Bandai 1/60 Scale DX Toy Thread Ver.7

logos

they keep adding things to the VF-25...while they could use their time developing a new model already!

Exactly my point. Stop using all the company resources to add parts to a toy that just plain sucks, frankly. All those weapons and armor they're spending development on---make a new VF-25 instead! Or a VF-171. Or 1/4 Grace statue...

I guess these exclusives are pure profit:

1. They sell are retail cost, no middlemen so they dont have to sell at wholesale prices.

2. They only produce the pre-orders that they get. No overstock left over to have to discount.

3. Shittier packaging so they even save on that!

Thats why they keep spitting them out, that business model worked for them and now nothing can stop the web exclusive train.

You explained it for me! I am afraid unless web exclusives don't do well in the Japanese home market the equation is:

"webshop exclusives is the way of the future"+Japanese companies usually don't care about market outside Japan=we are screwed

Exactly my point. Stop using all the company resources to add parts to a toy that just plain sucks, frankly. All those weapons and armor they're spending development on---make a new VF-25 instead! Or a VF-171. Or 1/4 Grace statue...

Co-sign

If they make a new DX 25(which I highly suspect), the least they could do is have it compatible with the pre-existing armors.

Co-sign

If they make a new DX 25(which I highly suspect), the least they could do is have it compatible with the pre-existing armors.

Why? The pre-existing armor suck. The ridiculous partial clam shell leg armors requiring ankle guard removal,the clip on arm armor that breaks the transformation, missing details, the raspberry basket missile bays, the shoddy way it attaches to the valk itself causing stress and leading to cracks and breakages... who wants to save that crap?

Besides, one of the major flaws of the dx vf-25 is that they changed the transformation so that the legs are slung under the body of the valkyrie instead of raised up becoming nacelles. If they make the legs transform correctly none of the current leg armor designs would be able to accommodate the wing glove in fighter mode.

That's the problem--the more armor they make for the OLD one, the less likely they are to make a new VF-25 any time soon---because then there's that much more armor that's incompatible with a future one, and that they'd have to design all over again for the new VF-25.

They should have stopped at the standard full armor for Ozma's. THEN make a new, improved VF-25 based on the VF-27. THEN do Tornado packs and all that--for the NEW one. That way there'd only be 2 incompatible sets--the old super and old full armor. Now we're up to like a half-dozen sets for the old one. Seriously--new movie, new VF-25. Great excuse for doing a remade toy so soon, too.

Now, they're "increasing the installed base" of the old VF-25, which is counter-productive to making a new VF-25.

We all KNOW there's going to be a new VF-25, but if they keep on pumping out stuff for the old one, they may wait like 5 years for the new one. The current VF-25 is going to become this generation's chunky munky-----there'll be SO many out there, with SO many variants and option packs, that no one will attempt to make a better one for a long time, because so many people have based their collections etc around it. If there was only the original Alto DX -25 with super and armor packs, then a lot of people would "switch" to a new one---but with so many people now having multiple VF-25's with multiple packs and multiple add-on weapon sets----they're less inclined to "start over" with a new VF-25, no matter how much better it may be.

(of course, the real problem is that Bandai should have realized how poor their DX VF-25 was from the start---the -27 is so much better with such a similar design, it's obvious Bandai was certainly capable of doing a much better -25 than they did)

That's the problem--the more armor they make for the OLD one, the less likely they are to make a new VF-25 any time soon---because then there's that much more armor that's incompatible with a future one, and that they'd have to design all over again for the new VF-25.

They should have stopped at the standard full armor for Ozma's. THEN make a new, improved VF-25 based on the VF-27. THEN do Tornado packs and all that--for the NEW one. That way there'd only be 2 incompatible sets--the old super and old full armor. Now we're up to like a half-dozen sets for the old one. Seriously--new movie, new VF-25. Great excuse for doing a remade toy so soon, too.

