Legos, anyone?

danth

21 hours ago, M'Kyuun said:

It's so mine. Fortunately, I'll be in Seattle for a LEGO convention next weekend, conveniently close to a LEGO store. I hope they still have them in stock by the time I arrive.

I wanted to go to that brick con as it was the closest to me here in Montana, but work had some personnel shake ups and I can't get the time off for the event due to short staffing.

Would have been neat to see if they had any neat castle stuff for sale, but oh well. Have fun! 😉👍

11 hours ago, renegadeleader1 said:

I wanted to go to that brick con as it was the closest to me here in Montana, but work had some personnel shake ups and I can't get the time off for the event due to short staffing.

Would have been neat to see if they had any neat castle stuff for sale, but oh well. Have fun! 😉👍

Aw man, sorry to hear. It would've been nice to meet another fellow MWer.  Hopefully next year. Thanks for the well-wishing; it's always fun!😁

Boy, I went to bed early, and figured I'd wait until the initial rush for the Concorde faded away.  Checked this morning, and nope!  Was able to log in, throw two in the cart, and check out with no issues.  I think the past couple of orders I've made on LEGO.com have been much smoother than things went for a while, so maybe they've smoothed out their stock/supply/ordering process somehow.

2 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

Boy, I went to bed early, and figured I'd wait until the initial rush for the Concorde faded away.  Checked this morning, and nope!  Was able to log in, throw two in the cart, and check out with no issues.  I think the past couple of orders I've made on LEGO.com have been much smoother than things went for a while, so maybe they've smoothed out their stock/supply/ordering process somehow.

Same experience here, scored a Concorde two Speed Champions kits for the kiddies hassle free.  I'm looking forward to the Concorde, it looks to be a fun build.

• 2 weeks later...

I built this beauty last night, and what a great LEGO experience it offers. It's chock full of ingenious techniques and solutions that make the build all the more enjoyable, and the instructions often feature blurbs regarding said techniques or new parts (i.e. a new cone for the nose & tail and the sloped windscreen for the droop snoop, both created specifically for this model, but hopefully will see their ways into other sets). I can't remember ever building a set where so much behind-the-scenes info is given in the instructions, but I hope it becomes a regular practice. The landing gear functionality is smooth and bears the weight of the deceptively light model easily. This is not a small model, but with so many of its 2083 pieces allocated to that long thin fuselage and large thin delta wings, it feels lighter, albeit a bit awkward, to handle. However, the designers created a lovely stand that mirrors those used on many collector grade aircraft models down to a printed 4x8 inverted tile (83496) (first I'd seen this part) reflecting an official looking placard detailing some of the aircraft's history and performance characteristics. Beyond the placard, there are a number of printed elements in the set; no stickers to bog down the build. The total package looks professional, classy, and visually striking. The model itself features moving flaps and elevons, a double rudder, retractable gear, the famous droop snoop, and a 6 x 16 section of fuselage that's removable to expose some detailed interior featuring seats and a couple lavs. Even as a long-time builder of both MOCs and sets, I was struck by the many challenges imposed by trying to recreate this smooth, sleek, curvy aircraft into a LEGO replica, which itself is daunting before including the many working features, especially the mechanics involved in making the gear extend and retract with a single mechanism (rotating the tail cone). Kudos indeed to the design team for pulling it off so majestically. In every conceivable way, this set is a triumph, and I can't recommend it enough.

image.png.f7380e478e4f504e3edefe7cf4ee9654.pngimage.png.0c5420211beb3696ed38df15ccf6d379.png

I hope this set meets with great sales success and ushers in a wave of other notable aircraft. I'd personally love to see some X-Planes, like the Grumman X-29 or the Bell XV-15, or the Bell X-15 get sets. True, they were military, or military funded aircraft, but I think the distinction between research aircraft and combat aircraft is clear in these cases thus clearing them of LEGO's pesky, and somewhat murky, no-modern-warfare restrictions. If research and development aircraft can be realized as LEGO sets, the potential is there for many a great set celebrating historical achievements in aviation. 

Speaking on the two new parts, I'm guessing aircraft enthusiasts, especially those building jets, will welcome the new cone piece. It's 4 studs wide at the base, three bricks high, and tapers to a three-stud diameter. The second new piece is the windscreen for the Concorde's droop snoop. It has a 4 x 4 footprint and tapers from about a brick to two bricks high (rough measurement). The most outstanding feature of this part is that it is dual molded, a thin white plastic shell over an internal clear dark tinted windscreen. I wish this methodology found its way into more windscreens, as LEGO often opts to paint them, and the paint apps are often too thin and allow for notable bleed through of the base plastic. Fortunately, LEGO lived up to Ole Kirk's 'only the best is good enough' motto with the development of this piece. I'm not sure the windscreen will have as much utility outside of this set, such is its particular nature, but I'm glad they made it all the same, as it definitely makes the Concorde model look great.

