Well, it doesn't look as professional as most of the builds here, but at least it's unique:

post-659-0-24905300-1381469327_thumb.jpg

My slightly modified HGUC Messala.

The Napoleonic Violet I used for the head/chest and missile launchers isn't quite a match for the light purple plastic, but it's close enough for now.

It doesn't transform anymore, but that's really only because I glued those parts to avoid floppiness.

One more:

post-659-0-64841400-1381469318_thumb.jpg

Like I said, an amateur job, but I'm really happy to finally have a Messala that looks the business.

• 2 weeks later...

Brace yourself Winter is coming!

So now that the dim and dark season is right around the corner I though I should stash up some supplies before I can't leave the house because of all the snow.

So instead of spending countless hours of surfing the interwebs I decided to do something different.

You guessed it. Build some Gunpla.

So, I'm planning to build the MG 00 Raiser.

And I need some advice abound the finish.

Now I did some plamo as a teenager and spend years of building and painting miniatures for miniwargaming. I even did one ;) Gunpla kit before but then I get into a hiatus for several years.

I don't want to paint the kit completely just want to do some detail work with the Gundam Markers (shadows and panel lines). I want to clean the stress marks where the gates meet the parts and do panel lining on the frame and the armor plating (all of them). After that maybe finish it with a coat.

Now what markers do I need for that. Does the standard set with six markers match the white, blue, red. gray and yellow on the kit or do I need different colors. Also what kind of pens for panel lining should I use? And finally what kind of coat can you recommend?

Thanks in advance. :)

Now I did some plamo as a teenager and spend years of building and painting miniatures for miniwargaming. I even did one ;) Gunpla kit before but then I get into a hiatus for several years.

I don't want to paint the kit completely just want to do some detail work with the Gundam Markers (shadows and panel lines). I want to clean the stress marks where the gates meet the parts and do panel lining on the frame and the armor plating (all of them). After that maybe finish it with a coat.

Now what markers do I need for that. Does the standard set with six markers match the white, blue, red. gray and yellow on the kit or do I need different colors. Also what kind of pens for panel lining should I use? And finally what kind of coat can you recommend?

Thanks in advance. :)

Although the basic set should suffice, there is also a marker set specific to 00.

For panel-lining I use Gundam marker GM02 or a .5mm mechanical pencil.

Always always spray clear flat on your Gundam models. Makes them look 1000% better. I've used Testors' Dullcote, Tamiya's TS-80, Gunze's Mr. Hobby Top Coat. They all work just fine.

Thanks for the tips now I have to get them all to my place. Is it a problem to export them with hlj (safety regulations and stuff?). I'm sure they cannot ship the coating spray cans since they might explode. I have a local hobby shop that sells Tamiya products so it should be no problem buying it locally.

I don't find the 00 marker set on hlj so the basic ones will do it then.

Are there additional decals that would make the kit pop. I would love to use dry transfer decals because with water-slide or even stickers I either have to use additional stuff to clean the water slides or trim the stickers before applying them (the clear excess stuff around the actual decal). On the other had I said I want to keep this project small and simple so the included markings will suffice.

Hm now that I look at the kit I see it comes with one LED unit... I actually don't like the LED stuff but maybe I should buy additional LED units just for the laughs...

Maybe this will bring me back into real model building. ;)

Edited by Scyla

So, I just got a Gera Doga MG, but I can't find on the instructions what type of battery it needs.

Actually come to think of it, where's the LED terminal? I don't even see it and it doesn't even list where it is, and there was no baggy....

Edited by Hikuro

So, I just got a Gera Doga MG, but I can't find on the instructions what type of battery it needs.

Actually come to think of it, where's the LED terminal? I don't even see it and it doesn't even list where it is, and there was no baggy....

They take 2 LR41 watch batteries, as for the missing led you are probably expected to buy it separately. Here's a place to find some for sale. http://www.gundamplanet.com/gunpla-2-led-unit-set-red.html

aw really? you're suppose to buy those things? Well that's pretty poopy. I could of saved myself 20 bucks getting another kit without the gimmick needed. I'll have to wait until next week to even order the light. I'm guessing you'd even have to buy it on the RX-78-2 3.0?

So I placed a order for the Gundam 00 with hlj and they first said restock in October then in November not it says December.

I have no problem to wait for it but now I did some research on Master Grade Gunpla and with every day I think I should cancel the 00 and order a Nu Gundam Ver. Ka.

The reasons are the following.

The kit has almost no polycaps and I would love to have a Gundam that does not rely on those.

