WTF!! A new Battlestar Galactica film is in the works??!&

taksraven

This is really weird and I think it deserves its own thread.

Read this.

http://hollywoodinsider.ew.com/2009/08/13/...alactica-movie/

BSG is about to be reimagined/remade AGAIN! This time with Bryan Singer at the helm!

And its going to be a big screen adventure. I can't say if I think this is good or bad, but it should at least be interesting.

Taksraven

Aargh! They're messing with my head! Scare.gif

The new BSG is still warm - this has got to be the weirdest remake scenario ever. And it says it's based on the original series. I wonder if everyone working on it will be uninfluenced by the new series ...

Big surprise that they are doing this.

Guess the hollywood execs couldn't think of something original to do....heh, heh, heh.

Anyway, will be following this with much interest.

Agreed they will have to work really hard to surpass Ron Moore's BSG.

Graham

Aargh! They're messing with my head! Scare.gif

The new BSG is still warm - this has got to be the weirdest remake scenario ever. And it says it's based on the original series. I wonder if everyone working on it will be uninfluenced by the new series ...

not only is still warm but after The Plan there's supposedly another movie in the works... :lol:

Couldn't be worse than the ending of moore's bsg...

Please no BSG ending spoilers yet, some of us have not had the chance to finish it yet. Be considerate.

Taksraven

Please no BSG ending spoilers yet, some of us have not had the chance to finish it yet. Be considerate.

Taksraven

Oh come on, even I've seen the ending, and I haven't seen the whole rest of the series.

So I guess this means he's not gonna be doing the Superman reboot reboot movie?

If it's good, great but it's going to have to be pretty fraking amazing to compete with the Ron Moore's BSG.

Yup, I'm a little surprised they didn't take the Ron Moore route. It seems like less of a gamble considering the huge following he had with the series, and we know how Hollywood hates to take any risks if they don't have to.

Singer & Tom De Santo were originally going to do a BSG tv series. It was that project never coming to fruition that allowed Ron Moore to come in and give us the series we all know and love.

9/11 Killed Bryan Singers BSG

another article

Yeah, If I remember rightly, (and I probably don't), when the remake BSG went into production, there were two other prospective BSG projects that were rejected. One was an effort from Singer and the other was a project by the man himself, Richard Hatch, to get the show going again.

Taksraven

Well the good news is that we get even more Galactica, Viper and Cylon redesigns. And eventually toys & models.
Can't argue with that! :D

The show's version of Battlestar Galactica had big battleship-type guns, like in a World War II film.
And this is something I'd like to see - not sure if it would work, but it sounds interesting. Edited by Vile

Yup, I'm a little surprised they didn't take the Ron Moore route. It seems like less of a gamble considering the huge following he had with the series, and we know how Hollywood hates to take any risks if they don't have to.

I wish it were a collaboration with Moore make it about the early days of the Galactica during the cylon was or even about loss of kobol and the subsequent colonies

I wish it were a collaboration with Moore make it about the early days of the Galactica during the cylon was or even about loss of kobol and the subsequent colonies

If the story were to focus on those topics, early days of GALACTICA or KOBOL, count me in, otherwise BSG ended for me over a month ago with Edward James Olmos as Admiral Adama and Starbuck as a female Ace pilot turned Angel!! B))

I actually like this idea! :)

Considering it's Bryan Singer though, I'll give him a little benefit of the doubt. He did some great work with The Usual Suspects and X2. However, I really didn't like how over-faithfully he stuck to the original Superman movie mythology in Superman Returns.

. . .Now that I'm thinking about it though, don't we already have a general outline of how this movie's plot will pan out?

* The 12 colonies are at peace or are signing a peace treaty with the Cylons.

* The Cylons sneak-attack and destroy almost all of the colonies and the Battlestars.

* Galactica somehow survives all this.

* Galactica picks up its rag-tag, fugitive fleet.

* The fleet has a minor battle against the Cylons (maybe only one or two basestars).

* Galactica is victorious and plots a path towards Earth.

* BUT the Cylons are in hot pursuit!!!! (And we have GUARANTEED SEQUELS$$$$ if the movie opens up as the No. 1 film for the week! <_< )

Did I miss anything?

Moore's BSG was such a great work that of course, they have to put something completely inadequate beside it. Seriously, are there actually any fans of that capes-and-boots gayness that was the original series? I hope this goes straight to VHS...

Singer & Tom De Santo were originally going to do a BSG tv series. It was that project never coming to fruition that allowed Ron Moore to come in and give us the series we all know and love.

9/11 Killed Bryan Singers BSG

another article

Interesting reads.

It sounds like a fairly interesting concept. . . . . .for a television series.

But I'm not so sure about it as a single movie or triology of movies.

P.S.--Despite coming out during the late 70's, I actually dig the original series' dark-brown-jacket-over-a-tan-uniform look. Wasn't very functional, but it was stylish as hell! B))

I'll go against the flow and say : why not ?

I loved Ron Moore's Galactica. I think it's one of the greatest Sci-Fi series of all time, and I'm eagerly looking forward to Caprica.

That being said I feel there is more than enough room for two Galactica versions to coexiste - especially since well let's be honest BGS 2003 was more of a niche show than a huge public success, so the audience in theatre probably won't know much of Moore's series.

It's pretty clear that the sole reason Universal decided to go this way is because of Abram's Star Trek success - Glen Larson has been trying for over a decade to launch a big screen BSG reboot to now avail, and NOW it happens ? Not a coincidence... and Larson pretty much said so himself a couple of month ago.

But anyway as much as I loved Moore's BSG - I also have fond memories of the original series. Moore's BSG went dark and gritty and it was great - but I'd say there IS room for a lighter more space adventurous Galactica, more akin to the original series, but with the campy and cheesy aspect - much like Abrams did with Star Trek.

Brian Synger is a talented director - and even if I feel he failed his Superman Reboot I'm curious to see what he'll come up with with Galactica

-Sergorn

I actually like this idea! :)

Considering it's Bryan Singer though, I'll give him a little benefit of the doubt. He did some great work with The Usual Suspects and X2. However, I really didn't like how over-faithfully he stuck to the original Superman movie mythology in Superman Returns.

. . .Now that I'm thinking about it though, don't we already have a general outline of how this movie's plot will pan out?

* The 12 colonies are at peace or are signing a peace treaty with the Cylons.

* The Cylons sneak-attack and destroy almost all of the colonies and the Battlestars.

* Galactica somehow survives all this.

* Galactica picks up its rag-tag, fugitive fleet.

* The fleet has a minor battle against the Cylons (maybe only one or two basestars).

* Galactica is victorious and plots a path towards Earth.

* BUT the Cylons are in hot pursuit!!!! (And we have GUARANTEED SEQUELS$$$$ if the movie opens up as the No. 1 film for the week! <_< )

Did I miss anything?

You forgot to include the Pegasus, genius.