The Macross Quarter. DX Chogokin

Picked up my Quarter from the PO this morning as well. I really like the sculpt. It seems sufficiently detailed to me and the colors are acceptable. Most of the joints are pretty tight, though the joint that connects the bicep/tricep area to the shoulder could be tighter. They just kind of swing around under the weight of the gun and deck if you tilt the Quarter to the side. By contrast, the joint that allows you to move the arm up and down from the shoulder requires herculean strength to move and I was afraid I would break the shoulder.

Some of the turrets were bent, but I tried to the hair dryer trick to straighten them out. My main gripe is the main cannon is crooked when opened. The top two prongs are off center from the bottom prong and are offset to the left. No amount of manipulating on my part could set it straight so I'll just leave it displayed in the closed position.

Overall, I'm pretty pleased with it.

With a bit of panel lining, wash, and shading here and there, it looks magnitudes better than the DX VF-25's.

post-10222-1263078163_thumb.jpgpost-10222-1263078168_thumb.jpg

post-10222-1263078172_thumb.jpgpost-10222-1263078178_thumb.jpg

Great pics MacrossJunkie! What do you use to panel line and wash? For injection models I use oil paint with odorless mineral spirit. It works great but makes the plastic more brittle. Since the MQ is a transformable toys, I want to use something saver.

I also ordered the MQ from amiami. Just got the shipping notice. No wonder the stock for the MQ dropped so fast. I guess several members here ordered from amiami around the same time. ^_^

Great pics MacrossJunkie! What do you use to panel line and wash? For injection models I use oil paint with odorless mineral spirit. It works great but makes the plastic more brittle. Since the MQ is a transformable toys, I want to use something saver.

I also ordered the MQ from amiami. Just got the shipping notice. No wonder the stock for the MQ dropped so fast. I guess several members here ordered from amiami around the same time. ^_^

I actually ended up doing more to it afterwards. I put the resulting pics in the Strike a pose thread.

I used the light and dark dirt promodeller washes, along with the tamiya weathering master kits and some use of gundam paint markers to add in additional paint applications where they were missing.

You're gonna be pretty impressed with it once you get it in your hands.

Wasn't really consider getting this, but this this thread is making me want it. I really wish Yamato or Bandai or anyone would do a similarly sized Battle 7.

I actually ended up doing more to it afterwards. I put the resulting pics in the Strike a pose thread.

I used the light and dark dirt promodeller washes, along with the tamiya weathering master kits and some use of gundam paint markers to add in additional paint applications where they were missing.

You're gonna be pretty impressed with it once you get it in your hands.

Your MQ looks so much better after the wash and added details. Fpr the promodeller wash, do you have to spray a flat clear coat to protect the wash? Is the promodeller wash kind of like a enamel wash? Would it make the plastic more brittle? Sorry for all the questions. I am really interested with this wash and would like to know more and your experience with it. Thanks!

Your MQ looks so much better after the wash and added details. Fpr the promodeller wash, do you have to spray a flat clear coat to protect the wash? Is the promodeller wash kind of like a enamel wash? Would it make the plastic more brittle? Sorry for all the questions. I am really interested with this wash and would like to know more and your experience with it. Thanks!

I only used the promodeller wash for the panel lining. I don't feel it's good for much else as I haven't gotten very good results with it for actual weathering effects, especially since the plastic is so smooth. The clearest example of where I used the promodeller wash that's visible in the pics is the head using the dark dirt to bring out the details and the light dirt for white-ish/light gray lines on the carrier deck. It's not an enamel wash. All it really has is clay particles for the dirt and some sort of liquid that doesn't really smell and seems to be fairly inert. It doesn't have any effect on the plastic or the paint as far as I can tell. I think the liquid also has too much surface tension for what it is used for as it doesn't really have a good capillary effect. Perhaps adding some liquid dish washing soap would help. I used the tamiya weathering kits for the actual weathering. I may end up sealing it with a flat coat, but I haven't yet. I don't handle it too much so it's not that big a deal.

Yep...my Quarter fell all of one foot off the bottom shelf of my display. Both the pointy what-nots on the end of the flight-deck snapped off as well as the four antenna on the back boosters.

Graham is gonna have a field day with this latest mishap.

Sorry to hear that Alex :wacko:

You must have the worst new vs broken toys ratio of Macrossworld!!!

Yamato and other companies should hire you and pay you a great sum of $$$ to test their toys. If the sample survives your abuse and torture it will prove to be almost indestructible :lol:

Really? I'd love to pick one up on the cheep. Who's the best price/least risk?

Ami Ami has the best price from what I've seen, I got mine for like $160 shipped through them and no issues. HLJ has them on sale for 25% off right now but will still come to almost $200 with shipping.

Either way it's a must buy if you like the capital ships.

I also got my quarter today and is happy to have one with no bent turrets or sloppy paint. This toy is big and whatever pose I put it in it holds. Thank you bandai.

Oh and to Uxi if you are buying a quarter from ami ami it will come out to be about $190 shipped with EMS shipping since I also live in so Cal.

When did you get yours? This month is half off shipping at Ami Ami. Am VERY close to ordering the VF-27... otherwise, I'll get the Quarter.

When did you get yours? This month is half off shipping at Ami Ami. Am VERY close to ordering the VF-27... otherwise, I'll get the Quarter.

DEFINITELY jump while they're doing half off on the shipping. The Quarter is neither light nor small, so shipping is $$$$$ otherwise.

I picked up the February 2010 Newtype magazine yesterday.

Inside it was the 35 page Fact File which included scans of the movie edition Macross Quarter.

Can you say DX Macross Quarter Movie Edition?

post-31-1266698530_thumb.jpg

post-31-1266698540_thumb.jpg

post-31-1266698550_thumb.jpg

So there might be a movie version to milk the fan

Edit: quick glance at YJA the quarter is around 10,000 yen, factoring all the cost and it is about same as buying from amiami incl postage but take more time and hassle.

Edited by ntsan

By the pics on new-un-spacy.com, I'm liking the OG carrier arm with the darker body. Not too keen on the spelled out "SMS" on the legs, either.

hmm... maybe one of you guys with the first Quarter will want to trade carriers? ;)

Doesn't matter to me ill just get both and call the repaint the qtr and the 1st release another name.

Something like, the "N-UNS 02 Legacy"

The quarter's sister ship. ^_^