Now, they're "increasing the installed base" of the old VF-25, which is counter-productive to making a new VF-25.

We all KNOW there's going to be a new VF-25, but if they keep on pumping out stuff for the old one, they may wait like 5 years for the new one. The current VF-25 is going to become this generation's chunky munky-----there'll be SO many out there, with SO many variants and option packs, that no one will attempt to make a better one for a long time, because so many people have based their collections etc around it. If there was only the original Alto DX -25 with super and armor packs, then a lot of people would "switch" to a new one---but with so many people now having multiple VF-25's with multiple packs and multiple add-on weapon sets----they're less inclined to "start over" with a new VF-25, no matter how much better it may be.

(of course, the real problem is that Bandai should have realized how poor their DX VF-25 was from the start---the -27 is so much better with such a similar design, it's obvious Bandai was certainly capable of doing a much better -25 than they did)

I'd excuse them if they were already busy secretly working on a DX VF-171. I've held off buying Alto's VF-25 as well as any other releases after the full armored Ozma because I'm expecting them to eventually make an updated version sometime that's at least up to the standard set by the 27.

I really don't see Bandai caring one bit about how big their "installed base" is with the current DX. I'd assume the only thing keeping them from making something better is that they still have stock to empty out, and the factories are probably under a contract for a certain amount of production.

They've seen no reason not to release umpteen gajillion versions of whatever gundam property happens to be popular at the moment, and I don't think this will be any different. It just might take a while.

As for people investing in them, and considering them the "new chunky"... well.. frankly, I doubt the DX has the durability to ever reach that status. Well maintained chunkies are still sturdy and pretty looking decades later. They have their faults, but they are VERY durable. And for the time they were made, they were a darned accurate representation of a VF-1, considering they were made from a hand-animated show.

In comparison, the DX's owned by the members here (by people who are mostly collectors remember) have seen a lot of wear and tear from the slightest of handling (or in several cases, just displaying in a fixed pose). I'd hate to even try to imagine how these hold up for children. And while the chunkies managed to look good back then, Bandai has absolutely no excuse for the mistakes they made in the overall shape of the VF-25. The flappy bent wings, lousy shaped nose, idiotic landing gear.. and that's not even touching the super and armor pack issues.. those were not concessions for durability, they were just flat out lazy.

I might hold onto my couple of DXs for nostalgia's sake, but if Bandai comes up with something that looks.. well, you know, like they tried, I won't hesitate to get it. They can do so much better when they try, and it's obvious from the VF-27.

It may be a little while, but I'm hoping the current DX dies a quick untimely death, and Bandai tramples on its grave with something that looks as good as the model kit does.

On the other hand.. given the general wear and tear DXs seem to take quickly.. I only half jokingly wonder if Bandai didn't manufacture them to self-destruct on purpose, just so they can make something to replace them quickly, and sell twice as much stuff to replace the broken ones. <_<

Edited by Chronocidal

i agree that it's probably gonna take 5+ years for a completely new VF-25... that's why i'm past complaining about the current one... it is what it is. based on Bandai's track record when it comes to renewal/updated versions, they'll probably just make minor improvements here and there. i'm not holding my breath and putting my faith on a totally new DX VF-25... unless they make a totally new MacrossF TV series.

if it's gonna take that long, i'm hoping that the rights aren't tied up so some other company can take a stab at making a totally new VF-25.

I'd bleed my own blood for a Yamato VF-25 1/60 at this point.

now....

that's something worth to ponder on.....I have been looking at my DXes, couldn't help comparing to Yamato's SV-51 and wishing what could have been...ah, well...

Now there's something fun... anyone want to try an SV-51 to VF-25 custom conversion? :D

It would require a complete retooling of the kit, new resin molds...but yeah...fun.

let's not forget we're not the intended target market for the VF-25 anyway, so it is very much up to the Japanese collector to decide if we're getting a new version of anything, including the long overdue VF-171.

