Dredd 3D - in theaters Sept. 21, 2012

Zor Primus

The Mayans predicted 2012 to be when we meet the Apocalypse -- now I know why...

"I KNEW YOU'D SAY THAT..."

As someone who doesn't care about the original comic, or comics in general, f*ck this shit. The Sly Stallone movie is great, we don't need a remake <_<

QFT, man...

Edited by Shaorin

• 8 months later...

Urban is a great actor and brings it with every role in the last few years he's taken on.

Whilst the script might be good (hard to tell from this), the trailer was underwhelming for me.

Part of the issue is that I don't think they had enough money to do Dredd justice here (excuse the pun). Production values are bad. OR the art director needed to be changed. The helmet itself looks oversize which makes ther person inside look SMALLER. This is NOT what you want for Dredd! It should be the other way around.

The bikes look ridiculous, and they are not show here, but the 'vans' the police drive look straight out of 80's 'C' movie cheese where they paint a truck black and put a 'modern' font on it with weird bullbar and call it futuristic.

What rings true for me is Dredd taking on a towerblock - either by himself or with a rookie. It's been decades since I read Dredd, but that sound like a plotline straight out of the comics.

I hope it works, I'll certainly see it but my expectations will be low.

At least he hasn't taken off his helmet. I didn't mind Stallone's version, but I wish he'd kept his helmet on.

Dredd is an 'ideal', not a person.

You can tell it never had much of a chance to begin with, September is death for movie releases.

In the west. maybe... Urban's Aussie-kinda so our September is the Southern Hemisphere's Spring (right?)

At least he hasn't taken off his helmet. I didn't mind Stallone's version, but I wish he'd kept his helmet on.

Dredd is an 'ideal', not a person.

had someone had the balls to get Stallone to keep the helm on constantly per cannon (was it his idea or someone else's?), the movie would have been better, retard comicry and all...

> In the west. maybe...

You know what I mean, studios put the films they expect to do very poorly in the September release slot. To go along with that they get a pathetic advertising budget too. There have been a handful of late summer or early fall releases that broke out of the trap, but not many.

The city looks like a cheap B-movie setting. Your normal big city with some fake big building painted here and there. i like the multileveled one in the Stalone one waaaaaaaaay better.

This looks like "The Raid" part two.

You know I'm kinda tired of everyone comparing to the raid. Even though Dredd was in announced 2008 and filming started in 2010.

So.. looks awesome. Better than the Stallone version.

Yeah, I know that, but if the people responsible for Dredd really wanted to distance themselves from The Raid, a trailer that makes you think of the other movie is not a good idea, specially when your trailer looks a lot more crappier than the other one. If they had a solid Dredd product, they would show that off. Instead we get some low budged looking stuff and bland action scenes. I wanted a Dredd movie, not the Raid with crappier action and someone doing his impersonation of Nolan’s Batman voice.

Edited by Twoducks

Yeah, I know that, but if the people responsible for Dredd really wanted to distance themselves from The Raid, a trailer that makes you think of the other movie is not a good idea, specially when your trailer looks a lot more crappier than the other one. If they had a solid Dredd product, they would show that off. Instead we get some low budged looking stuff and bland action scenes. I wanted a Dredd movie, not the Raid with crappier action and someone doing his impersonation of Nolan’s Batman voice.

Once you compare it to the raid in stead of the other judge dredd movie. The makers are not trying go against the raid but the original judge dredd movie.

And the Raid was $1 million...

Convert pounds to rupiah.

I really wish the movie would follow the comic uniform and helmet, as Planet Replicas have shown they can make make a fantastic looking version that is faithful to the comic and with a helmet that does not look too large unlike the movie helmet.

And with 35 years of comic backstory to draw from, I would have loved to see one of the Dredd mega-epics make it into film, such as The Cursed Earth, The Judge Child Quest, The Pit, Necropolis, Apocalypse War, Day of Chaos etc, etc., rather than this very small scale story they have come up with.

The only actor who should really play and voice Dredd is a younger Clint Eastwood, unfortunately he's a bit too old now. Still, they can do wonders with CGI.

I really think Dredd would work much better as an ultraviolent anime type series, rather than a live action movie. There would be fewer limitations caused by lack of budget then.

And for you American's who's only exposure to Dredd was that grud-awful Stallone movie, go read some of the above-mentioned graphic novels.

Graham

(Proudly reading Judge Dredd/2000AD since 1977)

Mixed emotions about the trailer. I have been hoping for a Dredd film that is much less of a farce than what we were given years back, but I can't quite find the enthusiasm for this trailer. The casting appears great (I'll watch Karl Urban and Lena Heady in anything) and I do love the much better and far more menacingly reserved reading of the infamous "I am the law" line. But I'm really hoping there's more good here than has been shown in that trailer. it wouldn't be the first time a good movie had a lousy trailer, especially true when a film is trying to deliver something different from the norm and those stupid marketing twits can't edit a trailer that properly showcases anything outside their typical template :)

I will say that while a lot of recent sci-fi has benefitted from realism and more grounded special effects work, I do think this is one example where the near-future trend of modern sci-fi is not serving the far-future theme of the source material. Perhaps I am looking at this trailer and the effects through old-school eyes, but that skyline did not feel very "mega-city" to me. Not saying I want to see the awful Burton-like skyline in the old film, but I was hoping for less sprawl and more density than what we see in that trailer. Custumes-wise it looks good and I do appreciate the less silly looking uniforms. The look is at least selling it.

Naturally, I did sense The Raid in this trailer, which is perhaps one reason why they may have had a difficult time editing something together that doesn't look too much like one of the best action films to come out this year. But aside from setting, this does feel like it's own show, so I'm not too worried about that. The real thing to worry about is if this movie will even hold a candle to something like The Raid. i have some doubts :)

hmmmm.... no complaints with the casting (alhough I must admit, despite being miscast, Stallones JAW was freaking awesome back in the day) but i think the film's biggest challenge will be rising above its obviously limited budget. Smart editing and judicious use of SFX can make this possible but we shall just have to wait and see, I guess.

And for you American's who's only exposure to Dredd was that grud-awful Stallone movie, go read some of the above-mentioned graphic novels.

Actually, my first exposure was through the band Anthrax

Slashfilm just released a video review of "Dredd". All three of the critics really liked the film and said it was a solid old school action movie that really succeeds where most of these other retro-style flicks fail. For anyone who is interested, the link is here: http://www.slashfilm.com/video-blog-dredd-harkens-action-films-eighties-comiccon-2012/