Prometheus - on Blu-Ray and DVD Oct. 9, 2012

OK, I did not get a chance to see Prometheus last weekend, but SOMETIME this week I will go see it. My question is (to all of those who saw it) what kind of food did you buy at the theater? Is Prometheus strictly a Popcorn and Soda film, or is Pizza and Nachos OK? Mind you I usually finish eating before the trailers end: I like to be seated long before the movie starts!!! :D

OK, I did not get a chance to see Prometheus last weekend, but SOMETIME this week I will go see it. My question is (to all of those who saw it) what kind of food did you buy at the theater? Is Prometheus strictly a Popcorn and Soda film, or is Pizza and Nachos OK? Mind you I usually finish eating before the trailers end: I like to be seated long before the movie starts!!! :D

Pizza and nachos aren't enough. Be sure to stock on a #1 combo (which varies per theater, but is usually a tub of popcorn and a 32 oz. soda), some extra nacho cheese and a couple of boxes of Sour Patch Kids and Red Vines.

Occording to Ridley, this originally was made more clear in the script, but they thought that "it was a little too on the nose."

Negotiator, It doesn't make sense to you because you are confusing human theology with science-fact within that universe.

I'm not confused, I follow what you are saying and what RS is saying, I just think he's ignoring a couple things with that story even within this movieverse.

Not to mention that the Engineer could have kicked everyones' ass in Jerusalem. And I doubt they made the cross in XXXXXXXXL.

And C'mon... have you seen the locks on our boy Jesus' head? I mean he's got the abs of an alien engineer but he's got the mane of an earthbound carpenter.

Finally had a chance to see Prometheus with some friends. This movie is definitely something different than most of the fare in theatres, but honestly, Prometheus is a film firmly entrenched in the status quo of established science fiction without really doing that much of anything innovative or inspired.

I think my opinion of Prometheus is that it simply...treads water. I didn't get much out of the story, the science or the philosophy. This is all familiar territory albiet redressed and repackaged with skill and care. I never felt cheated by Prometheus as a production, only as a story. What I did get out of Prometheus was the pleasure of many amazing shots, an appreciation for solid acting and admiration for the production design. But again, my fondness for the film manifests as a love for the film's craft, not from any substance or because it evoked any enduring emotion. I felt some tension at times, I felt some interest in the story infrequently and on occassion there were moments I felt wonder. The rest of the time I was simply willing enough to go along without ever becoming that engaged.

Also as a general rule, I do harbor a distaste for any story with pretensions that reach far further than can be grasped. A film like Prometheus clearly shoots for the big questions and yet while I never demand answers I do demand something meaningful is brought into the conversation. As far as I can tell Prometheus has nothing to add to the evolving conversation of science fiction. We're left not with enlightenment but rather simple masturbation. Granted the finale of masturbation is always worthwhile, but I was hoping to reach it via an intimate encounter instead of just an inflatable :)

I will say that I now understand the breadth of the many varied and polarized reviews of Prometheus. While I don't share hatred for the film I can understand why many hold the film in contempt for failing to be an inspired part of the evolution of science fiction. I did enjoy watching the film and although Prometheus added nothing to the conversation, at least I can now add to the conversation myself.

6 out of 10.

Not to mention that the Engineer could have kicked everyones' ass in Jerusalem. And I doubt they made the cross in XXXXXXXXL.

And C'mon... have you seen the locks on our boy Jesus' head? I mean he's got the abs of an alien engineer but he's got the mane of an earthbound carpenter.

Lilith_(Rebuild).png

RLM is always almost dead on.

Two things though... not really spoilers but... When Weyland's 3D hologram appears it can look at the intended subject because part of that hologram is programmed to recognize where the subjects are. They are also programmed to answer questions, kinda like Siri but way more advanced. Remember in Blade Runner when Decker picks up the photograph and it had a 3D hologram of the room not just a 2D picture. That's because the cameras in BR don't take pictures but scans the room and delivers a 2D rendering from the point of view of the "photographer". Here the hologram is a pre programmed 3D CGI based on Weylands original recording...

Second thing is that there wasn't 65 million years of dinosaurs before humans. There was 135 Million years of dinosaurs and then there was a 65 million years inbetween before the present or before they were discovered.

OK... maybe there's three things. Why did the engineers create us and then want to destroy us? That's not a plot hole at all. The problem with this movie is there's so many of both plot holes and and open ended questions that it's hard to distinguish what is bad story telling and what's an actual mystery and the muddy result makes it bad all over. The fact that it's done so beautifully confuses things even further.

Over all though he hit the nail on the head again.

LOL. Notice also that the camera never moves when its on him but it starts to wander when it's on the other guy... that's because he's the camera man. It's weird. I've never seen Mr. Plinkett's face before.

Just saw Prometheus last night, overall I liked it, but it wasn't anything groundbreaking.

