YAMATO

izzyfcuk

Just random thoughts in my head, no way m i bashing them.

1/48 ERA

Pretty much the revival of macross for us colletors. i still rememebered that when the first 1/48 prototype was shown. Majority of us were like kids in candy store. That was pretty much the beginning of a buying frenzy, i had absolutely every piece. Some of us were buying doubles, triples, switching heads and wings around to have a MAX 1S. We probably literally thanked God for answering our prayers of a modern day perfect transformation valkyrie. Eventually i sold them all.

1/60 ERA

Nothing much for me to say here, never like it since the legs needed to be detached

REPAINT

After the 1/48 kinda stabilized, we started to see repaints coming in, expending the mold as much as possible. this is understandable from a economics of scale perspective.

1/60 V2.0 ERA

Basically turning everything that's 1/48 to 1/60, of course with improvements and i must give credit to them. but however by now im basically sick and tired of them. im just getting te Super O and Elintseeker, after that it's bye for me

PRESENT DAY

EXCLUSIVE/LIMITED -What's so exclusive about Yamato's macross? 3 times reissued weathered Roy 1S, TV MAX and KAKIZAKI, Fan Racer. Why called it an exclusive if you not gonna stop doing it? With the news of weathered 1J. it's just a matter of time everything gets the weathered treatment. i had the chance to own all the so called exclusives before, not once but several times over and im glad i did pass on, since the weathered 1J proved that this is still in motion. so how many more valks to go?

CLUB EXCLUSIVE - Now this bothers even more, everytime i see an club exclusive being announced, it turns to junk and readily available via several avenues what's so special about it? clearing old stock by repainting them by random workers?

QC - The most prominent, My 1/48s were practically all showing signs or turned yellowed. markings on 25th anniversary were wrong, Tab B broken, Shoulder hinge broken. after all these years, they still can't get it right?

Why kill off something that you have made good and tell me why should i still buy yamato macross?

What's your take?

Edited by izzyfcuk

Yes, the 1/48s are yellowing on mine as well, most notably on my VF-1J. the difference between the heatshield and the surrounding "white" plastic is getting steadily bigger... and if you are wondering if it has been exposed to direct sunlight? No. It was hiding under its GBP-1S most of the time.

Does anyone have pics of a yellowed stealth or lv1? I know colored plastic can yellow but I was wondering what my stealth and lv will look like one day.

Yes, the 1/48s are yellowing on mine as well, most notably on my VF-1J. the difference between the heatshield and the surrounding "white" plastic is getting steadily bigger... and if you are wondering if it has been exposed to direct sunlight? No. It was hiding under its GBP-1S most of the time.

My 1/48 VF-1S has a yellowing chest plate :(

Yamato toys vary from greatness to full on suckitude. I'm glad I drastically reduced the pilots whose planes I would purchase a long time ago. I'm guessing this global recession is going to really nail the toy hobby eventually and interesting things will come of it (besides toys we really want being cancelled).

Why kill off something that you have made good and tell me why should i still buy yamato macross?

What's your take?

If they ain't making what you want, then just don't buy.

Personally, I've already reached a saturation point with the VF-1 Valks. I'm sure the 1/60 V2's are solid as heck, but I'm cool with the 1/48's I already own. Nothing against the V2 1/60's, mind you.

But I'm just not driven to collect them.

Now if Yamato made Regults or a TV-style SDF-1?! . . . :)

I also wouldn't mind if they tried a few variations or new designs from the Zero, Plus, 7, and other Macross lines. But we'll see what the future holds. At the very least, Yamato is listening to the fans and releasing the remaining two-seaters relatively soon. I know a number of folks have be clamoring for those two-seaters for YEARS now.

Just random thoughts in my head, no way m i bashing them.

1/48 ERA

Pretty much the revival of macross for us colletors. i still rememebered that when the first 1/48 prototype was shown. Majority of us were like kids in candy store. That was pretty much the beginning of a buying frenzy, i had absolutely every piece. Some of us were buying doubles, triples, switching heads and wings around to have a MAX 1S. We probably literally thanked God for answering our prayers of a modern day perfect transformation valkyrie. Eventually i sold them all.