I have a lonely VF-27 Gamma, no VF-25 because it is so fugly and not even as durable as many claimed it would be.

Now there's something fun... anyone want to try an SV-51 to VF-25 custom conversion? :D

actually, why not try converting a DX VF-27 into a properly shaped VF-25? that should be easier than modifying a completely different mecha like the SV-51

I held out on the VF-25 too, b/c of its many problems. I got a VF-27, and I have no regrets...pretty nice toy, the crotch not locking out into anime correct position being its only major flaw.

I got the 1/72 VF-25 model, and it suffices for now, to present an accurate representation of the VF-25 until Bandai goes back to the drawing board, or Yamato gets the license.

Shame the VF-171 has gone completely ignored. It wasn't the hero mech, but still pretty neat in its own right. looking forward to see the final results/ review of Bandai's DX Konig Monster.

would the armor parts fit on the vf-27?

Not a single piece of the super nor armored packs would fit on the 27 in the slightest. The surface shapes and contours just don't match.

The only thing they share in common are the hands and style of transformation.

<!--quoteo(post=849719:date=May 9 2010, 06:44 PM:name=sh002)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sh002 @ May 9 2010, 06:44 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=849719"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->would the armor parts fit on the vf-27?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Not a single piece of the super nor armored packs would fit on the 27 in the slightest. The surface shapes and contours just don't match.

The only thing they share in common are the hands and style of transformation.

I don't have the VF-27 Bandai 1/72 kit, but I guess it does share some common parts, mainly skeletal I presume. General proportions (length of leg and arms, shoulder area, chest, cockpit, radome, etc.) are very close too. I really would like to see if somebody can pull it off: make a VF-25 that's accurate and sleek with the Bandai VF-27 toy, without having to wait for a V 2.0 or a Yammie.

4606273532_2e49fa3187.jpg

unfortunately last nite my VF-25S Armored broke on me during transformation :(

sigh.. the heavy wing armor stressed the part too much... probably should've removed it before transforming

Bummer. Can I steal your pic and use it on anymoon.com whenever I have the chance to update that post?

Edited by jenius

Bummer. Can I steal your pic and use it on anymoon.com whenever I have the chance to update that post?

sure, np... i tried to super glue the damage part, but it just reopens when tranforming because thats such a critical part of the transformation :( oh well, its gonna be stuck in fighter mode from now on...

The exact same joints cracked on my vf-25s armored messiah. I've just accepted it as a caveat of buying a valkyrie.

The pin looks big enough to hold it despite the crack though, as long as a big chunk of it doesn't break off. It doesn't stress me out as much as it did when I discovered it (prompting my first ever post here), but I'll handle it extra carefully when I put the armor on. A revision will probably be due somewhere down the line anyway.

When I first got my VF-25G DX, I looked that that hinge and definitely went :huh:?

Here's the thing about those hinges... they're at the end of another hinged plate, both of which move independently. If you don't keep both sides lined up while moving the back plate, it's just asking to snap.

Think of it like trying to make a sturdy connection between the middle segments of two of your fingers. Move one finger more than the other, and you put a tremendous amount of stress on the connection.

Only potential fix I can see for that problem is replacing those two circular hinges with a single metal bar that runs between them, to make sure those two shoulder plates stay linked.

Looks like a wide spread problem .. on mine, a piece of the hinge came off, so much harder to fix. It can still make battroid, but to be safe, i'd put something to support those heavy wings instead of letting the hinge take all the stress. probably a locking mechanism would've better distributed the weight than just leaving it hanging there.

:o :o :o

Ok now that's just down right sad.

All this time I've been working to get a VF-25 and this happens.

All bets are off till we get a V2 that is solid.

Its like the list just keeps getting longer on this toy.

Too bad cause it is a pretty cool mech in my book.

All I can do is hope my 27 doesn't surprise me (or any of us who bought them) with crap like this.

Anybody found anything other than the paint chip issues and oily stuff of your 27? :huh::blink: