On 11/2/2017 at 3:52 AM, JB0 said:

How is that possible? I thought Genesis did what Nintendon't, and they would be fundamentally incompatible! My mind is blown!

They just install a more powerful emulator on the NES linux core. I was wondering about how useful this is, since the NES controllers only sport 2 buttons, and the Genesis games use 3

17 hours ago, Convectuoso said:

They just install a more powerful emulator on the NES linux core. I was wondering about how useful this is, since the NES controllers only sport 2 buttons, and the Genesis games use 3

But Nintendo doesn't have Blast Processing! It should be fundamentally incompatible!

No, seriously, I was just having a laugh at the idea of a Nintendo running Sega games. Made the same crack at the Wii's Virtual Console, and at Sonic on the Gameboy Advance.

Also, the NES and Genesis controllers both have four buttons. They are just better arranged on a Genesis pad. But they are probably using a Wii Classic Controller.

18 hours ago, Convectuoso said:

http://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/17341/p/866/session/L3RpbWUvMTQ4Njk2OTM2OS9zaWQvZlVZMVR1T0ROMGl6ZElMTjFnNXlHaEp1MExtWUJTSVZ6R1RJT3dieEFrQXVWRGJaRUMxRU5maUNZYldEbWJMVWZIbng5c1RhQVhzWFZMYWdnazdLYkYySERMT1oycE5NZ0VXZHFia3A1YVhGdTVWR29WcTZNRk5nJTIxJTIx

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Black Valkyrie said:

The 64 

*looks at link*

A C64 clone?  That's a reasonable enough goal. I think most of the C64 parts already have FPGA clones available, so it shouldn't be hard to put them all together into a single ASIC and ship a one-chip C64 that has perfect compatibility and no lag and is really a C64 instead of a lazy-  " At the core of THE 64 is a low cost, high power ARM Cortex SoC, which provides all the modern interfaces demanded by today’s consumers. "

Never mind, it's a lazy emulator in a novelty case.  Shameless cashgrab.

"This has clear advantages for the consumer. Creating a software/hardware hybrid machine ..." Gonna stop you right there. This isn't a hybrid of anything, it is an emulator plain and simple. It has no advantage to the end user unless the end user doesn't CARE, in which case they can download VICE or something and get EXACTLY the same experience. 

*deep breath*

Sorry about that.   I am just sick of people churning out lazy ARM processors with half-baked emulation because they can't even be bothered to download a good emulator, and then pretending they're god's gift to classic PC/gaming enthusiasts.  Yes, making an FPGA clone is more work, but it is WORTH it to get no lag, no glitches, accurate presentation, and full compatibility.  

I'm over it now, though. Unless they say something truly outrageous like how the C64 was the fir-  " THE 64 ™  is an exciting and respectful re-imagining of the original home computer, the Commodore C64 "

*screams until he bursts a blood vessel somewhere*

Screw you, Random Indiegogo Scammer! Aside from the blatant disrespect shown by making a lazy ARM shitbox instead of something that required a minimal amount of actual effort, the Commodore 64 wasn't even the first COMMODORE home computer(never mind that the VIC-20 and PET both sucked). To say nothing of the Apple II, Atari 800, TRS-80, and TI 99/4. (And th Sinclairs, I guess. Though they weren't much good as more than doorstops.)

Okay, really done now. Promise. Closed the page and everything.

This probably isn't a scam, but it's still lazy garbage. I hope they at least steal a good emulator and buy a cellphone processor up to the task.

Oh, the new AtGames unit is close to shipping? Good news! Rest in pieces, Firecore!

This is, obviously, also an ARM-in-a-box, but AtGames has never pretended to be heroes while begging for tens of thousands of dollars to install an emulator on a smartphone.

In fact, we knew this was coming because AtGames announced before the MiNES was a thing that they were making an ARM box with an emulator so they could get A. save states, and B. the Firecore albatross off their back. I still don't understand how the Firecore chip turned out as bad as it did, but now it is dead.

My guess is that Nintendo is discontinuing it due to the system's Third Party licenses. I doubt that Capcom, Konami, et al. could've foreseen the Classic Edition's wild demand. So I wouldn't be surprised if they increased their licensing fees in response to this demand. Rather than allow all of these increased fees to cut into, or even wipe out, their net profits, Nintendo discontinued the system. I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo releases a Classic Edition 2.0 later this year that's almost entirely First Party titles and maybe one or two Third Party titles at best.

Now THIS is how you do a retro-gaming nostalgia product!

No ARM processors, no emulation, no "HDMI, USB, SD only" nonsense. An FPGA programmed to be a perfect recreation of the original hardware(plus some interesting upgrades). Full hardware and software compatibility, original IO is present alongside an SD reader and HDMI output, a new case designed by one of the original designers... it is almost the perfect project. There is only one problem: It's a friggin' Sinclair Spectrum, AKA the worst computer to ever see mass-market success.

For those interested in a computer that sucks significantly fewer balls...  http://wiki.icomp.de/wiki/Chameleon

An FPGA device in a Commodore 64 cartridge. Connect it to a C64 and get all kinds of cool expansion capabilities. Or disconnect it from a C64 and... it reconfigures itself to behave as a C64. A C64 the size of a deck of cards. And yes, you can plug your old C64 floppy drive into it, or anything else that goes into the IEC bus(for obvious reasons, the cartridge doesn't have a cartridge slot).

Edited by JB0