1/60 ERA

Nothing much for me to say here, never like it since the legs needed to be detached

REPAINT

After the 1/48 kinda stabilized, we started to see repaints coming in, expending the mold as much as possible. this is understandable from a economics of scale perspective.

1/60 V2.0 ERA

Basically turning everything that's 1/48 to 1/60, of course with improvements and i must give credit to them. but however by now im basically sick and tired of them. im just getting te Super O and Elintseeker, after that it's bye for me

PRESENT DAY

EXCLUSIVE/LIMITED -What's so exclusive about Yamato's macross? 3 times reissued weathered Roy 1S, TV MAX and KAKIZAKI, Fan Racer. Why called it an exclusive if you not gonna stop doing it? With the news of weathered 1J. it's just a matter of time everything gets the weathered treatment. i had the chance to own all the so called exclusives before, not once but several times over and im glad i did pass on, since the weathered 1J proved that this is still in motion. so how many more valks to go?

CLUB EXCLUSIVE - Now this bothers even more, everytime i see an club exclusive being announced, it turns to junk and readily available via several avenues what's so special about it? clearing old stock by repainting them by random workers?

QC - The most prominent, My 1/48s were practically all showing signs or turned yellowed. markings on 25th anniversary were wrong, Tab B broken, Shoulder hinge broken. after all these years, they still can't get it right?

What's your take?

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=30963

I wonder what is in your environment that is causing your plastics to yellow for those of you that have yellowing plastic.

Like what other factors care causing it if it's not necessarily sunlight. Could it be caused by pollutants in the air or something? Ambient temperature and humidity?

I have 1/48s back when they were originally released some in display and a couple boxed and neither show any signs of yellowing.

The 1J I have is as pristinely white as the day I got it. I now keep all my valks in detolfs, but originally for a couple years, I had a bunch of them just displayed on open shelves that would have some indirect sunlight reflected onto them during a certain time of day.

I live in northeastern part of the US and so the conditions vary greatly between cold and dry to hot and humid. I do live in the suburbs though so if air pollution is a factor for yellowing, I probably have very little of it.

Going back on topic, I think I feel the same way as a few people here where I'm tired of all the VF-1s. I STILL haven't convinced myself to buy one of the 1/60s yet. My only motivation to get one is just to have one in scale with the other 1/60 mecha.

I'm not really complaining though because they find time to work on putting out the other valks including taking chances on some of the more obscure ones.

I'm glad that Yamato is generally improving both QC and just the overall quality of the products. My own experience with Yamato's Macross stuff has been pretty good.

As far as Yamato is concerned, other than the yellowing, I have no other real concerns, not even the osteoporisis stricken 1/60 v2s. I can easily fix that.

I've said this a few time, and I'm gonna say it again: I am seriously grateful that I am able to purchase valks that are more or less faithful to the line art. In fact, I just don't see any other company that will give us the Valks that yamato has given us. Not just 1 - 2 valks, but ALMOST the full gamut of the "canon" valks as seen on TV.

During those days from 1992 - 2000 (during those days where internet was almost non existant or not mainstream) , I have tried my darnest best to look for valks, but the closest I could find were the re-issue model kits that bandai was putting out. No chunky monkeys to be found anywhere.

It was only somewhere in 2000 (or 2001), that I chanced upon BOTH the 1/55 re-issue and the then newly released 1/60 v1. I had a hard choice choosing between the 2 (I was just an University student with very little allowance). In the end, I've chose the new 1/60 v.1 simply because it looked closer to the line art. I've never looked back since.

Then came the announcement of the 1/48. Whoa! That was a time of excitement for all of us! None of us had expected that Yamato would re-visit the VF-1 in 1/48 glory, and with amazing accuracy to the line art! Then came the repaints/ exclusives... for me, I would only buy those that i want , it really doesn't matter what they released. I know that i did not need to get everything. More releases simply meant us fans have got more choices. I mean, if you did not want the plain jane version of the Focker's 1S, you can get the weatherd version. Standard GBP-1S too flashy? go for the urban camo version of the armor!

