5 hours ago, TG Remix said:

Just throwing this question out there, though it's more of a "fanfic-y" type one. Considering the Queadluun-Rhea is a updated Rau with even more high performance and pilot survivability, could the Queadluun-Nona theoretically be given Rhea-like updates without repeating the same production and maintenance snarls?

Given how little information there is about the Queadluun-Nona, it's difficult to say.

Macross Chronicle mentions that it's a mass production version of the Queadluun-Rau that shares, approximately, the armaments of the Queadluun-Rau... but nothing more.

If we assume that the Queadluun-Nona lacks the Inertia Vector Control System that makes the Queadluun-Rau, Queadluun-Rhea, and VF-22 Sturmvogel II difficult to mass produce, it would not have that main roadblock to production at any scale.  Of course, its performance would be significantly lower because it would lack the IVCS's ability to protect the cockpit from high g-forces and the propulsion efficiency improvements that system conferred.  That extreme maneuverability is the cornerstone of the Queadluun series combat performance, so it would be a much less effective unit even if upgraded... something analogous to the Regult Type-106 seen in Macross Delta.

2 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Of course, its performance would be significantly lower because it would lack the IVCS's ability to protect the cockpit from high g-forces and the propulsion efficiency improvements that system conferred.  That extreme maneuverability is the cornerstone of the Queadluun series combat performance, so it would be a much less effective unit even if upgraded... something analogous to the Regult Type-106 seen in Macross Delta.

Kinda like picking your poison; want to have a lot Queadluun Rheas? You either can but not nearly as fast and safe or the same armaments but in a (slightly less) cramped cockpit of a Regult, lol

Was mainly curious since the frame of a Rhea was used to make the Alma, which to this day I still wonder if I even should even call this a "transformation:"

macross_the_ride_visual_book_vol.2_040.jpg

macross_the_ride_visual_book_vol.2_042.jpg

On a side comment, it actually looks somewhat normal when not flying, but it feels weird seeing a Queadluun unit wielding a gunpod. Wonder if there's any technical info on it, or if it even appeared in previous material. It is confusing how despite being very Rhea-like it's described both as if it came from the Stellar-Republic era and was something Rogue Zentradi thought of.

54 minutes ago, JB0 said:

It suddenly occurs to me that the Q-Rau having some form of inertia management makes it somewhat more impressive that Max managed to match Millia in a VF-1 that doesn't.

Geniuses are just built different, what can I say. 😆 

59 minutes ago, JB0 said:

It suddenly occurs to me that the Q-Rau having some form of inertia management makes it somewhat more impressive that Max managed to match Millia in a VF-1 that doesn't.

It's not a very good inertia control system, but yeah.

Mind you, even without that almost every detail conspires to reveal what a balance-breaking character Max is.  Milia was one of the Boddole Zer main fleet's top aces.  Think about what it takes to be a top ace in a fleet with Seven. Billion. Soldiers.  She is, by Zentradi standards, an unbeatable badass.  Max is just this unassuming-looking dude who shows up to join SVF-1's Vermilion platoon in October of '09.  He's got a skill ranking of A but less than 400 hours in the cockpit, the overwhelming majority of which is simulator time.  Even his new commander, Hikaru, dismisses him as a "total rookie".  And from that inauspicious start, Max proves to be an unstoppable force.  Quamzin was probably just BS-ing at the time he told Milia that the miclones had an ace too... but when she finally bumps into him, he wrecks her sh*t so badly she not only doesn't question it she goes undercover as a miclone spy to assassinate him.  Milia, a top ace clone soldier literally bred for war and piloting expertise who had years of experience and the very best equipment available, gets REKT by a rando from Planet Nowhere who's been a fighter pilot for all of like two months in what the Zentradi would consider a laughably primitive clunker.

1 minute ago, TG Remix said:

On a side comment, it actually looks somewhat normal when not flying, but it feels weird seeing a Queadluun unit wielding a gunpod. Wonder if there's any technical info on it, or if it even appeared in previous material. It is confusing how despite being very Rhea-like it's described both as if it came from the Stellar-Republic era and was something Rogue Zentradi thought of.

