Dilema! What should I do?

Skull Hunter

Hey everyone, it's been a while since I've been on the boards. Finally got a chance to get back into Macross, and I'm so tempted to get the new 1/60's version 2.0. The only problem is no money! :ph34r: I have a some 1/48's that I love, but after seeing the new 1/60's I'm thinking of selling all my 1/48's to have money for the 1/60's. The only problem is trying not to lose so much money selling these off. I mean, I shouldn't have too big of a problem seeing that I've transformed each one like twice. They've only been on display and aren't even stickered. Plus, the 1/60's are coming out with so many variations, I'm drooling! I know that they probably won't make anymore valks in the 1/48 scheme anyway. What would you guys do? :wacko:

You should get one first, and compare.

Without having one, i loved the 1/48 more in fighter mode, but saw the big difference in the v.2 1/60 battroid poseability.

Always intended to buy atleast one, and now i like the fighter mode just as good as the 1/48 now..

Main thing is you want the 1/60 v.2 for poseability in battroid/gerwalk, but won't need to sell off all your 1/48 if your a static poser lacking imagination to warrant the swap.

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

If you have to sell.....sell. Just don't get rid of all of them. There is no reason you can't have a couple of 1/48's in your collection. Keep the ones you like sell the rest if you want the 1/60s that badly.

The thing is that I don't really have anymore room for them. They take up a lot of space, and I don't mind trading them in for some 1/60's. I don't mind trading them in for a more complete macross collection on a smaller scale, especially if the 1/60's are more poseable.

Yeah... this is a tough call.

It all depends how many 1/48s you have?

I had four, out of which only two were heros. I sold two and kept two.

Big whoop.

Thankfully I didn't manage to create a huge 1/48 collection and so when the 1/60s came out I focused on them.

If you have a big collection with all the main hero characters like Roy, Hikaru, Max, Kakizake, Milia -- I would say DON'T SELL.

But if you just have a few of them - sell and aim for a big collection of 1/60s.

Pete

i'd been through that situation.. and really, i suggest you get one first.. it'll give you a clearer perspective if those new little valks are good enough for you to dispose your 1/48s. It was just recently when i finally decided to plunge into the v2 1/60s, though i still like the 1/48 VF-1 over it.. but the completist in me compels me to collect the new VF-1s.. i'm trying to limit myself with buying exclusively SDF TV versions, since i have better chances of completing them than the 1/48s without having to buy those conversion parts and have it commissioned or the limited releases..

people who got to see my collection.. think the 1/48 still looks kick ass and expensive, while the new 1/60s really looks more like a toy! ( that's they're opinion.. and i trust feedbacks from people with no inclination to macross as they're more likely unbiased) :D

Edited by MaveRick

Yeah... this is a tough call.

It all depends how many 1/48s you have?

I had four, out of which only two were heros. I sold two and kept two.

Big whoop.

Thankfully I didn't manage to create a huge 1/48 collection and so when the 1/60s came out I focused on them.

If you have a big collection with all the main hero characters like Roy, Hikaru, Max, Kakizake, Milia -- I would say DON'T SELL.

But if you just have a few of them - sell and aim for a big collection of 1/60s.

Pete

Well, I have have a chance to hold a new 1/60 in my hands thanks to my cousin, and I like them very much. So I know what I would be getting. I have eight 1/48's with some nice accessories too. I of course have Roy with Strike fast packs, Hikaru VF-1J with fast packs and GBP armor, an original low vis with an S head and exclusive clear fast pack, and Max and Millia, a Cannon Fodder, the VF-1J Stealth with fast packs, and the 25th anniversary Black VF-1S. Like I said, I have a small place and even less now that my girlfriend has moved in, so I would like to have more with less space. It's such a tough decision!

Well, I have have a chance to hold a new 1/60 in my hands thanks to my cousin, and I like them very much. So I know what I would be getting. I have eight 1/48's with some nice accessories too. I of course have Roy with Strike fast packs, Hikaru VF-1J with fast packs and GBP armor, an original low vis with an S head and exclusive clear fast pack, and Max and Millia, a Cannon Fodder, the VF-1J Stealth with fast packs, and the 25th anniversary Black VF-1S. Like I said, I have a small place and even less now that my girlfriend has moved in, so I would like to have more with less space. It's such a tough decision!

If it's your gf in your portrait, get rid of all toys. Who neeeds them now? :rolleyes:

Seriously, I think you have a good collection there. You may be out of display space, but in terms of storage space you can pack 8 valks quite compactly.

Someday you'll miss them if you sell them... And in fact I doubt if the selling price for 2nd hands would be good enough to worth the trouble these days.

One question though... You said a low vis with S head?? You customized it yourself?

If it's your gf in your portrait, get rid of all toys. Who neeeds them now? :rolleyes:

Seriously, I think you have a good collection there. You may be out of display space, but in terms of storage space you can pack 8 valks quite compactly.

Someday you'll miss them if you sell them... And in fact I doubt if the selling price for 2nd hands would be good enough to worth the trouble these days.

One question though... You said a low vis with S head?? You customized it yourself?

Get rid of my toys? Yeah right! She likes them too, so she's a keeper. ^_^ Yes, a low vis with the original head, and then I bought a S head kit a while back from one of the members here. It's got a blue visor and the paint matches the valk quite nicely. And that's the thing, I don't want to lose too much money on them if I decide to sell them, but I also don't think my wallet can take a new 1/60 collection from scratch without some money coming from somewhere.

Edited by Skull Hunter

Like I said, I have a small place and even less now that my girlfriend has moved in, so I would like to have more with less space. It's such a tough decision!

Sell the girl.

Keep the Valkyrie.

I mean - you really shouldn't have to give up your Valkyrie collection on account of a woman. Just tell her she has a boyfriend who loves his airplanes more than he loves her. Besides - you don't keep your Valks in the kitchen, or on the bed - so how can she possibly take up any more space than those two places?

:)

Pete

Keep tje 1/48s. They won't fetch a high enough price to pay for a set of 1/60s.

Keep them and save up for new 1/60s. Then, you can have a nice, big collection. If you're running out of shelf space, hang them from the ceilings. :lol:

I love my 1/48s because they're so friggin' huge. Twice the size of any Gundam model I have (3 times the HGs), larger than even Jet Convoy, and bigger than any of my Zoids. They have an ominous shelf presence, and are priceless to my collection. I'm even wanting to buy more, though there are a few 1/60s on my list.

So, keep them, and set aside some of your money to buy new 1/60s to ADD to your collection. People always say they're out of space before realizing they have the same amount of floor space as a ceiling. :lol:

Keep tje 1/48s. They won't fetch a high enough price to pay for a set of 1/60s.

Keep them and save up for new 1/60s. Then, you can have a nice, big collection. If you're running out of shelf space, hang them from the ceilings. :lol:

I love my 1/48s because they're so friggin' huge. Twice the size of any Gundam model I have (3 times the HGs), larger than even Jet Convoy, and bigger than any of my Zoids. They have an ominous shelf presence, and are priceless to my collection. I'm even wanting to buy more, though there are a few 1/60s on my list.

So, keep them, and set aside some of your money to buy new 1/60s to ADD to your collection. People always say they're out of space before realizing they have the same amount of floor space as a ceiling. :lol:

Couldn't agreed more...I'm still trying to get my hangs on every possible 1/48 I can...other then those super rare and almost impossible to get.

I had just about all the 1/48s at one point (except a few DYRL paint jobs). Now I just have Roy's 1S, Hik's Super 1J, both LVs, Max's TV 1A, a Super/Strike Stealth, and a 25th anniversary 1S. Crap, that's still a lot of 1/48s. I really hate how much room the 1/48s take up. I'm being much smarter about the new 1/60s though... just getting the ones I absolutely want and think look cool. I've sold my Max, Milia, and Cannon Fodder shrines and that cleared up a ton of room and is saving me a lot of money on all these new releases.

Sell the girl.

Keep the Valkyrie.

I mean - you really shouldn't have to give up your Valkyrie collection on account of a woman. Just tell her she has a boyfriend who loves his airplanes more than he loves her. Besides - you don't keep your Valks in the kitchen, or on the bed - so how can she possibly take up any more space than those two places?

Pete

So am I the only person that sleeps with their valkryies?

Seriously though, keep at least a couple of the 1/48s. Unless you are only focused on getting complete and current sets, you will regret selling them off later.

And the new 1/60s are cheap enough that you can pretty much trade used 1/48s in for them.

I noticed the version 2 1/60 VF1s have a more polished construction and the plastic feels a little better than the 1/48s, but that's about it. Everything else that they improved on the new 1/60 range from negligible to disappointing imo. To this day, I still have most of the 1/48s I started out with, and only one new 1/60 which is, the VF1D. The 1/48s are still king. They are worthy of keeping. With reasonable care, the 1/48s along with the old Takatoku 1/55s, will probably outlast the vers.2 1/60.

Hm... Mr. Chogokin - on the one hand I agree with you. If I had a big collection of 1/48s before the v.2 came out - I'd keep it sure. I mean - other than the lack of the double shoulder joint - the 1/48s are perfect give or take...

But... on the other hand - I don't think the v.2 will vanish into obscurity. I mean - if anything - that'll be the fate of the v.1...

The sculpt on the v.2 is just too perfect, and the dis-attaching cockpits and all the other features are just too awesome.

But yeah - you are right the 1/48 is not going to be something peopel don't want anymore in the future.

In fact, I can see most people going back to their 1/48s collecting after getting the v.2s they want...

