Guest davidwhangchoi

wow, i didn't know that

London Philharmonic Orchestra did Gradius :o it's really long in several movements, if i didn't know better i would've thought it was just some random classical piece. i put up the last part.

my favorites are 10:55 and the boss theme at 12:00 :)

Edited by davidwhangchoi

Guest davidwhangchoi

Konami's arcade shooters for the PC Engine are excellent conversions.

pc enigne was awesome. damn you nintendo for locking up all the publishers so they couldn't release the games on turbo grafx16 in the u.s.

i used to read EGM and gamepro and look at all the ads pics for the import games stores would carry. it was like looking at the Macross DYRL gold book that was so expensive.

if you want to just read up on old editorials that are long oop and not online:

this is a good place to read up on some classic issues (text only)

here's a sample of a gamepro issue w/ an old interview on hideo kojima when he was young:

http://archive.org/stream/GamePro_Issue_111_Volume_09_Number_12_1997-12_IDG_Publishing_US/GamePro_Issue_111_Volume_09_Number_12_1997-12_IDG_Publishing_US_djvu.txt

Edited by davidwhangchoi

Guest davidwhangchoi

yeah i was checking out some of those ms dos games.

btw, it looks like the site is back to normal so you can access complete full color scans of old game mag issues here:

https://archive.org/details/gamemagazines

the gamepro issue i linked above in full color:

https://archive.org/details/GamePro_Issue_111_Volume_09_Number_12_1997-12_IDG_Publishing_US

Edited by davidwhangchoi

Pretty much. IT's my universal cleaner.

Only thing I can think of, aside fro the obvious "keep it off the labels" is to be wary of inked details, which is usually only an issue on hardware.

As it turns out, the controller port labels on an NES are printed in an alcohol-soluble ink. Yes, I learned this the hard way.

Pretty much. IT's my universal cleaner.

Only thing I can think of, aside fro the obvious "keep it off the labels" is to be wary of inked details, which is usually only an issue on hardware.

As it turns out, the controller port labels on an NES are printed in an alcohol-soluble ink. Yes, I learned this the hard way.

It is pretty much the same with my SNES. As a child I put waterslide temporary tattoos all over it. As I tried to clean it as an adult I almost rubbed off the Super Nintendo label. ^_^

Guest davidwhangchoi

loved this game: hard as hell. (without emulator saves)

aaand UBER PITFALL for nes

Super Pitfall - Angry Video Game Nerd - Episode 76 (warning: explicit language!)

Edited by davidwhangchoi

Ninja Gaiden is HARD. As in "Battletoads hard". (but not as hard as Battletoads, nothing is).

I did eventually get to the final boss, (after like, 20 years) but never beat it.

Still some of the best music ever. Up there with MM2/3 for "catchy stage themes".

I never owned any of the Mega Man or Castlevania games as a kid. I rented them a couple times, though. I don't think I got particularly far in any of the Ninja Gaiden games, but I made some progress in Castlevania 3.

Eh, I was always more of a Mega Man guy myself. We were kind of poor when I was a kid, so I remember getting maybe two or three games a year total (never more than one on my birthday, two for Christmas if my dad got overtime). Seems like I was always asking for Mega Man.

Guest davidwhangchoi

I never owned any of the Mega Man or Castlevania games as a kid. I rented them a couple times, though. I don't think I got particularly far in any of the Ninja Gaiden games, but I made some progress in Castlevania 3.

Eh, I was always more of a Mega Man guy myself. We were kind of poor when I was a kid, so I remember getting maybe two or three games a year total (never more than one on my birthday, two for Christmas if my dad got overtime). Seems like I was always asking for Mega Man.

i thought this was fascinating seeing kids of this generation playing a retro game:

Mega Man 1 is the first hard game i beat on the nes. i was so proud of myself.

especially this part:

http://youtu.be/DYpP_HSAWFs

Edited by davidwhangchoi

Guest davidwhangchoi

I just ran into this article regarding CRT monitors: The Best CRT Monitor for Retro Gaming. It's not a bad read, quite informative actually.

i always use scanlines on all my emulators nes, snes, genesis and mame and adjust the settings w/ OCD :wub: and same with aspect ratio. psxe emulator scanlines have settings between 0-255 for scanline brightness. i went through each number just to get it right. (124) (the aspect ratio is also inaccurate so i have to do a custom window setting to match the output to my tv.)

great article. i do miss my 19" sony crt tv from the 80's, my brother owned an KD-34XBR970. great set but a pain to move. that other industry standard monitor looks cool...

Guest davidwhangchoi

this is one bleepin game i played in the arcade and just gave up because the difficulty was unrealistic.

Twin Eagle is pretty much airwolf (what other huey bell can go mach speed and fly against fighter planes in existence?) gameplay is two parts once as slow paced against tanks copters infantry and the part goes high spped against fighter planes.

the power ups are lame. but i kept sticking in quarters bc i wanted to test my manhood and dodging skills. (but the game is not about dodging at all) you can't really dodge bc the bullets come in so fast.

the only great thing were the sound effects. top notch: love the horse sound:

this guy does it with one man(life):

pretty much it's memory kill: hit the enemy's before they appear on screen. (bc there's no way to win once you let the enemies actually appear on screen) never thought i see the day someone actual beats such a horrible designed game to take your quarters.

Guest davidwhangchoi

anyone ever play the 3DO? i never had any friends who had it.

i almost had my hands on a neo geo with 3 games for 200 but i passed bc each cart was like buying a system (damn i regret it)

anyways i ran accross this and forgot about the 3DO ^_^ REALLY NSFW!!!!

worst game ever

next thing i never touched was the phillips cd-i

Edited by davidwhangchoi

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Remeber how a while back I was asking about vintage mecha games and was asking for a list of classic and notable games that I would use to create a blog or a database? Well I decided to roll all that knowledge up into a panel for Anime Boston and it just got accepted!

Coming soon Anime Boston 2015!

Heavy Metal Heroes: a guide to piloted mecha in video games!

This is going to be a busy con for me with this panel and the Air Combat one already being accepted. I also have two others on the wait list that may or may not happen. :)

Guest davidwhangchoi

Remeber how a while back I was asking about vintage mecha games and was asking for a list of classic and notable games that I would use to create a blog or a database? Well I decided to roll all that knowledge up into a panel for Anime Boston and it just got accepted!

Coming soon Anime Boston 2015!

Heavy Metal Heroes: a guide to piloted mecha in video games!

This is going to be a busy con for me with this panel and the Air Combat one already being accepted. I also have two others on the wait list that may or may not happen. :)

nice!!! keep us updated. hopefully with pics from the booth.

• 3 weeks later...

Fantasy Zone, Space Harrier, Ecco, Shinobi 3 and Streets of Rage are already on the e-shop in their beautiful 3d remastered forms. Outrun is going to be released on Thursday if I remember correctly. If you want them in physical form then yeah your outta luck in the US.

Guest davidwhangchoi

i always loved c64 music, they always came up with good stuff:

commando high score:

rob hubbard (composer) playing it live:

Edited by davidwhangchoi

Guest davidwhangchoi

black valkyrie, this game is one of the first arcade games i played at a super arcade (it was i believe in manhattan 34th st Penn station called "Space Station." i was too young, unknowingly watch the demo of the tomcat part and thought this was a topgun style game. after putting in 50cents (man, two quarters was a lot of money to a little kid) the intro showed a plane taking off a carrier. (super excited) then i start out as a helicopter :wacko:?? being so little i was confused and just died quickly. game over... was the first misleading demo/intro i've experienced.

AJAX everytime i scrub my bathroom i keep thinking of that misleading game :lol: