Guest davidwhangchoi

I love Resident Evil style gms. any game with a story and suspense type of action/rpg ish i love.

Dino Crisis was the expansion of the survival horror genre from zombies to dinos, Love it! The b movie style dialogue and the jerk commander was very entertaining.

Edited by davidwhangchoi

I finally got around to replaying DC and DC2 not too long ago, it had probably been 5 years or more since I played them. Great games, I forgot how good the dino AI was for that time (damn raptors). Shame the series is dead, guess no one cares about killing dinosaurs anymore :( .

Guest davidwhangchoi

that was an awesome game. first one with 3d rendered backgrounds in place of static pictures.

this was the first arcade game that gave me a headache and sorta creepy when i was i kid. it made me think SNK and Japanese programmers were weird for coming up with this game.

Yep! Used to love playing that game, at the time I thought the dunks were the coolest thing in life ever. My friend and I would have Double Dribble and Pro Wrestling tournaments (Star Man vs. Fighter Hayabusa).

-b.

Guest davidwhangchoi

anyone play this in the arcade. this and donkey kong jr. were classic nintendo at their best. and all those pocketwatch tabletop games.

Edited by davidwhangchoi

anyone play this in the arcade. this and donkey kong jr. were classic nintendo at their best. and all those pocketwatch tabletop games.

Heck yeah. Most of the time the big red button for the special punches was not working or just gone. I never did see a cabinet for the sequel though.

That looks like a good time right there. Homebrew Dreamcast game-awesome.

Cool! I have a Dreamcast which I have used for all of 4 minutes, just sitting in a drawer. How is this going to be sold? Is it only through that online store? The official website only mentions a NeoGeo version, I can't find any reference to the DC version.

^Hey JBO, did you mean to put this in the Transformers thread?

And I keep hearing about how Whirl is an awesome character in the comics but for some reason I can't convince myself to pick him up every time I see him on the shelves.

-b.

Guest davidwhangchoi

Cool! I have a Dreamcast which I have used for all of 4 minutes, just sitting in a drawer. How is this going to be sold? Is it only through that online store? The official website only mentions a NeoGeo version, I can't find any reference to the DC version.

looking at the dates on the Dev team's site: the neogeo version was released in October 2013 and then a couple months later the dreamcast version was released Feb 2014 for their previous game Neo XYX.

http://www.ngdevteam.com/

Edited by davidwhangchoi

^Hey JBO, did you mean to put this in the Transformers thread?

And I keep hearing about how Whirl is an awesome character in the comics but for some reason I can't convince myself to pick him up every time I see him on the shelves.

-b.

Nope, post is right where it belongs. This was ABSOLUTELY retro gaming related.

Now excuse me while I hide in a corner for a while.

(I really just like less-human robots. I know next to nothing about Whirl. Knowledge pretty much starts and ends at "He's a sarcastic jackass"... which, while endearing in and of itself, isn't enough to sell me on a character.)

Edited by JB0

Nope, post is right where it belongs. This was ABSOLUTELY retro gaming related.

Now excuse me while I hide in a corner for a while.

(I really just like less-human robots. I know next to nothing about Whirl. Knowledge pretty much starts and ends at "He's a sarcastic jackass"... which, while endearing in and of itself, isn't enough to sell me on a character.)

Ha! Gotcha. :lol:

Although now I'm intrigued about Whirl as a character.

I'm sure it won't be long before David or someone wanders in and gets us back on topic.

-b.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest davidwhangchoi

anyone play Karnov in the arcades? i was always intrigued by the secrets and hidden items. it felt like a console game with all the items to select like the ladder to use and put away

Guest davidwhangchoi

Back in the day EGM which was the greatest videogame magazine out there: (gamepro was for babies)

The Review Crew were tough and educated:

Steve Harris, Ed Semrad, Martin Alessi, and the original Sushi-X

Martin was really into space shooters, Sushi-x fighting games. (sushi was too easy to please)

but this game got 9,9,9,9 and was considered (one of) the best shooter of snes (i think this game was already mentioned but giving another shout out to the EGM review)

Axelay

Edited by davidwhangchoi

but this game got 9,9,9,9 and was considered (one of) the best shooter of snes (i think this game was already mentioned but giving another shout out to the EGM review)

Axelay

I'm going to say this game had the best audio of any SNES game period. That is, music and sounds combined. You can argue other games had better music (though you'd probably be wrong), but no game comes even close to its sound effects. Every little blip and tap is quite "musical"---from different weapons, to the enemies, to the different sounds made by weapon impact. It all blends with the soundtrack amazingly.

Guest davidwhangchoi

I got those Two game pads recently Sega portable USB pad, Baffalo classic SNES USB pad and they are both excellent in quality and performance.

those look like the real deal

I'm going to say this game had the best audio of any SNES game period. That is, music and sounds combined. You can argue other games had better music (though you'd probably be wrong), but no game comes even close to its sound effects. Every little blip and tap is quite "musical"---from different weapons, to the enemies, to the different sounds made by weapon impact. It all blends with the soundtrack amazingly.

i was really stupid when i was a kid and skipped buying it. i still regret it today. but i'm glad at least i can emulate it.

this was the game i was really into:

Guest davidwhangchoi

i just discovered this 90's side scrolling neogeo shooter by SNK i'm going to check it out on mame, looks really cool:

Prehistoric Isle in 1930

Guest davidwhangchoi

If you like that, you should give Boogie Wings a chance. Its unique in that if your plane gets shot down you can proceed on foot and use other vehicles to continue.

thanks i will check it out, i noticed it's running on the same hardware as data east's captain america and the avengers. even the same sound effects are used from avengers.

Edited by davidwhangchoi

Guest davidwhangchoi

Not sure if we talked about it here already but Time Pilot is also a fun game.

oh yeah! i still play it on my down time. great game

So did anyone end up getting the RetroN 5? I went to my local retrogame store expecting to see a pile of them there, but they said they sold out pretty quickly. I then checked eBay's completed auction listings and it's been selling for nearly double its MSRP. :blink:

Can't say I did. I own original hardware for just about everything it does(exception: I don't have a GameBoy Player for GBA on a TV) and a proper CRT to connect them to, and if I wanted a dedicated emulation box, I'd build one.

It's certainly neat, and I respect them for making it, but... it's not something I'm interested in.

Pity they didn't include a Master System cart slot while they were at it. Requiring a Power Base Converter is kind of jerkish, though the molded recess for the back tab is very nice.

Now, the CONTROLLER, on the other hand... if it works as good as it looks, it's totally worth my money.