The Transformers 3 Thread--A Michael Bay Thread

Transformers 3  

204 members have voted

1. 1. What would you want in Transformers 3?

• Unicron
    • Dinobots
    • More Triple-Changers
    • Omega Supreme and more Gestalts
    • More robots and less human characters
    • A better actress than Megan Fox
    • Mudflap and Skids blown to pieces
    • A better group of script writers
    • A more competent director than Michael Bay / Zoom the camera out during fight scenes
    • Michael Bay's head on a stake
  2. 2. Will Transformers 3 suffer from the "Third Movie Syndrome"?

• Yes
    • No

My favorite review so far (CAUTION!! SPOILERS ABOUND!! Not that it probably matters, really...):

http://antagonie.blogspot.com/2011/07/vroom-vroom-skrash-kaboom-skree-bang.html

Just read through that lengthy, but good review. Thanks for posting! That bit about product placement is sickening. Hasbro, you suck at making toys, so get your dirty little fingers out of the designs.

I was surprised to see non-GM vehicles in this movie though.

I did not like 3hours that can edit in 15min the only acceptable was the part of final battle of optimus and the design of the ferrari its a shame because I really defender the past movies and expecting a great ending with less humans and more transformers and the convoy was wasted and never seen the fusion with optimus without forgetting that all happen in a single city not even in other state when they are supposed is a worldwide problem <_<

I did not like 3hours that can edit in 15min the only acceptable was the part of final battle of optimus and the design of the ferrari its a shame because I really defender the past movies and expecting a great ending with less humans and more transformers and the convoy was wasted and never seen the fusion with optimus without forgetting that all happen in a single city not even in other state when they are supposed is a worldwide problem <_<

there was only one control pillar, it was the only thing that mattered. It was kind of explained in the movie... over and over and over. And then again, just in case. :rolleyes:

Interesting quote from Don Murphy "What happens next? Certainly not a reboot. We haven't lost the Transformers. They didn't grow up or become expensive like Toby Maguire. I don't know what happens next. I'm pretty sure there will be a second trilogy. I am pretty sure it will kick ass. And I am pretty sure some of you will hate it because it wasn't all bots."

While this isn't certain, it makes sense they'd want to do more, and it makes even more sense not to reboot. Love it or hate it, the Bayverse makes tons of money and there is a group that has become connected to the way these Transformers look and act. For the most part, I'm one of them, I'm not sure they could ever change the look of the Transformers and make them feel as real.

That being said, I don't want them to churn out 3 horrible movies (I know there are those that will argue they already have).

Interesting quote from Don Murphy "What happens next? Certainly not a reboot. We haven't lost the Transformers. They didn't grow up or become expensive like Toby Maguire. I don't know what happens next. I'm pretty sure there will be a second trilogy. I am pretty sure it will kick ass. And I am pretty sure some of you will hate it because it wasn't all bots."

While this isn't certain, it makes sense they'd want to do more, and it makes even more sense not to reboot. Love it or hate it, the Bayverse makes tons of money and there is a group that has become connected to the way these Transformers look and act. For the most part, I'm one of them, I'm not sure they could ever change the look of the Transformers and make them feel as real.

That being said, I don't want them to churn out 3 horrible movies (I know there are those that will argue they already have).

agreed for the most part. I've liked all the TF movies so far and I'd love to see more, I just wonder how they're going to continue now that all of the bad guys are dead. The only thing that makes sense would be to bring in Galvatron, but I think they would really have to do Unicron in that case and I'm not sure how that would work.

Nostalgia Critic's short video review is up.

Poeple should watch the first two reviews to get the style they are done in. A character spinoff was created later to do the short reviews in that style(called Bum Reviews, done by a bum).

TF 1

I love the review for ROTF.

TF 2

Start at 2:26 to get to the real review:

TF 3

In the grand scheme of things, not that many Iconic characters are dead (hell I think the 86 movie killed more in total). They could honestly bring Galvatron (and the whole lot of reformatted bots) in as completely new characters with unique origins. We still have the seekers and the coneheads etc. There are plenty of bots they could snag that already exist to fill the gaps left by deaths over the course of these 3 movies.

Personally I'd like to see Kup fill in the hole left

by Ironhide's death

The human element will always be there, but I personally don't mind that. I would just want new movies to be enjoyable and to not kill Optimus again (I mean really, it seems like Optimus is always getting the crap kicked out of him).

I'm glad that I'm not the only one that caught the homage to the G1 cartoon plots. It seemed that the filmakers directly lifted these plots with little alteration. Though it makes the autobots seem like dicks after their return. How many people had to die before they decided it was now time to reappear. Optimus Prime is the real dick, not Sentinel. Sentinel at least had a motive. What was Primes?