Edited by M'Kyuun

8 hours ago, M'Kyuun said:

I built this beauty last night, and what a great LEGO experience it offers. It's chock full of ingenious techniques and solutions that make the build all the more enjoyable, and the instructions often feature blurbs regarding said techniques or new parts (i.e. a new cone for the nose & tail and the sloped windscreen for the droop snoop, both created specifically for this model, but hopefully will see their ways into other sets). I can't remember ever building a set where so much behind-the-scenes info is given in the instructions, but I hope it becomes a regular practice. The landing gear functionality is smooth and bears the weight of the deceptively light model easily. This is not a small model, but with so many of its 2083 pieces allocated to that long thin fuselage and large thin delta wings, it feels lighter, albeit a bit awkward, to handle. However, the designers created a lovely stand that mirrors those used on many collector grade aircraft models down to a printed 4x8 inverted tile (83496) (first I'd seen this part) reflecting an official looking placard detailing some of the aircraft's history and performance characteristics. Beyond the placard, there are a number of printed elements in the set; no stickers to bog down the build. The total package looks professional, classy, and visually striking. The model itself features moving flaps and elevons, a double rudder, retractable gear, the famous droop snoop, and a 6 x 16 section of fuselage that's removable to expose some detailed interior featuring seats and a couple lavs. Even as a long-time builder of both MOCs and sets, I was struck by the many challenges imposed by trying to recreate this smooth, sleek, curvy aircraft into a LEGO replica, which itself is daunting before including the many working features, especially the mechanics involved in making the gear extend and retract with a single mechanism (rotating the tail cone). Kudos indeed to the design team for pulling it off so majestically. In every conceivable way, this set is a triumph, and I can't recommend it enough.

image.png.f7380e478e4f504e3edefe7cf4ee9654.pngimage.png.0c5420211beb3696ed38df15ccf6d379.png

I hope this set meets with great sales success and ushers in a wave of other notable aircraft. I'd personally love to see some X-Planes, like the Grumman X-29 or the Bell XV-15, or the Bell X-15 get sets. True, they were military, or military funded aircraft, but I think the distinction between research aircraft and combat aircraft is clear in these cases thus clearing them of LEGO's pesky, and somewhat murky, no-modern-warfare restrictions. If research and development aircraft can be realized as LEGO sets, the potential is there for many a great set celebrating historical achievements in aviation. 

Speaking on the two new parts, I'm guessing aircraft enthusiasts, especially those building jets, will welcome the new cone piece. It's 4 studs wide at the base, three bricks high, and tapers to a three-stud diameter. The second new piece is the windscreen for the Concorde's droop snoop. It has a 4 x 4 footprint and tapers from about a brick to two bricks high (rough measurement). The most outstanding feature of this part is that it is dual molded, a thin white plastic shell over an internal clear dark tinted windscreen. I wish this methodology found its way into more windscreens, as LEGO often opts to paint them, and the paint apps are often too thin and allow for notable bleed through of the base plastic. Fortunately, LEGO lived up to Ole Kirk's 'only the best is good enough' motto with the development of this piece. I'm not sure the windscreen will have as much utility outside of this set, such is its particular nature, but I'm glad they made it all the same, as it definitely makes the Concorde model look great.

Nice pics, it looks quite majestic just straight out of the box.  If ever an enterprising 3rd party company made custom printed pieces and/or decals for British Airways or even the BOAC prototype liveries, I just may have to grab another Concorde kit. 

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Tking22 said:

Damn, I had no idea this was going to be a thing, looks pretty good too, definitely grabbing one!

https://www.lego.com/en-us/product/dune-atreides-royal-ornithopter-10327

10327.png?fit=crop&quality=80&width=1200&height=1200&dpr=1

10327_alt1.png?fit=crop&quality=80&width=1200&height=1200&dpr=1

10327_alt3.png?fit=crop&quality=80&width=1200&height=1200&dpr=1

10327_alt6.png?fit=crop&quality=80&width=1200&height=1200&dpr=1

10327_alt11.jpg?fit=crop&quality=80&width=1200&height=1200&dpr=1

The functions the Lego designer was able to pack into the set are impressive. Here is a behind the scenes video of the Ornithoper with the designer: 

I kind of went a little crazy recently and bought a few kits. Namely the entire Lego City Explorers/Arctic 2023 line.

