should macross get a remake also

southpaw

Anime reboots don't go as wrong as hollywood reboots do (in general). Hell, what do you think DYRL was? Personally, I'd love to see a new version of the original Macross. Not because of HG & robotech, not because the animation is dated, and not for catharsis. I'd love to see it because it'd be freakin' awesome to see it done. Who hasn't drooled over that pachinko game footage?

I agree with you Keith, sometimes Anime reboots can work out very well and DYRL is a great example of that, its funny in that I never really thought of DYRL as a reboot until you mentioned it. Though the uniforms, mecha, Zentradi, Meltrandi and our Baby the SDF-1 all got revamps yet the characters basically remained the same and overall the plot which I liked, since they took the best of the series and then made the movie. Hell they even kept most of the original score and music.

Yes the anime intro for pachinko game is beyond frakking awesome, if a remake looked just like that and overall an accurate remake of the original series then I'm all in.

Also if they want to replace the infamous DISCO scene, with a basic night club thats a change I wouldn't mind! :p

Edited by 505thAirborne

Anime reboots don't go as wrong as hollywood reboots do (in general). Hell, what do you think DYRL was? Personally, I'd love to see a new version of the original Macross. Not because of HG & robotech, not because the animation is dated, and not for catharsis. I'd love to see it because it'd be freakin' awesome to see it done. Who hasn't drooled over that pachinko game footage?

Agreed. Like I said, what a reboot of SDFM would need is only some attention to the details. I'd love to see updated visuals. I'd love to see the characters dressing in 2008-2009 fashion. I'd love to see them use gadgets that were contemporary in 2008-2009. I'd love to see greater attention to military procedures and dialogues (esp. in radio chatter) and much better dogfights (please, no more stock footage). But I'd stick to the core plot; even the love triangle is just fine as it is - no need to turn it into Dawson's Creek with a mecha-filled battle as a wallpaper.

Am I alone in really really NOT wanting to see them using modern gadgets?

I honestly LIKE anachronistic retro-future technology. It's an integral PART of science-fiction in general to me.

Genuinely curious if that's just me.

Edited by JB0

I honestly LIKE anachronistic retro-future technology. It's an integral PART of science-fiction in general to me.

Yes, but my motives are different. By now Macross is an alternate history. It makes little sense to me that a society who has been reverse engineering protoculture technology since 1999 is still at the same tech level as us in consumer electronics etc. In an updated Macross I'd go with a 2010ish world filled with what for our time would be futuristic tech.

You're probably not. I won't want to see modern tech retroactively inserted into older shows either.

Leave the "remakes" alone, I say. It didn't work for me for Hokuto no Ken, don't think it's necessary for Macross, either. I think it'd be cool to see alternate stories told within the same timespan of the early Macross era, i.e. other character stories during/immediately after Space War I. That way, it'd be conceivable for cameos from favorite Macross characters, without too much chance of conflicting or changing continuity of the original series...

CG mecha and traditionally hand animated characters just doesn't seem to work well together, unless you use cel shading(?) for the CG.

Why not leave well enough alone??

I personally don't care for a remake. It's just another excuse to turn the beloved SK style VF-1 into a Hasegawa-stick like VF-1.

I like my VF-1s on the slightly heftier side. There, I've said it, and proud of it. :wub:

indeed.

IMHO, the YAMATO 1/60v.II should be the template that any animation team

taking on an SDFM remake project should fall back upon.

truly, the 1/60V.II really is the closest that ANY depiction of the VF-1, in three dimensions, has EVER come

to realizing the full VF-1 concept with little to no "Anime Magic" whatsoever,

and, as far as i can imagine, is VERY close, if not EXACTLY what a "Real" VF-1 would HAVE to be designed like

in order to achieve it's iconic FIGHTER/GERWALK/BATTROID conversions in any sort of truly believable "Realistic" fashion...

Leave the "remakes" alone, I say. It didn't work for me for Hokuto no Ken, don't think it's necessary for Macross, either. I think it'd be cool to see alternate stories told within the same timespan of the early Macross era, i.e. other character stories during/immediately after Space War I. That way, it'd be conceivable for cameos from favorite Macross characters, without too much chance of conflicting or changing continuity of the original series...

CG mecha and traditionally hand animated characters just doesn't seem to work well together, unless you use cel shading(?) for the CG.

