Bandai DX Chogokin YF-29 Durandal Valkyrie

UN Spacy

I was under the impression that the nacelles retracted into the wing and the wing tips then folded in. The battroid does not show this at all.

Maybe these things aren't quite transformed right for the pics and they're only here for a general idea? Like if they weren't completely finished maybe some of the transforming mechanisms don't exist yet? Super wishful thinking?

When you guys say the VF-25 and YF-29 share the same legs, you mean the DX toy or the "actual" Valk in-story? I am quite sure Bandai cannot have used the same crap legs of the DX VF-25 to achieve that gerwalk mode. But, as David points out) it sure does look like Kawamori (or whoever should be blamed for this design) tried to hide the DX leg to backplate fit issue with more stuff (AKA "nacelles") into the "actual" Valk, instead of getting things tighter on the DX. In theory it's achievable, as shown in the 1/72 kit (but you need to add tabs or glue it perpetually to make it stay because of non-ratcheted joints).

I really wish the new toy could be stripped off all those extra stuff and reverted into a VF-25. Something tells me the wings are going to be a problem tongue.gif

Ok, when I say "same legs" I'm actually referring to it in a sort of backwards way, and I technically am referring to the toy, but it could apply to the aircraft in-story as well.

What I really mean is that yes, the legs of the YF-29 toy<i>look</i> as if they were taken directly from a VF-25 (aside from the new outer panels/packs). By that, I mean they share the same marking patterns, overall shape, and some finer details (the small black panel under the knee cover, certain panels).

In fact though, it's also clear thay are <i>not</i> the same legs from the toy, since they include a lower leg swivel, and earlier pictures seem to indicate opening intakes, and better detail in the feet. The DX YF-29's legs are clearly improved over the DX VF-25.

Where I'm coming from here is from the idea that they are similar enough that the legs on the YF-29 could be used to upgrade the ones on the VF-25. Swap a few smaller parts around, change up the paint, and the YF-29's legs could be used on a <i>new</i> VF-25 somewhere down the line.

If I wind up getting one or more of these things, I might be tempted to kitbash the better legs and nose of the YF-29 onto a DX VF-25. The connections will likely be very different, but having legs that will pull of a proper gerwalk pose and a nose that doesn't look like it was mounted upside down would really improve the older DX.

For what I can see in the last pictures I think that:

• The overall design of the legs is the one of the VF-25 with some improvements, which makes me hope there could be a V.2 of this some when in the future.

• The articulations of the knees look similar to the ones of the DX VF-27, including knees/thigh swivels and knee covers. Good stuff.

• Unlike the DX 25, the hips articulation seems to be in a similar position to the 1/72 VF-25’s one. Excellent.

• The general proportions of the toy in all its three modes looks similar to a scaled up 1/72 model. Great.

• I can’t read Japanese but I guess the idea of the big interrogation sign near the back of the toy is to make us guess which the biggest innovation of this bird is, and that’s probably the gun nacelles. But doesn’t the cockpit look a bit unprotected in Battroid mode? I need more pics…

• That’s a lot of kibble for Battroid mode, pretty much the same than for the VF-25/27 in Gerwalk mode.

While there seem to be some nice improvements for the DX line I’m still not very fond of the design. Maybe if I love the film to come I could love the valk…

Edited by Reïvaj

Larger scans of the DX posted in the YF-29 (canon, in-series info)thread in the Movies and TV Series Section - credit to CF 18 for posting them.

Hopefully Bandai executes well on the design.

-b.

The link: http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=34397&view=findpost&p=899902

Ok, I officially like it a lot. Looks a lot like the 25 model kit in terms of leanness. Just hope that for that price you get A LOT of worthwhile extras.

The negative part is that the back looks like it will eat a lot of space.

Any word on a release date for this?

Estimated as June 2011.

The scans CF18 provided is appreciated. There's a lot of interesting topics covered in the Figure Oh articles -such as the wish to redo the VF-25, possibly doing other Valkyries in the DX line, future of the Hi-Metal line, the 1/72 YF-29 kit, a Real Grade Valkyrie kit, and plans for the 30th anniversary of Macross.

Nothing concrete though. Just a lot of wishful thinking/wanting by Bandai reps.

