Official 1/100 BANDAI VF Hi Metal VF-1J Valkyrie

Black Valkyrie

Why is it a "either or" situation if you like the HM then buy one if you don't then don't buy it but how come it always come down to a versus question, there not even the same scale and it is possible to you know, like BOTH the Yamato and Bandai versions.

BLASPHEMY! THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!!! (brand, scale, etc... :p )

Lol sure I could see it if they were the same scale then yeah comparing the two would make sense but at 1/100 the HM is only gonna be a bit over half the size of the Yamato. I have some 1/60's and will probably get this too only because I want a 1/100 scale Valk to display with my 1/100 Metal Fixx Gundam :p I know that's forbidden in these parts lol.

Edited by chen

It is rather impressive but I just starting buying the 1/60 about a year ago. I picked up 5 VF-1 so far and have 1 on pre-order. Maybe down the road I will pick up one but not going to collect them all. For a new toy line to win me over they gotta do something incredible. Like having an awesome villian mecha to go along with awesome hero mecha. How many scales do I need the VF-1 in.

Why is it a "either or" situation if you like the HM then buy one if you don't then don't buy it but how come it always come down to a versus question, there not even the same scale and it is possible to you know, like BOTH the Yamato and Bandai versions.

I just have to laugh at how many people said the 1/60 was too small, and basically talked Yamato out of doing anything in 1/100 (other than the VB-6) when they wanted to switch to that scale many years ago (starting with the Mac0 valks).

Now Bandai wants to do it and it's the best thing ever. :lol:

Edited by Vostok 7

I can't wait to get the 1/100 VF-1J. The Takatoku 1/100 VF-1J from the 80s was my introduction to Macross (not the cartoon) and to think I'm gonna get an updated one is pretty cool. And with 3 different scales in display I can have one in each mode.

I just have to laugh at how many people said the 1/60 was too small, and basically talked Yamato out of doing anything in 1/100 (other than the VB-6) when they wanted to switch to that scale many years ago (starting with the Mac0 valks).

Now Bandai wants to do it and it's the best thing ever. :lol:

To be fair, that was back in the V1 days when Yamato was strutting a 1/100 VF-0 toy that looked terrible and was a big partsformer. Now Bandai is making 1/100 toys that look good and aren't nearly the parts-formers the Yamatos were. Go figure there'd be lots of praise.

Edited by jenius

To be fair, that was back in the V1 days when Yamato was strutting a 1/100 VF-0 toy that looked terrible and was a big partsformer. Now Bandai is making 1/100 toys that look good and aren't nearly the parts-formers the Yamatos were. Go figure there'd be lots of praise.

The 1/100 VF-0 was supposed to be perfect transformation but the proportions suffered because of that, making it look pretty "off". IIRC that was around the time they were developing or had just come out with the 1/48s.

I understand the point, though. I'm all for a 1/100 perfect transformation VF-1 if they can come out with some different variation, and not just "canon" stuff.

I'm pretty sure the 1/100 VF-0 Yamato was making had the same transformation as the V1 1/60, meaning the legs popped off and fit into the nosecone in battroid. If I get bored tonight I'm gonna have to try to dig up that fossil somewhere... I should have included some pics in one of my VF-0 reviews...

You know, screw calling the VB-6 a "DX" toy, Bandai totally should have made it part of their "Hi-Metal 1/100" line. That seems to be where it fits the best.

I'm pretty sure the 1/100 VF-0 Yamato was making had the same transformation as the V1 1/60, meaning the legs popped off and fit into the nosecone in battroid. If I get bored tonight I'm gonna have to try to dig up that fossil somewhere... I should have included some pics in one of my VF-0 reviews...

ugly partsformer is ugly and partsforming.

dh-july-04-page15.jpg

That 1/100 VF-0 looks very good to me...

Yeah I wouldn't mind getting that now. I still transform my VF100 from time to time and this has an order of magnitude of less parts. But then again, the Phoenix is one of my fave valks. ^_^

I got rid of all my Yamato version 2.0 1/60s in anticipation of this - so it better be worth it, and there better be more than just the 1J coming down the pipeline.

The ultimate reason why the Yamato 2.0 was a failure in my mind?

