Captain America: First Avenger

EXO

I really liked the movie. The only thing that I disliked was the over-technology. I can deal with the portable submarines and even the flying fortress thing... but the blue laser-blast energy weapons.... I mean, really? For a movie that was supposed to be during WW2, Hydra was more technologically advanced than anything we have almost a century later.

I was waiting for Red Skull to yell

at some point....

but you're okay with a magical serum that doesn't just act like a super steroid but a DNA altering properties that can completely rebuild a body in seconds?

Personally, being able to bottle up "energy" in fancy batteries is a lot more believable.

Y'know, it always bugs me how people focus on the serum as some sort of steroid and leave out the all-important vita-rays that catalyze the transformation. :angry:

;)

I think this has been my favourite super-hero film of the season. It just seemed to gel really well to me. It had enough of everything I was looking for... character, story, action (well, maybe a little more of that might've been nice). In general, I thorougly enjoyed it from start to finish.

I especially appreciated Chris Evans' portrayal. I honestly do get a little bugged at a lot of the reviews I've read that praise his performance as going beyond a "bland, flag-waving patriot" they all assume Cap is in the comics... which just goes to show none of them actually know the character they're sideways slamming. Unsurprising, but annoying. In any case, the Steve of the movie well represents the character as he is today, and I thought that was cool.

Yes, I am a comic geek. Let's move along.

As for Evans, it might be a bit of a vindication for him. All I heard before the film were derivations on "isn't he too comic for this", to which all I could think was "did nobody else see Danny Boyle's Sunshine?" (Given it was well-reviewed but not a big money-maker, guess I am in the minority.) Not that I'm a huge Chris Evans fan, but I never doubted he could pull of a serious role.

Edited by Penguin

I saw sunshine and had faith you would do just well. Chris is a good actor who just takes a lot bad roles at times, though to be fair he was the best thing about FF as his Johnny Storm was perfect and spot on. Chris seems to understand his comic characters more than more actors especially seeing as how he has done more comic movies than anyone else

Just saw it, loved it. Howard Stark was great, Tommy Lee Jones was awesome, and Chris Evans made a wonderful Captain America. I really liked how they didn't spend 30 min on explaining the Asgard tech, because it was already explained in Thor.

I sometimes wonder if anyone around here read/reads the comics for any of these movies, at all, ever.

:rolleyes:

Oh hell no. Comics are badly drawn and throw away any sense of canon like it's going out of style. Art aside, if they actually stuck to one, maybe two versions of the same story, and then let it end forever/kept characters dead/made new ones & freakin' moved on, that'd be another thing. But when there are 6 dozen different takes on superman/spiderman/batman/every super hero under the sun, they lose all credability in my book.

Oh hell no. Comics are badly drawn and throw away any sense of canon like it's going out of style. Art aside, if they actually stuck to one, maybe two versions of the same story, and then let it end forever/kept characters dead/made new ones & freakin' moved on, that'd be another thing. But when there are 6 dozen different takes on superman/spiderman/batman/every super hero under the sun, they lose all credability in my book.

That's absolutely right. Problems with continuity, canon, reboots and retcons are effectively killing comics, especially for casual readers.

Just read this little article about reboots and retcons and their impact on DC.

That's absolutely right. Problems with continuity, canon, reboots and retcons are effectively killing comics, especially for casual readers.

Just read this little article about reboots and retcons and their impact on DC.

The thing is DC has always essentially attempted to have one all-encompassing universe which has never worked out well for them. Marvel has made no qualms about saying this can be in one universe, this can be in another one, we reserve the right to choose and you reserve the right to enjoy the portions of it you want to. Technically reboots are done so new readers don't have to get the back-story on eighty years of character development/plot.

It looks like Hollywood is going to catch up. Quite a few reboots on the horizon. That said, you're totally right. How many different comic versions of Batman have there been? The answer could be 20 or 50

There is one prime storyline for most characters and universes whether it be DC or Marvel. That being said, DC is resetting the entire universe and every comic line they're keeping in September.

I'm sure Marvel has something in the rafters waiting to see how DCs reset goes.

