1 hour ago, Seto Kaiba said:

What I've read on the subject is that the Delta in the title was based on the letter Delta being triangular. Apparently it represents, or is evocative of, the three main aspects of the franchise as a whole: songs, wars, and love triangles.

If that's the case, that's... well, exactly the kind of tenuous reasoning I'd expect from that show.

They could just as easily call Frontier, or 7, or etc., "Macross Delta." I'd even go so far as to say that the title better suits Macross Frontier than it does Macross Delta. Triangular imagery is prominent, the love triangle is a strong component, the show even features a song titled "Triangular," etc... If they had to go with Greek letters, they should have gone with "Macross Sigma Σ". The liberal use of W shapes, the forward-swept wings of the Siegfried making a W silhouette, the W hand sign, Walkure, etc.

12 hours ago, kajnrig said:

If that's the case, that's... well, exactly the kind of tenuous reasoning I'd expect from that show.

It's the only reason I've seen in writing from an official source: https://macross.jp/news-detail/81/

First of all, regarding the meaning of Δ, Mr. Kawamori said, ``It seems that there are voices saying, ``Is it a love triangle again?'' about Δ. For me, every time I make a new work, I think I should leave out one of the songs, the battle, and the love triangle, but I can't seem to get it right (laughs). When you say "Macross", you need those three elements. So, this time Δ is something I dared to put in the title so that I myself would not forget that element. However, if we simply put in three elements, it would feel closed, so we left a gap in the logo. I want you to expand your imagination from there,” a meaningful comment.

12 hours ago, kajnrig said:

They could just as easily call Frontier, or 7, or etc., "Macross Delta." I'd even go so far as to say that the title better suits Macross Frontier than it does Macross Delta. Triangular imagery is prominent, the love triangle is a strong component, the show even features a song titled "Triangular," etc... If they had to go with Greek letters, they should have gone with "Macross Sigma Σ". The liberal use of W shapes, the forward-swept wings of the Siegfried making a W silhouette, the W hand sign, Walkure, etc.

The uppercase delta Δ is also used as a mathematical symbol for change, so that's something I guess?  It's also the only one of the lot that actually has a wing structure named for it... though Kawamori initially undermined it by giving the VF-31 Siegfrieds forward-swept winglets.

Uppercase sigma Σ wouldn't fit nearly as well, since that's a summation operator... if you were doing an anthology show, that might be a good one to use for its title.

W... well, there are other Greek letters that look more like a W including uppercase Psi and lowercase Omega.

• 3 weeks later...

Alright, Seto, I have one that perhaps only you could answer, though I'll happily take what I can get for this.  I see a lot of comments to the effect of 'hold my beer' before someone tries something that usually turns out awesomely good, bad, stupid, ugly, funny or other (end results not being relevant to this question).  This, of course, got me to wondering:  What kind of beer do these folks drink?  Is there a Macross micro-brew?  Do the cultured Zentran or Meltran brew up a frothy keg or two?  And, if so (and most critically!) does someone make it IRL?

7 hours ago, talonlm said:

Alright, Seto, I have one that perhaps only you could answer, though I'll happily take what I can get for this.  I see a lot of comments to the effect of 'hold my beer' before someone tries something that usually turns out awesomely good, bad, stupid, ugly, funny or other (end results not being relevant to this question).  This, of course, got me to wondering:  What kind of beer do these folks drink?  Is there a Macross micro-brew?  Do the cultured Zentran or Meltran brew up a frothy keg or two?  And, if so (and most critically!) does someone make it IRL?

If DYRL? is any indication... Budweiser.

(One of the gag missile shots in the movie depicts one of the missiles as a can of regular Budweiser. The other, if memory serves, is a canned cocktail.)

I honestly had to rack my brain for memories of characters consuming alcohol in this series, because I don't recall that many examples of it. Probably something to do with many of the protagonists being only 16 or 17 years old at the start of their respective shows. Aside from Ray Lovelock being shown with the occasional indistinct can, they seem to favor their beers on tap? When Kate and Myung go drinking in Macross Plus, they're served their beers in pint mugs rather than bottles or cans. The same is true in Macross 7 when Mylene pretends to be Max's mistress to troll him. He orders a non-alcoholic beer and it's served to him in a tulip glass. I am not a beer drinker myself, so I referred the question to a friend who is an experienced brewer and he suggested that whatever it is is probably an aromatic beer like a double IPA, Belgian ale, or barley wine based on the particular choice of glass and the assumption that the bartender at that fancy bar knows his business.

I'd presume that whatever it is is probably brewed locally in any given emigrant fleet's environment ships. If Macross Frontier-era materials are any guide, beer is probably a foodstuff subject to the divide between cheap and easily produced synthetic foods and more expensive and resource intensive natural foods. It's kind of frightening to think of someone selling beer made from industrial alcohol and artificial flavors, since real beer would be rather resource-intensive to make for a fleet with very limited agricultural space.

Considering that the Zentradi had alcohol rations even before being exposed to Earth's culture, and the number of them developed substance abuse problems after defecting and living among humans for years, I'd assume it's probably safe to say that there are Zentradi in the liquor industry the same as there are in every other industry.

As to your last part, I have absolutely no idea. If such a thing exists, it would probably be a menu item at FirebomBAR, which I have never been to.

If they ever do a Macross signature beer - if they haven't already - I hope its quality is better than the desperately tragic wine collection that Star Trek rolled out for Star Trek Picard.

I think there was one with Moruk and Quamzin drink wine after they kidnapped what's-her-nugget in TOS.  I was unaware of the alcohol ration for the Zentradi; that would seem counter-productive, given the troubles the misuse of alcohol causes in the military in real life.  I figured Moruk or Quamzin just pillaged a winery and took entire barrels.  The issued stuff would have to be an interesting brew.

• 4 weeks later...

A couple quick questions:

1) I just started snapping together a Bandai 1/72 VF-25S for the first time and was caught off-guard by the fact the head transforms. Basically the lower half of the head slides up into the "helmet" to get more compact. Is this accurate to "canon"? I'm leaning toward it just being a feature for the sake of the model kit, and isn't present anywhere else, either in-show or the toys or other merch or artwork, etc.

2) Have there been any 4K transfers of anything Macross? And which ones include English subs? I'm looking at an auction for a special edition Bluray "Hybrid Pack" of Sayonara no Tsubasa and am wondering if I should bite on it or not, or if there are better options out there currently. (I know there's the English Bluray box sets announced, but that's all they've been is announced.)

18 minutes ago, kajnrig said:

A couple quick questions:

1) I just started snapping together a Bandai 1/72 VF-25S for the first time and was caught off-guard by the fact the head transforms. Basically the lower half of the head slides up into the "helmet" to get more compact. Is this accurate to "canon"? I'm leaning toward it just being a feature for the sake of the model kit, and isn't present anywhere else, either in-show or the toys or other merch or artwork, etc.

I'm relatively certain that's just a convenience for the kit.

18 minutes ago, kajnrig said:

2) Have there been any 4K transfers of anything Macross? And which ones include English subs? I'm looking at an auction for a special edition Bluray "Hybrid Pack" of Sayonara no Tsubasa and am wondering if I should bite on it or not, or if there are better options out there currently. (I know there's the English Bluray box sets announced, but that's all they've been is announced.)

Not that I'm aware?  I think it's all standard HD (1080p) so far.

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, George Yamamori said:

Can the head lasers aim forward in the fighter modes of the VF-5000/11/19/22/25/31.

No, it can't aim forward on those models.

It's specifically a rear facing weapon meant to cover the fighter's blind spot. Many of them, especially the later models like the 19, 22, 25, and 31 have a fixed forward-facing gun or pair of guns that do the same job.

• 2 weeks later...

Just rewatched through Macross Plus Movie Ed, the Frontier movies, and the Delta movies again, and saw this in "Sayonara no Tsubasa" 20230903_222628.jpg.f45ab2f943f9efcd2a3b77b17b414550.jpg

And immidiately thought

tumblr_ph0xei9UbL1tm9dvyo1_540.gif.2c2689629d55e1fcebdf1468c51b802f.gif

Imagining a " Sally Simpson" scenario.

Edited by Keith
Drunk spelling...