The Queadluun-Alma?  There is a bit, yes.

It has never appeared in previous material though, it's a unique craft that Fasces fields in the finale of the story.

13 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Quamzin was probably just BS-ing at the time he told Milia that the miclones had an ace too... but when she finally bumps into him, he wrecks her sh*t so badly she not only doesn't question it she goes undercover as a miclone spy to assassinate him. 

Thought he was talking about Hikaru that time considering the encounters he had with him before iirc. Either way Milia had one heck of a surprise and gave us one heck of a memorable battle.

14 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

The Queadluun-Alma?  There is a bit, yes.

It has never appeared in previous material though, it's a unique craft that Fasces fields in the finale of the story.

I was referring to the gunpod/rail rifle, but nice confirmation that it's a Fasces exclusive Valkyrie...Battlesuit, thing. Though considering that it's part Feios Valkyrie I do wonder two things about it; if one could theoretically be another Variable Glaug situation where it could be captured and repurposed for UN use, and if its designated number "Fz-150" if official or not. I see it being used quite a bit, but I haven't seen it in citated material.

Speaking of them, iirc they also used Varauta Army Valkyries as well due to them having the Protodevlin Factory Satellite. I can assume even if until at that moment Elgerzorene's, Panzerzorene's, and Saubergeran's would be a non issue in the grand scheme of the universe, I would assume they'd be illegal as all hell due to their Spiritia absorption beams.  

6 minutes ago, TG Remix said:

Speaking of them, iirc they also used Varauta Army Valkyries as well due to them having the Protodevlin Factory Satellite. I can assume even if until at that moment Elgerzorene's, Panzerzorene's, and Saubergeran's would be a non issue in the grand scheme of the universe, I would assume they'd be illegal as all hell due to their Spiritia absorption beams.  

On the one hand, it wouldn't be that hard to remove (or 'merely' permanently disable) that equipment.  On the other hand, the absorption beams appear to have a limited capacity for storing Spiritia.  So, inherently the system is limited.  I'm quite sure that owners of those Valkyries who suddenly start purchasing a bunch of equipment that can be turned into Spiritia storage devices would raise all manner of red flags.

22 minutes ago, TG Remix said:

I was referring to the gunpod/rail rifle,

Oh, not as such no.  It seems to use similar technology to the Paladin Prophecy's lance and the VF-25G's SSL-9B Dragunov sniper rifle, and by extension the VF-31's railguns.

(As in, not a true railgun but a rail-assisted chemical propellant firearm.)

but nice confirmation that it's a Fasces exclusive Valkyrie...Battlesuit, thing. Though considering that it's part Feios Valkyrie I do wonder two things about it; if one could theoretically be another Variable Glaug situation where it could be captured and repurposed for UN use,

Assuming someone cared enough to do so, I'd expect it would not be impossible for the New UN Government and New UN Forces to seize either the design schematics or capture a few Feios units intact enough to reconstruct and reproduce one.

Why they haven't... well... the Feios Valkyrie's incredible mobility performance that exceeds even the New UN Forces VF-19 and VF-22 is a worse version of the same double-edged sword that doomed the VF-19 and VF-22.  It's amazingly high-spec... but as a result, it's a ridiculous airborne deathtrap to all but a tiny handful of supremely skilled pilots.  It was a 4th Generation-equivalent Valkyrie and lacked any way to protect the pilot from the incredible g-forces its maneuverability could produce.

The Queadluun-Alma is a somewhat different story.  It's possible that the New UN Forces could reconstruct the basic design if they were to find where it was manufactured, or if the Fasces flagship Babel had been boarded and captured instead of being sunk by SMS.  That said, the only Queadluun-Alma we "see" in the story is effectively a one-of-a-kind aircraft whose incredible combat ability is a product of an impossible-to-reproduce system.  Its Astral System allows it to produce an incredibly resilient defensive barrier hypothesized to be strong enough to repel a Macross Cannon, but is only able to do so because it's made out of Protodeviln remains.

and if its designated number "Fz-150" if official or not. I see it being used quite a bit, but I haven't seen it in citated material.

