Legos, anyone?

danth

I’m planning to buy an USC Super Star Destroyer (10221) from the aftermarket.

Since it will be a pricey purchase I wonder what my best option would be?

Bricklink prices seems to be in the medium range and I assume that the buyer feedback is a good indication of the sellers reputation given it is smaller and more focused marketplace.

On ebay the prices seem to be on the high side but it offers additional protection through ebay itself. However, I heard some reports that scammers found some ways around the buyer protection.

On other platforms like Craigslist prices seems to be the lowest but I assume that the chances are much higher being scammed than on the other two platforms.

Does anyone on this board has any recommendations or experiences using these platforms when buying high priced items?

2 minutes ago, Scyla said:

Bricklink prices seems to be in the medium range and I assume that the buyer feedback is a good indication of the sellers reputation given it is smaller and more focused marketplace.

On ebay the prices seem to be on the high side but it offers additional protection through ebay itself. However, I heard some reports that scammers found some ways around the buyer protection.

On other platforms like Craigslist prices seems to be the lowest but I assume that the chances are much higher being scammed than on the other two platforms.

Does anyone on this board has any recommendations or experiences using these platforms when buying high priced items?

I suggest that you steer clear of Craigslist.  Just wipe it off your list of places of where to buy anything.

11 minutes ago, Valkyrie Hunter D said:

I suggest that you steer clear of Craigslist.  Just wipe it off your list of places of where to buy anything.

Thanks. It was just an example for another marketplace that I thought people are familiar with in the US.

In Europe there are other platforms where you can buy from private sellers but point taken. :)

7 hours ago, Scyla said:

I would stick with a place like Bricklink where there's a level of accountability if there's something wrong with the set. Another avenue is second-hand mom & pop stores like Bricks & Minifigs. Prices are generally pretty high, but usually they're operated by LEGO fans who will work with you if there's something wrong with the set. Ebay and Craigslist are a huge gamble; I'd avoid them, especially on such a large set.

Holy crap, they actually made a 3x3 to 4x4 transitional cone segment!  Only been waiting for that for.. oh, I don't know.. close to thirty years at this point. :p 

Love that they made the gear retract, I am definitely in for.. at least one.  Also.. that stand is freaking classy.  I love it.

Hi,

Found this two videos of Lego valkyries (mainly vf-1a & vf-1j I guess) that transform and with instructions to actually build them:

[LEGO] Building Valkyrie

and

Lego Transformable VF-1J Macross Valkyrie

Pieces can be ordered at BrickLink I think, althought it could be a hassle and needs patience to buy and build.

Many may already know about this huge lego technic moc but I still post it: This LEGO Valkyrie Is Possibly The Largest Macross Mecha MOC To Date

or at (almost same info, same pics): LEGO Robotech Valkyrie Yamato VF-1A. The Biggest MOC of it's kind!

Just wanted to share.

Cheers

Edited by macross-vf-1s

Ok, nose and gear aren't linked, but I think that mechanism is perfect.  I might need two of these... And I feel like I want to mix the parts and make an XB-70 in the same scale now. :lol: 

I think my only concern for the set is that the stand will need a wider/heavier base, so I might need to get some more brown bricks to bulk it up with.

Edited by Chronocidal

I think LEGO has really underestimated how popular this kit is going to be. Good aircraft kits are criminally underrepresented there…likely due to their stance of not wanting certain companies to profit because they also make military hardware. Such a shame that even regular old Airliners can’t be made either then. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Chris

6 hours ago, Dobber said:

I think LEGO has really underestimated how popular this kit is going to be. Good aircraft kits are criminally underrepresented there…likely due to their stance of not wanting certain companies to profit because they also make military hardware. Such a shame that even regular old Airliners can’t be made either then. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Chris

Maybe the collaboration with Airbus allows for a Eurofighter, ehm, Typhoon, uuh demonstrator jet?
Or maybe one that was modified as a rescue jet? ;)

The pods under the wings are clearly designed to extinguish forest fires!

image.png.9baf953e14de03edc9f5def7ea7e42aa.png

Edited by Scyla

Wasn’t one of the stated reasons that the “Rescue” Osprey was cancelled was because it is made by Boeing who also manufactures military hardware? Though that kit apparently did have some serious design flaws that maybe LEGO just used the “controversy” as a convenient out to cancel the kit. 🤷🏻‍♂️ I wonder how long until the pitchforks come out for the Concorde then because Aérospatiale and BAC are both military manufacturers too. Not wanting this to happen by any means just the inconsistency is odd. 

Chris

Edited by Dobber

8 hours ago, Dobber said:

Chris

Honestly for most aircraft I just go with COBI, they do quite good work and aren't averse to military kits.

Also they have a lot of very nice slopes and curves, which helps them get the shapes done well.

Edited by Sanity is Optional

That Concord looks amazing!!! I wished it was a more interesting livery but I guess it doesn't prefer either Britain or France.  That retractable landing gear mechanism looks great, I hope someone comes up with a mod with landing gear doors too!!!  When is the VIP points sale in the fall - I guess its too much to hope for its sale to coincide with the VIP, most likely will sell out immediately and be backordered for a while afterwards like the Aston Martin DB-5?

