The Transformers Thread (licensed) Next

Tigertron repaint. With this the updated original Axalon crew will be complete. Dinobot was not original. He joined episode 2.

Man I wish the original ARK crew (MP) was complete....

Tigatron and Cheetor are different animals.

This is like the whole MP Sunstreaker thing all over again with all the people going "Why haven't we got MP Sunstreaker yet? All they have to do is repaint Sideswipe yellow and do a new head!"

Tigatron is a lot bigger than Cheetor. Cheetor is a cheetah. Tigatron is a tiger.

but their robot modes ARE identical other than color and the animal head on their chest. You could totally remold cheetors alt mode from a cheetah to a tiger. as for size, beast wars scale made no sense anyways.

but their robot modes ARE identical other than color and the animal head on their chest. You could totally remold cheetors alt mode from a cheetah to a tiger. as for size, beast wars scale made no sense anyways.

Well, to be fair, the original toys shared the same mold except for different heads, so it's understandable for folks to make that deduction. I agree, they're different animals, and tigers are much larger than cheetahs, but from TakaTomy's POV, I'm thinking they'll likely reuse the Cheetor mold.

I'm curious to see how it turns out; the Generations toy from a few years back didn't look that good to me, so I never got it. It seems odd to me that Megatron isn't the second MP BW figure. I expected them to make the two leaders and call it good. So now I wonder how many of the BW characters are going to get the MP treatment?

This. Transformation is identical, original toys are identical except for the obvious parts. TT may do some small remolds to bulk it up abit to make it more tiger sized but they're going to release a Tigatron out of this figure.

This. Transformation is identical, original toys are identical except for the obvious parts. TT may do some small remolds to bulk it up abit to make it more tiger sized but they're going to release a Tigatron out of this figure

I hope 3rd party manufacturers don't start to switch to Beast Wars now because I have no interest in BW toys. ^_^

I'm in for anything MP related when it comes to Beast Wars, Beast Wars was my jam. If Takara and third party move in that direction, I'll definitely be a VERY happy camper. There's been so much focus on combiners lately from Takara and third party, which I don't do, so I'd like to see Beast Wars finally get some high-end figure love.

I like BW too, although nowhere near as much as the cars and such, but I do have Rhinox, Rattrap, and Waspinator from a year or two ago, and I like them a lot. I was curious when MP Primal was announced, but honestly, I don't feel the final product warrants the MP name or price. I think it would have made a splendid leader class toy, and I would have gladly paid $40 or for him. So, if third parties ever tried their hand, I'd be interested to see how they'd approach making them. I'd love to see some BW figs with fur or simulated skin textures and such.Third parties have the luxury of being innovative and attaching a price afterwards, where TT are more constrained to budget.

I was feeling a bit impetuous yesterday, and decided to go ahead and get MMC's Ocular Max Sphinx(MP Mirage), after sitting on the fence for a long time. I'm glad I did, as the blue version is becoming scarce to find for sale. I also PO'd XTransbot's Eligos, as I love Cyclonus' design, and I doubt TT, if they ever make him, or anyone else will come close. I'd love to get Toyworld's Constructor as my one and only Devastator, but there are a lot of other things, more practical things, for which I could use $600. Like upcoming Delta valks. :p

I like BW too, although nowhere near as much as the cars and such, but I do have Rhinox, Rattrap, and Waspinator from a year or two ago, and I like them a lot. I was curious when MP Primal was announced, but honestly, I don't feel the final product warrants the MP name or price. I think it would have made a splendid leader class toy, and I would have gladly paid $40 or for him. So, if third parties ever tried their hand, I'd be interested to see how they'd approach making them. I'd love to see some BW figs with fur or simulated skin textures and such.Third parties have the luxury of being innovative and attaching a price afterwards, where TT are more constrained to budget.

I was feeling a bit impetuous yesterday, and decided to go ahead and get MMC's Ocular Max Sphinx(MP Mirage), after sitting on the fence for a long time. I'm glad I did, as the blue version is becoming scarce to find for sale. I also PO'd XTransbot's Eligos, as I love Cyclonus' design, and I doubt TT, if they ever make him, or anyone else will come close. I'd love to get Toyworld's Constructor as my one and only Devastator, but there are a lot of other things, more practical things, for which I could use $600. Like upcoming Delta valks. :p

You won't regret grabbing Sphinx, PS-01A and BadCube Sunsurge were my first third party figures, both are excellent. PS-01A is selling out quick too like you mentioned, I'm not a Diaclone fan, but the red Liger version will be the only version of that sexy mold available here in a bit...

And Megatron was the same size as both of them, despite being a tyrannosaurus.

Yeah, Megatron scanned a baby T-Rex :p

Tigatron was shown in the show as being bigger than Cheetor. I'm not saying that it won't happen, just that I'll be a bit disappointed if it is just a straight repaint with a new head. If they upsize it a bit, I'll be happy.

What I really want though is a Masterpiece Optimal Optimus. Bring that on already!

I think the show at that point was taking great pains to be as toy-accurate as possible, so probably.

Looking at toy pics, less obvious screwholes and plastic voids would be nice. And more articulation.

Dang it, I was out on travel all last week and it seems every Takara Blurr pre-order has sold out when I wasn't paying attention. I'll have to track one down if more pre-orders open up or wait for after release.

