Bandai DX Chogokin YF-29 Durandal Valkyrie

UN Spacy

I could buy it if:

1) it was designed and built like the DX VF-27 toy OR better.

2) it came with a mod pack in the box, so the owner can just snap parts on and off and turn it into a NORMAL VF-25...

Judging by the images of the prototypes it looks much like how a good VF-25 toy should have been in the first place, only with the wrong wings and a few cosmetic changes.

Edited by regult

I don't hate it as much as others here... But I find it kind of silly that the wings are positioned so far back now that the roots obstruct the movement of the thrust nozzles. Are the wings supposed to sweep back like the VF-19? Even if the toy can't do it, what about the show? How can it swing back with the boosters still aligned correctly? o_o

And how is battroid going to work now? It looks like it'll swing the wings inward like on the 25, but that'll make the entire battroid backpack too long and bulky with protruding thrusters.

Oh well. It does look alright otherwise, and the paint scheme is nice. I think I prefer backward swept canards though.

Re: swing-wings. I wonder if it'll just pivot the outer sections, with the booster engines being the fixed pivot point. The Su-17 family is like this:

799px-Sukhoi_Su-17M4.pngsu-17.gif

I don't know if there's a specific term for "partial swing-wings".

::edit:: Looking at the latest/biggest pics again, it looks like the pivot point is inboard of the engines, and that the engines themselves are fixed. That's just not gonna work...

Not a fan.

Reminds me of a kit bashed VF-25/VF-27/VF-19...

I realize Kawamori is obligated to provide more merch for Bandai to sell, but dude...REALLY??!! :blink:

How about the enigmatic VF-24?

Put delta wings on a VF-25, tadda!! New fighter to sell on the cheap...

How can it swing back with the boosters still aligned correctly? o_o

I don't think the wings are going to swing for exactly that reason. I haven't given it much thought, but I have a suspicion that the wings will telescopically retract into the wing roots for Battroid mode until the boosters are almost flush to the roots/gloves. Just my hunch.

Edit/Add: I take back what I originally said about the wings being placed too far aft. From the top view, it doesn't look too bad actually. The 3/4 line-art just has a way of making it look worse than it is.

Edited by Vic Mancini

I don't think the wings are going to swing for exactly that reason. I haven't given it much thought, but I have a suspicion that the wings will telescopically retract into the wing roots for Battroid mode until the boosters are almost flush to the roots/gloves.

I think you're right. I just noticed that there is an edge that sits flush with the shape of the booster if it were to telescopically retract.

I think you're right. I just noticed that there is an edge that sits flush with the shape of the booster if it were to telescopically retract.

Yep, I'm almost sure of it now after looking at the new pics. I'm even wondering if the outer wing tips might also telescopically retract into the boosters.

that is sex, wtf guys its beautiful!

I admit I hate it a lot less than when I first saw it. I just can't stand mid-wing engines/boosters unless they are optional fast packs. If they were just normal forward swept wings without boosters, (like the 19), I'd like it a lot more.

Am I the only one that finds it suspicious that we haven't seen any battroid pics? Looks pretty cool so far though. Definitely a more space-aged looking valk

Well, the toy is a 1/100 model kit, so I doubt it can transform...

The more pictures, the worse it gets.

If Bandai just wants to make more valks then make the VF-171 and VF-171 EX, both fighter and Elint versions.

No controversy over a mashing of designs with a Nirvash livery.

Does this mark the end of the golden age of Macross? Call it Macross and see if the fans will lap it up?

Yes, a variable fighter with different wings than previous ones marks the end of Macross. :mellow:

That's what I don't get... the 17, 19 and 21/22 were all unique in their own right and a departure from the 'traditional' design. Not forgetting the, Az-130A, FBz-99G, Fz-109A, Fz-109F, etc...

Still not liking this very much. Would have far prefered a DX VF-171/171EX.

Graham

While I don't mind the design I would rather have the DX VF-171/171EX as well.

Not a fan.

Reminds me of a kit bashed VF-25/VF-27/VF-19...

I realize Kawamori is obligated to provide more merch for Bandai to sell, but dude...REALLY??!! :blink:

How about the enigmatic VF-24?

Put delta wings on a VF-25, tadda!! New fighter to sell on the cheap...

Exactly! Why not just give us the YF/VF-24 and call it something like the VF-29 Foxbat. (Like they did it with the VF-22 Sturmvogel) Change the gun, wings and fix the VF-25 problems. But lets face it.....this is Macross World, we'll still bitch about it.:lol:

Edited by logos

Nope, it's the end all right. Clearly, this is the first time a design hasn't been instantly loved by all.

Yeah, but of the 12 or 13 different variations you referenced only 2 of them have toys made from them (some have a models, some nothing).

Honestly I wouldn't care if the YF-29 was jst going to be a footnote, but the fact that it's going full steam ahead as what may or may not be the main protagonist Valk for a major production added with the production of at least one toy and model it just begs for negative and positive comments alike.

-b.

*edit spelling

Edited by Kanedas Bike

Exactly! Why not just give us the YF/VF-24 and call it something like the VF-29 Foxbat. (Like they did it with the VF-22 Sturmvogel) Change the gun, wings and fix the VF-25 problems. But lets face it.....this is Macross World, we'll still bitch about it.:lol:

Interesting point. Like the VF-22 much better than the YF-21. Yet to be true to the constant MW bitching had to suffer the sound force VF-11 MAXL Kai before seeing the VF-22.

Thought the YF-19 was great. Like the VF-19A. Took time to warm up to the VF-19 Kia. So it is not the wings.

The new valk has element of aircraft that are great on their own. The YF-19, SV-51 and VF-25. The engines on the wings are ES-11D Cat's Eye-ish. Put a radome on top and it may make a interesting electronic warfare variant.

As the saying goes "Looks good, flies good." and we have only see the fighter. That is only 1/3 of the product. Need to see Gerwalk and Battroid.

If it is an ugly design to make a better toy/model, how about making the VA-3. That is an ugly aircraft that I'd love to have. It only takes some effort to manufacture a good toy. Just look how far Yamato has come since the 1/72 Macross Plus valks.

Edit: On making good toys just look at the customs people have done with the old Bandai 1/65 VF-17 or the excellent models from Captain America.

Edited by Fly4victory

Personally, I think that this is really going to be an awesome design and an awesome toy to get in the year 2011. I only was able to get the VF-25F 1/60 from Bandai, I wanted the VF-27, but it was so difficult to obtain that I had to pass. Getting the hope of a new toy in the DX 1/60 line is very inviting, and I really like the looks of the new Valk. I like that it takes the best elements of the VF-25/YF-19/VF-27/SV-51 and combines them, as these are my favorite Valkyries. I agree though that final judgement will have to wait for the complete picture of the design in all three modes.

Twich

Hopefully it's a better toy than the 27 and bandai uses better quality materials and better joints and locks this time around.

Why should they waist their time trying to build quality into something that looks like a prolapsed anus with wings? They should just go for a hat-trick of fail on this one: Spontaneously disintegrating plastic and unfixable missassembly that makes it unable to transform, on a toy who's design was ugly as sin from the get go.

Personally I applaud Bandai for putting so much effort in this early towards making the worst toy of 2011. :p