should macross get a remake also

southpaw

I think that's a difference between old and recent animes. Nowadays, Fan service is mainly suggestive whereas old animes showed easier naked women.

It's not just anime. Watch many a mainstream film from the 80's and there'll be some casual nudity. It's much rarer in Hollywood nowadays.

The only way this will go, is me... completely naked with only a viking helmet on my head, goring keith with one of the horns. I want to feed the members of macross world from my nipples after he is dead. I wish to breastfeed you all.

Ahhh I've missed this crap.

no there should only be new stuff. You want SDF Macross? Watch the original. SCREW THE KIDS!

It's not just anime. Watch many a mainstream film from the 80's and there'll be some casual nudity. It's much rarer in Hollywood nowadays.

What's not rarer in hollywood these days is male nudity, wtf is up with that?

Honestly, there is FAR less woman-oriented fanservice in any media. Comical male nudity doesn't count, either.

It should if there's not a corresponding amount of comical female nudity!

(Actually serious here, not just pushing for more nekkid womens.)

What's not rarer in hollywood these days is male nudity, wtf is up with that?

True. Have you seen "Forgetting Sarah Marshall"? You get an eyefull twice,if it wasnt for Mila Kunis, I would have turned off the dvd player.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, no remakes, no live action adaptations either.

Let's see some new Macross anime please.

Graham

+1

I used to be pro-remake (thinking about the SDFM with modern animation made me salivate). But the more I think about it, the more I want to see some new characters and the expansion of the Macross universe. Build on the success of Frontier.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, no remakes, no live action adaptations either.

Let's see some new Macross anime please.

Graham

+2

But not just macross; videogames, movies, comics, books, tv series... Stop squeezing the franchises 'till they're just dry nonsense, please.

Edited by s001

+2 But not just macross; videogames, movies, comics, books, tv series... Stop squeezing the franchises 'till they're just dry nonsense, please.
I dunno, I don't mind seeing the new footage of the original series. The cut scenes from the pachinko game are awesome, the live-action commercials, the new toys (Yamato stuff...well, not really new, but look awesome compared to the Chunky-Monkeys of the 80's), even the animations from that DYRL Sega game back in the late 80's, early 90's, and what about Macross The First Manga? A remake is going to happen, it's just a matter of time, whether it be by the creators, or the fans. Yamato 2199 to me is a good example of some remake treatment. Fresh animation, original designs. Absolutely love it. Yamamto live-action movie....well, heavy tribute to the original designs, not exactly the same, but pretty damn nice nonetheless. And if the creators don't do a remake of SDF Macross with fresh animation, then it's just a matter of time before the fans will be capable of doing a decent one, with fresh animation, maybe even with live action CGI, but reusing the original sound track/voices. Just look at what fans can do now, without corporate backing:

sdf-1_transformation_firing_robot_mode_renderman_2.jpg

redblue.jpg

VF-1A_In_Flight_Motion_02.jpeg

VF1_wireframe7.jpg

It's just a matter of time. I predict that in less than 10 years, someone or group will do it, probably even from this forum, and I look forward to that day.

Edited by peter

Ah yes, we're certainly getting closer to that long awaited day when photo realistic depictions of the beloved VFs will see the light of day. Those Valks look great.

I still think a side story set during reconstruction prior to the launch of Megaroad would work. How's this for a pre-requisite love triangle:

Our hero pilot finds himself stuck in the proverbial good girl vs bad girl dilemma. Good girl can be one who's been a friend since they were schoolkids--maybe a year or two younger--that he's been close with, but never romantically; by some miracle she's also survived the holocaust as well, and finds her way to Macross city with other survivors. Each has lost all their other family, and as such they're drawn to each other for support and friendship after they're reunited; he swears himself to protecting his thought-lost friend and becoming the best VF pilot he can be (maybe even fly a patrol in same sqn as a visiting Hikaru or Max even?) but it grows into more.

Then, enter bad girl: she can be a micronized Meltran pilot who's been detached to a UN Spacy unit on the same base as our hero maybe? She can be a foil to our good girl, providing the temptation and dilemma for our hero, i.e. pick the sure thing of settling down with good girl--who could be facing her own inner conflicts of fear and prejudice stemming from her losses and the destruction she's seen--versus choosing the excitement, uncertainty and "danger" factor of going after the bad girl, who could just as soon kick his a$$ as love him.

eh? eh? Such a scenario could be fleshed out quite nicely. It could work...

Edited by reddsun1

A show set during reconstruction focusing on someone that took the loss of family very hard would be interesting. Perhaps blaming all Zentradi and hating them, being forced to work with some or get out of (whatever they do).

Yup - it's been done a million times (once with a character called Sam Francisco...) but it would fit very well in the reconstruction period.

