This is my next project: a vintage 1991 NG 1/144 Gundam GP01. Even by 1991 standards, this Gunpla is crap (only the GP02A from this era is worse). Just like most Gunpla kits from the 1980s and early 1990s, this is easy to assemble, but painting is absolutely necessary. Articulation is decent, but be very careful with those peg joints - the right knee on my old GP02A snapped off after 20 years in storage. The upside is that it only cost me less than US$10. It gives me an opportunity to practice my painting and masking skills, and it makes a great comparison piece to the HGUC and RG versions.

Here's HGUC GP01's reaction when I came home with the box.

oldgp0101_zpsanh7zjfp.jpg

oldgp0102_zpsw9zgnxbl.jpg

oldgp0103_zpsw5blgyxj.jpg

oldgp0104_zpswcl8vzjq.jpg

oldgp0105_zpsh9mjbpmo.jpg

If not there, maybe Mandarake or Yahoo Japan auctions. (There's another place that gets thrown around a lot, but I can't remember it.) Those are Japanese-language sites, though, so I imagine you'd have to do the bidding through a proxy service.

Otherwise, Bandai re-issues their old kits once in a blue moon, meaning the usual Amiami/HLJ/Hobby Search routes are also available. HLJ has them listed as backordered.

http://www.hlj.com/product/BAN27309/Gun

http://www.hlj.com/product/BAN27969/Gun

Building this old kit brings me back to when I previously assembled it over 20 years ago. Yes, it sucks by today's standards (even by 1991 standards, as the Char's Counterattack and Gundam 0080 lines offered more colored parts), but it lets you appreciate how far Bandai's gone to evolving their Gunpla line.

I haven't pre-painted parts of this magnitude in a long time. For the shield, I masked the center areas; I'll do some further cleanup later on. For the foot parts, I panel lined the borders before painting the lower portions red.

oldgp0106_zpsk7lcwj5w.jpg

oldgp0107_zpspywplnl8.jpg

And here's the assembled product before undergoing any further touchups.

oldgp0108_zpslyydeypr.jpg

As the provided sticker sheet is pathetic, I used a waterslide decal of the "01" from the MG Gundam 0083 sheet (Gundam Decal #24).

oldgp0109_zpst1qvvgat.jpg

And here it side-by-side with the HGUC version. I'd also include the RG version, but that's simply unfair. Besides, it's not done being stickered.

oldgp0110_zpskr0xufel.jpg

In short, unless you're really into vintage Gunpla kits or you're a big fan of the GP01, don't bother with this one. Get the HGUC or RG version instead.

Aah, the old days of modding no grade kits Hobby Japan style when we had nothing better to do...

Here's the old 1/144 Shiki, I must have added a whole centimeter in height. The feet were re-cast from the S-Gundam. Unfortunately, I chose a cheap looking acrylic gold for the paint job, that finally kept me from finishing it.

23897600893_a9371fca44_z.jpg

I also found another pic of my old Zetaplus with the Hummingbird scheme:

24498219286_0327136bd7_z.jpg

I still have no love for seed, won't touch it ever again.

I did however begin work on my version of the origin RX-78-2. I love the little Amuro figure, my paint job on him turned out fantastic so very thrilled. However I feel like the inner frame on this thing was way to simplistic and that in itself was very disappointing in comparison to the 2.0 and 3.0. I'd call this frame aver 1.8.

I'll be holding off the remainder of the build until tomorrow night when I meet up with my gundam buddies at our monthly meet up. Next month we get to finally hold our meetings at a Hobbytown :D they've been wanting to get us for a while to come over and finally lured us with a display case for some of our kits and special discounts.

This is my next project: a vintage 1991 NG 1/144 Gundam GP01.

Man, I built that same kit! It was one of four I built during what I think of as my second era of Gunpla (my first era being a few Wing kits that were actually available at places like Walmart and TRU when Wing was popular on Cartoon Network). It was that NG GP01, some HG RX-78 (but I'm not sure which one), an HG Nu Gundam, and an HG Zaku I Black Tri-Stars. Of them, I repainted the RX-78 into the RX-78-1, and I lost some of the extra accessories for all of them, but the Gundam, Nu, and Zaku are still with me and in my Detolfs with all the Gunpla I've built in my current third era of Gunpla. That GP01, though (which turned out WAAAAAAY crappier than yours), I tossed after I built the RG version.