Wow, I'm digging the design more and more. I think the face is similar to a VF-1J, but better looking than the 25F. Depending on how I like it in the movie, and how the back looks, I might try to get one of these. Definitely, if it'll help nudge them toward a version 2 of the VF-25.

Estimated as June 2011.

The scans CF18 provided is appreciated. There's a lot of interesting topics covered in the Figure Oh articles -such as the wish to redo the VF-25, possibly doing other Valkyries in the DX line, future of the Hi-Metal line, the 1/72 YF-29 kit, a Real Grade Valkyrie kit, and plans for the 30th anniversary of Macross.

Can you elaborate? I only took 1 year of Japanese and that was years ago...so it would take a while for me to figure out what they said from those scans.

Estimated as June 2011.

So lots of BS and lies to get the fans all excited before they kick us in the collective balls again with their crappy toys and failure to deliver.

yeah... not falling for it this time Bandai. <_<

Can you elaborate? I only took 1 year of Japanese and that was years ago...so it would take a while for me to figure out what they said from those scans.

Regarding the DX line, in short the Collector's Division interviewee says something to the order that the DX line had been a learning process from the VF-25 to the VF-27, and now to the YF-29. Learning with each toy as well as receiving feedback from customers. Apparently customers have wrote to Bandai saying - "make the VF-25 like the VF-27". The interviewee says if the opportunity is there, they'd like to look into brushingup the VF-25 toy. Customers have also wrote in for new Valkyrie toys and ofcourse that's another area they'd like to consider.

As for the Hi-Metal line, for now they're going to focus on main character Valkyries - with the next ones being the Macross Plus YF-19 and YF-21. There's also strong demand for a VF-25 in the Hi-Metal lineup.

The YF-29 perfect transfomation model kit will come out after the DX toy. The Hobby Division* rep says he wants it to be the ultimate representation of the YF-29. The interviewer says he wants a Perfect Grade VF-25 kit. The interviewee says how about a Real Grade kit.

*Note: Bandai's "Collector's Division" handles the DX and Hi-Metal toy lines. Bandai's "Hobby Division" handles the plastic model lines.

Like I wrote above, nothing concrete. But it does give one a small insight to how the respective divisions of Bandai are thinking/feeling.

As for the Hi-Metal line, for now they're going to focus on main character Valkyries - with the next ones being the Macross Plus YF-19 and YF-21. There's also strong demand for a VF-25 in the Hi-Metal lineup.

It's good to finally hear some some word on it other than those YF-21 prototype scans from forever ago.

Regarding the DX line, in short the Collector's Division interviewee says something to the order that the DX line had been a learning process from the VF-25 to the VF-27, and now to the YF-29. Learning with each toy as well as receiving feedback from customers. Apparently customers have wrote to Bandai saying - "make the VF-25 like the VF-27". The interviewee says if the opportunity is there, they'd like to look into brushingup the VF-25 toy. Customers have also wrote in for new Valkyrie toys and ofcourse that's another area they'd like to consider.

The YF-29 perfect transfomation model kit will come out after the DX toy. The Hobby Division* rep says he wants it to be the ultimate representation of the YF-29. The interviewer says he wants a Perfect Grade VF-25 kit. The interviewee says how about a Real Grade kit.

*Note: Bandai's "Collector's Division" handles the DX and Hi-Metal toy lines. Bandai's "Hobby Division" handles the plastic model lines.

Like I wrote above, nothing concrete. But it does give one a small insight to how the respective divisions of Bandai are thinking/feeling.

Thanks!

So there is the possibility of a DX VF-25 v2!

From what I've seen about the DX YF-29, I have high hopes for it.

Even if that means I need to collect all those super parts, armor parts, tornado parts... Reactive missiles... Speaker pods...

At least I don't need new Ghosts.

Even the magazine scan said that VF-25 and VF-29 shared common components, since they were both developed in parallel off the YF-24 test bed.

It's a thinly veiled plan to use the new VF-29 die for an improved VF-25 DX. ^_^

post-9743-129884402789_thumb.jpg

Edited by nanoplasm

Even the magazine scan said that VF-25 and VF-29 shared common components, since they were both developed in parallel off the YF-24 test bed.

