Official 1/100 BANDAI VF Hi Metal VF-1J Valkyrie

Black Valkyrie

That DOES look gorgeous.

Does anyone know how much 'hi metal' is in this thing?

Pre-orders anywhere yet? =)

AmiAmi has had it for pre-order for some time now.

Hmmm... the change in the color of the visor makes me think that Bandai wants to 'do a Yamato' when/if they release the GBP...

The "correct" head positioning alone makes me like the look of this more than the 1/60 Yamatos. I only bought the ones where that wasn't an issue, namely the VF-1D and the VE-1.

That said, I already have a 1/48 and 1/55 version of this valk, so I'm gonna wait for another variant. Maybe I'll go for a Focker. Or an Angel Bird. Perhaps even a Super Ostrich.

Something tells me Bandai aren't as big into mold-milking as Yamato, though. They never released a Luca VF-100. Maybe holding out for one of the rarer variants is not the most prudent thing to do... but I really don't need another VF1.

Overall, looks pretty damn good. I'll be watching how this one turns out.

Something tells me Bandai aren't as big into mold-milking as Yamato, though. They never released a Luca VF-100. Maybe holding out for one of the rarer variants is not the most prudent thing to do... but I really don't need another VF1.

The Luca VF-100s was never released probably because the VF-25 never had the market reception they expected, and honestly it was really not such a brilliant toy, though I did buy all three released. I don't think Bandai is not into mold milking, but they do have a lot of stuff going on at the same time. Yamato is a smaller company holding less franchises, so you get a new VF every month.

it's great that they got the head placement right, but it's at the expense of having a larger gap between the chest and the thighs/intakes. they should add some side covers so it won't be too noticeable. but then again, that would probably be included w/ the webshop exclusive GBP add-on set. :mellow:

Could it be? We can experience the love of buying a VF-1, for the forth time??? (1/60, 1/48, 1/60 v.2......)

i'm quite excited about this, despite the obvious overkill of vf-1ness.

More like the ninth time. You left out the 1/55, 1/100, 1/72, Banpresto, Toynami.... I'm sure there's more.

Sold! I just put an order on amiami ^_^ still around a month or so, but my first VF-1... This should be a blast. Strange that the VF-1 is cheaper than the VF-19, even before discount. The VF-1 has extra option hands, missiles and landing gears, while the VF-19 has nothing.

Well it looks nice but there is no way for me now to switch from Yamato, since its VF1 are perfect for me and no swapping parts.

took the words right out of my mouth... almost dived into the 1/100 line, good thing Yamato's announcement came before i was ready to pay for the Hi-Metal Kai. i think i'll stick w/ Yamato's 1/60s since it's been seen that it's possible for them to get licenses or rights to make certain valks that they can't make atm... it's just a question of when... it may seem to be the more expensive route now, but we've seen a lot of Yamato's products go on sale in the last year or so... and in that same time, Bandai's valks seem to get more and more expensive after every issue/re-issue... plus, they seem to be in overkill mode when it comes to deciding w/c products they'll be releasing as some kind of web/event/magazine etc. etc. exclusive...

I'm looking forward to getting one in my hands. The scale size and under $50 price tag (@Amiami) are a huge draw for me.

The 1/60 Yamatos are really nice but they're just too big in size and too expensive for me to accept buying/collecting. I just hope this VFHM series continues to grow.

Sold! I just put an order on amiami ^_^ still around a month or so, but my first VF-1... This should be a blast. Strange that the VF-1 is cheaper than the VF-19, even before discount. The VF-1 has extra option hands, missiles and landing gears, while the VF-19 has nothing.

It's because the VF-1 is a smaller toy. The two toys are the same scale, but a VF-1 is smaller than a VF-19.

In any case, this thing is looking superb.

The 1/60 Yamatos are really nice but they're just too big in size and too expensive for me to accept buying/collecting. I just hope this VFHM series continues to grow.

Indeed, the prospect of a full 1/100 line filled with lots of different valks is exciting. The Hi Metal line is off to such a good start with the excellent VF-19, and if the photos are any indication the VF-1 should be really good too. Hopefully the line will continue to be profitable for Bandai so they will keep it going long enough to bring us things like the VF-17, VF-4, VF-2SS, VF-11, etc. It'll be so much easier to display all of them together in one spot at this smaller scale, too.

Edited by eriku

With that much going on, I'm just praying the thing is durable enough to handle. We saw what happened when Yamato tried to do too much with a smaller scale (shoulders on the V2) and it seems like Bandai is doing nearly as much with an even smaller scale.