Just when I though that it couldn't get any better, the new 1/60s v2 came along. I welcomed them, because it was a marked improvement over the old versions, even though it cost me quite abit and counting.... yeah, I understand that some of us might be feeling kinda sick of the the numerous VF-1s put out over the last few years.... For me, I'm enjoying every moment of it because: Yamato can't be putting the VF-1s out indefinitely. They'll move on one day. So to me it is to enjoy it while it lasts. besides, it the probably the only line where I can have the full gamut of canon valks (non canon too) with accuracy that we can only dream of as a kid!

As for some of the durability issues, yeah, I've gotta agree that they can be quite annoying, but I treat them as display pieces more than toys, so no issue for me.

So anyway, Yamato, as far as i'm concerned, though having loads of room for improvement in terms of QC/ material selection, has really served the fandom well. At least I know that it has for me. No longer will I have to wandar around fruitlessly searching for Macross in vain, and I'm very thankful for that. :)

Yamato has brought me back to the toy community...

Before the 1/48 valks, I probably haven't bought any toys (except video consoles and games) for around 20 years. There were some model kits, but that should be under 2 dozens (again, in 20 years).

I may grow tried of the toys too some day, but for the moment I still admire their products.

on the question about yellowing, the 1/48 I have that is yellowing was purchased second hand. In my posession it's be in a cool dark environment with little sunlight (mostly in storage). I have a few other 1/48s that show no signs of yellowing yet including a Hikaru 1J and LV1. The V1 1/60s yellowed pretty bad pretty quick, obviously no problems yet on the V2.

I think the valkyrie are great.

Given how well Yamato has done making some VFM figures, I'd really love it if they expanded their Macross line with poseable VFM Macross characters.

I see little point in discussing the valkyrie as such since we pretty much know everything there is to know. Yeah, some people might be looking forward to some future variants, but the basic design is there and either you like it or you don't for any number of reasons.

What is sorely lacking on the market is Macross poseable figures. Bandai giving us Alto in armor is going to be a treat; but that's a big expensive figure. It would be nice to have smaller...well...ok...VFM is also expensive...

Err... but... anyways...nice poseable figures a la Fraulein or Figma would be nice.

Pete

I think the valkyrie are great.

Given how well Yamato has done making some VFM figures, I'd really love it if they expanded their Macross line with poseable VFM Macross characters.

I see little point in discussing the valkyrie as such since we pretty much know everything there is to know. Yeah, some people might be looking forward to some future variants, but the basic design is there and either you like it or you don't for any number of reasons.

What is sorely lacking on the market is Macross poseable figures. Bandai giving us Alto in armor is going to be a treat; but that's a big expensive figure. It would be nice to have smaller...well...ok...VFM is also expensive...

Err... but... anyways...nice poseable figures a la Fraulein or Figma would be nice.

Pete

I hope so too. But given that they are even reluctant to do a Spartan, I have no expectation on Yamato for the figures. Their Votoms pilot figures are very expensive too.

Figma would be great. I'll buy a dozen of them.

I am mostly a display oriented collector and i display my toys rather then constantly play with them. So looks is probably the most important thing to me. And in that department Yamato delivers 200% atleast for me.

I can easily fix a couple of qc issues (Not that i have had many of them) but i can't really fix an ugly design (Bandai DX VF-25)

I own one DX VF-25 and everytime i watch it without the armor i just gets so irritated over how ugly and hideous Bandai designed it in all modes so i can easily live with a few qc issues if it means it looks great.

I also have great respect for all the advanced engineering Yamato have put into some of its VF's (PT heatshield on VF-11 to name one example).

All i can really say is Yamato is not for everyone, but it is for me.

The V1 1/60s yellowed pretty bad pretty quick, obviously no problems yet on the V2.
Only my version 1 Hikaru VF-1A has noticeably yellowed. Even then it's only parts. One wing, one arm and the head I think. Is there really a problem with the whole series? I don't think even my original Roy VF-1S is yellowed. I will say everyone of them I left in battroid for a bit has permanent wide hip stance now though.

