Whats Lying on your Workbench MK IV

Urashiman

23 hours ago, derex3592 said:

ALL decals down and sealed in with gloss clear. No major calamities to report ...most detail painting done...windows done...getting to the home stretch now! 

20230625_182911.jpg

Looks great, nice to hear that things went smoothly on those decals 

Looking great @derex3592!  I'm getting the hang of these wallpaper decals too with my Galactica build...

Might I suggest toning down the blue of the front of the warp nacelles - it looks really bright, I think its paler and less saturated, more like a robins egg blue with light grey.  I think that raised bit at the top of the neck where it joins to the primary saucer is also this light robin's egg blue/grey.

3 hours ago, wm cheng said:

Looking great @derex3592!  I'm getting the hang of these wallpaper decals too with my Galactica build...

Might I suggest toning down the blue of the front of the warp nacelles - it looks really bright, I think its paler and less saturated, more like a robins egg blue with light grey.  I think that raised bit at the top of the neck where it joins to the primary saucer is also this light robin's egg blue/grey.

I had the same thought, but wondered if the colors in the photo might just be making it too saturated.  That probably is the color it was painted, but it didn't come out that bright on screen.  It should probably match the lighter blue seen on the panels around the deflector dish, the one directly under the starfleet emblem.

I guess this sort of thing theoretically counts as being on my workbench, since it's my current project, but I'm getting deep into the DCS cockpit build process.  While I know a lot of people make tutorials with laser-cut acrylic panels and backlighting, I decided to try what I had on-hand, which is just my 3D printer.  I'm not worried about backlighting or gauges/displays for VR, so as long as the buttons are in the right place, they should serve me perfectly well (and I've left room in the radio panel for a frequency panel just in case).

ss(2023-06-28at06_52.17).jpg.c7a4779704354fbc64324faec8b267e7.jpgss(2023-06-27at06_52.15).jpg.14b7bf1f949506d72be58e380c528dd4.jpg

Bonus points if you can ID the component reference names, and what plane they're from. ^_^ 

Edited by Chronocidal

6 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

I had the same thought, but wondered if the colors in the photo might just be making it too saturated.  That probably is the color it was painted, but it didn't come out that bright on screen.  It should probably match the lighter blue seen on the panels around the deflector dish, the one directly under the starfleet emblem.

I guess this sort of thing theoretically counts as being on my workbench, since it's my current project, but I'm getting deep into the DCS cockpit build process.  While I know a lot of people make tutorials with laser-cut acrylic panels and backlighting, I decided to try what I had on-hand, which is just my 3D printer.  I'm not worried about backlighting or gauges/displays for VR, so as long as the buttons are in the right place, they should serve me perfectly well (and I've left room in the radio panel for a frequency panel just in case).

ss(2023-06-28at06_52.17).jpg.c7a4779704354fbc64324faec8b267e7.jpgss(2023-06-27at06_52.15).jpg.14b7bf1f949506d72be58e380c528dd4.jpg

Bonus points if you can ID the component reference names, and what plane they're from. ^_^ 

Dude ... hahahahaah that is awesome. You are missing the seven segment display on the UHF radio for the freq. You gonna build that? Is the dial working on the rotary switch for the TACAN control panel? Gonna have the numbers on it as well? I know exactly which plane this is from, but want to let others give it a try as well.

Hehe, I might add more details later, but I'm building this primarily for a VR-focused sim pit, so I couldn't see them anyhow. ^_^  I'm leaving room on the back of the panels for extra stuff to be added if I want it later.

The TACAN dial is kind of a "best cheap option" though.  The numbers won't work, because I would need to either build a fancy gearbox to convert the motion into the right increments, or find myself a dual-axis multi-position switch dial with 14 notches. :lol:   The two dial segments do work independently, but they're just driving a dual-axis rotary switch that'll increase or decrease with each click.  It'll work for giving me something to interact with that isn't a cross-cockpit mouse click though, so that's all I really need.

7 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

Hehe, I might add more details later, but I'm building this primarily for a VR-focused sim pit, so I couldn't see them anyhow. ^_^  I'm leaving room on the back of the panels for extra stuff to be added if I want it later.

