Mortal Kombat Movie

EXO

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_MqZn7E-mk&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_MqZn7E-mk&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_MqZn7E-mk&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Saw this on Kotaku earlier. Not sure what it will actually be for, probably a movie just looking at the people in the vid. That being said it does seem to have some spoilers in it. Could be a very high end live action preview of a new MK game as well.

This is from CHUD:

UPDATE 2: Cat's out of the bag. This is for the movie, and it comes from the mind of genius fight choreographer Larnell Stovall. He's the guy who did the fights for the excellent Undisputed 3: Redemption, on DVD and Blu-Ray right now. I hope that this movie gets made with Larnell plotting the punches, because this guy isn't just a geek like us, he's also got an incredible skill and ambition to create the next generation of fight choreography.

UPDATE: For those saying this is a video tied in to E3 and a launch for a new Mortal Kombat game - I am 99% sure that is not the case. This is for a new Mortal Kombat movie.

This video just showed up in my inbox, and while I would normally dismiss it as the work of a fan with waaaaay too much disposable income, something caught my eye. A couple of weeks ago I had a chance to chat with someone involved in the latest iteration of the video game adaptation, and they told me that the hook of this movie was going to be 'realism.' He also told me a couple of other things that are reflected in this video, including the origins of Reptile and Baraka, which makes me believe that this is a proof of concept or demo reel, possibly for investors.

I guess it's just been confirmed as a movie and not a video game trailer.

as a MK fan,I loved this 8 minute scene,It has taken the core story,and given the characters a realistic and grounded feel which works best for film,retaining the gore and savagery is a big plus aswell,Im all for this! I may even say im fairly excited,this is what Mortal Kombat needed to breathe fresh air into the franchise.

Wow, it's really difficult not to get excited about the quality of this...

More than likely it's not an actual trailer, more like a mini-pilot. But I do hope that if any movie, game or other production being made follows this story outline. If they are preparing for a movie then dammit they better use all of the actors shown.

-b.

Very nice trailer. At first I felt that this couldn't possibly be a movie, as this trailer looks "Amateurish / High Quality."

Trailers for movies based on VG (and the movies themselves for that matter lol) will have that "Professional / Flaming Bag of Sh!t" quality.

At least the fight choreography was... good. Though I don't know why Baraka didn't just use his blades from the get-go... and why kill off Johnny Cage at the beginning :(.

If they get rid of the supernatural stuff entirely, I'll be very sad. But from what I feel from the trailer, I'm a bit more optimistic about it.

No matter how bad this movie may or may not be, it's still going to be better the the last one. Mortal Kombat: Annihilation was awful. The fight scenes were at least decent in this short. If they maintain the supernatural elements from the game, it might not be too bad. Either way, I'm still keeping my expectations low.

i liked the clip! I could totally envision a bloody, gory MK the way it's really portrayed in the games and was known for. I actually liked the 1st MK movie, but yea, the 2nd one totally blew.

this is something i'd definitely be interested in. Go 7 of 9

Finally !!!! mortal combat always had potential but it always had a B or even C movie make.(dragon ball) But now its got the look of lets say punisher (not the last one but the one before) and to quote the guy above if black dynamites in it all the better!!!

Can someone confirm the studios actually agreed to funding this tester? Anyone else read the interview with Kevin Tancharoen? This short was meant as a proposal for re-lauching MK using more modern themes. Full interview w/audio here: http://www.collider.com/2010/06/09/kevin-tancharoen-interview-mortal-kombat-rebirth-feature-film/

Edited by Fortress_Maximus

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...