• 4 weeks later...
30 minutes ago, DownIsUp said:

Are there listed maximum engagement ranges for the Monster and Defender?

Only for the HWR-00 Monster, as it's the only one of the original Destroids that's truly configured for long-ranged engagements (excl. the non-canonical LDR-04 Maverick from the FamilySoft Macross games).

The Monster's 40cm cannons are able to bombard targets up to 160km away in indirect fire under gravity.  Its ground-to-ground missile launchers have a 300km+ range.

30 minutes ago, DownIsUp said:

I know for Valks generally aim for BVR with the use of ghosts and the like, but I can't remember seeing any stats for the Destroids.

For the most part, Valkyries are also set up for visual-ranged combat or very close to it because the Zentradi come in numbers far too great to rely mainly on beyond-visual-range engagement and a combination of passive and active stealth measures has reduced the effectiveness of long-ranged missiles.

14 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

The Monster's 40cm cannons are able to bombard targets up to 160km away in indirect fire under gravity.  Its ground-to-ground missile launchers have a 300km+ range.

This is maybe the best thing I've ever read in my life, thanks for that. I guess it makes sense how they stuck around long enough to see upgrades and use by Anti-UN forces all the way in 2030.

1 hour ago, DownIsUp said:

This is maybe the best thing I've ever read in my life, thanks for that. I guess it makes sense how they stuck around long enough to see upgrades and use by Anti-UN forces all the way in 2030.

They were basically useless on the ground, since the Zentradi didn't do ground warfare, but they found some utility as a long-ranged anti-capital ship turret able to deliver low yield thermonuclear reaction warheads.

14 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

They were basically useless on the ground, since the Zentradi didn't do ground warfare, but they found some utility as a long-ranged anti-capital ship turret able to deliver low yield thermonuclear reaction warheads.

I'm guessing they win out over missiles because the lack of a rocket engine makes them harder to detect and counter while in-flight. Hence the continued service of the Metal Gear Monster.

Edited by JB0

So I remembered how when the Protoculture was first making what become the Protodevlin, they were in the form of the Evil-Series of Zentradi. I think what we know of the prototypes is that before the ones we see in 7 proper got the ability to harness extra-dimension energy in their bodies, they either burn themselves out or self-destructed. Do we have any elaboration on them in general? Such as how different/similar they looked from the show's Protodevlin, if the ones who survived became the actual Protodevlin or sealed up somewhere different from the ice planet, and so on. It became a topic of interest for a bit because there was a theory that was around when Delta was being aired that Mikumo was a "Evil-series Zentradi" that was discovered before her actual backstory was revealed.

1 hour ago, TG Remix said:

So I remembered how when the Protoculture was first making what become the Protodevlin, they were in the form of the Evil-Series of Zentradi. I think what we know of the prototypes is that before the ones we see in 7 proper got the ability to harness extra-dimension energy in their bodies, they either burn themselves out or self-destructed. Do we have any elaboration on them in general? Such as how different/similar they looked from the show's Protodevlin, if the ones who survived became the actual Protodevlin or sealed up somewhere different from the ice planet, and so on.

So... that's not quite accurate.

Development of the Evil-series started in 2865 PC (c. 497,135 BCE), but because they were unable to resolve the problem of the incredible energy demands that the biotechnology used in the designs called for they were never able to complete them.  Three years later, the Protoculture developed the first prototype super dimension energy converter and they began considering the technology's potential to address the excessive energy requirements of the Evil series.  Three years after that, in 2871 PC, the Protoculture completed their first seven Evil-series prototypes (one of each type/class) using the new biotechnological super dimension energy converters and the first practical tests resulted in disaster with the seven prototypes being possessed by energy beings from super dimension space that ultimately became known as the Protodeviln.

The seven Protodeviln seen in Macross 7 are the seven original Evil-series prototypes and, as far as we know, there were no others constructed.*

It became a topic of interest for a bit because there was a theory that was around when Delta was being aired that Mikumo was a "Evil-series Zentradi" that was discovered before her actual backstory was revealed.

I have no idea why this fan theory comes back SO MUCH.