To be fair... people were treating the Autobots like crap in Revenge of the Fallen AND Dark of the Moon. They've been treated as slave labor since the end of the first movie.

The US controls where they go, who they speak to, what they do.

They LIE to the Autobots about matters of extreme importance to both parties.

They APPARENTLY won't even give Ratchet the resources to fix Bumblebee's voice box properly.

And to top it all off, they keep coming into their little robo-labor camp and have the audacity to chew them out over how much trouble they cause by merely existing and politely doing what they're told to do in between savings of the world.

Prime could be understood to be in a little bit of a bad mood.

Besides which, how empathetic IS this Optimus?

He had precious few robotears to shed over the deaths of Jazz, Jetfire, and SPOILERS, after all.

He never seemed particularly bothered by the fact that he sentenced his entire race to extinction by destroying the Allspark, either.

Or even that he DESTROYED HIS PLANET('s burned out husk? Dark seems to think it can be fixed withouit the Allspark, in spite of the first movie's claims) when the space bridge crashed shut on it.

He had a good sulk and a hissy-fit about the Ark, but other than that... he seems pretty cold-hearted.

So... I'm not really convinced this Optimus has much empathy to spare for his fellow sentient beings. If a few million humans is what it costs to get some mother-loving respect, then by all means let the Decepticreeps murder some civilians.

It's not like there aren't plenty of spares to go around. And unlike SOME sentient races, they can always make more squishies.

To be fair... people were treating the Autobots like crap in Revenge of the Fallen AND Dark of the Moon. They've been treated as slave labor since the end of the first movie.

The US controls where they go, who they speak to, what they do.

They LIE to the Autobots about matters of extreme importance to both parties.

They APPARENTLY won't even give Ratchet the resources to fix Bumblebee's voice box properly.

And to top it all off, they keep coming into their little robo-labor camp and have the audacity to chew them out over how much trouble they cause by merely existing and politely doing what they're told to do in between savings of the world.

Prime could be understood to be in a little bit of a bad mood.

Besides which, how empathetic IS this Optimus?

He had precious few robotears to shed over the deaths of Jazz, Jetfire, and SPOILERS, after all.

He never seemed particularly bothered by the fact that he sentenced his entire race to extinction by destroying the Allspark, either.

Or even that he DESTROYED HIS PLANET('s burned out husk? Dark seems to think it can be fixed withouit the Allspark, in spite of the first movie's claims) when the space bridge crashed shut on it.

He had a good sulk and a hissy-fit about the Ark, but other than that... he seems pretty cold-hearted.

So... I'm not really convinced this Optimus has much empathy to spare for his fellow sentient beings. If a few million humans is what it costs to get some mother-loving respect, then by all means let the Decepticreeps murder some civilians.

It's not like there aren't plenty of spares to go around. And unlike SOME sentient races, they can always make more squishies.

I've read a number of reviews that call Prime a d!ckhead for allowing the murder of civilians in order to prove his point, like the Autobots waited until the civilian death toll reached a certain amount before showing up. But that's not the impression I got from the film. I thought the Autobots had just arrived in Chicago when we see them. I mean they were riding the rocket booster when it seperated, and it landed in the ocean. Autobots don't fly and none of them transforms into a boat, which means they walked to Chicago and some of the distance was under water!! once on land I'm sure they transformed into automobiles, but I don't think Optimus Prime or the other Autobots can travel at mach speeds on the road; I think it just took some time to reach the conflict, not Prime just waiting around watching the destruction!! :angry:

I've read a number of reviews that call Prime a d!ckhead for allowing the murder of civilians in order to prove his point, like the Autobots waited until the civilian death toll reached a certain amount before showing up. But that's not the impression I got from the film. I thought the Autobots had just arrived in Chicago when we see them. I mean they were riding the rocket booster when it seperated, and it landed in the ocean. Autobots don't fly and none of them transforms into a boat, which means they walked to Chicago and some of the distance was under water!! once on land I'm sure they transformed into automobiles, but I don't think Optimus Prime or the other Autobots can travel at mach speeds on the road; I think it just took some time to reach the conflict, not Prime just waiting around watching the destruction!! :angry:

As much as I despise Bay's entire franchise, I lost over two hours of my life last night watching the cam (I refuse to contribute to Bay's income), and I agree with aerocombatpilot on Prime not being a dick. It was simply a matter of logistics....Prime loves the fleshlings, even in Bayverse, so I don't think he'd stand idly by to watch people get slaughtered. What does seem out of character is that he would say "Kill". Prior to Bayformers, Prime always had an aire of dignity (not to be confused with snobbery), and he would never lower himself to the level of the Decepticons (at least not in his speech). I dunno, he does seem a little off, but not quite a dick.