The TACAN dial is kind of a "best cheap option" though.  The numbers won't work, because I would need to either build a fancy gearbox to convert the motion into the right increments, or find myself a dual-axis multi-position switch dial with 14 notches. :lol:   The two dial segments do work independently, but they're just driving a dual-axis rotary switch that'll increase or decrease with each click.  It'll work for giving me something to interact with that isn't a cross-cockpit mouse click though, so that's all I really need.

hahaha - yeah, good point. Maybe you can use gears and transmit them to single axis dials or something. That might work, but maybe that is a bit of overkill hahaha.

That's so cool @Chronocidal - love the see the whole cockpit when you get it together!  (sorry don't know what plane its from but looks old like 70s but I do know its not an F-14)

Some more progress on the decals - so many tiny strips to cut out and place but it's coming along pretty nicely.  Already can see that there's going to be a lot of little spots that the decal sheets missed or the pattern is incorrect or too short that I'll have to repair later on.  Can't wait to do a dark wash over it to pick out the recesses and a bluish grey tint/dry brush to tone down the metallic sheen and pick out the highlights - but that's a while away...

IMG_1242.JPG.6c971998ec3f5e0f595472a2224fcf5d.JPGIMG_1285.JPG.5abdff88450b91356b48664a9f5f50c2.JPGIMG_1288.JPG.5ed50d09285ece667b52ff754af3df9b.JPG

@wm cheng Your Galactica is coming along GREAT! Yes, I know the nacelle blue is a bit bright, it's the only blue acrylic I had that I could paint by hand and just get it done. I'm going to tone down the ENTIRE ship with a few light misty coats of the hull color, Vallejo white grey.  That along with some light misty coats of Tamiya Smoke usually gives things a pretty realistic look.  I did the exact same thing on the Reliant and it turned out good.  I've decided NOT to do any battle damage on this Enterprise, I want a pristine new look on this one! 

Side note - I'm SO DONE with aztecs on starships for a GOOD LOOOONG TIME. I couldn't imagine taking on the 1/350 version. Just too daunting. The TOS 1/1000 didn't have aztecs and neither does Voyager, so those two will just be painted! THANK GOD.

2 minutes ago, derex3592 said:

@wm cheng Your Galactica is coming along GREAT! Yes, I know the nacelle blue is a bit bright, it's the only blue acrylic I had that I could paint by hand and just get it done. I'm going to tone down the ENTIRE ship with a few light misty coats of the hull color, Vallejo white grey.  That along with some light misty coats of Tamiya Smoke usually gives things a pretty realistic look.  I did the exact same thing on the Reliant and it turned out good.  I've decided NOT to do any battle damage on this Enterprise, I want a pristine new look on this one! 

Side note - I'm SO DONE with aztecs on starships for a GOOD LOOOONG TIME. I couldn't imagine taking on the 1/350 version. Just too daunting. The TOS 1/1000 didn't have aztecs and neither does Voyager, so those two will just be painted! THANK GOD.

What about hitting it with a pearlescent white afterwards?  I was thinking of doing that after the aztec decals whenever I finally get to the Enterprise/Reliant duo.  Yeah, the 1/350 Enterprise refit would be my ultimate "holy-grail" but it's in the $1K range just to get all the aftermarket stuff and lighting components and the multi-color pearlescent aztec just seems so daunting - so it will be after I "actually" retire.

@wm cheng - Now see----that's why I like you, I had the EXACT same thought about doing some kind of semi-gloss or pearlescent white or clear over the whole thing to kind of mimic what it looked like in TMP.  I've NEVER experimented with pearl coats and I don't want to ruin the model at this point.... Anybody got any suggestions???....

@derex3592 Your Enterprise is looking good!

@Chronocidal That's REALLY cool! I'm guessing F-4 (and a lot of other aircraft of the era)? If so, then there's a KY-57 coming too (voice encryption that sucked).

@wm cheng Your Galactica mods and paint are looking awesome! It's got a nice sheen to it.