I've been enjoying watching the dubbed eps of Macross on crackle.com. Just finished up "The Big Escape," and the scene where Hikaru and Misa start to ponder the origins of the Zentraedi got me to thinking: the bad guys in all the subsequent Mac series have been somewhat lacking, in comparison to the villians I would like to have seen and finally learned about--and that's the Supervision Army.

Varja; Varuta; Protodeviln; Birdman?!? phooey! Never mind that BS. I wanna learn more about the conflict that essentially caused an entire civilization [Zentraedi] to resort to genetically altering and separating, to dedicate itself solely to warfare just to cope with combatting the Supervision Army. Some brief comments in that ep [and by Millia in "Blue Wind"] infer that the Sup. Army is pretty much the only enemy the Zentraedi fear as a serious threat. Wonder what kind of drama would pop off if they were to enter into the mix, begin interacting with Zentraedi AND what's left of humanity, eh?

I've been enjoying watching the dubbed eps of Macross on crackle.com. Just finished up "The Big Escape," and the scene where Hikaru and Misa start to ponder the origins of the Zentraedi got me to thinking: the bad guys in all the subsequent Mac series have been somewhat lacking, in comparison to the villians I would like to have seen and finally learned about--and that's the Supervision Army.

Varja; Varuta; Protodeviln; Birdman?!? phooey! Never mind that BS. I wanna learn more about the conflict that essentially caused an entire civilization [Zentraedi] to resort to genetically altering and separating, to dedicate itself solely to warfare just to cope with combatting the Supervision Army. Some brief comments in that ep [and by Millia in "Blue Wind"] infer that the Sup. Army is pretty much the only enemy the Zentraedi fear as a serious threat. Wonder what kind of drama would pop off if they were to enter into the mix, begin interacting with Zentraedi AND what's left of humanity, eh?

Macross 7 essentially explained the whole "Supervision Army" thing...what other questions do you have?

Macross 7 essentially explained the whole "Supervision Army" thing...what other questions do you have?

Oops. Didn't know that. I've never watched Mac 7, haven't bothered to even try to investigate/follow after reading synopses and generally unfavorable reviews involving space whales, Nekki Basara and "listen to my song!" <_<

So, how'd it explain that whole deal? You won't spoil it for me by divulging. Still not terribly enthused about Mac 7...

Edited by reddsun1

Oops. Didn't know that. I've never watched Mac 7, haven't bothered to even try to investigate/follow after reading synopses and generally unfavorable reviews involving space whales, Nekki Basara and "listen to my song!" <_<

So, how'd it explain that whole deal? You won't spoil it for me by divulging. Still not terribly enthused about Mac 7...

I would describe the resolution as unsatisfactory.

I've never watched Mac 7, haven't bothered to even try to investigate/follow after reading synopses and generally unfavorable reviews involving space whales, Nekki Basara and "listen to my song!"

Well those people are just wrong. Some people out there have to be though. Keeps things in balance.

The supervision army are Zentradi/Protoculture that have been brainwashed to serve the Protodeviln. The Protodeviln are extra-dimensional beings who are inhabiting Protoculture developed super zentradi known as the EVIL series.

Bloody 'ell, they weren't kidding!

A guy flying a Valkyrie with a guitar? energy "vampires"? Valkyries with tits?

"Attack? No way! My songs will work on them, too!"

Are they f'ing serious? :blink:

PASS...

Uh huh, and if your only experience of Macross was Hikaru hiding under a table of bra's & panties, or riding his flying bicycle, you probably wouldn't watch Macrsos either. Hell, what are you so busy doing, go watch 7.

Macross 7 wasn't my cup of tea, but it is well worth it for Macross fans to watch it. At. Least. Once.

Recommendations:

1) view it as a girl joins rock band, slice of life drama series. Not, repeat, NOT as a mecha show.

2) do not, repeat, NOT watch more than 2 episodes in a single sitting or per day.

Also consider this: Macross 7 is full of originality: it dares to try new stuff and to be different. As those original things are new, there are bound to be some that you the viewer don't like.

... and if all else fails, distract yourself by paying attention to the setting as its developed and marvelling at the economy of line in the character and Valkyrie designs.

The supervision army are Zentradi/Protoculture that have been brainwashed to serve the Protodeviln. The Protodeviln are extra-dimensional beings who are inhabiting Protoculture developed super zentradi known as the EVIL series.

Hmmm. Well, my imagination was definitely going in a different direction as to filling in the blanks on the Sup. Army and its relationship to protoculture/Zentraedi, after watching "The Big Escape." Oh well....

Anyways--did I mention how fuggin' awesome these Valks are?

redblue.jpg