Prometheus - on Blu-Ray and DVD Oct. 9, 2012

Yeah that

Or her cryo suit.

Tee hee.

Yeah, Charlize looked pretty hot in that suite. The best shot was seeing her from behind having a talk with dad.

I think what I really didn't like about the film was the inconsistencies with the black goo. In one scene, It was shown to accelerate evolution, and in another destroy life (death and rebirth). The opening prologue scene was unecessary. We know from trailers that the humans are looking for their creators.

I also didn't like that there wasn't a real explanation of what killed the inhabitants of the base. It's hinted, and I know that it's irrelevant(were supposed to be left in the dark), but I still would've liked an answer.

The big theme I really enjoyed was how dangerous(and often disasterous exploration usually is). There is always a price to be paid for advancement, knowledge etc.

Also loved David's line of big things and beginnings. Considering his actions that moment, we are witnessing the birth of the francise.

Makes as much sense as saying "Speak for yourself" in response to someone's opinion.

Uhm...

No.

It all depends on context. Ie: "Everyone thinks Prometheus is the best thing since sliced bread." "Speak for yourself".

Uhm...

No.

It all depends on context. Ie: "Everyone thinks Prometheus is the best thing since sliced bread." "Speak for yourself".

another way to say it

it's just that he's being nicer about it (and all of you should be too)

Edited by TehPW

Exactly. I think everyone should put up their opinions and arguments. It's when we start to try to convince each other that we start to go nowhere. I've said what I thought about the story, but at the same time, if someone else loved the movie, I don't want to take away the experience that they paid for with good money, (unless it's a Micheal Bay film, then you're just plain insane! :lol:)

The problem isn't that everyone has different opinions, it's the language being used to describe those opinions.

Ergo:

Danth thinks Prometheus sucks: I may disagree, but I'm cool with that.

Danth thinks Prometheus objectively sucks: WTF is objectively doing in that statement?! (who cares about the opinion)

Edited by sketchley

Danth has the right to think that his opinion is objective and he can also say that to egg you into arguing why you would disagree, which I guess is working in this case.

Also, I'm the only one saying that there's no need to convince each other to accept their opinion, as far as I know, the majority of people that post on movie threads ALWAYS try to convince each other that their opinion is crap.

I watched this in 3D on Sunday. It was a totally fun ride with a few great moments. Unfortunately it ramps up the implausibility more and more as we get toward the end (to be expected I suppose) but that makes it easy after the credits have rolled to start looking at the movie start to finish and say "Wow, that was pretty terribly written." I asked my brother (who went to the theater with me) nearly all the questions in that Red Letter Media youtube file on the car ride home. I also was wondering why Vickers has a med pod only suitable for men in her little assylum area... why? Some of the questions I understand can't be answered because mediocre writers were taking a stab at symbolism. Would a society that can build life and travel all the universe really need to rely on a mechanism that required suicide? No, there's clearly an effort at symbolism in play there. So, I certainly don't NOT recommend this film because it was fun but boy, does it also seem like a horrible missed opportunity in hindsight. With some better writing that made things more cohesive and plausible while fleshing out the characters better this could have been epic. Instead it was just a fun popcorn flick.

Alright, so here's where I think they should have gone... PROTOCULTURE! C'mon, it could have been cool. The Space Jockeys were having a civil war... yadda yadda yadda. Do I still need spoilers? Here we go:

For me, the biggest let down is the scene with the Space Jockey. First, the preview kind of gives away where they're going with it. Second, what kind of super advanced humanoid would react that way? There isn't even an effort made in this movie to give any semblance of reason to the Space Jockeys. It's like the Space Jockey could be a Queen alien... just a pissed off over-sized insect with a bit of problem solving skills. The movie created a way of inserting exposition via security footage that created 3d representations of events.... I'm guessing a few scenes that tied things together got edited out. Then, when the alien's space ship crashes, he goes all Friday the 13th instead of just walking to the next available spaceship and nuking them all from orbit? Again, super advance humanoids are stupid and filled with rage? It just doesn't make sense.

LOL moment when the girl with lascerated abs does a pull up... nice!

Danth has the right to think that his opinion is objective and he can also say that to egg you into arguing why you would disagree, which I guess is working in this case.

Though that may be true, his word use herein implies a lesser command of the English language, indicating the possibility that he didn't like the movie simply because he didn't understand the big words that were used in it.