This reminded me of this little snippet from cracked:

"Notable for being one of the Transformers in Michael Bay's movie that isn't Bumblebee or Optimus Prime, making him essentially useless, Ratchet developed an extra layer of pointlessness when we found out he was the medical officer.

For a group of robots.

Arguably, any self-aware robot with some spare time and good sense would have skimmed through a few issues of Popular Mechanics or a Reader's Digest DIY home electronics repair book, maybe picked up a cheap set of tools down at Wal-Mart and been pretty much able to handle his own $hit from then on.

Thus, in the only scene in which it seems Ratchet has something to do (which is try to figure out why Bumblebee has lost his voice), he shoots Bumblebee in the face with some kind of laser, confirms the other robot can't talk, and that he ain't doing $hit to fix it.

Ratchet is the Cybertronian equivalent of man boobs."

Edited by Limbo

I haven't watched the first TF movie in a while, but didn't Bumblebee get his voice fixed at the end? I recall him saying like one line in a voice that absolutely did not match what I figured Bumblebee would sound like.

He did say: "I wish to stay with the boy" at the end of TF1. However, my guess it that Bay thought it would be cooler to have Bumblebee talking through the radio so he's been doing it eversince. Maybe they could not find the right actor for Bumblebee, in which case I would pefer that his radio do the talking; especially the radio evangelist: "Raining from the skies in Heaven Hallelujah!!" :)

I vaguely remember that too, did something happen to him in the second movie? I only watched a cam version once so I don't remember how he lost his voice again.

He did say: "I wish to stay with the boy" at the end of TF1. However, my guess it that Bay thought it would be cooler to have Bumblebee talking through the radio so he's been doing it eversince. Maybe they could not find the right actor for Bumblebee, in which case I would pefer that his radio do the talking; especially the radio evangelist: "Raining from the skies in Heaven Hallelujah!!" :)

Was it the Junkions that talked like that? All TV and radio voices?

I think that officially, BB's throat was injured again between 07 and ROTF. :sarcasm: What a coincidence :sarcasm:

I like to think that it works a lot better plot-wise, if he just had kind of a "temporary fix" due to direct exposure to the Allspark and it was gone by the next day.

I vaguely remember that too, did something happen to him in the second movie? I only watched a cam version once so I don't remember how he lost his voice again.

Was it the Junkions that talked like that? All TV and radio voices?

Well, yes and no. They would talk using only phrases from TV and radio, but they had their own voices. Dang, I haven't seen that movie in over 10 years and I STILL remember that stuff!!!! ^_^

I think that officially, BB's throat was injured again between 07 and ROTF. :sarcasm: What a coincidence :sarcasm:

I like to think that it works a lot better plot-wise, if he just had kind of a "temporary fix" due to direct exposure to the Allspark and it was gone by the next day.

I thought he was fixed, but it was a patch job instead of a proper repair, so he continued to use the radio because it hurts to talk.

It's just a shame that there weren't a ton of bots on both sides with their heads ripped apart that could have been used for voicebox parts. Also, what good is the Matrix if it can revive dead robots, but not dead voice boxes! You know what? I think Bee just liked screwing with Sam. he could speak perfectly fine through 2 & 3, but he found it hilarious to use the radio.

Edited by Keith

That's actually something I almost forgot about. WTF was with the autobots & their disregard for collateral? The freeway scene alone involved WAY to many "accidental" civillian deaths while the "good guys" were pretty much using them as shields.

The phrase "Heroic Autobots" does not apply here. If you are not Witwicky, you are an ant to them. Instead of saving Shia over and over, they could have done it with some random humans... now that would have been been a surprise.

Ever since Prime pulled a Dirty Harry at the beggining of TF2 I've found the Bayautobots on the douchy side.

It's just a shame that there weren't a ton of bots on both sides with their heads ripped apart that could have been used for voicebox parts. Also, what good is the Matrix if it can revive dead robots, but not dead voice boxes! You know what? I think Bee just liked screwing with Sam. he could speak perfectly fine through 2 & 3, but he found it hilarious to use the radio.

No, it's because he's a malingering co-dependent who feigns being mute in order to garner sympathy and attention.

I laughed pretty hard when that line came up, but I was the only one in a sold out IMAX. I don't know if the link was just lost on everyone, or just no one saw the humor of using a classic Nimoy line.

I also found it interesting that the two little Autobots...Wheelie and Brains, were watching Trek early in the movie and one pops off with "This is the one where Spock goes crazy". Interesting bit of foreshadowing.

Edited by kaiotheforsaken

The phrase "Heroic Autobots" does not apply here. If you are not Witwicky, you are an ant to them. Instead of saving Shia over and over, they could have done it with some random humans... now that would have been been a surprise.

Ever since Prime pulled a Dirty Harry at the beggining of TF2 I've found the Bayautobots on the douchy side.