4 hours ago, Dobber said:

Wasn’t one of the stated reasons that the “Rescue” Osprey was cancelled was because it is made by Boeing who also manufactures military hardware? Though that kit apparently did have some serious design flaws that maybe LEGO just used the “controversy” as a convenient out to cancel the kit. 🤷🏻‍♂️ I wonder how long until the pitchforks come out for the Concorde then because Aérospatiale and BAC are both military manufacturers too. Not wanting this to happen by any means just the inconsistency is odd. 

Chris

I think the complaint wasn't so much about Boeing making military hardware, because they've done Boeing planes before.  It was primarily because the V-22 doesn't have any civilian version, even though it's been proposed (and ignoring the fact that LEGO made a knock-off Osprey before as one of their minifig-scaled sets).

The structural concerns were real though, I watched someone build it up from the instructions that were leaked, and the gearing system designed to move all the parts was ripping teeth off of the gears.  There were just too many stresses on them in different ways, and the shifting mechanism was causing hard stops and reversals.

There were definitely ways to mitigate that, and I think they proposed a re-design, but they probably took the easy-out blaming the military situation.

1 hour ago, Chronocidal said:

I think the complaint wasn't so much about Boeing making military hardware, because they've done Boeing planes before.  It was primarily because the V-22 doesn't have any civilian version, even though it's been proposed (and ignoring the fact that LEGO made a knock-off Osprey before as one of their minifig-scaled sets).

The structural concerns were real though, I watched someone build it up from the instructions that were leaked, and the gearing system designed to move all the parts was ripping teeth off of the gears.  There were just too many stresses on them in different ways, and the shifting mechanism was causing hard stops and reversals.

There were definitely ways to mitigate that, and I think they proposed a re-design, but they probably took the easy-out blaming the military situation.

Yeah, I believe that to be the case as well. It was an easy scapegoat to distract from the actual gearing deficiencies noted by several online reviewers who'd received early copies. I hold the LEGO Group in high esteem, but in this instance, I think they took the low road instead of just admitting there was an inherent issue with the set and redesigning it for wide release. I love the Osprey and was quite excited for the set's release; I was subsequently dismayed and disappointed when the cancellation and BS reason for doing so came about. After all, they gave us this gem. It may not be an exact replica, but the inspiration is pretty clear.

LEGO gosSIP: 100513 LEGO 60021 Cargo Heliplane box art and picture

Alas, what's done is done. I'm envious of the few lucky folks who were given the sets by LEGO. It naught but an investment for them now.

Edited by M'Kyuun

Apparently 2024 is going to be the year of Space. A Space CMF, another $100 spaceship (possibly Blacktron), two Space gift with purchase sets, two sets featuring aliens, and another wave of City Space.

I hope these "Space" sets really end up being true Space, either Classic Space or other vintage unlicensed sci-fi space throwbacks. Or even something new that continues where old Space left off.

Edited by danth

8 hours ago, danth said:

Apparently 2024 is going to be the year of Space. A Space CMF, another $100 spaceship (possibly Blacktron), two Space gift with purchase sets, two sets featuring aliens, and another wave of City Space.

I hope these "Space" sets really end up being true Space, either Classic Space or other vintage unlicensed sci-fi space throwbacks. Or even something new that continues where old Space left off.

I hope all of this is true. It's highly lamentable that the CMFs are going to be in boxes henceforth, as it'll make feeling out the ones you want impossible. Fortunately, I'm now privileged to have a new and second-hand LEGO store in town, so there's a chance they may get the figs out of box to sell without the hassle. Anyway, more CS throwbacks are always welcome, and I very much liked the direction they took with the 2019 City Space sets, especially 60228 and 60229, both of which were excellent. More of the same, or even going a step more sci-fi is alright by me.

Shameless plug; BrickCon is happening Sept 9-10 at the Meydenbauer Center in Bellevue, WA. If you're in the area and you enjoy looking at lots of incredible custom LEGO creations by adults running the gamut from pop-culture, art, sci-fi, fantasy, battle, castle, Technic, battle bots, great ball contraptions, & more, I highly recommend bringing the kids and spending the afternoon with us. 

Edited by M'Kyuun

6 hours ago, renegadeleader1 said:

I picked up the Black Knight's Castle set from a Bricks And Minifigs store in Monroe Washington. I paid $150 for it complete without minifigs. Considering how much the set is going for on places like ebay with kits in worse shape I think I got quite a deal.

As a fellow vintage set buyer (Classic Space themes for me), getting these large sets for under $200 these days is a pretty good deal. Sucks that the figs aren't included, as they will cost a fair bit to acquire as well. Vintage LEGO is very much a collector's game these days, and unfortunately, commands some hefty prices considering the piece counts, limited palette of the time, and more simplistic (and sometimes illegal) building techniques employed. But they have their charm, and I guess that's what keeps us engaged, along with the nostalgic factor.

• 3 weeks later...

It's so mine. Fortunately, I'll be in Seattle for a LEGO convention next weekend, conveniently close to a LEGO store. I hope they still have them in stock by the time I arrive.