This happened with Frontier too.  For some reason, there's this part of the fandom that assumes that any remotely unconventional-looking character who isn't explicitly identified as a Zentradi or whatever is a Protodeviln.  When Frontier was airing, people were assuming that Macross Quarter bridge operator Mina Roshan was a Protodeviln because her design had dark skin, dark eyes, and a red mark on her forehead.  The actual explanation... she's just Indian.  But they were CONVINCED she was a Protodeviln.  

It's like fans can't remember that there were only ever seven Evil-series, that four of them died in Macross 7, and the other three ****ed off to parts unknown at the end of the series.

* Not by the Protoculture, anyway.  The non-canon manga Macross Dynamite 7: Mylene Beat has a faction within the Macross 7 fleet's New UN Forces attempt to clone an Evil-series with an eye towards mass producing an Evil-series weapon for Humanity's defense.  The prototype predictably goes out of control and becomes a battleship-sized space dragon, but thanks to Mylene's intervention its rampage proves to be short-lived and after gaining the ability to generate its own spiritia is promptly disappears into the deepest reaches of space the same way the Protodeviln did.  The Fold Evil in Macross 30: Voices Across the Galaxy and the Birdhuman in Macross Zero are some kind of related development, but with a perfected version of the super dimension energy converter technology that doesn't result in a living weapon possessed by a starving energy vampire.

14 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

So... that's not quite accurate.

Development of the Evil-series started in 2865 PC (c. 497,135 BCE), but because they were unable to resolve the problem of the incredible energy demands that the biotechnology used in the designs called for they were never able to complete them.  Three years later, the Protoculture developed the first prototype super dimension energy converter and they began considering the technology's potential to address the excessive energy requirements of the Evil series.  Three years after that, in 2871 PC, the Protoculture completed their first seven Evil-series prototypes (one of each type/class) using the new biotechnological super dimension energy converters and the first practical tests resulted in disaster with the seven prototypes being possessed by energy beings from super dimension space that ultimately became known as the Protodeviln.

The seven Protodeviln seen in Macross 7 are the seven original Evil-series prototypes and, as far as we know, there were no others constructed.*

I have no idea why this fan theory comes back SO MUCH.

This happened with Frontier too.  For some reason, there's this part of the fandom that assumes that any remotely unconventional-looking character who isn't explicitly identified as a Zentradi or whatever is a Protodeviln.  When Frontier was airing, people were assuming that Macross Quarter bridge operator Mina Roshan was a Protodeviln because her design had dark skin, dark eyes, and a red mark on her forehead.  The actual explanation... she's just Indian.  But they were CONVINCED she was a Protodeviln.  

It's like fans can't remember that there were only ever seven Evil-series, that four of them died in Macross 7, and the other three ****ed off to parts unknown at the end of the series.

* Not by the Protoculture, anyway.  The non-canon manga Macross Dynamite 7: Mylene Beat has a faction within the Macross 7 fleet's New UN Forces attempt to clone an Evil-series with an eye towards mass producing an Evil-series weapon for Humanity's defense.  The prototype predictably goes out of control and becomes a battleship-sized space dragon, but thanks to Mylene's intervention its rampage proves to be short-lived and after gaining the ability to generate its own spiritia is promptly disappears into the deepest reaches of space the same way the Protodeviln did.  The Fold Evil in Macross 30: Voices Across the Galaxy and the Birdhuman in Macross Zero are some kind of related development, but with a perfected version of the super dimension energy converter technology that doesn't result in a living weapon possessed by a starving energy vampire.

Rumor has it that:

Spoiler

Kawamori-san is a Protodeviln and created Macross so he could harvest the Spiritua of all the fans enjoying the idols singing and the intense mecha combat. :p

*Yes, I need to get out more often*

5 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

That's just what a protodeviln trying to avoid detetction on a message board would say!

41 minutes ago, Robin-11 said:

Quick question, does anybody know which aircraft number Isamu is piloting in the beginning sequence of Macross Plus? I am refering to the VF-11 he is using in the dogfight against the rogue zentran squad, right before he arrives on the New Edward training base.

On 9/28/2023 at 1:16 PM, Seto Kaiba said:

Honestly it's really just her eyes that remind me more like bug eyes (Q-Bee anyone?) then any other race/species we've seen prior that made me think otherwise, and less so anything that'd indicate her Indian heritage.