As I'd never seen that designation before now, I'm guessing it's probably not official.

@sketchley would probably know better than me on that topic.

The lowercase "z" designations are used only by the Varauta Forces derivatives of captured New UN Forces Valkyries: the FBz-99, Fz-109, Az-110, etc.  The Feios Valkyrie was not a Varauta/Protodeviln design.  It was something cooked up by the engineers who've defected to various Zentradi rebel/terrorist/anti-government groups and seemingly built on the sly by amoral or opportunistic defense contractors.  Its design was a combination of Zentradi overtechnology with a captured/stolen VF-11 prototype.  

Yeah, probably.... that and quite a bit of other Protodeviln technology that Fasces was using that really doesn't have a benign application.  Like the mind control technology they're using on the prisoners they take while masquerading as space pirates in order to build up an army for a war against the New UN Government.  

Without the spiritia absorption beam, Fasces's Elgersoln Gustavs would just be a middling 3.5th Generation VF with an abnormal number of spikes.

1 hour ago, Seto Kaiba said:

@sketchley would probably know better than me on that topic.

It's the first I've ever heard of that.

A search results in:

Checking the Japanese Wikipedia, there are NO mention of a Fz-150 at all!

As near as I can tell, it's a fanfic designation created by the artist on Pixiv named shi**ypaintdraw.  Initially I was going to say that they are recolouring of an image from Mr March's sites, but the artist has completed lines that are incomplete on March's version (e.g. the calf lines on the interior of the lower leg).

Edited by sketchley

47 minutes ago, sketchley said:

It's the first I've ever heard of that.

OK, so we've both never heard of it and it's almost certainly a fanfic designation.

That makes sense, given that it's not a Varauta design and that designation convention is unique to the Varauta forces.

12 hours ago, sketchley said:

As near as I can tell, it's a fanfic designation created by the artist on Pixiv named shi**ypaintdraw.  Initially I was going to say that they are recolouring of an image from Mr March's sites, but the artist has completed lines that are incomplete on March's version (e.g. the calf lines on the interior of the lower leg).

I had a feeling it was fanmade. Though on that topic, even though I heard that the VA-14's name "Hunter" was fanmade, it did appear in the Japanese Wikipedia and other Japanese sites. So now I'm wondering where did that name come from?

14 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Why they haven't... well... the Feios Valkyrie's incredible mobility performance that exceeds even the New UN Forces VF-19 and VF-22 is a worse version of the same double-edged sword that doomed the VF-19 and VF-22.  It's amazingly high-spec... but as a result, it's a ridiculous airborne deathtrap to all but a tiny handful of supremely skilled pilots.  It was a 4th Generation-equivalent Valkyrie and lacked any way to protect the pilot from the incredible g-forces its maneuverability could produce.

13 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

That said, the only Queadluun-Alma we "see" in the story is effectively a one-of-a-kind aircraft whose incredible combat ability is a product of an impossible-to-reproduce system.  Its Astral System allows it to produce an incredibly resilient defensive barrier hypothesized to be strong enough to repel a Macross Cannon, but is only able to do so because it's made out of Protodeviln remains.

Okay wow, Kamujin really meant it when he said the worst thing that happened to humanity was giving Zentradi the ability to build. And all that from a VF-11 stolen a decade and a half ago. But yeah it's unlikely they'd go for it in that case considering the VF-22 is kinda Zentradi enough for a stupidly high performing Valkyrie. I'm assuming Timoshee got one due to the Critical Path Foundation basically being Macross' Anaheim?

13 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

The Queadluun-Alma is a somewhat different story.  It's possible that the New UN Forces could reconstruct the basic design if they were to find where it was manufactured, or if the Fasces flagship Babel had been boarded and captured instead of being sunk by SMS. 

Considering how the factory where the Stealth Regult and Stealth Glaugs were blown up in VF-X, I'm starting to think the Variable Glaug ending up in UN hands was a once in a lifetime deal. Though considering the Feios made it into Black Rainbow a few years after it's possible their plans also survived for potential rogue Zentradi to use again.