I still have no love for seed, won't touch it ever again.

As much as I truly loathe SEED, and as much as I might prefer the mobile suits in just about any other series (especially UC!), I'd be lying if I said that I wasn't tempted by the Revive Freedom. Freedom is my favorite MS from SEED, and one of the few I from the series I genuinely like, and while I have the RG it's way too fiddly. The nice thing about the Revive kits is that they're pretty solid and poseable when they're built, like a half model, half action figure. It'd be nice to have a Freedom I can play with.

An MG 2.0, though, and I'll pass. The kit looks nice, but it'd be out of scale with all my 1/144 kits.

(OT, but as much as I love Freedom I hate Strike Freedom. The gold frame is tacky, the smaller hip rail lack the visual distinctiveness of the larger ones on Freedom, and the DRAGOONs might be more firepower but they're just not as cool as Freedom's Hi-MAT wings and shoulder cannons. Pretty much the only thing on Strike Freedom that I do like is the beam gun in its abdomen.)

I've never been able to get behind the latter Seed designs. In fact, I can't tell the Freedom and Strike Freedom apart unless there's something explicitly naming them. The Strike and maybe the Zaku redesign are probably the only ones I have any measure of appreciation for. (Stargazer, though... Woosh. That thing is too gorgeous.)

My problem with the HGUC GP01 is that it looks too... blocky? It and the RG have a heavy Katoki look to them, which by itself isn't a bad thing, but the 1991 kit has a few more of the sexy curves of the animation and line art. You don't really realize how much the GP01 has changed (I'd wager even more so than the original RX-78) until you see stuff like this: http://www.e2046.com/product/RX-78GP01/10593/

b0c140352caef6f51ef60062c9befac3_4.jpg

Edited by kajnrig

I'm fine with modernizing classic anime designs as long as they're completely recognizable. Just look at the VF-1 Valkyrie. There's no way we can have a fully transformable Valk that's accurate to Kawamori's original line art, yet we're all happy with the recent Bandai/Yamato/Arcadia/Hasegawa redesigns. Perhaps when the GP01 gets the HGUC Revive treatment this year or the next, Bandai might incorporate the curves of Kawamori's original design (unlike that resin kit above, which went way overboard on the proportions).

I'm fine with modernizing classic anime designs as long as they're completely recognizable. Just look at the VF-1 Valkyrie. There's no way we can have a fully transformable Valk that's accurate to Kawamori's original line art, yet we're all happy with the recent Bandai/Yamato/Arcadia/Hasegawa redesigns. Perhaps when the GP01 gets the HGUC Revive treatment this year or the next, Bandai might incorporate the curves of Kawamori's original design (unlike that resin kit above, which went way overboard on the proportions).

The various VF-1 redesigns haven't been nearly as drastic as this (or the RX-78), though. About the most that's happened to the VF-1 has been very slight proportion tweaks to emphasize one mode of the three or strike a balance. The angles of the arm, for instance, haven't been smoothed into curves, nor the elbows had kibble thrown on to add flair to the design. The shoulder armor looks uniform across all renditions. All in all, the VF-1 has had very little done to its design (owing largely, I'd imagine, to the transformation gimmick and the need to satisfy three separate looks).

That said, I get your meaning. I just want my sexy GP01 back. (The resin kit does itself make a fair share of concessions to the design, but I cited it because it emphasized what I meant about curves and whatnot.)

Not digging the newer Barbatos designs much. I was enamored with it from the get-go, and while I was fine with the initial tweaks before it received its "de facto" design, the newer, more drastic revisions will take some getting used to. Not much to say about the rest of the IBO reveals - they're fine - but when's my 1/100 Hyakuri/ren? (Also I'm warming up a lot to that Efreet. Was apathetic before, but starting to feel the burn.)

Guest davidwhangchoi

progress log:

ok, finished one section and stopping for tonight:

zswB3xml.jpg

XqiceP7l.jpg

What pen are you using to panel line?

i'm using this 0.3 pencil

9gq94tn.jpg

Edited by davidwhangchoi