It started with just buying the submarine to go along with, then the small motor boat, then the arctic shelter with snowcat, then the big floating boat, and finally the skimobile.

To make matters worse I also picked up the undersea exploration sub base as well as a couple submarines from the older 2020 line. Plus a couple of minisubs variants from the 3 in 1 sets.

So now I have this desk with a big damn boat on it, underneath that is a shelf with the sub base and subs and a bunch of divers on the very bottom shelf with some rocks and coral with a angler fish.

Edited by renegadeleader1

This looks so good!  Man I really didn't want to branch out from Star Wars too much, but with this and Concorde lately, my wallet needs a break especially with the strike still going on!

• 5 weeks later...
On 11/24/2023 at 6:43 PM, renegadeleader1 said:

UPS guy dropped off my package from Lego from their Insider sale, and well...

Not a single thing is intact outside of the mini bag of picka brick parts. What hurts the most is the Majistos workshop gift with purchase is mangled and I just can't get another one, as it officially sold out today.

IMG_20231124_193432.jpg

That sucks, and I can sympathize having received my share of dented up boxes in the past. The exclusivity makes it sting worse, I'll grant you, and FWIW, you have my sympathies. At the very least, I hope all the parts and instructions are still there and undamaged. I do wish LEGO would improve their packing, as there's usually no more than a bit of wadded brown packing paper inside a thin-walled cardboard box that just seems to invite dents and tears which does little to protect the treasures inside. You could contact customer service, but with their supply exhausted, I'm not sure what they could do for you. However, OTOH, what could it hurt?

I bought the Medieval Blacksmith during a sale since the set will be taken of the market end of this year and I might buy the Lion Knights Castle next year to go with it.

Being the first set in the style of the modular buildings it was an interesting building experience. But I think I'm more of a vehicle guy than building houses and after a while the stacking small pieces on top of each other got a bit tiring.

Maybe I'm more of a Lego Minecraft guy?

But it is cool to see what you can do with all the small pieces. Loved building the quilt for the bed. 

On 12/2/2023 at 3:16 PM, renegadeleader1 said:

Welp.... There goes $1500. 😂

Sweet assortment. After a decade's absence, I'm just happy to see LEGO leaning so heavily into an original sci-fi space theme again, 10497 Galaxy Explorer notwithstanding. I hope it sells well and sends a message that sets like this are desirable. I'll be doing my part- my wallet's crying already. 😁

I kinda wish the space ring had the modules situated end to end so the astrofigs could travel continuously through the station, but there's something to be said about the playability of the modules in this configuration. Moreover, it appears that similar modules come in the Base & Rocket Launchpad set and the Command Rover set so you can swap out modules or potentially snap them onto the ends of already attached modules. Overall, I'm liking the look of the theme and what it offers. 

Edit: With even more sets being revealed across other lines, it seems the new Space subtheme is crossing into other major themes like Creator, Technic, Friends, Dreamzzz, etc. 2024 is definitely shaping up to be a meaty year for LEGO Space fans, especially since a decade has passed since the last original Space theme, Galaxy Squad, premiered. After all this time of near absence, it's quite unexpected to see such a large and diverse selection of Space sets, especially in a single year, but I get the sense LEGO's testing the waters, so to speak, to gauge desirability. There's certainly a lot of nostalgia-driven conversations happening on any number of fan forums and on social media, but the real test will be in sales numbers, and I hope sales are well beyond expectations. I've greatly missed original sci-fi space set releases and I hope this diversification to appeal broadly proves successful in making Space an evergreen theme again.

Edited by M'Kyuun

• 2 weeks later...

The new wedge piece that comes to a point at the nose looks nicer, but overall, I think 2014's X-Men vs the Sentinel (76022) offered more for much less money. It came with four figs who looked better IMHO, especially Magneto w/ his helmet and Storm with her cape, could still fit 4 figs internally, had a pop-up shooting mechanism, and came with a small but poseable Sentinel to face off against.  My advice would be if you want an X-Jet, buy the old one on Bricklink for half what this one's going for. If you want to mod it to be more like the new set, just wait a couple more months and the parts will likely be available on LEGO's online Pick-a-Brick or on Bricklink.

image.png.443d48d7434f94cd1a21e2d265d5524c.pngimage.png.b9de74cf57efeb3b77a3aa6dcc67f387.png

For  the utterly insane price the set is, they should have given everyone dual-molded legs.  I mean, Cyclops doesn't even have PRINTING on his, and looks like an unfinished prototype. Yellow boots, yellow thigh straps, that's the 90's Cyclops look.  This is, Cyclops forgot half his costume while rushing out the door, and only had time to put on his chest-strap.     

