Prometheus - on Blu-Ray and DVD Oct. 9, 2012

Well, despite what we may think of the movie it seems that Ridly Scott and his team have been saying that Prometheus IS a prequel to Alien.......but not REALLY. To add to that, it's been said that if a sequel is made then that movie will move even further away from the Alien universe. So the 'tech and whatever else we may find to be incongruent with the established Alien universe may be irrelevant.....or NOT...

Edited by myk

And THAT would be a good thing!!!!! :)

Agreed, but then....why make any references to Alien at all, vague as those references may be?

Phantom Menace.

Star Trek comes to mind also. Maybe I'm not being critical enough but the inconsistency of 'tech doesn't bother me; if they had had the cinematic technique to feature cool technologies back-in-the-day they would have, a la Star Wars, etc...

Phantom Menace.

But a seemingly backwards flow of technological development over time is such a constant thing in Star Wars that it's more a trait of the fictional universe than a continuity problem.

also Phantom Menace was a crappy movie. :p

you guys seriously debating the tech of the ship compared to the nostromo? You do realize that Prometheus is a weyland research vessel and Nostromo is a mining ship.

Do you see touch screens and state of the art equipment at mining sites or machinary? no? i didnt think so.

They are built for purpose and practicality. Nostromo has no need for bells and whistles,the tech is made to be strudy and to last.

Prometheus is completely different.

I also dont think Phantom Meance tech is that much more different from the original trilogy, the OT is in a state of galatic civil war. Rebels use what ever they can get their hands on,the galaxy is battle worn and used.

you guys seriously debating the tech of the ship compared to the nostromo? You do realize that Prometheus is a weyland research vessel and Nostromo is a mining ship.

Do you see touch screens and state of the art equipment at mining sites or machinary? no? i didnt think so.

They are built for purpose and practicality. Nostromo has no need for bells and whistles,the tech is made to be strudy and to last.

For one thing, the Nostromo wasn't a mining ship, it was a commercial towing vessel hauling an ore processing plant. And second, it's not a case of Cutting edge tech vs rugged, reliable tech. It's a case of having a telegraph on a boat decades after inventing the radio.

Edited by anime52k8

Prometheus is completely different.

Yes, yes, yes... Hologram interactive controls, flat screens, and etc on the Prometheus, but on the Nostromo 2 inch thick keyboards, bulb xmas lights, no LED's, xerox printer, and mono-tone TUBE screens.

It's like comparing the GPS of a Lamborgini Aventador to a wooden wagon used by a French farmer before the Germans invaded.

Have you seen present day mining equipment? They have tech that makes NASA HQ look a normal magnet compass.

Mining these days have absorb benefit of technology to ensure every last flake of gold and coal is scrabbed into the profit machine.

For one thing, the Nostromo wasn't a mining ship, it was a commercial towing vessel hauling an ore processing plant. And second, it's not a case of Cutting edge tech vs rugged, reliable tech. It's a case of having a telegraph on decades after inventing the radio.

THANK YOU! ^_^

What Dava Newman has done is create a suit that applies pressure to the skin directly instead of the air. The result is a skin-tight spandex looking suit that allows for a full range of mobility.

That explains Klan Klang's flight suit.

To bring in the hard-core Alien fans.

They just KNEW I was planning to bring my 18" McFarlane Alien figure to opening night, didn't they! :wacko:

That explains Klan Klang's flight suit.

Klan Klan's Breasts explain the flight charactorists. The suit only explains how to wash it (gently)

They just KNEW I was planning to bring my 18" McFarlane Alien figure to opening night, didn't they! :wacko:

You know, I think the hard core Alien fans are going to be dissapointed in Prometheus. They keep asking the same questions over and over: Will there be facehuggers? Will the Xeno be in the film? what about the Alien queen, is she in the film? Is Prometheus a prequel to Alien? I think RS wanted to make a film about the "space jockey" and go in a direction away from ALIEN, unfortunately the movie studio probably kept asking him the same questions about Xenomorphs, Facehuggers, and Chestbursters(or Chestbusters), the very things he wanted to get away from. He said that the last 8 minutes of Prometheus ties in with ALIEN, but I don't think he's going to cram Xenos, facehuggers, chestbursters, and Ripley's mother in those last 8 minutes. I think Prometheus will be a good film and I'm hoping it will be a great film, but for those who want ALIEN, I think you should buy the BLU-RAY.

