New Macross Game from Sega for PS2

twich

So. Where is everyone getting their game from?

Maybe there's a retailer than can get a group buy for us?

Maybe a MW'er in Hong Kong, Singapore, or Japan can pick us up some copies? :ph34r:

I'll probably be picking mine up from one of the many console game shops in the Golden Arcade in Sham Shui Po district. They usually get Japanese games on the same day as they are released in Japan.

Actually, my wife is going to be buying mine for my birthday present. Can't believe I'm going to be 34.....arghhhhh!!!!!!! Feel old :(

Graham

Graham, 34????!! Wow, that's OLD! (ducks and runs for cover)

my less than age 30 self just sent payment to NCS for it, don't know if they are going to get it in this week or not. Anyone have ideas on when places in the US will get their deliveries?

I'm only 29!!! but I've got ailments of a 40-50 year old :(

Oh BTW... don't you guys think that it'd be sweet if they include some music from Macross Plus? When I was playing Macross Plus Game Edition, I would always choose 'Alone in the dark' for the background music... it's just awesome bg music for flying your valkyrie! I mean they had DYRL in Macross M3, why can't they mix it up a little?

Since you can choose different valkyries in the game, maybe you can also select your own BGM... we can only dream :-)

3 more days (yay! Actually 2, it's already 21st in Japan :p)

I've been wondering about the in-game engine that they're using for this Macross game.

Apparently it's the engine from their AERO DANCER (sp) series. Does anyone have reviews of this game (that SEGA AM/2 produced)?

:ph34r:

I was gonna order it from amazon.co.jp, but they wouldn't export that!!!

Maybe they would after it's available (pre-order doesn't work).

I tried to buy the Macross Zero DVDs, and it would let me.

Oh well.

I doubt they will, the whole reason for the region coding on DVDs and games is so that only people in the countries where the games and DVDs are released are supposed to play them. Just order the game from a US-based importer, like ncsx.com.

Yay, it's already out here in Hong Kong. That means it's at least a day early. I saw it in several shops during my lunch break today. It's selling for between HK$400 to HK$450 depending on which shop you visit.

Unfortunately, I was in a hurry so I only got to watch the opening animation once, but it looked very cool.

I really had to struggle with myself not to buy it immediately, but as my wife is going to be buying it for my birthday next week, I managed to control myself. It's gonna be a tough wait for me though.

Graham

Haha Graham, I know the feeling! I saw it today, but also got my shipping order from Yahoo Japan meaning it'll be here early tomorrow (when I'm at work) so I'll have it tomorrow night. But I am seriously fighting the urge to buy it anyhow.

In fact, I did that with the Two Towers disc, and now have one extra. Doh... must learn patience.

Yes, Graham is right...don't get any backed up or boots of this. All of my games are 100 % original and I don't believe in pirated software. Support the game industry.

On another note, someone on Gamefaqs just posted a short review of the game...seems like it has 12 stages in the TV version and 8 stages in the movie version.

Macross on Gamefaqs

Toys N' Joys just charged my pre order so I expect my game soon. :)

Edited by Gaijin

Soooo....

1) What's the best place online to order the game right now.

2) What's the cheapest and simplest way to play it on a US PS2 without tearing the system apart?

I see that you get to play as part of Apollo Team... MY Team! :lol:

(crosses fingers that there's a VF-4 in that game....)

Yes, there is VF-4 in the game...

I have been playing for the past 5 hours. I finished the game 2 times.

-There are 2 game mode - the TV story mode and the movie/ova DYRL story mode.

-The TV story mode has 12 missions and the movie story mode has 8 missions.

-VFs have both TV story design and the movie design. (GREAT!)

-The control is not hard to get used to but it takes a lot of time to master it.

(example: push left analog stick from left to right very quickly will make VF to spin and avoid missiles)

-Air/Space Combat is great. You need to use all 3 mode (Battroid/Gerwalk/fighter). Fighter is maily for moving around, chasing enemies and shooting missiles. Gerwalk is for slowing down (just like in the 1st combat scene in the DYRL) and shooting missiles. Battroid is for close range combat with the gun pod and there is an auto target system in this mode. (in other mode, you have to find enemies in the radar)

-Ground combat is great too. (better than Robotech) Mainly, you will be switching back and forward behind Gerwalk to battroid mode. (You can switch to fighter mode too for moving around the map quickly) The main purpose of Gerwalk mode is for shooting missiles to attack stronger enemies or far away enemies. (the gun pod is no good for stronger enemies like the Glaug) Once, they are right beside you, just use auto target and shoot them with the gun pod as much as possible. AIs will try to fly around when they are under gun attack. Ground combat is like playing Gundam DX...

-After each mission, the game will give you a rank. Rank is for unlocking sercet VFs.

-After finishing both TV and DYRL mode, a Free mission mode will pop up for you to replay the missions seperately.

-Replay value is very high because there are sercets VF to be unlock... however, some of the missions are very very hard to get a good rank... example: the last mission in DYRL, the whole screen is filled with Glaug and Queadluun-Rau... i always get a D rank

-BGM is great... because SEGA use the classic macross BGMs (litte white dragon is my favourite)

-SDF Macross is little bit smaller than usual... weird.

-there is only 1 animation clip in this game. (the ending of DYRL, the clip of Minmay sings in a concert)

This game is a must have for Macross fans... it is the best Macross game so far.

I agree, tis the best so far! I only just finished it then, so is kinda quick to finish, but well, its lots of fun doing the 'enemy is chasing me, better hit gerwalk mode, let him pass me, then shoot tha crap outta him! ' Its great fun!! hehehehe

now me gots to get good ranks, now I sorta know what im doing ! :lol:

Ground combat is great too. (better than Robotech) Mainly, you will be switching back and forward behind Gerwalk to battroid mode. (You can switch to fighter mode too for moving around the map quickly)

Does it have any problems that plagued Battlecry? The invisible ceilings (that were kinda low)? Destroyable buildings? :blink:

The official site has opened up the final coming soon block, "System".

Linky

My game should arrive today or so. :)

Most places you can get it imported for $59-69. The slide card/boot disc setup averages $29. So there you go.

Edited by Gaijin

so how much is it with the slide card and all? somebody got a price quote?

Well.

I got copy of Macross from Play-Asia.com = $62.00 (the game + shipping)

I got my PS2 Slide Card from tisins.com = $39.00 (product + shipping + in state tax)

That's a little over $100 to play Macross on my domestic PS2. :blink:

I hope this works......

Man... I thought I was going to tear through this game but Ai wa Nagareru has stopped me dead in my tracks. More practice after work today. ;)

Edited for possible spoilers... sorry jwings! :ph34r:

Highlight to read.

Two other quick points, Miria destroyed me the first time, but once you get it down, she's not that hard to beat (the first time that is).

Also, I loved the Miss Macross level. From Misa starting off by saying sorry, but the pilot who should be on call is late to them running bits of the TV broadcast in the lower left corner of the screen while you're fighting, it was great. Keep one eye on the target and one on Minmei. :p

As for levels with timers, they're only there when needed. Before the fold, during the mission around Saturn. Other times there is a timer so to speak, like when the pin point barrier is getting worked over, but it's not a blatant count down style one.

Edited by LePoseur