I realized that I was scared to death to transform any of my Yammies or play with them because I feared that all their arms would fall off. When I noticed that my VF-1J had developed a should crack after 1 year.... during which time I played with it maybe like...twice... that was that.

Besides - all my Mastergrade Gundams are 1/100 scale AND Bandai have made the Macross 7 VF-19 Kai and are coming out with the VF-19S from Emerald force.

I like the scale.

I don't mind that it's not perfect transformation.

Yamato is great, but it's just too delicate.

Up until this VF-1J from Bandai, nothing except the Yamato looked like it should look.

The one thing I wonder...

I know bandai did the VF100s for Macross Frontier and there were lots of complaints about those...

Any chance Macross Frontier will make it into this Hi-Metal line?

From SDFM I assume we can certainly expect the VF-1S and all the other character variants. I mean - all they need to do is change heads and paint jobs.

Really hoping that these will be sturdy and have no QC issues.

Pete

I know bandai did the VF100s for Macross Frontier and there were lots of complaints about those...

Any chance Macross Frontier will make it into this Hi-Metal line?

From SDFM I assume we can certainly expect the VF-1S and all the other character variants. I mean - all they need to do is change heads and paint jobs.

Really hoping that these will be sturdy and have no QC issues.

Pete

It's inevitable IMO

Guest sh002

damn the vf-1j looks pretty good. i would want a max and miria. would also want bandai to make a transformable 1/100 vf-0s and vf-2ss toy.

Personally, the Yamato 1/60 is for Macross collection.

I am pretty sure Bandai is not going to release every valk in the show. While Yamato is milking the mold like crazy, in a sense they are helping Macross fans to realize the "owning every damn valk in the damn show" dream.

Bandai, with its vast choice of licenses to release toys, I doubt if certain models would ever materialize. We still hear nothing about a Robot Spirit RVF-25 (and let's forget the VF100 one).

Given how small the HM VF-19Kai is, the VF-1J would be even smaller. It would be a nice addition to the collection of valks, but not replacing it.

Personally, the Yamato 1/60 is for Macross collection.

I am pretty sure Bandai is not going to release every valk in the show. While Yamato is milking the mold like crazy, in a sense they are helping Macross fans to realize the "owning every damn valk in the damn show" dream.

Bandai, with its vast choice of licenses to release toys, I doubt if certain models would ever materialize. We still hear nothing about a Robot Spirit RVF-25 (and let's forget the VF100 one).

Given how small the HM VF-19Kai is, the VF-1J would be even smaller. It would be a nice addition to the collection of valks, but not replacing it.

Ah, you just took the words out of my mouth! :lol:

Agree with you, I could not see the hi-metal line replacing my current Yamato-Mania, but as an addition, for variety's sake, why not??

Both Bandai and Yamato have their strong points and weak points, at the end of the day, we just have to weight between value and purchasing power...which in my case, quite weak, hahah!

Normally I might agree with you guys who are saying that the VF-1J Hi Metal is going to be a one off...

BUT...

Bandai took the mold for the Fire Valkyrie and are already offering a VF-19S from Emerald force.

If they made something as remote as the VF-19S because they have the Hi Metal mold for the Fire valkyrie then...

What will stop them from taking advantage of the VF-1 mold for the Hi Metal line and giving us a 1S and 1A?

As for 1D - technically it's a two seater - but Bandai wouldn't have to adjust things too much I think....

In any event - So far every time there's been a VF-1 figure - be it Revoltech, Yammi or Toynami - it's been milked.

Why would Bandai suddenly not milk this very nice VF-1?

Pete

I will add the Hi-Metal line in my collection, but that's just for the sakes of it being VF-1 that I love so much. I already have every copy from Yamato V2 that they have milked, which I am glad that they did it, so another whole line from Bandai is not for me.

1. Bandai may do a whole line for this, but they are late in the game. Many hardcore fans who will get the whole line, already have the V2 in collection, which is in good scale.

2. If Bandai is willing to do more milking the VF-1 variants, they could have done it many many years ago instead of sitting on the license doing nothing for the last 25 years.

