Bandai 1/60 Scale DX Toy Thread Ver.7

logos

I'm not sure what I'm looking at. explaining in words what happened would be helpful.

t]

sory for the bad info that I give.. well its basiclly the connector between the wing that connect to the chest area and the croutch..

2r7wldg.jpg

here i give a pict from jedi walker to show you the area that brock *i'm sory i couldn't give u image from my messiah coz my webcam is just not good enough*

b623og.jpg

that is the area that brocken'

*sory for my bad english.. *

Edited by valid

oh looks like a broken hinge at the base of a swing bar. Here's what I did to fix mine:

If it was a tight movement, take the chest apart. Pull the pin with pliers. (super glue for this part wont work, I've tried) Epoxy the broken pieces together and around the outside for support ). Leave it for a couple hours until epoxy is rock hard. You might want to sand the inside of the hole afterwards from the excess epoxy and to also make the hole slightly bigger so it wont be so tight (reduce stress) when you put it back together. Sand epoxy, doesn't have to

be so flush because you don't want to lose the support. Put it all back together, and be gentle transforming it. Hope that helps.

Same fate as mine one, when I change it back to fighter mode I notice that one of the hinge at the base of a swing bar broken and broken pieces was no where to be found. After careful examinate all the area i found another crack as shown in the picture post-12209-127616053534_thumb.jpg post-12209-127616057392_thumb.jpg as I cant figure out how this can be happen. Anyway I put it display in fighter mode, I think don't want to transform it another mode, well one word I can say is too fragile.

oh looks like a broken hinge at the base of a swing bar. Here's what I did to fix mine:

If it was a tight movement, take the chest apart. Pull the pin with pliers. (super glue for this part wont work, I've tried) Epoxy the broken pieces together and around the outside for support ). Leave it for a couple hours until epoxy is rock hard. You might want to sand the inside of the hole afterwards from the excess epoxy and to also make the hole slightly bigger so it wont be so tight (reduce stress) when you put it back together. Sand epoxy, doesn't have to

be so flush because you don't want to lose the support. Put it all back together, and be gentle transforming it. Hope that helps.

thanks for the info.. i'll try with the epoxy :D

my 25S has some hairline marks on some of the same spots/hinges... i have since reinforced them w/ some superglue. it seems to be holding well after around 3+ very careful transformations. odd thing is, my 25F (w/c is older and transformed more) doesn't have any signs of these problems.

my 25S has some hairline marks on some of the same spots/hinges... i have since reinforced them w/ some superglue. it seems to be holding well after around 3+ very careful transformations. odd thing is, my 25F (w/c is older and transformed more) doesn't have any signs of these problems.

it's must be the skull! cursed of the skull leader! from focker to ozma..

Hmm, seems like most of the breaks are happening on the VF-25S.

Could be several reasons for this:-

• More VF-25S are displayed with armor on, compared to other versions. We know the armor stresses the joints.
  • The grey plastic is somehow different in composition to the plastic used on the F/G/RVF and more prone to cracking?
  • The cracks aren't as visible to spot on Alto's VF-25F, as it is white?

Graham

Touch wood, mine are still all OK, but I don't transform them at all these days.

In fact, my never-before transformed Alto VF-25F Tornado in fighter mode took a 4 foot dive off my bedroom TV the other day onto my wood floor and although the Tornado packs flew off, nothing was damaged.

Graham

In fact, my never-before transformed Alto VF-25F Tornado in fighter mode took a 4 foot dive off my bedroom TV the other day onto my wood floor and although the Tornado packs flew off, nothing was damaged.

Graham

Same thing happened to my DX Quarter last month, only the drop was closer to 5 feet. The cannon and flight deck each flew off in different directions and I assumed it was a certain defeat for the Quarter, but amazingly nothing broke. It got one little stress mark on the front chest spike, but that's it.

• 2 weeks later...

I just wanted to contribute my 2 cents worth impressions of this toy if anyone is considering diving into the Bandai 1/60 DX line.

I was so thoroughly impressed with the Yamato V.2 1/60 VE-1 and VT-1s previously (I believe they are the best "toys" in my collection), that I assumed all the toy companies took a step up to the plate to improve all their toys. Sadly, the Bandai DX still looks very much like a "toy" especially compared to the Yamato V.2 1/60 line. Luckily, I purchased the VF-25 Tornado when HLJ recently just had their sale and free shipping.