On 9/28/2023 at 1:32 PM, pengbuzz said:

Reading the manga itself, it also tries to give context to....that scene from 7 Dynamite, with Mylene and the woman who's unironically named Sazabi. It contradicts what we saw in the animation by a ton, but at this point I expect it from this franchise, lol.

Also because I'm forever obsessed and hyper-fixated, I noticed a lot of Zentradi-favored variable vehicles built by the UN are usually attackers (VA-14, the VBP-1/VA-110 Variable Glaug lineage, the VAB-2 D type was apparently specifically for Zentradi, etc.) One makes me think if not only the UN codes Zentradi pilots for attacker craft duties, and/or if there's any variable fighters Zentradi gravitates towards to. IIRC the Macross Chronicle (from Sketchley's translations) said the regular VF-14 was favored by them. 

1 hour ago, Heron said:

Is there an in-depth source for the various inspiration sources that fed into Macross Delta?

There is some commentary here and there in publications like Great Mechanics G and the series artbooks.

I'd assume a definitive discussion probably exists in the liner notes and extra features for the Macross Delta TV series and movies.

Reading the manga itself, it also tries to give context to....that scene from 7 Dynamite, with Mylene and the woman who's unironically named Sazabi. It contradicts what we saw in the animation by a ton, but at this point I expect it from this franchise, lol.

Yeah... it's trying, though admittedly I'm not sure that part of the story really needed elaboration.  It was unpleasant enough as it is.

Also because I'm forever obsessed and hyper-fixated, I noticed a lot of Zentradi-favored variable vehicles built by the UN are usually attackers (VA-14, the VBP-1/VA-110 Variable Glaug lineage, the VAB-2 D type was apparently specifically for Zentradi, etc.) One makes me think if not only the UN codes Zentradi pilots for attacker craft duties, and/or if there's any variable fighters Zentradi gravitates towards to. IIRC the Macross Chronicle (from Sketchley's translations) said the regular VF-14 was favored by them. 

To be honest, I wonder to what extent they're actually favored by the Zentradi since a fair number of them are simply inferring they're favored by the Zentradi based on their only known users being the Macross 5 fleet.  The VBP-1/VA-110 Variable Glaug is the only one that's really designed for Zentradi operation, because it was developed and built for a rebel Zentradi group and then independently reproduced by the New UN Government after capture.  It's possible the VA designation is simply what they felt was the closest fit based on its gun-heavy armament, or it may have been intended to deceive since the designation's a clear nod to Project Constant Peg (which also used 110 numbers for flight tests of captured Soviet aircraft).

I wonder how much of it is that the Zentradi actually favor these designs, how much of it is them simply gravitating towards designs optimized for deep space operations where they'd feel most at home, and how much is simply "solidarity" buying from a Zentradi-run company like General Galaxy.

On 10/8/2023 at 9:34 PM, Seto Kaiba said:

To be honest, I wonder to what extent they're actually favored by the Zentradi since a fair number of them are simply inferring they're favored by the Zentradi based on their only known users being the Macross 5 fleet. 

That's a fair suspicion, I just assumed there'd be more customers since the descriptions for the VA-14 and Neo Nupetiet-Vergnitzs bis would imply there'd be more usage then that fleet alone. Part of me is a tad disappointed that the Macross 5 fleet was used more or less as a plot device for the FBZ-99G, Az-130A, and Gelpinitch's plan without bringing more details about them or the mechs and ships they use unlike the vast amount of details we can gather about the Macross Galaxy and how influential they are in the world of Macross.

(As a side note I hope my hyperfixation on anything regarding Zentradi isn't too unbearable, they're easily my favorite things that came from the franchise, characters, mecha, ships, you name it. As much as I love both it seems every series and side stories after SDF kinda seems to undermine them in the many opportunities they appear afterwards, and that's honestly my biggest criticism of the franchise overall.)

The VBP-1/VA-110 Variable Glaug is the only one that's really designed for Zentradi operation, because it was developed and built for a rebel Zentradi group and then independently reproduced by the New UN Government after capture.