3 hours ago, TG Remix said:

I had a feeling it was fanmade. Though on that topic, even though I heard that the VA-14's name "Hunter" was fanmade, it did appear in the Japanese Wikipedia and other Japanese sites. So now I'm wondering where did that name come from?

I don't recall ever seeing a name for that one either, officially.

Sometimes fanfic names become so widespread that they get mistaken for official information.  There are also the occasional folks - I could name names, but won't - who make no effort to distinguish between fan fiction material of their own creation and official material to the point of vandalizing Wikipedia articles with material of their own creation.

Okay wow, Kamujin really meant it when he said the worst thing that happened to humanity was giving Zentradi the ability to build. And all that from a VF-11 stolen a decade and a half ago. But yeah it's unlikely they'd go for it in that case considering the VF-22 is kinda Zentradi enough for a stupidly high performing Valkyrie. I'm assuming Timoshee got one due to the Critical Path Foundation basically being Macross' Anaheim?

Daldhanton's organization, Black Rainbow, seems to have ended up in possession of a number of unusual mobile weapons due to amoral defense contractors selling to all takers.

The man himself ended up with a Feios Valkyrie because he's a legendary top ace in his own right, hailed as the "All Kill Wizard" during his tenure in the New UN Forces.  He's one of the few people who could actually use the Feios to its full potential.

Considering how the factory where the Stealth Regult and Stealth Glaugs were blown up in VF-X, I'm starting to think the Variable Glaug ending up in UN hands was a once in a lifetime deal. Though considering the Feios made it into Black Rainbow a few years after it's possible their plans also survived for potential rogue Zentradi to use again.

Probably not.  I'd assume the New UN Forces have ended up in possession of a number of captured enemy designs over the years and simply don't bother recreating them because they don't have anything to offer that can't be done as well or better by the NUNS's own fighters.

8 hours ago, TG Remix said:

I don't recall an official name for that, as well.

Elaborating on what SetoKaiba said—there may be something akin to what's happening with Russian made fighters going on.  For example, with the Su-27, the official name is "Sukhoi Su-27", however users are adopting the NATO reporting name "Flanker" as a kind of nickname for it (in no way official).

11 hours ago, RaisingCane said:

Are those supposed to be ARMD-variants attached to the sides of the Megaroad?

IMO they may serve the same purpose, as in hangar, maintenance and launch bays, etc. But I don't think we Know if they are detachable. And can perform independently. 

12 hours ago, RaisingCane said:

Are those supposed to be ARMD-variants attached to the sides of the Megaroad?

They've never been described as such.

It's possible they are a hangar complex made by adapting incomplete ARMD-class spaceframes the same way the Megaroad-class was developed by modifying a Macross-class spaceframe.

15 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

They've never been described as such.

It's possible they are a hangar complex made by adapting incomplete ARMD-class spaceframes the same way the Megaroad-class was developed by modifying a Macross-class spaceframe.

plus the limited visuals seen (including the better visuals from the last Delta movie) don't seem to indicate there was veneer thrusters anywhere on the pseudo-ARMDs of the Megaroad.

One wonders if they had the means to produce the VF-5000, VF- 3000 and the VF-9. I doubt it. They would've needed a retooled factory satellite. If they did have one in tow, they could have done many things, including advanced mods on the VF-4's. 

2 hours ago, RaisingCane said:

Do the early emigration fleets receive any supplies from Earth or are they pretty much stuck with whatever they took with them?  Like, are there Megaroad fleets wandering around out there that still primarily use old but well-maintained VF-4s?

Emigrant ships and fleets are, by the nature of their mission, designed to be as self-sufficient as possible.

The New UN Government and the fleet administration take care to ensure that they leave port equipped with everything they need for sustained operations in deep space that could last years or even decades.  They have onboard facilities and equipment for obtaining, processing, and recycling resources and to manufacture most anything they could require.  As technology has improved, the capabilities and even the nature of those facilities and that equipment have changed.*

Under law, all New UN Government member states receive periodic transmissions providing them with information on the latest technological developments and most, if not all, are linked to the Galaxy Network (FTL space internet).  Upgrading equipment is largely a matter of cost in terms of time and resources.  Some emigrant governments with less resources naturally lag behind others in adopting new technologies as do others that simply don't see the need.  For instance, there are some emigrant governments that operate an all-Ghost air force instead of using Valkyries because the cost-performance is better and there's less risk to human life.

