Why the hate for the 1/48's?

ErikElvis

Ive noticed a lot of people prefer the new 1/60's to the 1/48's. How??? I've bought 3 1/48's and love them. Big, plenty poseable, look great, and did I say big? And I just got my flexi display stands and my rick with strike parts looks great with the sprawled out gerwalk going on.

I like that the 1/48 has the proper head position but I dislike the size (especially with all the packaging). The new 1/60s allow a lot more flexibility when it comes to display cases. As an added bonus, the 1/60s have fewer potential problems like wing flaps that fall off or loose airbrakes.

is not hate is evolution

<singing>Anything 1/60 can do, 1/48 can do too......erm, sorta.

gallery_194_63239.jpg

Look, I realize the flaws in the 1/48 (the arms and shoulders that sit too low in fighter mode; the ghastly chicken hands, etc.). But I love the "shelf presence" of the larger 1/48's.

Besides, it kinda bums me that the iconic VF-1 Valkyries get over-towered by the bigger M+ and Zero fighters (when they're all in the same scale).

Ive noticed a lot of people prefer the new 1/60's to the 1/48's. How??? I've bought 3 1/48's and love them. Big, plenty poseable, look great, and did I say big? And I just got my flexi display stands and my rick with strike parts looks great with the sprawled out gerwalk going on.
I don't notice hate. The 1/48 is still revered. The new 1/60 is superior in many ways, but not in every way; despite that, that doesn't make the 1/48 a bad toy at all. It's still quite good.

It is a trade off in a way. The new 1/60 is less durable solely because of the shoulder hinges, and these hinges are not a problem on the 1/48, yet the bp8 which is a potential issue on the 1/48 is not an issue on the 1/60 and has not broken as much as the 1/60's hinges.

The 1/48 remains the biggest, and most detailed valkyrie toy on the market, and until the new 1/60 gets fixed shoulders, the 1/48 is the most durable modern day VF-1 toy. It arguably has the best fighter mode due to the longer nose and I love how the wings have detents. The arms on the 1/48 hang past the legs in fighter mode, and are skinny in battroid mode. The 1/60 lacks wing detents and the nose is not as long(nose didn't bother me though). Also the 1/48 has flaps and removable randome and has a radar. There are somethings that as fans, we could do without and the new 1/60 addresses that. The 1/48 also has more accurate neck placement.

The 1/48 is no slouch, it looks great, and can be played with. The most annoying things for me were the rubber seepage from the hips and the shoulders on mine becoming loose enough that they cannot hold the gun high with one arm. I'm certain this can be fixed.

It's still a popular valkyrie, every now and then etailers get some more in. Even if and when the 1/60 shoulder hinges are fixed, I think it will still be a while before it steps out of the shadow of the 1/48. The 1/48, for the longest time, and arguably even now, is Yamato's most revered VF-1 design.

hate? hardly....I`ve got three 1/48's right now with a fourth on the way(HLJ`s Low Viz II with armor parts deal is just TOO sweet. :D ) but for a coherent airfleet I prefer the 1/60 V.2's and will be slowly replacing my old V.1's over the year...well, once they announce Max and Miria`s VF-1J`s in the new model that is.

I love the 1/48s... to me they signify the line between high def collectibles and just toys. The 1/55s were mighty toys, the v.1 1/60s were kinda upgraded (but no love from me) toys... but once the 1/48s came out it seperated the men from the boys. Whenever a new more detailed higher quality version of a classic toy comes out, I call it the 1/48s of...

The Beagle Mospeada... the 1/48s of Mospeadas

MP Optimus Prime... 1/48s of Optimus Primes

Rohby's SD VF-1... the 1/48s of Joke Machines

The new 1/60s are cool and fun to play with, but their not revolutionary or anything. And the size of the 1/48s just spell DELUXE collectible.

Hate is a bit of a strong word to use on the 1/48. Whether one likes it or not solely depends on preferences.

For me it boils down to battroid mode.

- Does it look good?

- Does it lock together properly?

- And does it have a decent amount of articulation?