Though that may be true, his word use herein implies a lesser command of the English language, indicating the possibility that he didn't like the movie simply because he didn't understand the big words that were used in it.

wow... ok lets end the arguement before it goes nuclear (since brainy smurf nuked best :lol: )

Oh please... that's just another case of he who posted last. I saw it and thought it was lame... he complains about some word that he disapproves the use of and tries to win an argument with a silly baseless attack that's guilty of the same exact thing that I supposed that Danth might be guilty of. In all honesty, why even bother attacking grammar? It's the internet. English isn't always the first language. Argue or discuss the movie, don't just insult each other.

Alrighty you guys want fun with grammar and the english language?

Analien: In Space No One Can Hear Your Ream

Analiens: This Time It's Whore!

Analien 3: Doggystyle

Analien Wrecktherectum

Analien Vs Penatrator

Analien Vs Penatrator Rectum

Pumpmeinthis: The search for the gangbanging may be our rear end

:p

Objectively bad just means a reasonable, unbiased person would watch the movie and pick out all the poor plotting the same way Red Letter Media did. I didn't mean objective in the ontological sense!

Anyway, I may not understand big words, but I still wouldn't take off my damn helmet while on a strange planet!

I just have to say they were some of the worst scientists ever. they were touching everything immediately and just randomly opening doors. Im surprised they were not putting stuff in their mouths just because for research.

That brings to mind the scene with the two lost scientists who encountered the white-snake things; they're on an unknown planet with never before seen creatures and what do they do? They try to pet the things that are hissing at them? Yeah ok, lol...

I also was wondering why Vickers has a med pod only suitable for men in her little assylum area... why?

Because

the medpod isn't for her. Her old man Weyland was secretly onboard, remember? ;)

And I thought the same as you about the Engineer's reaction when he wakes up. But then it could be becase of what David tells him just before he goes beserk and rips his head off. Then the Engineer goes after Shaw for whatever reason and who warns Shaw again? I think there are other things that were hints about his motivations like when he says that every child wants to destroy his parents.

So it has been confirmed that there will be 30 minutes of cut scenes on the bluray, I can't wait to see what is hiding in there!

Edited by Frogze

And also

Vickers is definitely a robot so she doesn't even need a medpod, she has probably faked dying stupidly before Shaw at the end of the movie just to be making a shocking comeback in Prometheus 2 :lol:

I think the captain, would've known if she were an android. But, it's interesting because he did make a point about it.

Well, that is never referenced again and we never find out if he did or not. Plus she was never sweating during the action scenes - Shaw was. Look at the vid I posted before - some intersting points to think about. Personally, I think she'll show up in Prometheus 2.

Because

the medpod isn't for her. Her old man Weyland was secretly onboard, remember? ;)

And I thought the same as you about the Engineer's reaction when he wakes up. But then it could be becase of what David tells him just before he goes beserk and rips his head off. Then the Engineer goes after Shaw for whatever reason and who warns Shaw again? I think there are other things that were hints about his motivations like when he says that every child wants to destroy his parents.

Are we still suppose to put spoiler tags? It's been out for 2 weeks.

Yeah, it's Weyland's medpod. Vickers wasn't really suppose to come on the journey. She just occupied her fathers living quarters to keep herself from the rest of "the help."

Maybe he said

That girl tried to put a dragon tattoo on your penis but when she looked under your diaper she just laughed and winked at everyone else.

in engineer speak.

And also

Vickers is definitely a robot so she doesn't even need a medpod, she has probably faked dying stupidly before Shaw at the end of the movie just to be making a shocking comeback in Prometheus 2 :lol:

But then Weyland says that he was surprised to see that she came after all. Are we to believe that these robots have the free will to choose what to do? And if she was a robot, why was she such a disappointment to Weyland.

It's the little open ended questions like that that didn't really sit well with me. It wasn't that there was great scientific or mysteries of life questions that we left the theatres with. It was things like..

<p>Why did Weyland pretend he was dead?</p><p>Why did Vickers hide the fact that she was his daughter?</p><p>Why was Shaw's boyfriend so easy to give up on the engineers? Didn't he think there would be more than the ones on what is obviously a satellite facility and not their home planet?</p><p>Why did the worms in the beginning destroy the body of the engineer, but infected the males humans and turned them into beserkers? But when it enters Shaw, it becomes an impregnation?</p><p>In Alien when the organism enters any humans it uses the body to gestate, it doesn't impregnate. Especially in a miraculous way, since Shaw is barren. David clearly says that she was pregnant, even three weeks pregnant, as in one of your eggs have been impregnated with sperm. Are we suppose to think that there's a grand plan or the worms somehow can dictate destiny?</p>

Those are just story points.