A sidestory with cameos of the original characters? Now, that's a very interesting idea.

Yeah, why not? How about a side story about a pilot/squad that helps deal with Zjentohlauedy and para-military uprisings on Earth and near-orbit during reconstruction after Space War I; they must battle hardship, loss, and try to find hope & love in a seemingly desolate world, all the while forging themselves into an elite fighting squad using the (now) classically familiar Macross mechs that we all know and love...

Oh, one standout could be like, a custom Tomahawk Destroid (materials/parts scarcety will call for ingenuity, after all) that's been built-up for close combat, with VF styled arms & manipulator hands, and an over-the-shoulder beam cannon.

It could allow a chance for cel-shading/animating VFs in action much more realistically (edited kinda like "combat footage," similar to the style used for the new BSG series mebbe?) in different tactical roles: Apache-esque GERWALK armor hunts; gound strikes in support of the Destroid ground pounders; furious space/aerial combat maneuvers against Gnerl Figther Pods and Anti UN fighters; and of course hand to hand against the Regults, Queadluuns, Nousjadeuls...

And of course, this could mean canonizing new custom VF-1 squadron color schemes...

(I was gonna say one idea could be a real hot-ship for the hero of the series, a custom/upgraded VF that could serve as inspiration for the VF-1X; but those don't come along until 2025 or so, according to timelines I've seen online)

Edited by reddsun1

I think it'd be cool to see alternate stories told within the same timespan of the early Macross era, i.e. other character stories during/immediately after Space War I. That way, it'd be conceivable for cameos from favorite Macross characters, without too much chance of conflicting or changing continuity of the original series...

THAT I could endorse.

I think I've said before it sounds like a fun idea.

I admit it'd never happen, but I'd like to see a story told from the eyes of a Destroid pilot. It'd be a very different take on the same story, and give the poor ground-pounders some much-needed street cred to boot.

That really just sounds like the existing post war episodes with a helping of niche appeal militarism.

Or it could be a great vehicle to explore other "human" relationships in the same world with some action tossed in. It depends on the writing and the subject, not the general setting.

hey, after all it did work for Bandai/Sunrise. 08th MS Team, 0080: War in the Pocket and 0083: Stardust Memory (although I have never liked Anavel Gato's character) come to mind. Those were pretty good--told side stories set apart from the main series, and managed to not suck...

ed: although I know I must concede that those all managed to expand the ever-important toy and model lines for Bandai; which wouldn't be the case for Macross here. I know that would be the biggest hurdle, making it such a hard sell.

then again, Yamato certainly doesn't seem to mind producing variants of the v2 1/60s as it is. Mebbe that would finally help justify expanding to include enemy mechs?

Edited by reddsun1

I'll agree that 0080 is a wonderful character driven story but I feel 08th and 0083 are pretty shallow echoes of much better moments in the Gundam franchise. Either of the latter two would have faded into mediocrity without the Gundam brand.

You're correct that all of them had a lot of help thanks to the Gundam merchandising machine.

Just think of it, it could finally provide a means to see--and more importantly, produce/market merchandise for--mechs like: Gnerls; Glaug Power Ups; re-issue the Queadluuns, etc, etc. With, of course, weathered variants to follow, appropriately marked-up...

gnerl_small.gif

glaug-booster_small.gif

I'll agree that 0080 is a wonderful character driven story but I feel 08th and 0083 are pretty shallow echoes of much better moments in the Gundam franchise. Either of the latter two would have faded into mediocrity without the Gundam brand.

You're correct that all of them had a lot of help thanks to the Gundam merchandising machine.

I believe you are both wrong. All three of the above titles didn't have much merchandise when the OAVs were being released. OAVs pretty much count on video sales (LD & VHS at the time) only.

Yup; at the end of the day, that's pretty much the primary consideration for any potential addition to the Macross franchise at this point: how many toys/models/lunchboxes/pachinko games/etc is this gonna sell?

Well dude, no one is suggesting that the '82 SDFM get "Lucased" and disappear off the face of the Earth (or so we have been told :rolleyes: )! Hell it is getting the Bluray treatment and there is little more that can be done to it after that...

I agree with Keith on this one. We westerners have become jaded by the Hellywood accountants and their pretentious minions fixing what was never broken in cinema. We can at least have some faith that any sort of Macross reboot would respect the source material much more than anything coming out of California...