Pete

I'm getting my first V2 1/60(VF-1D) from toy-wave. I have all of the V1 1/60 and all the M+ 1/72s. I have been owned by Yamato. I can't sell the old V1 1/60 because I would loose too much money. I have a $x!T load of 1/48s(which I would never sell in a million years) so I'm done. Plus most of the1/60 VF-0's and all the 1/60 M+

I can't afford anymore of this stuff. I may get both TV Max and Kakizaki 60s. This is so unfair, but we would've NEVER had all of this if suckers like me didn't buy every freggin' release. I feel like I've shot myself in the foot... or at least it feels like it. My heart sinks... and drowns...

Sux, cos the new 60's look incredible, at least in the posted pictures.

I feel like I bought an Alpha Romeo....

If storage room isn,t too much of an issue then I say keep ,em.

They have more detail than the 1/60 v.2 (if yamato doesn,t revisit the 1/48,s after the 1/60 v.2 line ,their collectability should be fairly good)

As far as poseability goes, their not really any better than the 1/48,s...sure they have the improved elbow joints etc..but there,s not many new options for posing even with this improvement-just a little more range of motion ,and the legs are exactly the same as the 1/48,s articulation!!!!

I was in the same boat. Owned some 1/48 and some V1 1/60. New standard was the V2. Should I start collecting the V2 and get rid of my other ones? Money was tight so I started selling off other non-Macross Toys. I decide to sale off my V1s. Compared to the 1/48 the V1 are ugly. Before I decide to get rid of my 1/48 I order just one V2. One I ordered was the VF-1D. I never owned that model and it was something different not offered in 1/48 form. I got that, my first V2 the VF-1D yesterday.

The V2 is a great improvement over the V1. The V2 is not a great improvement over the 1/48. It is just different. The V2 seems to have more accurate proportions but the 1/48 is just more detailed. I can't see selling my 1/48s. They are still very good toys. I can't see buying a V2 version of all the VF-1 I own in 1/48th form. Not to mention the V2 is well over priced. Only two types of V2 I will be buying. Those on sale and ones that offer something I don't already own in other scale.

Thanks to everyone for giving their opinions on what I should do. There are so many pros and cons, but in the end, the 1/48's are quite spectacular. I have just about all the ones that I want in my collection.........except the VF-1D. That is the only one that I want because the 1/60 V2 looks so good, especially with the detachable cockpit. I think it's decided. I will keep my 1/48's and try to find either a VF-1D conversion kit or buy one already converted by a member. Anyone out there want to sell their conversion kit or have a decently priced 1/48 VF-1D they want to part with?

I can't afford anymore of this stuff. I may get both TV Max and Kakizaki 60s. This is so unfair, but we would've NEVER had all of this if suckers like me didn't buy every freggin' release. I feel like I've shot myself in the foot... or at least it feels like it. My heart sinks... and drowns...

Don't feel bad. All of the Yamato Valkyrie are awesome for their time. Just like Bandai's chunkie monkeys are.

I think the problem you might be having is that you're immediately thinking how much it will cost you to buy up all the v.2s.

Don't think that way.

Just start with one.

Can you save up for one?

Maybe the VF-1D or the Elintseeker - something special (IMO), or your favorite hero from Skull Squadron?

And don't worry about getting them all quickly, or about "how long is this going to take?" or "where will I get the funds?"

Thinking like that will just make you depressed and lead to a heart attack.

Just get one for now and when you can - try getting another.

Before you know it you'll have a big collection of v.2s without having to sell off your old ones.

I had only ONE version 1 1/60 and the only 1/72s I owned were the VF-11B (broken legs) and the YF-21. Given this fact, it really was NOT a big sacrifice to sell these guys when I did. Same with the 1/48s, as I explained above - which I only got into at the time when Yamato was just gearing up with the v.2 1/60s.

Thanks to everyone for giving their opinions on what I should do. There are so many pros and cons, but in the end, the 1/48's are quite spectacular. I have just about all the ones that I want in my collection.........except the VF-1D. That is the only one that I want because the 1/60 V2 looks so good, especially with the detachable cockpit. I think it's decided. I will keep my 1/48's and try to find either a VF-1D conversion kit or buy one already converted by a member. Anyone out there want to sell their conversion kit or have a decently priced 1/48 VF-1D they want to part with?

I'm glad you're not giving up your 1/48s.

But I would still encourage you to just be patient and get a 1/60 VF-1D.

Why do they all have to be in 1/48 scale?

Pete

I wouldnt sell the 1/48's. I have a couple and couldnt see getting rid of them. I think they look great in all modes and have a nice size to them. I have a feeling people will be wanting the 1/48's again sometime down the road just for their size alone. Unlike the V1 1/60's the 1/48's will still have a following years from now. They are lways going to hold a spot with collectors unless the completely re-do the 1/48's or make a larger scale which wont happen.

There are a couple of figures I never purchased in the past cause of various reasons. Now they're sold out, out of production, and their price on Ebay is rediculous. And I regret it.

Ask yourself, do you really like each and everyone of your 1/48? If you treasure them, then keep them. If not, then maybe sacrifice one to try a V2.

The choice is yours, go for whatever you feel inside and live regret free.