Pre-emptive, thumbs down.

I really wanted to like the original, but it was just horrible. No way to rescue this franchise.

They should just make another movie with another title: Monsters from the Pacific

There, done.

I didn't find it horrible, just bad and tedious (I found Battleship, as insipid as that was, to be far more entertaining, for example)... and incredibly derivative. And since sequels are almost always worse, often exponentially worse, than the first movie, the chances of improvement are minuscule at best.

Edited by mechaninac

It looks fan made because I'm pretty sure that's the bleeping IJN Yamato on the right.

And her sister ship Musashi......though they looks little smallish in scale.

Edited by peter

• 1 month later...

18" Cherno Alpha came out recently, I got mine, and he's f%$#@!& awesome, I like him more than 18" Gypsy Danger. That all aside, if you're into the 18" line, don't waste your money on Knifehead, mine and many others have fallen apart :(.

post-12821-0-66362300-1420592645_thumb.jpgpost-12821-0-55837500-1420592685_thumb.jpg

I am REALLY impressed with the lights, they're really well done, Gypsy disappointed me in that department but Cherno delivered. And what's next? Well this guy of course.

Pacific-Rim-Striker-Eureka-18-Inch-Figur From what I read he may cost a bit more, supposedly NECA is trying to work in a functional chest that opens up tor reveals his cannons like in the film.

Does that actually work out to about 1/144 scale for the jaegers? ~200 ft tall, right?

Got any hg gundams to stand beside them?

I'm not too sure what scale these would be, according to the Pacific Rim Wiki Gypsy Danger was 260ft. tall and Cherno Alpha was 280ft. tall, no gundams for comparison either, sorry.

I'm not too sure what scale these would be, according to the Pacific Rim Wiki Gypsy Danger was 260ft. tall and Cherno Alpha was 280ft. tall, no gundams for comparison either, sorry.

Which'd make Gypsy about 1/173 scale. And Cherno 1/187.

Pity they aren't to a scale instead of to a size.

Which'd make Gypsy about 1/173 scale. And Cherno 1/187.

Pity they aren't to a scale instead of to a size.

Actually I'm pretty sure they are all in the same scale. The 18" in the title of the series is just a rough description of the size of the figure in the box, Gypsy is about 18", but Cherno is roughly 20" which seems to relate to their actual size differences to me, Knifehead is about 20-21" which is also quite fitting as far as scale goes. I'm sure the scale is one of the two you mentioned, or somewhere in the middle, the box makes no mention of scale, and I can't find anything online either.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Hey folks.

A a long time Japanese mecha fan, I have pretty much finished collecting Gundam and Macross toys so I got bored and tried getting into Transformers(Third Party + Masterpiece). However, I settled on Pacific Rim instead.

I watched the film back in 2013 and was not aware how great the NECA toys were. I am aware of market leader designer quality toys such as Hot Toys(30cm heroes), ThreeA/Zero(45cm mechs) and Sideshow Collectables(statues).

NECA appears to be a budget version of large scale western sci-fi characters. Certainly, their Marvel ones look inferior to the Hot Toys counterpart. But NECA at the moment is the main licensed maker of Pacific Rim toys, hence not many competitors out there. I was actually eager to wait for a Kaiyodo Revoltech Jaeger to be in the works before I started buying. They do have those capusle sized figures though.

I got into the 18 inch Jaegers as I was looking for a budget, fully painted, 18 inch, colossal sized toy. I got the Cherno Alpha and Striker Eureka. I am very fond of 18 inch figures(mainly mecha) and might get Halo Master Chief as well. I've been upgrading from Robot Damashii, then to Bandai Chogokin/Macross, and now this. This is certainly an upgrade in terms of size, but not in terms of price, so it is a win win situation.

Not getting 18 inch Gipsy Danger yet as the 7 inch V 2.0 may pave way for an 18 inch 2.0. Meanwhile, I am pretty sure that more figures will come out leading up to the second film in 2017. Crimson Typhoon and Coyote Tango could do an 18 inch as they made movie appearances.

I am pretty certain that we will get a Revoltech Gipsy Danger after all the Star Wars stuff is over. Another thing I've noticed is that Japanese toys tend to be no more than 18-25cm for mecha, due to their residential constraints. ThreeZero is a Hong Kong company and takes the Japanese engineering approach to create ultra high detail of both American sci-fi and some Japanese mecha into American size (30-50cm).

I've always liked Pacific Rim more than Bayformers as the Hollywood mecha franchise. Bayformer licenses are everywhere. Maybe Pacific Rim will become more mainstream after the second movie is released.

• 1 month later...

I thought a sequel to something like this would be cheaper since design work and potentially some cgi work from the first film could be leveraged. It never seems to work out that way though.

You'd think that eh? But unfortunately not, every new Production Designer attached to any sequel will want to put their own personal stamp/mark on the franchise so they will "re-design" everything even if it's just ego (especially with North American designers). It's pretty rare to have art departments that would have worked on multiple films to re-use anything (this would have been my first film where I worked on the original and the sequel - most often the sequel is filmed somewhere else cheaper than the original). Its so sad to see all the amazing sets get trashed in giant garbage bins at the end of any show - its just too expensive for the studios to rent space to store anything these days. Its cheaper to re-build everything. I guess ILM would have the original digital models, but because of new software advances and probably new designs, its not often it gets reused without substantial work to modify the assets.

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/09/17/pacific-rim-2-guillermo-del-toro

But at least one person thinks the Pacific Rim sequel is still happening. “We are still turning in a screenplay and a budget in three weeks,” writer-director Guillermo Del Toro tells EW. “As far as I’m concerned, it’s not gone. We’re still on it.”

Del Toro says the film’s delay is only temporary. “It moved further,” he says. “I may do another movie in the middle.”