Edited by Zinjo

I believe you are both wrong. All three of the above titles didn't have much merchandise when the OAVs were being released. OAVs pretty much count on video sales (LD & VHS at the time) only.

Actually both 0080 and 08th MS team had pretty good model kit lines when they were released. Every major Zeon design from 0080 got a plastic kit and there were three Federation kits. All of my original 0080 kits are marked 1989 and the OVA debuted in March of that year.

Similarly, the 0083 kits are also marked 1991 which is the year the OVA debuted. The 0083 line was rather small though.

The 08th line also coincided with the OVA's release. In fact the line was well received for providing the first modern 1/144th scale Zaku kit.

Edited by VF5SS

Personally, I never understood all the 0080 love, and while 0083 & 08th MS Team are fun, they miss the whole Newtype/Oldtype core that all mainline Gundam stories are about. If you guys want a Macross sidestory that isn't about singing idols, transforming robots, etc, and focuses on grunts, dare I say that's not Macross.

If you guys want a Macross sidestory that isn't about singing idols, transforming robots, etc, and focuses on grunts, dare I say that's not Macross.

Very true. Also, don't forget the romantic triangle element. The "romantic triangle" is one of the base elements of every Macross series.

Personally, I never understood all the 0080 love, and while 0083 & 08th MS Team are fun, they miss the whole Newtype/Oldtype core that all mainline Gundam stories are about. If you guys want a Macross sidestory that isn't about singing idols, transforming robots, etc, and focuses on grunts, dare I say that's not Macross.

Perhaps, but it begs the question can a non-valkyrie story set in the Macross universe be considered a Macross title?

Is the universe capable of expanding to include other types of dramatic stories?

Bubblegum Crisis had "ADP Police Files" and "Paradise Dolls", in Live Action we have the new "Prometheus" set to take place in the Alien universe but not include the "alien" (as far as we have been told).

This isn't an unheard of concept, just an under exploited one, IMHO...

Edited by Zinjo

Last time I've said this, I was bullied, but since you're already talking about it,

Why not a new Movie/Serie/bunch of OVAs about the Megaroad 01?

I dream with it since, well, since DYRL :3

How about the Megaroad-01 VS Sara + Shinn + AFOS Gesthalt superweapon! In otherwords, ain't gonna happen!

How about the Megaroad-01 VS Sara + Shinn + AFOS Gesthalt superweapon! In otherwords, ain't gonna happen!

A remake of the original series have the same ~happenability~ level of it, but I'm not rubbing it on nobody's face :3

Dream by dream, I'll stay with my Megaroad series Ç2

A remake of the original series have the same ~happenability~ level of it, but I'm not rubbing it on nobody's face :3

Dream by dream, I'll stay with my Megaroad series Ç2

-Evangelion Rebuild

-Yamato 2199

-Gundam: The Origin

-Casshern Sins

-Tekkaman Blade

-Bubblegum Crisis 2040

Just a few examples of how probable it is to get a remake of a series. Considering Mikimoto already started Macross The First raises the probability of it happening with Macross. As for Kawamori, since he just did Aquarion Evol, we know he hasn't recently changed his mind about redo's, and all he's really said is that he wouldn't continue the original series story, never said he wouldn't remake it.

Edited by Keith

-Evangelion Rebuild

-Yamato 2199

-Gundam: The Origin

-Casshern Sins

-Tekkaman Blade

-Bubblegum Crisis 2040

Just a few examples of how probable it is to get a remake of a series. Considering Mikimoto already started Macross The First raises the probability of it happening with Macross. As for Kawamori, since he just did Aquarion Evol, we know he hasn't recently changed his mind about redo's, and all he's really said is that he wouldn't continue the original series story, never said he wouldn't remake it.

You's on FIRE dude!

A Megaroad story would be like finding out the enigmatic "Force" is really just a bunch of parasite bugs. The mistique of the Megaroad is akin to the enigma of the PC, neither can be directly visited without severely diminishing their power on the lore of Macross.

Hinting at what happened to the Megaroad or revealing more about the PC is one thing, to actually see either in a production would kill their legends in a very bad way. It would be a "Jump the Shark" or "Nuke the Fridge" moment for the franchise.