@Rock Cool but different looking spray booth (at least form this perspective). - MT

@electric indigo is that Tutor going to be in the red & white snowbirds scheme?

@MechTech I like the sheen, but I'm not sure if it will dull down too much if I matte coat it - not sure what I'm going to do yet, still got a lot of decals to go.  Might hand brush matte/flat just in between the ribs.  Thinking of doing a bluish/grey drybrush overtop to give it a slightly bluier hue.

@Rock is that a fancy shiny new spray booth?  If so I'd like to learn more, I have a kitchen exhaust fan installed in the ceiling, but being 4ft-5ft away seems to be too far away and I have a bad case of the dried dust/overspray all over my workbench and would like something I can hook up to my exhaust fan that can capture more of the overspray on my bench.

On 6/29/2023 at 12:17 PM, wm cheng said:

That's so cool @Chronocidal - love the see the whole cockpit when you get it together!  (sorry don't know what plane its from but looks old like 70s but I do know its not an F-14)

Some more progress on the decals - so many tiny strips to cut out and place but it's coming along pretty nicely.  Already can see that there's going to be a lot of little spots that the decal sheets missed or the pattern is incorrect or too short that I'll have to repair later on.  Can't wait to do a dark wash over it to pick out the recesses and a bluish grey tint/dry brush to tone down the metallic sheen and pick out the highlights - but that's a while away...

IMG_1242.JPG.6c971998ec3f5e0f595472a2224fcf5d.JPGIMG_1285.JPG.5abdff88450b91356b48664a9f5f50c2.JPGIMG_1288.JPG.5ed50d09285ece667b52ff754af3df9b.JPG

It’s turning out great so far.

@wm cheng That would look great! I'd try the AK metalic color pencils or regular Prismacolor pencils. They look cool and are EASY to use. They look realistic too.

AND now for something completely different...

Ever wonder what would happen if you took a tiny paper model, blew it up and made it out of foam board? Me too! So I did (looooong story...)

After some editing and blowing it up to 1/72nd scale, this is what happened...

A standard 24" x 36" foam board sheet laminated with the print out on regular paper. It took about 8 sheets to make this model!

1(9).jpg.71b688f8440253dfc616bcd33e4215e1.jpg

Front and back. The original artwork was for paper, foam board is about 3/16" thick, so back-cut / bevels had to be made for it to fold correctly.

1(1).jpg.f511f45a1867048f1ffc79956dc6a287.jpg1(10).jpg.d71423bd48dc7a1789991e744bec65c2.jpg

Gluing the pieces together...

1(12).jpg.19bbd2259ce0f59c70017101e9a1f669.jpg1(11).jpg.c8779560712f61eef74bb51a552ac5cf.jpg

I cheated 😁 Instead of folding paper to make all those domes, I used old plastic shapes I saved (see kids, I told you saving those domes after last year's fireworks would pay off!).

1(13).jpg.00d08d0528b3c8cea8f93b3d706c13f9.jpg1(14).jpg.9bbc5b8e18ba126fa08adf1897da3e71.jpg

1(15).jpg.04c9ea51c554059316ca61f1cf927b63.jpg

Speaking of fireworks...

Happy Independence Day to my fellow Americans! - MT

I think I'm done with a project gundam I've been working on, i might add weathering though. So far this is my second model completed beyond a super sylph which has almost the same paint scheme.

20230706_145454.jpg.16a9fd20094a1d5d5e1d665446c7f30b.jpg

Forgive my awfull camera pls

20230706_141451.jpg.ddc5e1adf29ed65853fc43bb5377db26.jpg

20230706_134704.jpg.128c3e614b011b68935f90682e7d5622.jpg

I initially tried to paint it to resemble the Egyptian god anubis, but ended up looking more like it should be helping a certain police force stop a terrorist coup.         