The version 1 1/60s may be ugly but none of mine have broke and the finish/QC on them was a lot better then the better engineered and better looking 1/48s IMO.

Overall I believe Yamato is a fairly good company but some of their products are over priced (like the 1/7 Poison Kiss) and others are floppy messes (version 1 Scopedog). They have given me the opportunity to attain some really wonderful merchandise though like the Votoms pilots Fyana/Chirico and my YF-21 and VF-22. Hopefully my M&M VF-1J can be added to the good list when those pre orders are filled.

The climate of where you live can also have a major part of whether it yellows faster or not.

Izzy, as you live in a tropic climate, not sure whether this plays a factor in the yellowing of your valks. The humidity and heat could be a factor of the yellowing.

It can also be due to the batch of plastic they use. The three GQ Impulse Gundam I have, were all stored away from sunlight in their boxes. The Force Impulse turned yellow, while the other two were fine.

So far I don't really have yellowing issues with my Yamatoes, but they are kept in the box or away from direct sunlight.

I am mostly a display oriented collector and i display my toys rather then constantly play with them. So looks is probably the most important thing to me. And in that department Yamato delivers 200% atleast for me.

I can easily fix a couple of qc issues (Not that i have had many of them) but i can't really fix an ugly design (Bandai DX VF-25)

I own one DX VF-25 and everytime i watch it without the armor i just gets so irritated over how ugly and hideous Bandai designed it in all modes so i can easily live with a few qc issues if it means it looks great.

I also have great respect for all the advanced engineering Yamato have put into some of its VF's (PT heatshield on VF-11 to name one example).

That is basically my view as well. I found a few minor issues but they are minor. I know some people can have a hissy fit on these things. I think these might be the same people who have a hissy fit if the toy isn't 100% anime accurate. Sure I believe there has been a some major defects in some versions but I haven't one of these myself.

I kept my 1/48 VF-1S in plane mode for a long time and the whole topside has yellowed quite severely. Flip it over and it's just slightly yellowish.

I kept it in office, exposed to fluorescent lights 24/7. No sunlight is necessary to yellow your toy!

That is basically my view as well. I found a few minor issues but they are minor. I know some people can have a hissy fit on these things. I think these might be the same people who have a hissy fit if the toy isn't 100% anime accurate. Sure I believe there has been a some major defects in some versions but I haven't one of these myself.

I have to agree with the comments here. Most of my collection sits in open glass cubes next to a window. Although the blinds are kept closed and I keep Valks with color closest to the window there are days where sunlight is coming in, but I have not experienced any yellowing on any of my Valks (knock on wood...knock knock!). Mind you I have only been collecting since January 2008 so most of my stuff is fairly new, but never played with; only displayed. I think what initially drew me to the Yamato brand of Valks was the innovation and accuracy of the "toy". Since learning more about the hobby I have seen that models make the toys look like; well toys, but they are still magnificent to look at.

There are those that like to display their toys and rarely play with them and those that play with them alot.

Both obviously have different needs and wants from a toy.

Hey maybe Bandai and Yamato should join forces, Yamato designs the VF's and Bandai builds them. That way you get the best of both worlds. Fantastic looking VF's with rock solid QC! :lol:

Yamato brought us a new detailed version of the VF-1 with their original 1/60 line in 2001. We didn't have any real options other than the chunkies (vintage, bootlegs, etc.) and a line of nostalgia before then. Bandai put out M7 valks, but they always seemed like kid toys to me while Yamato was aiming at the mature collector. Yamato's M+ valks seem crude by today's standards, but were revolutionary at the time.

They took the game to a whole new level with the 1/48 valks and really hit a home run with collectors. The popularity and cash proceeds allowed them to revisit the M+ line and do it right. Now we have a revised 1/60 VF-1 line and they're milking it for all it's worth. Being a for-profit business I can't fault them for trying. We finally get to see quality two-seaters at the very least. The current economic situation and a general over-saturation of VF-1 toys hasn't stoppped them too much (but production for these toys must be planned well in advance). By now all of the canon valks have been produced in 1/60 v2 and now the only options left are very obscure, weathered, and non-canon (all will probably be relatively limited).