* For instance, the 5th Generation emigrant ships transitioned from a closed-system chemical plant to an artificial and carefully managed ecosystem "bioplant" as a way of processing many types of resources.

2 hours ago, RaisingCane said:

Do the early emigration fleets receive any supplies from Earth or are they pretty much stuck with whatever they took with them?  Like, are there Megaroad fleets wandering around out there that still primarily use old but well-maintained VF-4s?

Circumstances vary.  However, the things that every fleet share are the capability to manufacture new things*, and access to the Galaxy Network—which enables the dissemination of the latest VF designs (and songs, etc.).  In addition to that, the Emigrant Fleets are essentially heading out into unexplored areas of space, so their progression is relatively slow compared to ships, fleets, or whatever that may come later on the same routes.  So, it's possible for vessels to 'catch-up' and provide supplies.**

That said, there's also the 'need' to replace existing VFs (E.g. the M25 Fleet didn't have a need to replace the VF-171 until hostilities began with the Vajra).  So, there's a strong possibility that some of those fleets didn't upgrade from their trusty VF-4s until those VFs reached the end of their design life.  I think by the 2060's, most of those fleets would be using more modern VFs for front-line duties, but would still have plenty of VF-4s kicking around in support roles, etc.

* the pace and quantity varies depending on what they brought with them (E.g. the facilities inside the Megaroad Emigrant ship itself = slow and few) or procured along the way (E.g. a Factory Satellite = fast and lots).

** the Macross Frontier Fleet is described as having taken 20 years to travel to where it is at the start of MF, but only requires 10 years to travel back to Earth—1 year, if someone uses the Super Fold Booster!

16 hours ago, RaisingCane said:

Just to add, emigration fleets travel at sub-light speeds as well to explore, in depth, areas of space that surveying fleets mapped out.  They only fold through space to get away from obstacles. The fleets are designed to collect resources along the way. And as mentioned, they also get stuff shipped to them as well, especially if they can't manufacture it themselves, yet.

16 hours ago, Bolt said:

One wonders if they had the means to produce the VF-5000, VF- 3000 and the VF-9. I doubt it. They would've needed a retooled factory satellite. If they did have one in tow, they could have done many things, including advanced mods on the VF-4's. 

Retooling and upgrading manufacturing facilities, again, would be part of their design or worked in. It just a matter of need and costs (same principals as in real-life).

So i see the chest emblem, (and possibly Mecha emblem?) for the Zentradi in SW1 (and thereafter) who joined the Unified Forces changed. Is it safe to assume that the Zentradi forces who accompanied Megaroad-01 started that emblem change? Or did that change go into effect sometime after the launch of the Megaroad-01 ?

3 hours ago, Bolt said:

I was under the impression South Ataria island was not very inhabited.

It is shown to knock down a skyscraper on the way TO South Ataria, if my memory's not mistaken.

It probably only hypersonic-boomed one major population center, just because what are the odds. 

Edited by JB0

33 minutes ago, JB0 said:

It is shown to knock down a skyscraper on the way TO South Ataria, if my memory's not mistaken.

It probably only hypersonic-boomed one major population center, just because what are the odds. 

Apparently it knocked the top (third?) off of Mount Everest.  In other words, low enough (and fast enough) to cause considerable damage over a wide swath of the globe.

The route from there to the Ogasawara Islands (where South Ataria Island is) has it travelling almost directly over all of Bhutan, a lot of heavily populated provinces in China, and almost directly over Taipei (Taiwan) and Naha (Okinawa).  So, I wouldn't be surprised if tens to hundreds of thousands of people were injured or killed, with several million people affected by the devastation.

Note that that's only from Mount Everest.  Going in the opposite direction, there's New Delhi and even further Kuwait, Israel, and the most populated parts of Egypt!  However, I think anything west of Pakistan is probably pushing it.