Agreed. The Autobots tended to act more like Decepticons in these movies with Prime having plenty of out of character moments. Somebody brought up a point in one of these threads that the Autobots were pretty hard core when it came to "dealing" with Decepticons but then asked for mercy when captured. Reminds me of the scene in TF:TM when Prime said to Megs "you who are without mercy now plea for it? I thought you were made of sterner stuff."

I laughed pretty hard when that line came up, but I was the only one in a sold out IMAX. I don't know if the link was just lost on everyone, or just no one saw the humor of using a classic Nimoy line.

I also found it interesting that the two little Autobots...Wheelie and Brains, were watching Trek early in the movie and one pops off with "This is the one where Spock goes crazy". Interesting bit of foreshadowing.

I caught the part when Sentinel said Spock's line but I totally glossed over the part of the little bots watching the old episode of Trek. Hell, that might be the only piece of plot in the whole movie! :p

-b.

Agreed. The Autobots tended to act more like Decepticons in these movies with Prime having plenty of out of character moments. Somebody brought up a point in one of these threads that the Autobots were pretty hard core when it came to "dealing" with Decepticons but then asked for mercy when captured. Reminds me of the scene in TF:TM when Prime said to Megs "you who are without mercy now plea for it? I thought you were made of sterner stuff."

I think Bay amped the violence for the movies, much like the original Transformers animated film did the same. On TV the Autobots and Decepticons yelled at each other and shot it out all day long and NOBODY got killed, yet in the first few minutes of the Transformers movie the Autobots are getting wacked right and left! What happen? Did the Decepticons finally create guns that could kill Autobots? No, they did it for the movie; and to sell the new line of Transfomers toys. ^_^

As far as the Autobots killing Decepticons then begging for mercy,the only one I remember asking for mercy was that weird looking scientist Autobot and He probably never did any fighting.

So what happened with the woman who was injured in that stunt? Did she recover? I heard that the reason for re-using The Island footage in a scene was in a way to cover her medical expenses, or maybe just because they didn't get the shots they wanted...

You know what? I think Bee just liked screwing with Sam. he could speak perfectly fine through 2 & 3, but he found it hilarious to use the radio.

I like that theory. This is canon now. No one can convince me otherwise.

I think Bay amped the violence for the movies, much like the original Transformers animated film did the same. On TV the Autobots and Decepticons yelled at each other and shot it out all day long and NOBODY got killed, yet in the first few minutes of the Transformers movie the Autobots are getting wacked right and left! What happen? Did the Decepticons finally create guns that could kill Autobots? No, they did it for the movie; and to sell the new line of Transfomers toys. ^_^

As far as the Autobots killing Decepticons then begging for mercy,the only one I remember asking for mercy was that weird looking scientist Autobot and He probably never did any fighting.

Didn't Megs beg Prime for mercy in the animated movie? I know it was a......deception, haha, but he did it right?

In the DVD extras, it was actually said that they killed off a whole slew of original characters so they could sell new toys. And they also admitted killing off Prime was a huge mistake because of fan-backlash. But I guess all that doesn't really matter anymore.

OK---just went and saw this at an early 10am showing. Saw it in 2D--thankfully. I don't think I could have handled it in 3D. I guess it was good-ish. Better than ROTF for sure. Still to long and drawn out. Liked Nimoy as Sentinal. LOVED Rose Huntington Whatever as eye candy....Megan WHO???? and this chick at least could somewhat act...liked the first part on the moon...liked the last 10 minutes..other than that...meh. :mellow:

Didn't Megs beg Prime for mercy in the animated movie? I know it was a......deception, haha, but he did it right?

In the DVD extras, it was actually said that they killed off a whole slew of original characters so they could sell new toys. And they also admitted killing off Prime was a huge mistake because of fan-backlash. But I guess all that doesn't really matter anymore.

WAITAMINUTE!! DVD extras? What DVD extras? Was there DVD extras? :blink:

Yep, especially if you got the 2 disc version of the animated movie. Hasbro at the time was on a huge kick of killing main characters to bring in new ones, but after Transformers they backed down. Hence Duke was in a comma in Gi Joe when originally he was supposed to die, also something like that was originally planned for Rainbow Brite surprisingly enough but then scrapped.

I caught the part when Sentinel said Spock's line but I totally glossed over the part of the little bots watching the old episode of Trek. Hell, that might be the only piece of plot in the whole movie! :p

-b.

Yep.

And you're 100% correct about the reason behind the "killing" of the older characters.

You're probably right about Einstein-bot, it was hard to tell. I thought Optimus asked Sentinel for mercy, or something along those lines just before or after his arm got lopped off - but with all of Sam's screaming and frenetic action it was hard to keep track of dialogue. :wacko:

-b.