I would collect everything they offer if money weren't an issue. It's probably a holdover from the drought years when no new Macross toys were produced and a new bootleg was big news. Back then we hoarded anything we could find. Despite all the various iterations and one-offs the excitement still hasn't died down for me. We're all incredibly lucky to have the opportunity to buy the valks we love in one form or another.

Any Toy that cost $100 on average automatically goes under display to me. Even if the QC is top notch a high ticket item is just going to have those extra tiny pieces that are prone to breaking. Even If nothing breaks your fingers are going to eventually rub off paint or stickers through play.

They are an ambitious company tarnished by suspect quality control. Their designs have incorporated more durability, but it seems that with every improvement/advancement, something wrong tends to come up. Both the 1/60 YF-21 and SV-51 Nora had predominantly breakage-free releases, bear in mind these are quite complex toys, but the simpler, 1/60 V2 VF-1 had it's share of breakages early on. It's been rectified now, but I'm surprised that the potential breakages were not caught onto before release, during play testing.

Aside that Yamato has been on a better streak compared to recent years. The main thing holding buyers back from the VF-11B isn't the quality control but the price. The V2 VF-1 is the best modern VF-1 toy in my opinion, more toyetic yet retains a lot of detail, you can definitely feel the difference between it and the 1/48. Both are great toys but the V2 1/60 feels better to handle. I don't care about the priest collar, the toy looks great as is to me.

If anything, Yamato is a company that outdoes themselves every few years. Compare the v2 1/60 to the v1 and there is a HUGE difference. Even compared to the 1/48 the v2 sports come superior qualities.

I think Yamato is a good company for the most part. I haven't had a total dud Valkyrie or Macross product yet. The worst being a broken leg flap on a 1/72 YF-19. Oh wait...I take that back. The 1/72 VF-11B that had both legs break at the hips was the worst. I bought 2 of those. Since I didn't open the other one, I sold it on eBay. I don't understand how Yamato didn't catch that before going into production. Those legs broke off effortlessly. I guess the material had probably weakened and it was too late for Yamato to do anything about it. Still, it sucks that there's no way for them to compensate collectors outside of Japan for damaged goods.

They no doubt have to work on their QC issues on many of their products. I bought a Morrigan statue they put out a few years ago that was molded inproperly. She was molded in a sitting position where her butt was flush against the base and one of her hands was supposed to be the support, but because the flat part of her butt and hand were not level with each other, the statue would lean back. I had to position a cloth under it to keep it balanced. How lame. I sold in on eBay last year and took a hit on my cost for it. I don't buy statues from them anymore unless they are PVC figures that are in the $50-$60 range. I have to say the Tandem Twin and Creators' Labo figures have been great for the most part.

The only Yamato Valk I had yellow on me so far is the 1/60 V.1 VF-1A Hikaru, but that one was molded in very white plastic, so it had it coming, I guess. Still have it, but it's got a set of GBP armor on it.

I hope Yamato continues with the Macross line long enough to see alot of never-before-produced stuff. Of all the anime shows I have seen, I still think the Macross animes have the coolest mecha. I fell in love with Macross the first time I saw Robotech as a kid, and I have been a fan ever since. I applaud Yamato for having progressed with the license and trying to make the mecha as line-accurate as possible in most respects.

I do think that they really need to expand the line beyond mecha or give us enemy mecha and ships as well as some character figures. I think with the success they've had so far, they can be more risky. I don't see why they can't test the waters first by putting out some GN-U figures on some of these to see what the collector reaction would be.

Edited by sidearmsalpha

There are those that like to display their toys and rarely play with them and those that play with them alot.

Both obviously have different needs and wants from a toy.

Hey maybe Bandai and Yamato should join forces, Yamato designs the VF's and Bandai builds them. That way you get the best of both worlds. Fantastic looking VF's with rock solid QC! :lol:

After seeing Bandai's efforts with the DX I wouldn't call their QC rock solid. ^_^