Guest davidwhangchoi

Yeah sega released the first wave a few months ago. Space harrier, super hang on, galaxy force 2, ecco the dolphin, sonic the hedgehog, altered beast, shinobi 3 and streets of rage got an enhanced port with a bunch of extra options and 3d to boot. Just use the store search function and tap in arcade, scroll over a few games and you should start to see them.

Here's the japanese version of afterburner 2 3d.

that guy is insane. i can't believe how he doesn't get hit.

also i watched outrun's 3ds and all the glitches are still present to make it authentic to the arcade.

thunder blade cab. i remember playing this a few times and thinking i wish i was airwolf not blue thunder:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest davidwhangchoi

Woohoo! Just got my weekly ad from GOG, Xwing and Tie Fighter (and a bunch of other Lucas Arts game classics) are now available there.

saw those. i wish i could play the new star wars arcade game

Great game but I think the decades old graphics will be a turn-off for me. Would it kill them to update the game with HD graphics?!

Blame Lucas. Wouldn't do anything with Xwing or Dark Forces/Jedi Knight franchises except let them sit and rot after being successful. Also I'm sure Disney is watching sales of Xwing and Tie to see if it's feasable to resurrect the Xwing brand. So buy!

Finally started playing the games. 640x480 resolution only and my AMD display was acting up and not scaling the display at all (like playing on a postage stamp!). Finally got it working and I'm amazed at how nice the graphics actually are considering the age of the games.

I did my part :lol: . If you want to play a good Star Wars space sim game with decent graphics try X-Wing Alliance, GOG may even re-release it if we are lucky. Tie Fighter is still the all time best for me though, damn rebel terrorists.

I actually have CD-ROMS for X-Wings Alliance and TIE Fighter (sadly, I don't have my DOS copy of TIE Fighter anymore).

I remember thinking X-Wing Alliace was alright, but TIE Fighter is where it's at. I bought an inexpensive flight stick (Logitech Extreme 3D Pro)to play the CD-ROM version, and I remember putting a ton of hours into it.

Hmm. I still have the flight stick. I think I might have to buy TIE Fighter again...

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I think a single converter box would be the better option, due to greater versatility, but I don't deny this is far cheaper.

I'd like to believe anyone that would spring for one of these has more than one pre-component console, and that versatility will make up the difference. But then, I'd also like to believe they're maintaining a decent CRT, which I know many of them aren't.

It's worth noting that the Genesis has a tendency to use composite artifacting to generate colors and effects that the Genesis "can't do", and those are going to be lost this way.

It's not going to affect most games, some of the ones it DOES affect will be subtle, and it's going to be such a major improvement over the Genny's composite video output in many* cases that the tradeoff is worth it, but it's something that needs to be mentioned.

* The Genesis has a good deal of hardware variation, and some of the TV encoder chips Sega used were... not very good, to be charitable. The good ones are VERY good, but the bad ones are equally bad. RGB, fortunately, is unaffected by the TV encoder. This leads to an amusing situation where the 32x can "upgrade" the graphics of regular Genesis games. Due to the way it works, the 32x is fed raw RGB from the host Genny in all circumstances, and it's encoded into composite video by the 32x's internal TV encoder. All 32xes have the "good" encoder, so on many Genesissies, the installation of a 32x greatly improves image quality for ALL compatible** software.

**Which means this doesn't work for Genesis Virtua Racing(the 32x version is better anyways, geez!), and Master System software(this is more problematic, but... buy a Master System. It'll look sexy as hell on your shelf. Everything else works through a 32x just fine... except maybe the Game Genie. Not sure on that one, you dirty cheater. Basically, it's a non-issue in the modern era.

ANYWAYS! It's a neat thing, and I do like that they're considering the different output behaviors of the different systems.