(Is Alien out on Blu-Ray?) :p

Alien is out on Blu-Ray and it's quite nice. But I think you are right. It looks like you might see some facehuggery lineage from the trailers, but yeahh. I doubt we are gonna see a Xeno, or maybe just like...the first one being born from the Space Jockey at the end of the film or something like that.

I'm still super stoked about the film, but I don't think we're going to see a classic Xeno stalking anyone.

I wont be disappointed in the least, the closest we got to a xenomorph was that wallsculpture in the trailer which hell could be cut out of the final cut. Who knows?

girlfriend and I will be surely seeing this on imax though I can just about garuntee that.

but I don't think he's going to cram Xenos, facehuggers, chestbursters, and Ripley's mother in those last 8 minutes. I think Prometheus will be a good film and I'm hoping it will be a great film, but for those who want ALIEN, I think you should buy the BLU-RAY.

(Is Alien out on Blu-Ray?) :p

Um....very well then I'll settle for some back story on Jonesy the cat. At least give me some story on the cat.

In all seriousness having a story that deviates from Alien is FINE by me. Why? Because I'm all for another epic science fiction/creature story as the rest of you are. It was mentioned before that the vague references to the Alien universe were to draw Alien fans like myself to the picture; I think they could have accomplished that without the, dare I call it, "misleading" tie in. Xeno presence or not, I am highly anticipating this movie...

Edited by myk

Reviews are out.

Average feeling I get was it wasnt bad but it was watchable. That Fassenburger was excellent everybody else was over-compensating. A little drab, and lackluster. I think it had to do with this generations ridiculous neurotic behavior ie tell me what is it about, no dont tell me just tell me small bits, no tell me in even smaller bits and then tell me about the general idea etc etc. Just tell me what the movie is about. PERIOD. OR dont tell me at all. Like I said neurotic! I felt it would flop on expectations as a result of hollywoods presentation style of upcoming movies

Edited by slaginpit

i think all the info they gave away so far makes me worried... then again, a movie about a unable to get to sea BB that got kicked in the gonades (for stateside profits at least) by The Avengers... shrug. maybe part II, LOL...

Just came back from watching the film and have to say that I'm a tad disappointed. Don't get me wrong, the film is a stunning visual experience, but I guess my expectations were too high (Ridley Scott, Sci-fi, tie in with Alien etc) and I expected more. The acting was unexpectedly bland with the exception of Fassbender who is wonderful in his role. And I felt the music distracted from the film instead of improving it. Not too mention that I thought some of the character interactions were a bit ridiculous. Looking forward to more people seeing it so we can discuss details soon. All I can say in relation to Macross though is

that the Engineers are indeed the "protoculture" and that mankind does descend from them. And curiously enough they were also developing other life forms to use as weapons and it turned on them. Just love the symmetry.

From what I've been reading from the critics, the characters aren't too bright and the script is rather lackluster - they seem to enjoy the movie though. The audience seems to love it. Only 18 critic reviews so far but it's getting an 89% on RottenTomatoes.com. It's not doing as well on metacritic with a 63 from 5 reviews so far. I'm looking forward to reading more reviews.

I'm still very much looking forward to seeing this movie. I cannot wait!

Edited by Oihan

I have a question for those who have seen the film and who know about "At the Mountains of Madness". Please explain how Prometheus could ruin any chances of Del Toro making At the Mountains of Madness when from what I've read the two stories are not the same. :unsure:

There are clearly some similarities in the storyline (group of explorers traveling to remote location, finding something unexpected, implications and consequences of said find). Having said that, I think there are enough differences in the plot, characters, not to mention the setting and tone, for there to be no real problem in del Toro making "At the Mountains of Madness". It's not like there are that many original stories out there. Romantic comedies churn out the same story over and over and over again with different actors and no one seems to mind.