There is one prime storyline for most characters and universes whether it be DC or Marvel. That being said, DC is resetting the entire universe and every comic line they're keeping in September.

I'm sure Marvel has something in the rafters waiting to see how DCs reset goes.

Well, as it relates to the movies, DC is keeping all their movies separate. No shared universe, so even if a JLA movie gets made, it won't be Nolan's batman or Ryan Reynold's GL. Different actors, different continuities. JLA will be one movie-verse and each of the stand alone franchises will be unique to each other and JLA.

Saw it last Friday. Fairly enjoyable, even with the ridiculous Hollywood elements added in (M1919 .30 cal machinegun being used like a more modern Squad Automatic Weapon). The spot-on accuracy of the War propaganda was cringe worthy but I always believe whitewashing history does a disservice to people.

Where the hell have you been?

Was this film better than Southern Cross?

IIRC, the .30 cal was used a few times in WWII like a SAW. I think they wrapped a web belt around the barrel shroud for a grip. It wasn't that common, but I believe this was done in the pacific theater by the Marines--though my memory is hazy. If only I could remember my source...

I just saw the movie. It was awesome - and a lot of fun. You know, sometimes that's all I need from a movie!

As a Luftwaffe buff it was also interesting to see some of the prototype designs at the end of the war actually make it onscreen, like that crazy rocket-propelled helicopter hybrid, and the back-prop driven air-launched aircraft. They were 'real' designs, that the desperate German engineers put forward, crazy to think of it!

• 2 weeks later...

I finally was able to get out see this and I loved it! I just wanted to make a couple of observations.

1. Like many of you I don't think bucky's dead. Its obvious that he unlike the other prisoners was being experimented on by the german doctor. Maybe another super serum candidate that was bombed by vita rays so he's not all buffed out? I think its very likely he'll come back as the winter soldier after being rescued by the soviets.

2.Anybody else think Peggy Carter is the grand ma of black widow? I think the movies might have merged agent 13's origin with black widow's. I couldn't help but think how much she reminded of her through out the film

EDIT: I laughed my butt off at the red skull's reference to raider's of the lost ark at the begining of the movie.

Edited by renegadeleader1

LOVED it, that was a phenomenal film. JUST under Thor and Iron Man, but above Inc Hulk and IM2. Evans was great, they managed to not have "AMERICA" shoved down your throat, and the action was awesome. SLIGHTLY under Thor because I thought the combat scenes in Thor were a little better. Caps were cool, but I felt like there wasnt enough of them.

Anyway great flick, lets have more!

As a Luftwaffe buff it was also interesting to see some of the prototype designs at the end of the war actually make it onscreen, like that crazy rocket-propelled helicopter hybrid, and the back-prop driven air-launched aircraft. They were 'real' designs, that the desperate German engineers put forward, crazy to think of it!

I thought the Nazi superscience was way over the top... until I started reading up on some of the stuff that got proposed (and built!) like the Ho229 and it's bigger brother, the Ho18. I guess this was another case of reality is unrealisitc (ack! TVTropes reference! must... stay... away...).

Along those same lines, I thought that watching the Mooks struggle with the sarcophagus coverstone and then the Red Skull easily shoving it open was over-the-top rediculous... until I realized (much later) that this was first proof that he'd taken the Super Soldier serum. *smacks hand* Bad Cory!

I thought the Nazi superscience was way over the top... until I started reading up on some of the stuff that got proposed (and built!) like the Ho229 and it's bigger brother, the Ho18. I guess this was another case of reality is unrealisitc (ack! TVTropes reference! must... stay... away...).

I thought of "Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from science!".

The only reason why these prototypes worked was the Cosmic Cube. Which in the comics warps reality. Remember in Thor Asgardian magic and science is one and the same.

So those Hydra weapons and vehicles are MagiTech.

Though I think the Cosmic Cube, Casket of Ancient Winters and the new element heart of the Arc reactor is made of the same element base but different hardware.

In the Marvel comics many alien civilizations besides Earth created a Cosmic Cube.

• 4 months later...