• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest davidwhangchoi
i stopped by a retro store today, called Digital Press in Clifton, NJ

here's my haul

SVZ4ZY6l.jpg

most excited is the game in the middle:

it was 7.99. they had a buy 2 get one free on ps2 games so i just picked up FFXII and onimusha 3 for the hell of it.

bVwsJxol.jpg

man, i always wanted to play FM5 so bad but never got around to it. there's a fan translation but a copy of a blk label JYP disc is needed. (the greatest hit doesn't work w/ the fan translation) thankfully they had a copy of both the greatest hits and black label so i was able to double check the serial numbers on the discs since JYP's greatest hits disc look identical on the actual disc inside. (i wanted to make sure someone didn't sell them a greatest hits disc in the blk level case) they were really cool in letting me open them up.

3mvmxUEl.jpg

Latest attempt to resurrect a British retro-gaming legend (in UK circles, the Sinclair ZX Spectrum is talked about in much the same manner as the NES is in the US). The company behind this released something called the "ZX Spectrum Vega" about a year ago which didn't exactly get overly brilliant reviews, but... its a Handheld Speccy!

Edited by F-ZeroOne

Guest davidwhangchoi

Any info on release? I'd love to give these to my buddy who has an arcade.

no further announcements yet:

here's a little bit of info on the WF displays:

http://gaming.moe/?p=1397

Get ready to live, brah!

i just starting playing FM5 last night. it really looks great. such an upgrade over FM4 (which i liked btw), in the graphics dept,

this is such an underrated series that never caught on in the west...=( i hope more plp give this a shot

Edited by davidwhangchoi

Latest attempt to resurrect a British retro-gaming legend (in UK circles, the Sinclair ZX Spectrum is talked about in much the same manner as the NES is in the US). The company behind this released something called the "ZX Spectrum Vega" about a year ago which didn't exactly get overly brilliant reviews, but... its a Handheld Speccy!

When will Clive Sinclair stop unleashing these horrors upon an unsuspecting populace?! WHEN WILL THE SUFFERING END?!?!?!?!

I have a... dim view... of the Spectrum.

i just starting playing FM5 last night. it really looks great. such an upgrade over FM4 (which i liked btw), in the graphics dept,

this is such an underrated series that never caught on in the west...=( i hope more plp give this a shot

I you liked FM4, you'll love FM5. There was a scant rumor of a new FM in the works, but I reckon any new FM will be in the fashion of FM Evolved... :mellow:

Guest davidwhangchoi

I you liked FM4, you'll love FM5. There was a scant rumor of a new FM in the works, but I reckon any new FM will be in the fashion of FM Evolved... :mellow:

man i hated Evolved... i heard the final person on the front mission team was trying to hold things together since everyone from the original team left. but management was being a jerk so he finally left after the game bombed.

edite: here's quote from one of the guys that translated Front Mission 5

WaltherFeng posted:

It should be noted that every single developer responsible for Front Mission series left Square Enix before Evolved, so there's at least comfort in knowing that the original creators ended their franchise on a high note.

That's not technically true. Shinji Hashimoto, Tsuchida's right hand man, was left over and tried to salvage Evolved but it was a losing battle fighting against the stupidity of management. He left after Evolved's total failure. I believe Tsuchida left after finishing his work on FFXIII's battle system. Some of the other PDD6 crew went to From Software and worked on Armored Core V, which borrowed most of its design ideas from Front Mission Online.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3704920

i don't know how a new one would turn out.

since i've been playing 5, i re-ordered front mission 4 from amazon warehouse for 5 bucks shipped, i hope it's in decent condition. all the gamestops around me long longer carry ps2 games, previous easy to find games are now becoming hard to get access to.

Edited by davidwhangchoi

Guest davidwhangchoi
just got back from a retro store and grabbed these after talking about eswat on here a while back =)

esOpeKZl.jpg

Z48AXYYl.jpg?

U0n6lNwl.jpg

w0QwFqJl.jpg

nice to see the promo posters intact in the cases =) the cases and labels looked really clean.

Dynamite Duke was a game i loved in the arcades. i don't believe i played it on the genesis yet. pretty excited =)

Just out of interest, any particular reason? It obviously had its limitations but then so did the NES...

Because I'm American and we had real computers instead of cereal toys!

(It must be remembered that in the US, Commodore rapidly adjusted the price of the VIC-20 and C64 to target the same range as the Spectrum would have. And they were MUCH nicer machines.)

Seriously, though... there's hardware with limitations, and then there's the Spectrum. I understand it was cheap, and Sinclair didn't intend it to be a game machine, but... that thing ain't even competitive with the original Atari as a games platform.

Looking at things, the modified Timex-Sinclair version the US briefly got is ALMOST tolerable(they added a real sound chip and greatly enhanced the color resolution). But you could get a better computer for a better price thanks to Commodore's aggressive pricing, and the market-wide price war they triggered.

I feel truly sorry for all the europeans that had to suffer with the thing long enough that they have nostalgia for it, though. :p

Because I'm American and we had real computers instead of cereal toys!