(Is the Super Nintendo one dual-mode? Because my understanding is there's two very different behaviors for SNES RGB)

Guest davidwhangchoi

Just an FYI, but I do have a MIB Turbo Duo for sale. ("new old stock")

if you had a pc engine/turbo express... OOOOoooo, i would be asking how many HU cards do you have :D

Edited by davidwhangchoi

Guest davidwhangchoi

Well, I think a single converter box would be the better option, due to greater versatility, but I don't deny this is far cheaper.

I'd like to believe anyone that would spring for one of these has more than one pre-component console, and that versatility will make up the difference. But then, I'd also like to believe they're maintaining a decent CRT, which I know many of them aren't.

It's worth noting that the Genesis has a tendency to use composite artifacting to generate colors and effects that the Genesis "can't do", and those are going to be lost this way.

It's not going to affect most games, some of the ones it DOES affect will be subtle, and it's going to be such a major improvement over the Genny's composite video output in many* cases that the tradeoff is worth it, but it's something that needs to be mentioned.

* The Genesis has a good deal of hardware variation, and some of the TV encoder chips Sega used were... not very good, to be charitable. The good ones are VERY good, but the bad ones are equally bad. RGB, fortunately, is unaffected by the TV encoder. This leads to an amusing situation where the 32x can "upgrade" the graphics of regular Genesis games. Due to the way it works, the 32x is fed raw RGB from the host Genny in all circumstances, and it's encoded into composite video by the 32x's internal TV encoder. All 32xes have the "good" encoder, so on many Genesissies, the installation of a 32x greatly improves image quality for ALL compatible** software.

**Which means this doesn't work for Genesis Virtua Racing(the 32x version is better anyways, geez!), and Master System software(this is more problematic, but... buy a Master System. It'll look sexy as hell on your shelf. Everything else works through a 32x just fine... except maybe the Game Genie. Not sure on that one, you dirty cheater. Basically, it's a non-issue in the modern era.

ANYWAYS! It's a neat thing, and I do like that they're considering the different output behaviors of the different systems.

(Is the Super Nintendo one dual-mode? Because my understanding is there's two very different behaviors for SNES RGB)

this is better than trying to find gamecube component cables under 50 bucks :unsure:

Guest davidwhangchoi

Ah, but... read the FAQ. This doesn't cover GameCube (right now).

There's no RGB on a US 'Cube, so Super Nintendo cables don't work. And they haven't reverse-engineered the digital AV port (yet).

And my GC doesn't have a DAV port( :( )

yeah, unfortunately it doesn't... i just looked on ebay and they're selling for 190 bucks average on those gamecube components :blink:

Edited by davidwhangchoi

yeah, unfortunately it doesn't... i just looked on ebay and they're selling for 190 bucks average on those gamecube components :blink:

Ugh.

Man, Nintendo dropped the ball on that one. It's a rare thing for me to say, but Sony did it right with the PS2. Overload the RGB pins, with an option to toggle between component and RGB mode.

Ah well. Can use a Wii for component out on GC games. Works for everything but the GameBoy Player, as far as I know.

Guest davidwhangchoi

Ugh.

Man, Nintendo dropped the ball on that one. It's a rare thing for me to say, but Sony did it right with the PS2. Overload the RGB pins, with an option to toggle between component and RGB mode.

Ah well. Can use a Wii for component out on GC games. Works for everything but the GameBoy Player, as far as I know.

yeah that's my setup now, with a wavebird. i do have a gameboy player (with disc) that i found at gamestop for 5 bucks. been meaning to try it out with components. lol

I really miss using my Guncon on games like Time Crisis and Point Blank. That was best light gun accessory ever. It's the only reason why I still hang on to one of my CRT TVs. AFIK, there's no solution on how to use it with my flat screen.

Sadly, GunCon 1 is fundamentally incompatible with non-CRT displays. To my understanding, it actually watches for the flare as the electron beam refreshes the display, and uses that to determines shot location. No beam scan = no flare = shot offscren.

• 1 month later...
Guest davidwhangchoi

wow, i never knew pc engine had a great take on the nes classic gradius (maybe i read about it but didn't really see it play)

watched this for the first time:

Edited by davidwhangchoi