I'm more disappointed that the RX-93 ν Gundam still doesn't have a PG or RG kit.

I already have a reputation for being a bit of a UC purist, so if I complained every time an AU RG Gundam kit got made (which I kinda sorta already do) instead of an RG Dom, Gouf, GP-02, Alex, Hyaku Shiki, ZZ Gundam, Nu Gundam, F-91, Quebeley, Zaku III, Marasai, Hi-Zack, etc it wouldn't really help my case.

Oh yeah, does Bandai hate the Baund Doc? We haven't gotten a decent Gunpla of it - not HGUC, RG, or MG.

the question isn't does Bandai hate the Baund Doc, it's 'does ANYONE actually like the Baund Doc?' And the answer to that is no. :p

also, in what crazy parallel universe do the Marusai and Hi-Zack ever deserve RGs?

Edited by anime52k8

News floating around the Hi-Reso Barbatos.

• Pre-assembled Inner Frame (think: Kotobukiya Frame Arms)
  • Metal parts, for pistons etc
  • All armour parts are 'painted' with metallic / pearl finishing

Looks like it would probably have a hefty retail price if true :huh:

Edited by joppewo

It is still a model-kit.

The runners and all are displayed with the assembled model.

The metal parts seem to be just limited to the pistons, so not quite the metal content of an MB.

Hi-resolution probably just refers to the kit looking great with a straight out-of-box build :p

It is still a model-kit.

The runners and all are displayed with the assembled model.

The metal parts seem to be just limited to the pistons, so not quite the metal content of an MB.

Hi-resolution probably just refers to the kit looking great with a straight out-of-box build :p

What I meant is that it is more like building a Gundam toy vs. building a Gunpla kit. While building a kit you need to cut out every piece from the runner. Due to the way a kit as to be constructed for the snap together approach it can't have a complex assembly (such as pushing in pins, gluing pieces together etc.).

With this you get a solid pre build frame that can be much more sturdy than the frame of a Gunpla kit similar to a Gundam toy. With the extra parts you can armor it up. Similar to the MB Exia where you can switch all the armor panels to represent different versions of the suit.

In my mind this kit tries to capture the magic of putting the armor on a toy knight before a battle in the kid's room. ^_^

also, in what crazy parallel universe do the Marusai and Hi-Zack ever deserve RGs?

Funny, I'd say the same about the Red Frame. At least Marasai and Hi-Zack were actually in the frikkin' anime.

In any case, I'll take RGs of ALL the Zaku variants. Zaku I, R1, R2, Action Zaku, Hi-Zack (Titans style and Feddie style), Zaku II Kai (preferably with the B-type head), Zaku Cannon, Zaku III (Mashmyre type, but most especially the regular white gray one)...

Funny, I'd say the same about the Red Frame. At least Marasai and Hi-Zack were actually in the frikkin' anime.

In any case, I'll take RGs of ALL the Zaku variants. Zaku I, R1, R2, Action Zaku, Hi-Zack (Titans style and Feddie style), Zaku II Kai (preferably with the B-type head), Zaku Cannon, Zaku III (Mashmyre type, but most especially the regular white gray one)...

Don't forget the Zaku Tank and Zaku Flipper.

The local hobby store from work called me up friday just as I'm leaving telling me they had a huge restock, biggest they ever had at the store and I should come down and look around it'd be worth my time.
So I swung by and sure enough they had a HUGE gunpla restock of even kits they've never carried before. Roamed around, saw my third PG Banshee in a row which is interesting they'd get one....think they did it cause I made a discussion on how interesting it is.

A few friends from my group build came by as well, we picked what we wanted and I'm pretty notorious for "Sniping" kits that people want so a few I passed up on. Either way I ended up walking away with ANOTHER Char origin Zaku II cause I'm gonna customize it for something neat, an Origins Guntank which I'm currently working on right now and it's looking AWESOME, and finally got an MG Epyon.....now my Wing Gunpla is complete.

Gents - I've read many, many pages of this epicly long thread and still am not sure about this question - for my very clever, very curious 7 year old son, who loves Lego and is very creative for his age, but otherwise has zero model building experience, where would you recommend I start with a Gundam kit?

I initially looked at an HG RX-78 kit but then saw the RG kits. And then noticed all the different options in the smaller scale and quickly got overwhelmed. There are also the Chibi kits that might be perfect to start off with.

Decisions, decisions...

Anyone else been in my shoes and have some advice?

Gents - I've read many, many pages of this epicly long thread and still am not sure about this question - for my very clever, very curious 7 year old son, who loves Lego and is very creative for his age, but otherwise has zero model building experience, where would you recommend I start with a Gundam kit?

I initially looked at an HG RX-78 kit but then saw the RG kits. And then noticed all the different options in the smaller scale and quickly got overwhelmed. There are also the Chibi kits that might be perfect to start off with.

Decisions, decisions...

Anyone else been in my shoes and have some advice?

I got my nephew the mega 1/48 RX-78-2 and Char's Zaku when he was 10 =) comes with a parts separator

Well, you know your son better than I do, obviously. But based on my experience with 7 year olds, I wouldn't recommend starting with RGs. Don't get me wrong, I love RGs for their excellent balance between cost and detail, but they have numerous, often tiny parts and nearly 100 decal stickers, on average. They require a little more skill and patience than any 7 year old I've met possesses.

The chibi SD kits are designed with kids in mind, so they should be a good place to start, although I don't have any experience with them. He might be able to do an HG. Modern HG, especially the newest Revive ones, look good without any paint, and they're not too difficult. It's mostly building parts around the joints, then fitting the parts together. The finished kits are very posable and less fiddly than RGs.

I've never built more than an HG kit. Are the RG kits really that much more work, other than being more complex?

Depends on what you mean by work. An RG usually takes me two days, and that's cutting the parts, fitting them together, applying the decals, and maybe panel lining. No paint.

HGs, on the other hand, always seem to need some degree of paint. Putting it together may only take a few hours, but depending on how much paint is needed it could be much less or much more work than an RG.

Take paint out of it, though, and yeah, RGs are more work. But they're generally worth it.

Guest davidwhangchoi

Depends on what you mean by work. An RG usually takes me two days,

not as good as mike, hikuro but an RG takes me forever, like 7-14 days at least. those decals sure can kill a man, not suitable for a 7 year old :)

Edited by davidwhangchoi

1/48!!!?

How big is that? The size of a small person? Sounds awesome!

EDIT: apparently about 37.5cm (15") tall. Not as big as I though but still large and in charge!

Here is a video showing how the 1/48 Megasize kits work:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdvMUgZGicM#t=10m25s

Maybe you can figure out if this will work for your kid.

Edited by Scyla