Also please give criticism on what can be done better

3 hours ago, foundshaian said:

@wm cheng That metallic paint scheme on your Galactica is stunning. Most BSG models I've seen, at least in person, are painted in a matte-ish grey. I don't know if it's common to paint it metallic but this seems unique

Thanks!  I always thought it was quite metallic while watching the show - there seemed to be a lot of specular highlights in the episodes, its just the still renders that seem to render it flatter/greyer which wasn't what I had experienced when I saw it on TV.  I am going to tone it down a bit with a bluish grey drybushing afterwards and I think I'll paint/clearcoat the darker areas between the ribs matte/flat over the decals which will lighten them up a bit.  I'm a bit disappointed that the decals darkened the armored sections up so much that there's less contrast now between the armored and ribbed sections.  I started a little dark wash on the underside (I always experiment with the underside first) in the middle of the trench to see how the dark wash fills in between the ribs where there were no decals - it seems like its going to work out fine.IMG_1375.JPG.b2556b39ec8b936e5299c1e3cf5d487d.JPG

On 7/3/2023 at 3:41 PM, MechTech said:

@Rock Cool but different looking spray booth (at least form this perspective). - MT

Yep, still getting used to her.

On 7/3/2023 at 4:19 PM, wm cheng said:

@Rock is that a fancy shiny new spray booth?  If so I'd like to learn more, I have a kitchen exhaust fan installed in the ceiling, but being 4ft-5ft away seems to be too far away and I have a bad case of the dried dust/overspray all over my workbench and would like something I can hook up to my exhaust fan that can capture more of the overspray on my bench.

Yes Sir's. That is a Kaizo Waterfall spraybooth (Ver2.0 large) As the name implies, they use a waterfall and a fan to do their job. The waterfall goes down the backside where the white and black graphics are. The fan is above and behind it. The water catches the solid particles and takes them to a 1.2gallon tank below the stainless shelf and the fan takes the fumes away as needed. The booth can run the systems independently or together and has built in led lighting. I'm getting to the point where I'm also painting using more polyurethane 2k paints/topcoats and moving onto some of the larger (1/35 FSS/Gunpla for example) kits I have had stashed going forward.

They AFAIK are only sold through https://robotkai.com/collections/kaizo/Spray-Booth. This youtube did an indepth video review/demo here. Note his booth is missing some parts such as the clear plastic front.

Speed running my Wing Kitbash to try her out before moving it upstairs to it's new home.

Edited by Rock

NCC-1701-A reporting in and ready for action! This is the 1/1000 Round Two kit with the full Aztecs set.  Pretty pleased with how this one came out. Went over the entire thing with multiple thinned down coats of the base color to tone down the colors and decals. Yes, I know some of the accent colors aren't EXACTLY what is on the studio model but guess what, it's my model and I like it the way it is. Enjoy the pics! Also got a label maker so I can label my subs as I finish them. 

20230709_093537.jpg

20230709_093547.jpg

20230709_093600.jpg

20230709_093611.jpg

20230709_093625.jpg

20230709_093655.jpg

20230709_093729.jpg

20230709_093443.jpg

Wow! You guys are all pumping out some really great builds. After a really, really long hiatus I've been bitten by the bug again and gotten back into building.  Well After moving my workbench and stash around a bit.

I started this scratch/bash many years ago and decided to break it out and see what I could do with it.

It started out life as a Trumpeter 1:700 scale USS Abraham Lincoln CVN 72  aircraft carrier, but I decided to make it my own version of a EDF carrier from the Space battleship Yamato universe.

There's a bunch of parts from all sorts of stuff in here so far. I've ued bits from Gundam kits, Macross,  Armoured Core, S.B.Yamato, a Trumpeter 1:35 Morsar Karl, a Revell Magnaguard fighter from Star Wars and more.

I've taken inspiration from a few Japanese scratch builds I've seen, but I sort of making it up as I go along.

The super structure and guns are just placed there for now  to mock things up to get a sense of where I'm headed.

20230709_130653.jpg

20230709_130646.jpg

20230709_130604.jpg

20230709_130556.jpg

20230709_132318.jpg

20230709_131529.jpg

20230709_131637.jpg

Edited by Chas
typo.

@Chas Mate, you are talented. I know your using Yamato parts but it looks straight out of the show.

In spite of alot of modern media using 3D digital modeling for new mechanical designs, have you ever considered turning scratch building into a career?

Edited by foundshaian