I was one of those that rented Aliens over and over because I was just too young to be taken to the theatres. And while watching that movie even though there were questions, a lot of it served the story so it paid off. There was no, "wait for the sequel" questions. They were just mystery that expanded the universe. It's just like when Obi Wan says that Luke's Father was a great fighter pilot. It expanded the story for us to feel that there's history and maybe some unfinished business for Obi Wan. I didn't ask myself, "what did he pilot?" 'Where did he pilot to and from?"

Again there was purpose to every mystery:

Who was the space jockey? = Obviously he was the pilot of the ship and an evidence that there's more than just earth beings in the galaxy (before we meet the xenomorphs). His place there was to warn the audience that whatever they find, it can take out huge mofos easily.

What's with the hole on his chest? = part of the warning and foreshadows chestbursting scene.

Who turned on the signal? = Weren't we led to assume that someone in the Weyland Yutani corp turned that on? Because Ash knew exactly what his mission was when they got to LV-426.

Other than those questions there wasn't any lingering things that screwed up Alien for me. It was very self contained. In fact I've always thought it was Ridley Scott's most solid movie, even though I put BladeRunner over it. I have more questions about Bladerunner than I do about Alien, and even then Bladerunner is still a self contained story where everything introduced was paid off by the end.

I'm also surprised that people still fall for that, this movie is just made to set up the sequel spinned by the studios. They always say that when they start to get worried about their movie. And most of the time they never make that sequel. they said that about Brian Singer's Superman, about Green Lantern and a dozen of other giant ultra expensive movies. the only ones that do get a sequels are the ones that make the money and guess what? The next one make as much sense as the one before. The last 2 Verbinski Pirates, Transformers, The Alien Franchise.

I do agree that this movie will become a classic though. I think of the things some people say they enjoyed as kids and they consider classics and I'm kinda surprised. Things like Captain Planet, Sid and Marty Kroft stuff, Small Wonder, The Rocky Horror Picture Show. I mean Prometheus is no where as bad as these things but I'm just saying, things become classics for whatever reason. I myself like Ridley Scott's Legend, who am I to judge.

I was never bored with this movie, I was just very unimpressed with the story. I do want to see it again, not to better understand it. It's not like I DIDN'T understand it. I got what they were trying to tell. I just want to watch it for the technical marvel it is.

I think the captain, would've known if she were an android. But, it's interesting because he did make a point about it.

Well, that is never referenced again and we never find out if he did or not. Plus she was never sweating during the action scenes - Shaw was. Look at the vid I posted before - some intersting points to think about. Personally, I think she'll show up in Prometheus 2.

but why hide the fact that she is one only to be obvious about it?

I feel like the captain was just trying to get laid. Plus Vickers would screw up the alphabetical naming pattern each robot has in every flm... her name shoulda been Francene... :lol:

Vickers can't be a robot if for no other reason then how poorly over-acted the "Father!" line was. Jeebus... the last thing this film need was a Vader storyline. Besides, her not being a robot is the only thing that makes her jealousy of David work.

Sorry I didn't put 2 and 2 together on that Med pod. I guess it does make sense now (overlooking the whole super advanced piece of machinery that can only work for one sex or another).

I think an unedited version of this movie could make a TON more sense (but really make me hate the original editor). Just a couple sentences here or there could really have helped glue things together. Obviously there are meant to be scenes of a young Weyland. Maybe there's a scene where someone building David expresses some concern about him having psychotic tendencies only to have Weyland brush those concerns off saying that David just has an over-abundence of curiosity coupled with a lack of human morality. Maybe we could have a scene of the biologist using a tricorder and telling everyone that there's no presence of airborne pathogens before everyone starts popping off their helmets. Maybe they inexplicably cut the two second scene where the medpod sprays nano-machines into the open abdominal wound. And I'm still hoping we get some sort of reasoning behind why the Jockeys are so angry.

Did the Space Jockey fall dead right in front of the door only to then have the door come down and decapitate him? Or did the space jockey actually get killed by the door?

Sorry I didn't put 2 and 2 together on that Med pod. I guess it does make sense now (overlooking the whole super advanced piece of machinery that can only work for one sex or another).

Not that it can only work for one or the other, in the movie, I'm pretty sure it says it's only calibrated for male. I take this to mean it was specifically calibrated for use on extremely old men (weyland) and had such supplies and drug and instruments that may be needed for age and gender specific procedures. They most likely have (11 others :D) ones that are calibrated for children or women too.

To explain my biggest pet peeve another way: it seems like you have to take/watch a bunch of "prerequisites" just to fully appreciate/understand the film.

It's a bit of a bad sign when you have to tell someone (before they watch the movie), "Oh, you should really check out this made-up timeline they did for the movie's Weyland Corporation." "You should watch this made-up speech Peter Weyland gave at the TED conference." and "You should probably check out these videos of the David android."