I will add the Hi-Metal line in my collection, but that's just for the sakes of it being VF-1 that I love so much. I already have every copy from Yamato V2 that they have milked, which I am glad that they did it, so another whole line from Bandai is not for me.

1. Bandai may do a whole line for this, but they are late in the game. Many hardcore fans who will get the whole line, already have the V2 in collection, which is in good scale.

But this is a handier smaller scale which won't take up much space anyways. Also, I believe there are still quite a few folks out there that simply did not/could not collect the Yamato 1/60 series due to their size and/or price.

2. If Bandai is willing to do more milking the VF-1 variants, they could have done it many many years ago instead of sitting on the license doing nothing for the last 25 years.

None of us know why Bandai didn't do so years ago. It could be any reason. Gundam fans didn't get a decent toy figure (kits don't count) of the RX-78 until just a few years ago with a 1/100 GFF Metal Composite.

From my experience in business, licensing and agreement issues can often lead to long delays. In Macross's case, I'm sure the whole legal battle between Big West and Tatsunoko created a lot of problems. Even though Bandai had rights to Macross, it doesn't always mean they get to do whatever they want whenever they want.

None of us know why Bandai didn't do so years ago. It could be any reason. Gundam fans didn't get a decent toy figure (kits don't count) of the RX-78 until just a few years ago with a 1/100 GFF Metal Composite.

Or it could be that there was no Macross show on television since Macross 7 until Frontier came out.

this toy (rather collectible).. is very promising.

i would sell my spare yamatos for this.. bring on the 1S, 1A, 1D,.. specially the strike packs!..

must work in overtime.

must work in overtime.

must work in overtime.

must work in overtime.

Because it is Bandai, and it is not Gundam?

Although they can milk the mold, they may or may not bother to. They have enough things on their license list to make, than thinking about what molds to milk.

(I still want a VF100 RVF-25)

I believe one may get a 1S, CF1A and maybe an 1D in the HM series. Even the M&M 1Js.

But the DYRL 1As? Max and Kakizaki TV 1As? I seriously doubt it. But then there goes my Skull and Vermillion squads.

Max 1S? Angelbird? Virgin Road? CF 1J? Not very likely too.

Quite on the other hand, I am expecting the VE-1 and VT-1 on the list though. I think they were shown in a poster for the VF100?

The HM would be nice to have (thus far from the pics), but the Yamato 1/60 line owns it all (literally).

Normally I might agree with you guys who are saying that the VF-1J Hi Metal is going to be a one off...

BUT...

Bandai took the mold for the Fire Valkyrie and are already offering a VF-19S from Emerald force.

If they made something as remote as the VF-19S because they have the Hi Metal mold for the Fire valkyrie then...

What will stop them from taking advantage of the VF-1 mold for the Hi Metal line and giving us a 1S and 1A?

As for 1D - technically it's a two seater - but Bandai wouldn't have to adjust things too much I think....

In any event - So far every time there's been a VF-1 figure - be it Revoltech, Yammi or Toynami - it's been milked.

Why would Bandai suddenly not milk this very nice VF-1?

Pete

Edited by ff95gj

Don't forget, Bandai just made 1/55 VF-1A Max and Hikaru in DYRL schemes in their chunky line... If Bandai gets into mold-milking I don't think it's a stretch to expect those schemes.

But I doubt they'd do a stealth or low-viz scheme though...

They'll definitely do a clear version though. Almost guaranteed. Kawamori seems to have a thing for clear versions and lately Bandai has been doing the clear parts thing with their kits. :)

Edited by Vifam7

Don't forget, Bandai just made 1/55 VF-1A Max and Hikaru in DYRL schemes in their chunky line... If Bandai gets into mold-milking I don't think it's a stretch to expect those schemes.

Still, how many chunky models do we get? ;)

The point is, they don't bother to really milk the mold like Yamato does. Several models, maybe. There would be many models never see the day.

bandai cares ONLY about money, if this sells well they'll make more, end of story.

there... that's more like it.

but i do agree that they're not as heavily invested in Macross as Yamato is, so i'm w/ the camp that's not expecting them to make the more obscure VF-1s... definitely not expecting them to come out w/ non-canon paint schemes... but if they somehow do, expect it to be some kind of exclusive (mo' money!!!).