I mean, isn't the "superhero brightly colored kneeboots" look THE thing that dual-molded legs best take advantage of, and would be the primary reason it even exists?  (black shoes/boots are easily achieved via printing, but printing bright colors over other bright colors often have issues)   

23 hours ago, David Hingtgen said:

For  the utterly insane price the set is, they should have given everyone dual-molded legs.  I mean, Cyclops doesn't even have PRINTING on his, and looks like an unfinished prototype. Yellow boots, yellow thigh straps, that's the 90's Cyclops look.  This is, Cyclops forgot half his costume while rushing out the door, and only had time to put on his chest-strap.     

I mean, isn't the "superhero brightly colored kneeboots" look THE thing that dual-molded legs best take advantage of, and would be the primary reason it even exists?  (black shoes/boots are easily achieved via printing, but printing bright colors over other bright colors often have issues)   

QFT. If ever there was a good reason for dual-molded legs to exist, it would be to make more accurate superhero figs where the technique would have its greatest impact. They seem to cherry-pick which figs get it, though, and oft times it's not where it'd be most effective.

The price of the set is a head-scratcher. Many of the parts are pre-existing, which means few to no new molds, but perhaps some parts in new colors which cost more. But given the bulk of what's in the set, the price seems unreasonably high, even with a number of larger parts in the set. The only fig I want out of the new set is Rogue. The X-Jet looks good, but if I end up getting it, it'll be on discount.

I've been quietly at work, with M'Kyuun's help, building my own Variable Glaug. Here are some in-progress images. It's mostly done with some polish remaining. I had a mishap while transforming her into fighter mode, so you guys will have to wait for that :P. I'll be making her nameplate sometime in the next couple of days and adding her to my Macross cabinet (or above it) soon. This has been alot of fun to build. I decided to color it similar to the Officer's Glaug. M'Kyuun's design is spectacular and mind-boggling in its transformation mechanics. It is not a parts-former, aside from having to swap junction positions for the legs when going into fighter mode. Truly a marvel to work with.

Another thing I need to do is seek better parts with greater friction for the joints, which is fun considering that requires me to go fish for parts at the local stores :). Once that's complete it'll be much more solid. It could also be that I'm doing things wrong, too :P.

image.jpeg.9c7f08be23580bed442aa5199bb0f896.jpeg

20231217_154221.jpg

20231217_154152 (1).jpg

20231217_154117 (1).jpg

20231217_160505.jpg

20231217_160804.jpg

20231217_160900.jpg

Did some late Christmas shopping at Walmart today. Those Lego Avatar sets were on a steep discount and I couldn't resist another submarine.

What was surprising is seeing the new Lego City Space sets out in the wild. They had the the Interstellar Ship(which honestly looks like a reject from the Buzz Lightyear line) and the Construction mech in addition to the Dreamzzz and Friends crossover kits. 

As far as I know these aren't supposed to hit store shelves for at least another couple of weeks.

IMG_20231220_220107.jpg

On 12/17/2023 at 1:59 PM, Test_Pilot_2 said:

I've been quietly at work, with M'Kyuun's help, building my own Variable Glaug. Here are some in-progress images. It's mostly done with some polish remaining. I had a mishap while transforming her into fighter mode, so you guys will have to wait for that :P. I'll be making her nameplate sometime in the next couple of days and adding her to my Macross cabinet (or above it) soon. This has been alot of fun to build. I decided to color it similar to the Officer's Glaug. M'Kyuun's design is spectacular and mind-boggling in its transformation mechanics. It is not a parts-former, aside from having to swap junction positions for the legs when going into fighter mode. Truly a marvel to work with.