(It must be remembered that in the US, Commodore rapidly adjusted the price of the VIC-20 and C64 to target the same range as the Spectrum would have. And they were MUCH nicer machines.)

Seriously, though... there's hardware with limitations, and then there's the Spectrum. I understand it was cheap, and Sinclair didn't intend it to be a game machine, but... that thing ain't even competitive with the original Atari as a games platform.

Looking at things, the modified Timex-Sinclair version the US briefly got is ALMOST tolerable(they added a real sound chip and greatly enhanced the color resolution). But you could get a better computer for a better price thanks to Commodore's aggressive pricing, and the market-wide price war they triggered.

I feel truly sorry for all the europeans that had to suffer with the thing long enough that they have nostalgia for it, though. :p

Ah, I think I see the problem - you Americans and your "must have best of everything". :lol: We plucky Brits have always had a thing for the underdog; given the choice between a full size keyboard, disk drive, fully realised colour graphics and a kick-arse sound chip - well, we would always opt for a squishy keyboard, "colour clash", and sound like a sponge being put through a meat grinder backwards... :)

Having said that, your comments have made me think that the "only two 80s computers" thing is sometimes a bit overplayed. Thinking back to the time I had a Spectrum, in the same timeframe I also encountered a ViC-20 (I had one!), Ti-99, a Commodore +4, MSX, a Dragon 32 and BBC Micros; and that was just within my immediate circle of family and friends...

Edited by F-ZeroOne

Guest davidwhangchoi
i've been on a tear recently w retro games:

3 came in the mail today:

since megaman amiibo bundle is coming out with renewed interest

i picked these up sealed for 11 buck each shipped and FM4 for 5 bucks shipped used from amazon warehouse. pretty clean shape, i tried to take off the used sticker in the back but failed. i'll get it out another time =)

vitqqtXl.jpg

0GhaHRml.jpg

jmo3bSLl.jpg

You're in for a treat, David. The Mega Man X collection is a little spartan, but it's nice to have X-X6 is one place. The Mega Man Anniversary Collection, though, is still the best Mega Man collection to date. I have a PS2 hooked up to an old CRT TV in my basement and I play it when I'm feeling particularly stressed.

Guest davidwhangchoi

You're in for a treat, David. The Mega Man X collection is a little spartan, but it's nice to have X-X6 is one place. The Mega Man Anniversary Collection, though, is still the best Mega Man collection to date. I have a PS2 hooked up to an old CRT TV in my basement and I play it when I'm feeling particularly stressed.

that's awesome you still have your CRT, i had to go re-buy one of those pro tv station studio CRT's. thanks for the heads up on the collections. i really want to play 4x again. and some of the nes megaman's i missed.

Ah, I think I see the problem - you Americans and your "must have best of everything". :lol: We plucky Brits have always had a thing for the underdog; given the choice between a full size keyboard, disk drive, fully realised colour graphics and a kick-arse sound chip - well, we would always opt for a squishy keyboard, "colour clash", and sound like a sponge being put through a meat grinder backwards... :)

Well, patriotism probably factored into it, too. Why would we buy an inferior British product when we could get a REAL AMERICAN machine for less? :p

Having said that, your comments have made me think that the "only two 80s computers" thing is sometimes a bit overplayed. Thinking back to the time I had a Spectrum, in the same timeframe I also encountered a ViC-20 (I had one!), Ti-99, a Commodore +4, MSX, a Dragon 32 and BBC Micros; and that was just within my immediate circle of family and friends...

I grew up on a 99/4a. I've picked up an Atari 800XL since then, and messed with a few C64s.

There was a lot in the market, it's just mostly has-beens and also-rans. Easily forgotten, especially in favor of the Apple VS Microsoft narrative people like to paint.

that's awesome you still have your CRT, i had to go re-buy one of those pro tv station studio CRT's. thanks for the heads up on the collections. i really want to play 4x again. and some of the nes megaman's i missed.

Yeah, the thing's an ancient 20" black Friday special I picked up for my then-girlfriend's dorm at college. RF or (mono) composite jacks only. That TV's managed to stick with us when we moved into our first apartment, even as the better CRT we had in our living room got dumped for a DLP TV. We moved from the apartment into a house, got a LED for one bedroom and an LCD for the other, and trashed the DLP in favor of a larger LED in the living room, but this little crappy CRT TV stayed. Considering that the girlfriend I bought it for has been my wife for nearly 14 years now, I'd have to say that the TV's gotta be 16 or 17.

Guest davidwhangchoi
Yusssss! i got my wires today! here's my new retro set up (on my gunpla table =D)

i'm pretty excited so i'm going to share a bunch of full sized pics below:

Sony BVM-20G1U

hjK8BaC.jpg

9GqT2W7l.jpg

5rhHqkCl.jpg

RBi0xJql.jpg

Zuuginel.jpg'

Gst47Aw.jpg

chris redfield looks ready!

Edited by davidwhangchoi