Whats Lying on your Workbench MK IV

Urashiman

Ha! Nope all free hand. Currently working on the nacelles. I'll take a picture and show you all the progress.

Thanks for the compliments guys!

Chris

Edited by Dobber

Free hand? How? Can you describe to us your technique.

Sure, this is the first time I have used this technique...it's kind of an experiment.

I'm using artist pencils and blending sticks. I start by using the lightest shade of pencil....in this case 9H. What this does is prevents the pencil from going on too dark accidentally.i just draw on the pattern or shapes I want. Then I lightly shade in panels with the same pencil or if needed a darker version. Then I use the blending stick, which is pretty much just a cardboard rod that is sharpened, and carefully blend the shaded area together to get a uniform shade. If needed I'll touch up the panels edges and or use an eraser pencil to clean up any mistakes. I've been pretty pleased with the results so far. I like how using the pencils allows me to change the darkness of the panels on the fly....so I can have a lot of subtle variations.

Here are my pencils.

9889364b3778aeeefec6e3dee3cec067_zpsa1fe

Chris

I think the real question is more along the lines of "how do you make small squares and straight lines like that, free-hand?"

drawing circumferentially parallel arcs are probably even trickier since in the pattern Dobber used those tend to be longer than the radial lines.

i can't draw a perfect circle to save my life, but i have friends who were in architecture and fine arts who can draw perfect circles in one stroke like it was nothing :blink:

Ha! Nope all free hand. Currently working on the nacelles. I'll take a picture and show you all the progress.

Thanks for the compliments guys!

Chris

I think you really set the benchmark for tedious work. If only the people working on world peace & the cure for cancer had such enthusiasm...

-

Meanwhile, back in Olympus:

9463111915_60543e244f_z.jpg

I think the real question is more along the lines of "how do you make small squares and straight lines like that, free-hand?"

Ahh, gotcha. I've been drawing all my life so I guess I have an eye for it plus Chronocidal also hits the nail on the head.

Actually, for something like this, all the reference lines from the panels would be a great help. It's a lot easier to draw an evenly curved line when you have lots of parallel lines around to guide your hand. :)

Still, that's freaking amazing. Bravo!

I just work one section at a time And did most of the paneling before the halves are assembled, this gives me a flat stable side to rest on the table. i'm just careful where i place my hands to avoid smudging. when I have a good amount done i give it a spray of flat clear to seal and protect the pencil work. Once it is dry then i can touch it anywhere without worrying about smudging anything. The nacelles are a little harder as they are smooth with no grid lines. Plus they are already built so I don't have a flat side to rest on the table. I built these first before paneling because there where too many parts that needed to go together and would require a lot of sanding and puttying. He are the nacelles and what the assembled saucer looks like.

Chris

post-265-0-00206900-1375979445_thumb.jpg

post-265-0-64447200-1375979474_thumb.jpg

post-265-0-05393300-1375979506_thumb.jpg

post-265-0-48462300-1375979576_thumb.jpg

post-265-0-99872200-1375979616_thumb.jpg

Thanks, I'm getting really close now...just need to finish the nacelle paneling, then some touch up/ detail painting, paint the deflector, and then decal. Paneling will take the longest. I got replacement decals for the registry and name as the ones with the kit where incorrect....plus a lot of the detail decals that came with the kit where far to bright or the gray striping was too dark so that is why I painted them on instead. The cool thing about the new registry decals is that they also include alternate decals....not different ship names but extra decals so you can mark the ship more like TOS or the movie Refit. I'm going to use the refit style extras and put the registry and name on the bottom of the saucer (hated how the JJprise had the blank saucer under side) and put the ships name on the fan-tail instead of NCC-1701 (also something I didn't like since most ships real or otherwise, put the ships name on the stern.) There will also be a large full decal set with panels and Aztecing comming soon so I have a second kit I'll use that with when they are available...but this one will be unique.

Those decals can be found /bought here:

http://www.pntmodels.com/

I also made custome fan blades for inside the Bussard collectors....the kit doesn't have anything in there except a decal. My blades are perfect...bit they get the job done. ;) they can't be seen now since they are all masked up in the nacelles but here are early shots from earlier in the build.

Early in the construction:

4870665500a034ce2d2c1d299c523b14_zpsb168

After everything was painted and built:

fa0fa9d34b0af4380e4d19df877bed68_zpsbc3f

Chris

Edited by Dobber

Word of warning if you've got the launch arm kit, and haven't built it yet.

It ain't designed for Strike packs! :blink: The extra height of the RÖ-X24 cannon throws off the gripper fingers' alignment. Think I've got it sufficiently modified to work, though. Hopefully I'll be 100% finished in the next few weeks.

WOW! That is absolutely the best JJprise I've ever seen. Way to go on the free-hand paneling, that really elevates the finish! You've turned a horrible design (IMO) into a great looking model - congrats!

You know, something I still can't wrap my head around about the JJ-prise..

Did anyone actually ever figure out how big it is? Like, not how big it's supposed to be according to the people who said so, but how big it is based on the design?

I mean.. So ok. I think they literally said it's supposed to be bigger than the Ent-E. Did the artists just have no sense of scale, or did they seriously design it with 40 ft tall bay windows all over the hull? Because despite the ship being 3-4x bigger than the original, the windows are still in the same places, and still the same relative sizes.

It's like they copied all the nice hull details of the old refit design purely for aesthetics without it ever occurring to them that most of those details actually reflected the internal structure of the ship. This has been kind of lost on the newer designs like the Ent-E, but up through the Ent-D, the aztec panels on the saucer pretty much showed the layout of the internal bulkheads and living spaces.

I guess maybe that's a bit off the subject though, sorry :lol: I guess a better thing to ask here.. What does that kit reflect in terms of size? I don't know if there is any internal detail, but maybe what surprised me about the new design was that I didn't see that many windows anywhere.

Well it would have to be way bigger than the E...I mean you can't fit a giant Brewery in just any old Starfleet engine room... :lol::lol::lol:

LOL!!! I hated the engineering decks... the "look" of the JJ Star Trek is just un-forgiveable.

Thanks again guys. I was originally against the idea of the ship being as large as it is but I have come to accept it. There was a good thread about this over at SSM and after handling the model the things we thought we knew about it are wrong and things actually make sense. This is a fan made cutaway that shows things actually work. You can make out some figures at key areas of the ship like in front of the main view screen/window. From there everything else like windows, docking ports, ect actually work and fit.

post-265-0-04063900-1376435351_thumb.jpg

Work on the model is progressing steadily, the first nacelle is just about done. Also, I finally attached the saucer! That was a big moment that I was waiting for! Lol! Dry fit the nacelles afterwards to get an idea of what the model wold look like together...damn she's big!

@Derex, the viper is looking fantastic! Are you going to do a custom paint scheme or go with the canon Galactica paint job?

@Electric indigo, what is that from? It looks really cool!

Chris

Edited by Dobber

Dobber, this is the Gun Platform (or Mobile Fortress) from the 2004 Appleseed movie. Watch it dishing out mayhem and destruction here:

If you read the manga, don't bother to watch the rest of the movie...

I started painting the details and installed clear Wave eyes:

9504517430_1d71e90a81_z.jpg