Lot's of detail at the official page:

http://tamashii.jp/t_item/t_item.php?eid=00025

From a translation bot:

They are excited about the half knee pose - the 1:60 Yamato can do that too, right?

Pull-out hip joint for large angle, and toe movement keep it firm to the ground - yes it can do wider A stance than any Yamato.

Two set of wings for clean display without the missile plugs - nice.

Full transformation with no part swap except the canopy.

Die-cast part for transformation mechanism.

This set of photos still don't looks final - some nose have kite and some don't.

That hip joint system is some nice innovation on Bandai's behalf.

Too bad it looks like we won't be getting any side covers. :angry:

On a whole I'm really excited about this Hi-Metal line. While I haven't completely turned my back on Yamato stuff,

it's going to be hard to justify buying one, when I could probably get 2-3 Hi-Metal Valks (depending on VF type) for the same price.

Also, I do think the 1/100 scale is a better for fiddling around with when your bored.

The 1/60 scale is nice, but anything bigger than VF-1 quickly become awkward to handle.

With that much going on, I'm just praying the thing is durable enough to handle. We saw what happened when Yamato tried to do too much with a smaller scale (shoulders on the V2) and it seems like Bandai is doing nearly as much with an even smaller scale.

That's definitely a valid concern because unless the "1/100" is a misnomer this toy will be very, very tiny.

That said, Bandai does have the ability to work wonders with figures so small, but that doesn't mean they always do.

I have a feeling it will be of great quality, and a huge step over the Toynami 1/100's(mine have busted polycaps). If the shoulders and integral parts needed for transformation are made of diecast, it should be pretty sturdy.

Lot's of detail at the official page:

http://tamashii.jp/t_item/t_item.php?eid=00025

From a translation bot:

They are excited about the half knee pose - the 1:60 Yamato can do that too, right?

Pull-out hip joint for large angle, and toe movement keep it firm to the ground - yes it can do wider A stance than any Yamato.

Two set of wings for clean display without the missile plugs - nice.

Full transformation with no part swap except the canopy.

Die-cast part for transformation mechanism.

This set of photos still don't looks final - some nose have kite and some don't.

not really, the legs on the yammie don't angle out enough to clear the wings like the bandai is shown doing. You can do it if you spread the wings so the intakes are able to go back but it looks pretty awkward in the pose.

edit:: well, you can cheat by not clicking the back plate in fully and half popping out the hip peg.

_DSC1594.jpg

Edited by eugimon

From GA Graphic via Ngee Khiong

- Double joint for the elbow for wider articulation of the arm.

- Pull-out mechanism implemented for the pelvis joint, allowing the legs to spread wider for more stable standing.

- Improved design for the ankle, allowing it to be able to touch the surface better.

- Both the pelvis and ankle joint design make difficult poses like kneeling possible.

- Knee joint can be turned horizontally to create beautiful poses for the legs in Gerwalk mode.

- Hands can be retracted during transformation.

- Landing gears are attached to the Fighter Mode via part-swapping.

I'm not entirely sure what to think of the "improved" ankle joint.. if only because we never saw the feet work that way.

It does make posing easier, but at the same time, it's not how the feet are supposed to pivot. Don't mean to sound like I'm complaining really, as it's a nice innovation. I suppose you've gotta account for magical bending metal somehow. ^_^

More like the ninth time. You left out the 1/55, 1/100, 1/72, Banpresto, Toynami.... I'm sure there's more.

I should explain the collection of the good scales. :p only the few are worth it, the others are just for sakes, fun buys.

1/55's are the classics when that's all we had, now we got bucket loads of vf-1.

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

Hmm... closer inspection shows that the hips don't actually clear the wings in the kneeling pose either.

post-2535-1272475443.jpg

The big improvement is the adjustable hip width/distance which allows the hips to swing out further/sit slightly higher, giving a more "natural" pose.

Deciding which hip/swing bar has a better design between the hi-metal & 1/60 v2 is a tough call.

Great... now I really need one of these.

That's definitely a valid concern because unless the "1/100" is a misnomer this toy will be very, very tiny.

That said, Bandai does have the ability to work wonders with figures so small, but that doesn't mean they always do.

I wouldn't worry about scale too much. We have already seen that different same-scale toys can vary greatly from iteration to iteration.

Take the 1/55 VF1 MPC. In fighter mode it's exacly the same scale as the old and new Yamato 1/60 VF1, but in Battrod it's much bigger. I think the head of the 1J Hi-Metal will reach the VF19's chest.