Does make me wonder how widespread adoption of it was in the UN proper. Enough for the Neo Glaug to exist of course, but it seems more niche compared to the likes of the VA-3. and how that got a marine variation and can be seen as far up until 2051. (Additionally from what I got from @sketchley translations it's energy system is delicate and not easy to handle either for both, so that may be a point against it...)  Although speaking on that, it's funny to me that the in-game stats of the UNS reproduction in M3 has no missile capacity, but not only it has missiles when you fight against them (Moaramia and her sisters iirc) and when you play/fight the Neo Glaug in Macross Plus: Game Edition, but the Neo Glaug bis in The Ride states it has the same Bifors BML-02S micro-missile launchers as the VF-22 has! The only place I can see those being stored is where the original Glaug shot missiles from, and even there that's stretching it. The more I look into the lineage the more frustrated I get with the lack of definitive details it has, especially compared to most other designs Kawamori has drawn.

I wonder how much of it is that the Zentradi actually favor these designs, how much of it is them simply gravitating towards designs optimized for deep space operations where they'd feel most at home, and how much is simply "solidarity" buying from a Zentradi-run company like General Galaxy.

The VA-14 was a joint project between General Galaxy and Mikoyan, so I'll give you that, though from the Compendium website it describes it as having higher combat maneuverability within the atmosphere, if it means anything here. Though the VAB-2 was a joint project between the Northrom & Grumman and Mikoyan, though I'm not sure they'd make the D type specifically for the Macross 5.

Edited by TG Remix
Additional sentence for clarification.

On 10/9/2023 at 10:16 AM, TG Remix said:

That's a fair suspicion, I just assumed there'd be more customers since the descriptions for the VA-14 and Neo Nupetiet-Vergnitzs bis would imply there'd be more usage then that fleet alone. Part of me is a tad disappointed that the Macross 5 fleet was used more or less as a plot device for the FBZ-99G, Az-130A, and Gelpinitch's plan without bringing more details about them or the mechs and ships they use unlike the vast amount of details we can gather about the Macross Galaxy and how influential they are in the world of Macross.

Oh, I'm sure there are more customers than just the Macross 5 fleet.

It's just not particularly likely that those other emigrant governments, central NUNS fleets, and possibly private military companies had a large enough Zentradi population among their numbers for the preferences of the Zentradi to be relevant in selecting their equipment is another matter entirely...

We've never even seen a VA-14, for that matter.  Only the original "Spiritia Dreaming" VF-14 and the Macross M3 version... with many fans mistaking the former for a VA-14.  An issue not helped by the Spiritia Dreaming VF-14 being an enhanced armament type.

Does make me wonder how widespread adoption of it was in the UN proper. Enough for the Neo Glaug to exist of course, but it seems more niche compared to the likes of the VA-3. and how that got a marine variation and can be seen as far up until 2051. (Additionally from what I got from @sketchley translations it's energy system is delicate and not easy to handle either for both, so that may be a point against it...)  Although speaking on that, it's funny to me that the in-game stats of the UNS reproduction in M3 has no missile capacity, but not only it has missiles when you fight against them (Moaramia and her sisters iirc) and when you play/fight the Neo Glaug in Macross Plus: Game Edition, but the Neo Glaug bis in The Ride states it has the same Bifors BML-02S micro-missile launchers as the VF-22 has! The only place I can see those being stored is where the original Glaug shot missiles from, and even there that's stretching it. The more I look into the lineage the more frustrated I get with the lack of definitive details it has, especially compared to most other designs Kawamori has drawn.

Probably not very... it's a highly specialized design, and each version of it is basically a one-appearance wonder.

The original Variable Glaug and its (New) UN Forces miclone-suitable version only appear in Macross M3, the unmanned Neo Glaug only shows up in Macross Plus: Game Edition, and the manned Neo Glaug bis has a whopping two appearances: Macross the Ride and the novelization of the Macross Frontier TV series.  Basically the one confirmed operator outside of the Special Forces are the Zentradi Marines, who are also a smaller group.

The VA-14 was a joint project between General Galaxy and Mikoyan, so I'll give you that, though from the Compendium website it describes it as having higher combat maneuverability within the atmosphere, if it means anything here. Though the VAB-2 was a joint project between the Northrom & Grumman and Mikoyan, though I'm not sure they'd make the D type specifically for the Macross 5.