The film is lacking on its own, as a stand-alone movie.

On another topic:

I guess the Stupidity Geneâ„¢ was passed from the Space Jockeys onto humans. :lol:

* Hey! The atmosphere in here is breathable, let's take off our helmets!

* We were smart enough to head east when the lifesigns indicate something west of us, but you know what? Let's play around with the vagina-faced cobra that just popped up.

* Crap a big ass ship is about to fall in my general direction! Maybe I should move laterally, so it's less likely to crush me.

* So, I have extra ships and I might have technology to scan the surface and that lifeboat of lifesigns. Screw that, I'm a Space Jockey! I'm just gonna go down there and kick some ass!

* Can't really call the Captain stupid for leaving his post to screw Charlize. But not having someone there to take his place at the bridge and keep an eye on the stranded crew members? That was stupid.

Maybe I'm missing something but I don't understand the purpose of the "bio-weapon" that the Engineers had to possibly deploy to Earth; if you are an advanced race of beings why bother with a bio-weapon? Why not just lay waste to the planet with ray-guns, borrow some Planet Bombs from the Gamilons or something? Further, if you allow a bio-weapon like the xenomorphs to run loose on the planet wouldn't that make it dangerous for everyone anyway?

The directors cut on the Bluray is rumoured to be at least half an hour longer.

You need to stop listening to rumors. Ridley Scott states that the extended cut on Blu-ray will run about 20 minutes longer. He specifically calls it an extended cut, and states that what we saw in the theater was his director's cut.

you're right EXO, screw spoiler tags

Maybe he said

That girl tried to put a dragon tattoo on your penis but when she looked under your diaper she just laughed and winked at everyone else. in engineer speak.

LOL!

as no one else could understand what David said, and his "every child desires to destroy his parents" words are really pointing that he said something that was really meant to cause this reaction from the engineer. I'm still wondering what it could have been though... maybe you're right about this one :lol:

But then Weyland says that he was surprised to see that she came after all. Are we to believe that these robots have the free will to choose what to do? And if she was a robot, why was she such a disappointment to Weyland.

Free will, yes of course they have! They have IA, but it doesn't mean they are puppets, they're actual beings. I can remember a couple of scenes with David who gets offended about some other characters regarding him as a simple machine.

Vickers and David have totally opposed reactions, which may also explain why she is such a disappointment to Weyland.

He might have created her as his perfect woman, but as he grew old and viagra didn't work anymore he just lost interest in her and wanted to have a son-like creation which is where he created David, who as opposed to Vickers is made to be curious and daring (like Weyland himself).

Maybe I'm missing something but I don't understand the purpose of the "bio-weapon" that the Engineers had to possibly deploy to Earth; if you are an advanced race of beings why bother with a bio-weapon? Why not just lay waste to the planet with ray-guns, borrow some Planet Bombs from the Gamilons or something? Further, if you allow a bio-weapon like the xenomorphs to run loose on the planet wouldn't that make it dangerous for everyone anyway?

I think they are not trying to "destroy" mankind, the black goo is a genetic rearranger which destroys to create a new form, like the worms that turned into the weird snakes or the engineer at the beginning. They are like clay sculptors, they try to turn their creation they're unhappy with into its primitive shape in order to rebuild it in a more satisfying form

It's strange how people around me either loved it or hated it.

I'm by no means trying to convince anyone that this was a great movie, or that every bit in it makes sense or should make sense. And I understand why people think this movie is a failure story-wise.

Personnally, I've left the theatre with many pleasant memories of the onscreen fun and lots of discussions about the stuff that seemed strange or silly afterwards, trying to sort out things that made some sense. I really like that this movie makes me ask myself why this or that, and strangely it's also what the movie is all about too :lol:

Also did anyone understand what was represented on the "Sistine Chapel" kind of painting the scientific team finds on the ceiling where the metal urns are stored? I also think the painting changed in a creepy way when the cylinders started leaking...

Edited by Frogze

Anyone else just want to see an Engineers vs Colonial Marines war movie now?

I'd be so down for it.

Prefer to see an "Engineers Vs. the Protoculture" war film.......

Or Zentradi Vs Aliens as a film. (How cool would THAT be!)

Edited by taksraven

but why hide the fact that she is one only to be obvious about it?

I feel like the captain was just trying to get laid. Plus Vickers would screw up the alphabetical naming pattern each robot has in every flm... her name shoulda been Francene... :lol:

Alien resurrection the android was named Annalee call.

med-pod. I don't think it would matter if was male or female if you had a laceration on your shoulder and needed treatment. but the pregnancy thing. yea. that would matter.

Edited by BeyondTheGrave