The Titans Return line is going to be an interesting mix and match for me between Hasbro and Takara versions, very piecemeal. I wish there was an easy comparison site between the versions, because it's not just paint apps that differ on this line.

Wasn't Optimal Optimus already show accurate?

I think the show at that point was taking great pains to be as toy-accurate as possible, so probably....Looking at toy pics, less obvious screwholes and plastic voids would be nice. And more articulation.

He's fairly accurate, but a lot of compromises were made for the light/sound gimmick. His chest cannons aren't retractable and the battery pack means he has a huge ungainly backpack in bot mode which means from any angle other than directly front on, he looks dumb.

His gorilla mode is excellent though and the jet mode is ok. Tank mode suffers the most overall.

seriously why the purple windows? everything else looks good. i'd hav preferred no flame deco though

I'm fine with the purple windows cause purple is cool/Decepticon but I do agree on the no flame deco. If I didn't already snag Road Rage for a great price I'd be all over this but as it stands...... ehhh I'll skip it.

OH why can't the windows just be dark tint. Yes, Decepticons are eccentric, I know.

If Loudpedal was just black, no sticker, and if his windows would be black tainted, this would be an instant hit...

for me.

Deluxe-class Combiner Wars Groove came today.

Bot mode:

post-187-0-93354600-1464399283_thumb.jpg

Aesthetically, this is everything I wanted in a Groove toy, so (aesthetically, at least) I think he's a much better-looking Groove than the Legends-class or even Maketoys' Axle. The only complaint I have here is that he could have used more gold on his chest, but I guess they're not into painting the combiner pegs.

Articulation-wise, he's standard CW fare. His shoulders are on ball pegs and can easily rotate or extend laterally 90 degrees. He's got a bicep swivel, but no wrist swivel (which I'm kind of not used to after playing with so many 3P toys lately). His soft-ratcheted elbows can bend 90 degrees. His head is on a ball joint without a ton of up/down or left/right tilt, but no issues turning his head. His waist swivels, his ball-jointed hips get you all the range you could want there, and his knees can bend 90 degrees. No foot articulation.

He comes with a pair of guns that are probably the nicest I've seen come with any Hasbro toy in forever, plus a hand/foot/gun that is similar (same? I'm too lazy to check) to Blades'.

Bike mode:

post-187-0-72604100-1464399299_thumb.jpg

His bike mode is... ok. It does hearken back to the G1 toy a lot, but the rear tire looks weird and his hands are plainly visible. Too bad he doesn't have wrist swivels...

post-187-0-53896700-1464399311_thumb.jpg

Plugging his rifles in helps A LOT. In addition to putting more sirens on the bike, they provide badly-needed coverage for that rear wheel. There's also a port in front of the seat for the hand/foot/gun, but don't do that. It looks stupid.

Speaking of rear wheels... his transformation is pretty standard CW fare, but he's one of the more annoying toys in the line. The peg holding the backs of his legs together is insanely tight... it has ridges on the end that almost make me think it should slide into a groove, but there's no way to do it. And, halves of his rear wheel have to be lined up just right while tabbing the legs together or they won't line up right, and you'll have to pull the legs apart and try again.

Arm mode

post-187-0-84841400-1464399319_thumb.jpg

It's ok. His shoulders nestle into the space between his chest and his back, and the joint that moves his shoulders is soft-ratcheted. That holds his arms in place, but there's no pegs, and again his hands are showing. I do like that his elbows are bent for this mode and not interfering with the elbow the way that Blades' do. The elbow is, as per usual, Groove's hips and knees. Although it's just a ball joint, it does feel tighter than a lot of other CW figures. The only place to store his guns is by having his own hands hold them.

One thing that bugs me, not for Groove but for the upcoming CW/UW Afterburner remold, is that there's only one wheel on the shoulder.

Leg mode

post-187-0-98038000-1464399327_thumb.jpg

It's a fine leg. It's got the G1 look with the front of the bike folded over the seat look. Still has visible hands, but his arms tab in this mode and lock his waist swivel in the process. His guns can be held in his hands, or pegged into the rear wheel as they are in bike mode.

Do I recommend him? Depends on how you feel about Rook as a Protectobot (although Hasbro has him replacing Smokescreen as part of Sky Reign, go figure). If you're cool with Rook and don't need Groove, or are fine with Legends Groove, he's probably the better toy. I do like him better than the Legends toy, though, and if you want Groove to be a leg for your Defensor then I do think he's worth around $20-$25, but don't go paying crazy scalper prices.

Quick opinion question: I just got an MP G2 sideswipe and can't decide if I should put the stickers on. I like the whole goofy G2 thing but I also like how good the car mode looks plain.

Quick opinion question: I just got an MP G2 sideswipe and can't decide if I should put the stickers on. I like the whole goofy G2 thing but I also like how good the car mode looks plain.

If you're going to display him in alt mode, don't sticker him. Nothing wrong with having a black Countach.

And if you're going to display him in bot mode, also don't sticker him. I dunno why David thinks G2 Sideswipe has to have neon green stickers just because the G2 toy that practically no one owned did. The definitive G2 Sideswipe is the old Marvel comics version, so what you really need is that Dr Wu bandolier.