The Nu Gundam looks more like a classic Gundam design with a shield, the hyper bazooka and the beam sabers. I'm not sure if I like Gunpla building so shouldn't be the one Gundam I build something that looks like one. ;)

I like the black color better then the blue but I don't like yellow so I guess this is a draw between the Nu and the 00.

I really like the Sazabi design so if I like building it and wand to build more the with Chars mecha I would have a nice complete collection of a Gundam series no?

I'm curious to know what you think about that and if you have any advice.

Here's a link for a store with 00 in stock http://www.gundamplanet.com/mg-gn-0000-gnr-010-00-raiser.html . Nu Gundam is one of the all time best designs in the series IMO so I'm a little biased in saying screw 00. I don't have one myself so I have no opinions on the kit itself but there are a few vids on youtube about it. If you don't like the color scheme you can always repaint it.

I had the original MG 00 Gundam, I enjoyed it. the LED light could of been better though. It did well on the back of the GN Drive, but the front was suppose to have some light up ability itself but it was far to dim. Overall, it was a good kit. I'd build it again if I had the chance, maybe add some improvements into it.

I'm a fan of Gundam 00, best series to come out in a long long time. Made me forgive bandai for it's mess with Gundam SEED which was decent.

I LOVE the look of the Nu Gundam, but price wise it's a bit much for me right now. It's on my want list ever so badly, and it'll probably become my personal christmas present.

Sazabi, I had the original MG, I enjoyed it. I custom painted that sucker too, little duller of a Red, some Gunmetal on the exo, the kit came out FANTASTIC. I can't recall if I ended up trashing it or selling it due to some faulty problems with the kit itself. One of the arms couldn't stay connected to the torso, and the funnels' wings would always snap off.

Now this new Sazabi, I'm curious over.

Nu Gundam is my favourite, so I might be a bit biased, but I would also say the MG Ver.Ka would be a great choice if you haven't got one yet.

I don't have the MG 00, but as a comparison it is light years ahead of MG Unicorn Gundam.

Pros:

- Build-up is great

- Uses the LED light-up feature

- Evoke mode as an added feature

- Evoke mode doesn't distort proportions like NT-D mode on MG Unicorn

- Plenty of very good articulation, it can do a proper bend at its knees!!!

- New manipulators

Negative:

- Connectors for the fin funnels are a poor design

- Feet articulation could have more range

- A second custom beam saber + backholster would have been nice, they do it for the fin funnels. But this is just a very personal gripe of mine ^_^

By the way, has anybody ever bought a titanium variant MG before? Are they worth it?

Being a sucker for all things Nu, I am contemplating getting the titanium version for display and using the normal version for fiddling.

Edited by lechuck

And still no V2 Gundam... <_<

How complicated can it be Bandai!?

And really nobody with a MG titanium kit on these boards, that can help me decide?

I never got around to buying titanium kits but here is a review about a titanium mg gundam where rrobert talks about the titanium parts pros and cons.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCR-UOD1AyQ

Time for a blast from the past. In 1990, Bandai introduced the High Grade (HG) line to commemorate the 10th anniversary of Gundam model kits (known today as Gunpla). The lineup consisted of the first four main Gundams (RX-78-2 Gundam, RX-178 Gundam Mk-II, MSZ-006 Zeta Gundam, and MSZ-010 Double Zeta Gundam) remolded using the latest plastic technology at the time.

This Zeta Gundam was the very first Gundam kit I picked up back in 1993. It was a vast improvement over the first 1/144 Zeta released in 1985, incorporating polycaps, full transformation, and System Injection molding (where two colors were molded into one part). Unfortunately, the sculpt is inaccurate, as it's derived from the Zeta Plus C1 kit from 1987's Gundam Sentinel. It's also very fiddly to pose due to the sheer number of moving parts, and the head and torso need to be removed to transform it into Wave Rider mode. Still, it's an impressive kit, and I'm looking to spruce it up so it can fight another day. Hopefully, I'll pick up an RG Zeta this year to do a side-by-side comparison.

oldhgzeta01_zps00a680d8.jpg

oldhgzeta02_zpsce679e24.jpg

oldhgzeta03_zpsed1327d8.jpg

oldhgzeta04_zps15bab826.jpg

What a coincidence, my first gundam was an RG Zeta Gundam. Obviously I am very new to gunpla. I have decided while the RGs are beautifully detailed for the size, the small pieces can be a pain. I have decided to go all MG from then on.

Areaseven, I think you will like the RG Zeta and will be able to appreciate the advances it offers over your HG Zeta.

I really hope the MG Titanium Nu Gundam and MG Sazabi Ver. ka drop Dec 1st as that is the last day I am in Japan,but I doubt it, "Shakes fist in the air!".