And currently the 1/60 v.2 fulfills all those points much better than the 1/48.

Don't believe me? Here is a comparison shot:

post-4055-1240051256_thumb.jpg

1) Upper arms are too long.

2) Chest is too big.

3) Hands are to small.

4) Fuselage nose is too long. (This one really kills the 1/48 for me!)

So why is it that the 1/48 still has plenty of fans? Well because on Macrossworld there seems to be a large base

that solely cares for fighter mode, something the 1/48 excels at with its size and (to me useless) gimmicks.

I don't really understand why, seeing that the battroid was suppose to be the "hook" for the show and not some

slightly futuristic fighter jet. Maybe somebody can share some more insight on this.

I honestly think they 1/48 looks better than the 1/60

the broad chest and long nose cone in Battroid have never bothered me, and I prefer using the fixed pose TV hands anyways. also the 1/48 has correct head placement, stouter legs, better looking nose in fighter mode, and I think the 1/60 has a fat chest. maybe I'm the only one that thinks this but the 1/60 looks pregnant from the side.

at the same time, I think the 1/60 look to (not as good but good) and while it's not as big or overall nice looking. In has better details and they've got variants that I can't get in 1/48 so I'm going to be getting some 1/60's

Edited by anime52k8

<singing>Anything 1/60 can do, 1/48 can do too......erm, sorta.

I would say that not even "sorta."

The 1/60 is superior in terms of what it can do as far as poses, transformation and how it looks.

This doesn't mean I hate the 1/48. It's just been surpassed.

I'm happy to have the ones I do and hopefully won't sell any more of them off :)

Pete

I still love my 1/48s. Now though they are resigned to the shelf and impressive display pieces, I like the 1/60s for better articulation and that fact I can play more with those without things flying off, or FPs scaring me. 1/48 is still king, but the prince 1/60 are just a bit more fun for day to day goings.

I really don't care to much for the scale. My priority is with the SDFM toys. So I have a mix of both 1/48s and 1/60s. It still annoys me to no end that there is no VF-1S Skull-001 TV. I'd buy that immediatly whatever the scale.

I still love my 1/48s. Now though they are resigned to the shelf and impressive display pieces, I like the 1/60s for better articulation and that fact I can play more with those without things flying off, or FPs scaring me. 1/48 is still king, but the prince 1/60 are just a bit more fun for day to day goings.

I have to agree too. 1/60 is more playable, and because of the smaller size, the FAST pack feels much more secure too.

Let's not hate 1/48 or 1/60, just accept that they are different!

I really don't care to much for the scale. My priority is with the SDFM toys. So I have a mix of both 1/48s and 1/60s. It still annoys me to no end that there is no VF-1S Skull-001 TV. I'd buy that immediatly whatever the scale.

What are the differences between the VF-1S Skull-001 TV, and the DYRL version?

What are the differences between the VF-1S Skull-001 TV, and the DYRL version?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the primary differences are:

* The stickers/decals used (especially on the legs);

* The pilot's uniform;

* The arm FAST packs; and

* (Maybe :unsure: ) the arrows on the VF-1S' head.

is not hate is evolution

The 1/48 is still evolving and will continue to evolve. Members who know me and who've seen what can be done to a 1/48 can vouch for its evolution......... for my 1k post I was going to post a picture for an evolved 1/48, but I will leave that for another special time and day. NB4M can also support me on the issue of the 1/48 being baddest mofo ever!

158.gif

But now that you mention it...

Yo! Yo! Check it!

Why all the hate

For the 1 forty 8?

YO!

Be chillin with me homies

Be down with me bitches

Donts Buy da 1:60? HA HA!

Yous gots me in da stitches!

Yo Yo!

All Ays Gots is hate hate

For da 1 fortee 8 - 8 !

Which leads me to my next point... Macross 7Zup Dog!? ... featuring Nekki Bassara as a reinvented hip hop rapper pimpin' it to dem bitches from da protodevlins!

Word!

That's what I'd like to see as the next Macross.

Pete