I do come away with many questions, of course. Did the Engineers create all life on Earth at "the beginning of time" as Scott said? Or did the dude at the beginning just add his code to the existing life of our geologic era, influencing mammal evolution? You know, like the Protoculture did. Were they regularly visiting Earth, thus the inscriptions, or was that passed down from legend? What prompted their change of heart?

Seriously, was it the crucifixion of Space Jesus? Ugh. Maybe it was something else. Now if it had been 10,000 years, we could say agriculture was the big shift that they didn't like.

I was vindicated in my later assumption that this was a separate ship from the one seen in Alien. Go me. OTOH, I could see how the Aliens were based on the same bioweapon.

We do see a progression from the mealworms on the floor, to the wormy critters, Shaw's tentacled "child" which grew to the super-facehugger, and ultimately the creature at the end. They seem to be getting closer and closer to the Aliens we know. Even then, the Aliens kept changing in the previous movies, culminating in the creepy hybrid in the 4th film.

The Engineer facility was a good tie in to previous Giger designs, and I thought it cleared up something from Alien. The egg room in the original film always looked too big to be part of the ship to me. Kane called it a "cave," but I always wondered if it really was supposed to be the cargo hold. Now I figure it may have been an analogous to the ampule room, with the crashed ship atop the facility. Hmm, these guys oughta try flying sideways for a while when they take off.

I thought of it as a "body hugger" rather than a face hugger; that monster was right out of my hentai collection man...

gonna try and watch it tonight.. hopefully unless the wife wants me to watch rock of ages..

I feel you man.. I was SUPPOSED to see Prometheus tomorrow, unfortunately I got roped into seeing The Avengers...AGAIN!!!! :( Now I'm going to be busy for weeks and unable to get to the theater...does anybody know how long Prometheus will be in theaters? Hopefully it will still be hanging around in July.

Don"t waste your time seeing this film. It was a steaming pile. I think after some time has passed, most people that liked it will come to the conclusion that it was a bad film. Beautifully shot, but terrible. The story makes little sense, and the plot holes are too glaring to ignore. RS should leave the SF alone. He has clearly lost his touch.

Don"t waste your time seeing this film. It was a steaming pile. I think after some time has passed, most people that liked it will come to the conclusion that it was a bad film. Beautifully shot, but terrible. The story makes little sense, and the plot holes are too glaring to ignore. RS should leave the SF alone. He has clearly lost his touch.

Speak for yourself, mate.

- 5. The movie is objectively bad.

"Objectively"? That's amusing. I'll have to look up the universally accepted, fact-based criteria for "good movie" one of these days. :rolleyes:

I "Like" that.

Oh and LOL @ the -5 rating and all of the other hate; c'mon guys it ain't THAT bad...

I just saw it again with my wife, who enjoyed it. Taksraven, that poster shows the person who made it wasn't watching closely, or just simplified things, 1 and 3 aren't even 'right'. Flawed movie, but still great fun, and makes for some good conversation afterwards, unlike the rest of the dross at the movies these days....

I'll just leave this here :

http://cavalorn.live...135.html#cutid1

I did leave the cinema thinking along the same lines as thus guy and I agree with the motifs, but where he finishes his entry with increasing sentiments of 'meh' - I enjoyed it and enjoy it more the more I think about it. Can't wait to see it again.

Thanks for the link (Kick-ass customs and an intriguing link to boot? Impressive!).

I think if I hadn't read that link prior to watching the film, I would have been having a number of WTF? moments.

Considering all the little viral links and easter eggs throughout the Net, I think I realize what's kind of a "tough sell" about this movie: you need all this background information just to get a good sense/understanding about this movie.

Yeah, any average movie-goer should get the sense that Weyland Corp. is this big bad corporationâ„¢. But without seeing the viral stuff, they don't realize how HUGE of a freakin' corporation and how heavily ingrained they are in the in-universe world. Biological, military, and space travel. That's a pretty expansive list of specialties!

Average movie-goer knows that David is an android. But they don't realize that the androids were specifically designed to do things that normal humans couldn't. . . like do "unethical" things and never once consider the moral implications of their actions.

I think that's where my hestitancy to rave for this film comes from: I like it. But it doesn't spell out/develop enough of its bigger themes. One throwaway line about 2000 years ago wasn't sufficient for me. It should have been fleshed out a little more. Even a quiet moment, where the Captain tells Shaw, "Hell if you made humans and saw how we were acting and "evolving," wouldn't you CONSIDER pulling the plug on the experiment?"

In summary, it wasn't a bad movie. But it would have been nice if they tightened up and expanded certain areas of the story and plot.

So much yes - this guy articulates my thoughts exactly. Goddamn I love this movie. Me wants it on bluray. Like, yesterday.

Interesting clip, reminded me that I really wanted to enjoy Prometheus more than I did and that despite whatever flaws I perceive it warrants a second viewing in the theater.

And a inevitable purchase on Blu Ray.

-b.

Watching this movie in 3D was like getting my senses gangbanged (in a good way - a great way!) I LOVE this movie and I cant wait to see it again and to own it on blu ray. totally getting the neca figures too.