Cons;

-very toy-like (ie; shiny plastic, big screws, hinges)

-bad proportions (not sleek at all like the design)

-landing gears are a joke (just stubs with round shopping cart castors at the end)

-doesn't like tightly, flimsy/floppy and hard to align properly

-included stand attaches in a very non-elegant (arms are awkward and ugly)

-gunpod attachment is a joke

-transformation mechanism under the cockpit in the forward fuselage ruins the lines/design of the aircraft

Pros;

-all markings tampo printed onto the toy (no additional stickers to apply)

-only game in town for the VF-25 (other than models or tiny gashpon)

-Tornado atmospheric fast pack additions hide most of the bad proportions of the VF-25 toy itself

-included stand

Well, I was forced to buy this because I no longer have time for models (plus the Bandai models left such a bad taste in my mouth after building the Alto that I am loathed to finish the rest of my squadron!). It's my first and last Bandai 1/60 DX toy (I guess Yamato has spoiled me). Although if there were a sale on the VF-25S Armoured, I might re-consider as I find most of the armour and fast packs to hide a lot of what I don't like about the lines of the VF-25 toy itself. I might clear coat the fast packs in a flat clear finish and lightly weather them with some panel lining to see if it improves the situation a bit. For now, there's no choice, the only games in town for the VF-25 are the model (insane about of effort to do it properly) or this toy. ARGH!

I just wanted to contribute my 2 cents worth impressions of this toy if anyone is considering diving into the Bandai 1/60 DX line.

I was so thoroughly impressed with the Yamato V.2 1/60 VE-1 and VT-1s previously (I believe they are the best "toys" in my collection), that I assumed all the toy companies took a step up to the plate to improve all their toys. Sadly, the Bandai DX still looks very much like a "toy" especially compared to the Yamato V.2 1/60 line. Luckily, I purchased the VF-25 Tornado when HLJ recently just had their sale and free shipping.

Cons;

-landing gears are a joke (just stubs with round shopping cart castors at the end)

-transformation mechanism under the cockpit in the forward fuselage ruins the lines/design of the aircraft

Pros;

-Tornado atmospheric fast pack additions hide most of the bad proportions of the VF-25 toy itself

-included stand

Well, I was forced to buy this because I no longer have time for models (plus the Bandai models left such a bad taste in my mouth after building the Alto that I am loathed to finish the rest of my squadron!). It's my first and last Bandai 1/60 DX toy (I guess Yamato has spoiled me). Although if there were a sale on the VF-25S Armoured, I might re-consider as I find most of the armour and fast packs to hide a lot of what I don't like about the lines of the VF-25 toy itself. I might clear coat the fast packs in a flat clear finish and lightly weather them with some panel lining to see if it improves the situation a bit. For now, there's no choice, the only games in town for the VF-25 are the model (insane about of effort to do it properly) or this toy. ARGH!

Your complaints on the 1/60 DX VF-25 toys are valid and I agree 100%. However, it's not true of the entire 1/60 DX line. I find the VF-27 releases to be quite excellent and vastly improved over their VF-25 attempt. The plastic is still shiny and the gap under the cockpit for the waist joint is still there, though somewhat obfuscated by the lower canards. But just about everything else about the design is superb. A lot of effort was made to ensure the pieces lock together in the various modes and especially in fighter mode. The pieces fit together with hardly any gaps. For example, the hip gun practically flows into the wing root as the fit is really good, unlike the DX VF-25. The landing gears are much longer and can accommodate the fighter's huge beam gun with plenty of clearance between the gun and the ground. The gunpod attaches using a built in clip on the fighter along with a hook built into the beam gun itself. Proportions of the toy are even better than the 1/72 model. The pilot figure is more detailed and sized to 1/60 scale rather than the 1/72 scale half pilots that the VF-25 DXs had.

The only real cons are that the paint comes off easily so a clear coat is highly recommended and it doesn't come with any stand, but that isn't such a big deal as the VF-25 stands are not very attractive and minimally functional to begin with.

In short, it's much closer to what you would expect from a Yamato offering than the VF-25 DX.

The only real cons are that the paint comes off easily so a clear coat is highly recommended and it doesn't come with any stand, but that isn't such a big deal as the VF-25 stands are not very attractive and minimally functional to begin with.

Can we apply the clear coat to the nose area only (to the most risky area) or do we have to do it to the whole plane to match the coating over the toy (even if it's clear)??

Can we apply the clear coat to the nose area only (to the most risky area) or do we have to do it to the whole plane to match the coating over the toy (even if it's clear)??

You could just do it for the nose if the difference in sheen doesn't bother you. Then again, the plastic for the main body is shinier than the plastic used for the wing engines.

It's really up to you. You could test it on a separate piece like the shield first to see how much of a difference it is when it dries and decide from there.