It's possible the D-type is a locally-developed variant.  We know those are a thing as early as the 2040s.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys.

I'm not exactly a newbie, but I have a very straight up newbie question that I hope someone can help me with.

I never got any of Macross on bluray and I'd like to before the format is obsolete.

I read that a company is supposedly putting out Macross Plus (OVA and movie edition) on a US bluray early next year.  That's awesome.  I want it.  I just hope it has Japanese audio and English subtitles, but with Harmony Gold, I understand you never can be sure what is "allowed."

Is there a bluray box that has the entire original Macross TV series in uncut Japanese with English subtitles?

How about Do You Remember Love? and Flashback 2012?  Has 2012 ever been released in HD?

Thank you for answering my noob questions....I appreciate it.

1 hour ago, onnasake said:

Is there a bluray box that has the entire original Macross TV series in uncut Japanese with English subtitles?

I don't think so.

Harmony Gold USA hasn't partnered with anyone to release a Blu-ray of Super Dimension Fortress Macross in its original form, AFAIK.  Just the Robotech version.  The Japanese domestic market's got it in Blu-ray, but that didn't have English subs IIRC.

Last I heard, the only options for the original Super Dimension Fortress Macross were the Animeigo and ADV Films releases on DVD.

1 hour ago, onnasake said:

How about Do You Remember Love? and Flashback 2012?  Has 2012 ever been released in HD?

In the Japanese domestic market, but same as the above... no English sub.  

Only one or two of the Frontier movie box sets had English subs, and then all the Macross Delta stuff.

Why did the Zentraedi use Boquomouxy Quel-Quallie Theatre Scout Pod only as a scout vehicle? It seems well armed, big and can carry a handful of Zentreadi soldiers. Couldn't they have used it as a offensive attack vehicle?

Skjermbilde 2023-10-28 144025.png

Edited by Invid99

5 hours ago, Invid99 said:

Why did the Zentraedi use Boquomouxy Quel-Quallie Theatre Scout Pod only as a scout vehicle? It seems well armed, big and can carry a handful of Zentreadi soldiers. Couldn't they have used it as a offensive attack vehicle?

Skjermbilde 2023-10-28 144025.png

Two reasons:

1. Design.  The Quel Quallie was designed to be a reconnaissance/electronic warfare/signals intelligence platform and equipped appropriately.  Its armor is heavy to protect the specialist crew and sensitive electronics, but its armament is light for its size and mainly defensive.  Most Zentradi equipment is engineered with a specific purpose or role in mind, so presumably the role of a larger attacker would be given to something like the heavy attack craft seen in DYRL?
  2. Cost.  Presumably due to its multitude of high-precision, high-sensitivity sensor systems and the high degree of automation necessary to support them, the Quel Quallie is said to be expensive enough that each (branch) fleet only has around a dozen of them.

3 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Two reasons:

1. Design.  The Quel Quallie was designed to be a reconnaissance/electronic warfare/signals intelligence platform and equipped appropriately.  Its armor is heavy to protect the specialist crew and sensitive electronics, but its armament is light for its size and mainly defensive.  Most Zentradi equipment is engineered with a specific purpose or role in mind, so presumably the role of a larger attacker would be given to something like the heavy attack craft seen in DYRL?

You mean this craft right? Was that supposed to be the movie version of the Quel Quallie as a offensive attack wehicle?

dyrl-golggantscharts.jpg

23 minutes ago, Invid99 said:

You mean this craft right? Was that supposed to be the movie version of the Quel Quallie as a offensive attack wehicle?

dyrl-golggantscharts.jpg

It's a completely separate craft from the Quel Quallie theater scout, but yeah that's what I was referring to as a purpose-built attack unit.

It's called just "Heavy Attack Craft".  It's actually a bit smaller than the Quel Quallie and has a two-man crew instead of three, but it also punches WAY above its weight class since its primary armament is a guided focusing beam cannon.  In short, this is an aircraft built around the kind of long-range particle beam cannon that would ordinarily be mounted on the gun turrets of a Zentradi capital ship.  Yes, this is a naval cannon with wings and an AA gun for self-defense.