Another thing I need to do is seek better parts with greater friction for the joints, which is fun considering that requires me to go fish for parts at the local stores :). Once that's complete it'll be much more solid. It could also be that I'm doing things wrong, too :P.

image.jpeg.9c7f08be23580bed442aa5199bb0f896.jpeg

20231217_154221.jpg

20231217_154152 (1).jpg

20231217_154117 (1).jpg

20231217_160505.jpg

20231217_160804.jpg

20231217_160900.jpg

Kudos to @Test_Pilot_2 for courageously plowing into this project. It has been my hope since I originally posted my model here back in 2020 that other MWers would attempt their own versions, and it pleases me greatly to see that desire come to fruition so brilliantly. I'm both honored and humbled that he committed to it so wholeheartedly, and I hope it will inspire others to do so as well. Thanks @Test_Pilot_2for sharing your work, for your kind words here, and for all the behind-the-scenes conversations. It's been a pleasure getting to know you and share our love of sci-fi and LEGO. Cheers for diving in on my crazy design; may it be a fun and unique addition to your collection.

4 hours ago, renegadeleader1 said:

Did some late Christmas shopping at Walmart today. Those Lego Avatar sets were on a steep discount and I couldn't resist another submarine.

What was surprising is seeing the new Lego City Space sets out in the wild. They had the the Interstellar Ship(which honestly looks like a reject from the Buzz Lightyear line) and the Construction mech in addition to the Dreamzzz and Friends crossover kits. 

As far as I know these aren't supposed to hit store shelves for at least another couple of weeks.

IMG_20231220_220107.jpg

Oh man, I hope my Wally has them, too, as I'll be heading over there later today. I'm after the majority of those Space sets.

1 hour ago, Raikkonen said:

Release May - Space Minifigures CMF

image.jpeg.798b98ef097742a9b2e226a3f5d57828.jpeg

Want them all, but especially the M_Tron guy, the Ice Planet guy (that penguin is just too funny), the Blactron 2 guy, and the regular astronaut w/ flight pack. More than ever, I vehemently wish LEGO would reconsider their crappy blind boxes, as getting a full set of these guys, along with a few select multiples, is going to be challenging. I may have to buy a complete box of them just to be sure.

1 hour ago, M'Kyuun said:

More than ever, I vehemently wish LEGO would reconsider their crappy blind boxes, as getting a full set of these guys, along with a few select multiples, is going to be challenging. I may have to buy a complete box of them just to be sure.

For this year's series, the boxes are confirmed. 

Get a scale app, test it to see if your phone has 3D pressure sensitivity, and if it does, check youtube for the weight video and use that to get the figures at stores. Otherwise, get a pocket scale or Brinklink. I got the Marvels I wanted via brinklink at retail price, only cause I was too lazy to go to our Lego store which slightly cuts a slit in the box to see which one it is, and marks it on the box. (Some Lego stores in Europe do this, the Vienna actually sells them assembled. 

Edited by Raikkonen

3 hours ago, M'Kyuun said:

Kudos to @Test_Pilot_2 for courageously plowing into this project. It has been my hope since I originally posted my model here back in 2020 that other MWers would attempt their own versions, and it pleases me greatly to see that desire come to fruition so brilliantly. I'm both honored and humbled that he committed to it so wholeheartedly, and I hope it will inspire others to do so as well. Thanks @Test_Pilot_2for sharing your work, for your kind words here, and for all the behind-the-scenes conversations. It's been a pleasure getting to know you and share our love of sci-fi and LEGO. Cheers for diving in on my crazy design; may it be a fun and unique addition to your collection.

Thanks M'Kyuun, you're an awesome dude for helping me through the process. I PM'd you some more images and the work to replace parts to find that sweet tension spot is ongoing.

I moved stuff about in the cabinets in hopes to get this one in with the rest. I'm a fighter-mode guy, but I think this one needs to be Gerwalk all the way.

I'm excited to post my next MOC here, too :). 1️⃣🙋‍♂️

14 hours ago, Test_Pilot_2 said:

Thanks M'Kyuun, you're an awesome dude for helping me through the process. I PM'd you some more images and the work to replace parts to find that sweet tension spot is ongoing.

I moved stuff about in the cabinets in hopes to get this one in with the rest. I'm a fighter-mode guy, but I think this one needs to be Gerwalk all the way.

I'm excited to post my next MOC here, too :). 1️⃣🙋‍♂️

Cheers @Test_Pilot_2. Too kind! Good luck with parts and tension; the gods of ABS know the time I've spent doing swaptronics with parts trying to find that 'just right" tightness. It's a labor of love in the truest sense, but worth it when you find that perfect match. Looking forward to the revised cabinet arrangement, and given its command pod origin, I think GERWALK is the definitive mode for this particular valk. I'm not particularly a fan of GERWALK, but the Variable Glaug and the VB-6 Konig Monster are exceptions due to where they started out. And, yeah, bring on the next MOC. 😉