2 more questions to ask :rolleyes:

1) Is there a risk of peeling off of clear coat after a year or so even if I didn't transform it?

2) Keeping in mind that I'm a total beginner at modeling but also want to protect my VF-27 which clear coat should I use?

Cons;

Pros;

-included stand

Well for me, I had high hopes for the DX, and my disappointment does not come from being spoiled by Yamato. The DX Messiah is just a disappointing toy. You have some SOC qualities like some very durable plastic(aside those hinges that broke on the Messiahs of fellow members here), and some good heft due to diecast. Yet you have easily scratched off tampo printed markings, joints that are prone to looseness, and limited range of motion. The 27 addresses many of the issues I have with the DX 25 but I have yet to buy one. Oh, and I hate how the hands go limp under the weight of the gun. The shoulder area is ugly too.

All of us expected an SOC-quality toy; sure we knew it wasn't going to be completely accurate, but it should have been on par with an SOC in the least. Far cry from the DX 1/65 Macross 7 toys, but far cry from being a good VF-25 toy too.

2 more questions to ask :rolleyes:

1) Is there a risk of peeling off of clear coat after a year or so even if I didn't transform it?

2) Keeping in mind that I'm a total beginner at modeling but also want to protect my VF-27 which clear coat should I use?

That really depends on what you use for the clear coat. So far, I've tried automotive clear coat, clear coat from krylon, and clear coat made by testor's for models. The automotive one is very durable but can melt the plastic if you're not careful, the krylon seems to be pretty safe and durable also, the testor's flakes off just looking at it. Some people have suggested using Future floor wax (now under the Pledge brand name), but I haven't tried it as it would require me to use my airbrush and I hate doing clean up on it.

I finally got some work done with Bandai's Tornado Parts gift-set including a video:

Tornado-DX-VF-25-4.jpg

I've also unveiled the new anymoon.com format, the Mega Review. My goal with future updates is going to be combine multiple similar posts into one Mega Review to make the site a lot easier to navigate and keep updated. Let me know if you guys have some feedback... there was a lot of content being squeezed into one post.

Truly speaking, I am not a real die-hard collector of Macross fighters. The other day when I was cleaning up my room, I came to realise that I have 5 units of DX Chogokin VF-25F Messiah fighters. Am I crazy or something? They are displayed with different weapons and in different modes as follows:

1) Battroid mode with super parts(movie version)

2) Fighter mode with super parts (Tamashii's exclusive version)

4135664491_23aa5436a3_b.jpg

4135664505_17ea1202a5_b.jpg

3) Battroid mode with armor parts (Tamashii's exclusive version)

Chogokin_ArmoredMessiah_01-1.jpg

4) Battroid mode with Tonardo Pack

Chogokin_TonardoMessiah_02.jpg

Chogokin_TonardoMessiah_01.jpg

P1090884.jpg

5) Gerwalk mode with Tonardo Pack

P1090947.jpg

P1090949.jpg

P1090952.jpg

P1090961.jpg

I can't imagine how much more I would spend if Bandai will release an improved version which is more anime-accurate with better design of head and landing gears in near future just like Yamato did for the original Macross series? What if another upgrade version of it will be released in conjuction with the second instalment of the movie that has never been appeared in TV series? What if the ending story of the movie were inspired from the original DYRL movie whereby Hikaru would take over the position of deceased Roy Focker to pilot VF-1S, so in this case, Alto's took over Ozma's position to fly VF-25S but with the same body paint as VF-25F ie, white, red and black? You know what I am saying right?

Edited by GLaw

Recently I got a tornado and I frigging love it. I mean it looks like a ship from a shooter game or something. Anyways, I am having a little bit of trouble with the stand. Basically, everytime I put the plane on the stand it falls to the rear. It turns out that the peg that inserts under the fuselage has no friction to hold it into place. I tried putting small piece of tape on the peg but they just come of after a while. Is there any secure way to fix this problem>?

Recently I got a tornado and I frigging love it. I mean it looks like a ship from a shooter game or something. Anyways, I am having a little bit of trouble with the stand. Basically, everytime I put the plane on the stand it falls to the rear. It turns out that the peg that inserts under the fuselage has no friction to hold it into place. I tried putting small piece of tape on the peg but they just come of after a while. Is there any secure way to fix this problem>?

That happened to mine as well. Therefore, I rather to have it displayed in Gerwalk mode instead.

I see. Well in that case, can you tell me where to get those plastic tripod stands that everyone uses?

flightpose.com and I have to agree that the included stand with the DX is some crap. You can also go for an official DX stand but I have yet to put mine together so I couldnt really tell you how good they are.

Edited by anubis20