Edited by sketchley

5 hours ago, Bolt said:

So i see the chest emblem, (and possibly Mecha emblem?) for the Zentradi in SW1 (and thereafter) who joined the Unified Forces changed. Is it safe to assume that the Zentradi forces who accompanied Megaroad-01 started that emblem change? Or did that change go into effect sometime after the launch of the Megaroad-01 ?

Are you referring to the symbol Temujin and the rest of the NUNS Marine Zentradi in Frontier wore? Yeah I did notice that, but at the same time it feels like a one time thing since iirc Delta's Zentradi has the original emblem and Plus also had it when Earth was holding it's ceremony before being crashed by the climax of the plot.

EDIT: Was mistaken; the Zentradi garrison from Delta also has the Frontier Zentran logo (apologies, couldn't find a better picture on hand.) Maybe it was a logo that also changed after the Second Unification Wars?

vlcsnap-2023-02-20-08h15m30s740.png

x01-magical-singing.jpg

Edited by TG Remix
Added a few pictures, corrected myself

8 hours ago, Vepariga said:

How many people died during the initial crash landing of SDF1?

Everytime I watch the first episode of SDF Macross I keep forgetting to ask/look it up if there ever was any numbers besides 'lots' 

No definitive number has ever been put on it. It's clearly a lot, given that it's mentioned that the ship's passage through the atmosphere knocked a kilometer off the top of Mount Everest, destroyed both Stockholm and Moscow, cut a wide swath of destruction across all of Europe, Iceland, and Greenland, caused volcanoes to erupt in Canada, and generally made a mess of the South Pacific. Moscow had a population of almost 9.85 million in 1999 and Stockholm had nearly 1.2 million. Europe as a whole was over 675 million at the time.

The death toll was likely catastrophic in its own right... made worse by the consequences of such massive destruction.

1 hour ago, Seto Kaiba said:

No definitive number has ever been put on it. It's clearly a lot, given that it's mentioned that the ship's passage through the atmosphere knocked a kilometer off the top of Mount Everest, destroyed both Stockholm and Moscow, cut a wide swath of destruction across all of Europe, Iceland, and Greenland, caused volcanoes to erupt in Canada, and generally made a mess of the South Pacific. Moscow had a population of almost 9.85 million in 1999 and Stockholm had nearly 1.2 million. Europe as a whole was over 675 million at the time.

The death toll was likely catastrophic in its own right... made worse by the consequences of such massive destruction.

From what you describe, it was a west-to-east path' for some reason, I thought it was "east to west" (the top of the island was "north" and the Macross impacted on the east side):

impactpath.jpg.9eb550423419266d5d78c4e368746ef5.jpg

At any rate, the fireball and shockwaves coming in would not have been a nice thing:

MacrossImpact.jpg.91d9b1a9f818d1ab52c1fceec4be38f9.jpg

7 hours ago, Bolt said:

For sure. I'm just curious if anyone knows WHEN that went into effect. Before or during the launch of the Megaroad-01 or afterwards..

Nope.  It showed up for the first time in Frontier, but it's never even commented on.

9 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

No definitive number has ever been put on it. It's clearly a lot, given that it's mentioned that the ship's passage through the atmosphere knocked a kilometer off the top of Mount Everest, destroyed both Stockholm and Moscow, cut a wide swath of destruction across all of Europe, Iceland, and Greenland, caused volcanoes to erupt in Canada, and generally made a mess of the South Pacific.

The trajectory doesn't quite make sense (as visualized by Pengbuzz).  A lot of the landmarks that it passed over are thousands of km apart, and if the ASS-1 was producing such a shock wave, it means that something on the order of 1/3 to 1/2 of the Earth would be catastrophically damaged.

However, it makes a lot more sense if the trajectory was on a curved path, like how the ISS orbits: heading northwards from Canada over Greenland, with an apex near Iceland, then curving south—passing over Stockholm and Moscow, and then starting to curve back northwards around Mount Everest with the lower apex somewhere around Hong Kong, until finally pancaking on South Ataria Island.

Something like this, but farther north, and half as far south:

ISS-Orbit-on-world-map-featured.jpg

Edited by sketchley