The Transformers Thread (licensed) Next

I still think Soundwave as a headmaster with a base mode makes no sense and is incredibly stupid.

I didn't say it was a good idea. Just that it's one they actually did, and it sort of sets a boundary for "not G1 enough"

For me it's about 25% nostalgia and 75% what looks really cool to me that drives any transformers purchases. I like things that work for me on a conceptual and aesthetic level, Sarah Stones Windblade art does that for me. I'd just like a really nice bust or something.

My reasons for collecting certain toys is about the same, aesthetics over nostalgia in most cases. If a crappy looking figure is made of a character for whom I've a fondness, I'll pass on it.

Windblade, if nothing else, has become good conversation fodder. I don't read the comics, so what I know of her, besides her fandom creation, is what I glean from conversations here. I like the design, minus the kabuki head (why would an alien robot have features reflecting those of ancient Japan? Really stupid), and I love Stone's Animated-ish take. I bought the Deluxe figure, which I found disappointing. There's an RiD figure coming, but I hope eventually they'll release one that's directly based on Stone's art....except it better not be MP, when so many of the original G1 cast have yet to be made.

Wow... what a lazy redeco...

not just lazy....cheap too. is the off white bare plastic? they got rid of some paint decos to make it more cartoony and well cheaper to make...did they give us solid plastic instead of clear plastic headlghts? the only improvement for cartoon uber alles folks is the white thighs. easy pass.

It is a present from my best friend, and He ordered it through amazon. We don't know if the amazon store will replace it. If they don't, we will perhaps have to find another one. At this point, I feel this is an engineering fault, and I would not mind getting something else entirely. This sucks, I was so exited about Devastator.

Hmm if he got it straight from amazon and not one of the secondary vendors you probably have a good chance at a refund but not a replacement. For what its worth when everything works on UW and CW Devy he is fantastic but they are made to the cheapest tolerances so the toy could be somewhat cheaper than the 3rd party alternatives. Good news is there are plenty of Devastator alternatives on the market.

I think the super fans are sometimes more obsessed with the Sunbow animation than they are with cool transforming robots. This MP-14+ reissue appears to be the direction that the MP line is taking, though. And I agree with Scyla, it is sad. The upside is that I'll have more money for other things like 3P releases.

I like the design, minus the kabuki head (why would an alien robot have features reflecting those of ancient Japan? Really stupid)

I know it's stupid and makes no sense in fiction, but I love the kabuki head. a kabuki themed super robot just makes sense to me as a visual concept.

I think the super fans are sometimes more obsessed with the Sunbow animation than they are with cool transforming robots. This MP-14+ reissue appears to be the direction that the MP line is taking, though. And I agree with Scyla, it is sad. The upside is that I'll have more money for other things like 3P releases.

I don't get why some people are so fixated on the animation when it looks like crap even for the time.

:edit:

something I was just wondering, how big is MP optimus primal going to be? I think it would be really hilarious if they made him in scale with the G1 MP's and made him as small as bumblebee.

Edited by anime52k8

I don't get why some people are so fixated on the animation when it looks like crap even for the time.

:edit:

something I was just wondering, how big is MP optimus primal going to be? I think it would be really hilarious if they made him in scale with the G1 MP's and made him as small as bumblebee.

Nostalgia---it's one hell of a drug. :lol:

On a side note, I hope I don't come across as anti-Sunbow. I enjoyed what the studio did with the animated version of The Tick in the 1990s.

I must be in the minority. I actually do prefer animation look ( though I will not be double dipping) because I was first into the cartoon before the toys. And when I did get toys I wanted them to look like the cartoon. My entire adult life as a collector has been about acquiring the most screen accurate toys I can get. I do admit thought that rerelease is a waste.

I guess I fall into an odd sort of middle ground. I don't want toys that are too close to the old animation models, because they had a pretty simplistic look and I think toys that are too slavish (like DacaToys' third-party Kronos aka not-Skyfire) tend to look dull or unfinished.

At the same time, I want my Transformers to look G1 (or, occasionally, IDW). I want my Wheeljack to turn into a Lancia-ish white race car with red and green markings, not a white and blue Mustang. I heard he was pretty good, but I skipped Generations Rhinox because Beast Wars isn't G1 (even if it's in the same timeline, technically). I bought Hegemon to replace the original Classics Megatron, because Megatron should be silver/gray and black, not white and purple. And even though he's still basically CHUG-sized, I'm going with Toyworld's Bii instead of MP Bumblebee because the MP's alt-mode is too realistic and his bot mode is too animation. I dig Bii's shorter alt and more heroic bot.

I guess I'm just weird that way.

I may have mentioned that my cousin is giving me a Cloud 9 Quakeblast (Shockwave) for my 40th but my recent bump to the head has made me a little more stupid than normal so apologies..

As I've mentioned a few times previously im really not a Transformers fan at all but Shockwave has always been a personally favorite and when I saw his Quakeblast on display I thought it was mega cool!

So he said he'd get one for me! Though I have to admit i am feeling a little dirty and guilty about getting excited for this thing seeing im such a gung ho Macross fan.. then the next obstacle to overcome is do I and where to display the bloody thing?? Why does life have to be so friggin hard!?!?

TF-Cloud9-W-01-C9-QuakeBlast-shockblast-

I just can't stand the head on Quakeblast. Also, illegal third party toys in tn official transformers thread :o

It's a better head than Quakewave's, at least. Takara's got the best mold, aside from the wrong coloration.

But really, the original toy is 70% there. Heck, all three modern "interpretations" are using only slight tweaks to the 80s arms and torso, transformation included. .

I think they're technically on this side of the law, though it's damn obvious what they want us to think. Much like Asus' Transformer tablets.

But I am not a trademark lawyer.

Quakewave and Quakeblast both go for the animation head: broad, flat, with very little taper and a shollow set eye. I want toy style: taller, heavily tapered front to back, and with a massive yellow eye in an opening set so far back it looks like a black void.

basically I want Mp shockwave with quakeblast's paint, and it's because of you people.

Edited by anime52k8

Poor Soundwave. Constantly having to scan in a new disguise to keep up with human technology. :lol:

On Shockwave, I think MP-29 is doing it right. Anyway, I like mine. But I would be up for a toy version that includes additional paint apps. I like it when Takara goes in that direction.

For 3P, I have Quakewave instead of Quakeblast. Both the third-party Shockwaves are big guys, and both made compromises in certain areas. It may be the photo, but I don't like the look of Quakeblast's clown shoes, for instance. But I gotta say that Quakewave's feet are too tiny by comparison and his legs are too blocky. Takara's hose seems better than Quakewave's hose. At least, you don't have to worry about it looking awkward if you want to use the light-up gimmick in the arm. I have noticed some people are saying that MP-29's hose is fragile. If that's true, then I hope MP-29 gets some third-party add-ons: a more durable hose and articulated left hands to match with the right ones that are already included.

And that leaves me waiting for a good seeker. I'm not a fan of MP-3/MP-11 anymore, so the official Takara versions are out.

Edit: clarified some stuff

Edited by technoblue

Vlenhoff, sounds like it. Sorry for all your woes with Devy. Hopefully you can get a satisfactory resolution.

Technoblue- Count me in for a new MP seeker mold; they redesign everything else, and it could use a redo.