It's a thinly veiled plan to use the new VF-29 die for an improved VF-25 DX. ^_^

post-9743-129884402789_thumb.jpg

Why do the arrows point from the VF-29 towards the VF-25? Is the VF-25 supposed to be a dumbed down VF-29 or something?

Why do the arrows point from the VF-29 towards the VF-25? Is the VF-25 supposed to be a dumbed down VF-29 or something?

They don't. The arrows point from the VF-25 towards the YF-29. I think it's all a thinly veiled admission that the DX-29 does in fact reuse parts from the DX-25.

In other news the DX-29 still looks like crap and is going to be a crap toy just like every other DX to date. ^_^

They don't. The arrows point from the VF-25 towards the YF-29. I think it's all a thinly veiled admission that the DX-29 does in fact reuse parts from the DX-25.

In other news the DX-29 still looks like crap and is going to be a crap toy just like every other DX to date. ^_^

Your sarcasm aside, I really hope that you're wrong about the DX-29.

While I'm still not sold on the design I hope the toy turns out nicely and that if (more likely when) a redesigned DX 25 is released it can hold it's own (aesthetically speaking/adherence to line-art accuracy) with some of the other 1/60 scale Valkyries released within the past few years.

-b.

The graph has nothing to do with the development of the toys. The 1/72 YF-25 Prophesy kit is pointing to the DX Alto. The DX Alto is pointing to the 1/100 YF-29 kit and the 1/72 Tornado kit. This is a graph in terms of how the mecha have evolved from the YF-24.

Much appreciated Vifam, hopefully at least some of the aforementioned toys do reach fruition either before, or for, Macross 30th.

Every time I hear toy designers say "if the opportunity is there", it usually means "yeah we're already working on it we just need a spot to open/free up in the toyline(s)", at least this has happened with US companies. Might be the same for Japan. The easiest route is using the DX YF-29 parts and mating them with some of the DX VF-25 parts.

29 looks cool...need to see more pics.

The prototype(s) YF-29 shown bear all the traits one would have expected from the original DX VF-25 release, I remember how disappointed I became when prototypes of that thing first appeared!

I hate to have to wait for a "possibly-maybe" revised version, hope it happens within this decade!

No worries, before that we would get the Hi-Metal ones. :)

Remember how I booed the DX VF-25 when its pictures were announced and how I reacted when I see the YF-29 ("is that a model kit?")... Damn, they could have made the DX less hateful had they tried.

I find it kind of funny that Bandai needed the fans to tell them that the VF-25 was crappy compared to the VF-27. But still it's good news. I can't believe it's taken them this many tries to come up with a good VF-25 given their prior experience, but if they come up with a decent looking new VF-25, I'd probably buy all of the versions this time, since I passed on most of the first version.

If they do wind up making a new VF-25, they had better not re-use any of the original DX pieces. That thing was designed sloppily from the get-go, and needs to be redone entirely. Well, I suppose if they REALLY need to use some old parts.. the tails weren't too bad, and the hands were decent enough. tongue.gif

The thing that worries me most of all is that they actually pay attention to how the thing is supposed to fit together next time. The design of the legs and the quarter-assed method they used to realign them for fast pack use was a load of utter crap. And if they can't manage to make the wings not curl, they need to give up and sell the license to Yamato.

On the other hand, I'm glad to see they're also making a 1/72 transforming kit of the YF-29 so I can have one or two to match with my other kits. I do hope they continue the 1/100 fighter mode kits too though. It's nice to have the option of a kit that's not made of a gajillion pieces and takes forever to build and paint.

Edited by Chronocidal

Well, if you go by MacrossWorld no one likes the Bandai DX VF-25 toy and every Yamato V2 is in desperate need of replacement shoulders. Perhaps one needs to look beyond this drop in the ocean for the whole story? Nah, F that, only what gets posted here matters.

Even on this board someone too argued that as the DX sold well, they are okay.

The DX line seems like it did alright. I mean it didn't stop abruptly like the VF100's line did. I'm guessing it must have done alright for Tamashii to continue pushing out releases even until now.

I hope Tamashii will eventually make something that is not prone to looseness over time, and is as high quality as their SOC's. Hopefully the 29, quality-wise, is a step in the right direction, and I'd love to see a 25 with improvements carried over from the 27 and 29.