If Yamato made GN-U Fighter Modes would you buy?

Graham

My thinking for this was as follows:-

Firstly, although the Hasegawa fighter mode kits are fantastic, most of us don't have the skill, time or patience to do justice to them. Yet, many people here love fighter mode. I'm an absolute crap model builder and the only way for me to have some nicely painted Hasegawa fighters, is to get somebody to paint them for me, which is very expensive.

Secondly, While the Yamato 1/60 PT toys are great, they are expensive and as mentioned, many us us just transform them a few times and then leave them in one mode. Also, some of them can be a little big to leave lying around on the desk and just casually pick up and fly around. Also, of course depending on the toy, there may be looking issues, which means you can't fly it around as much as you would like (1/48 with FPs, I'm talking about you)!

A few people have commented about how beacuse of the Bandai VF100s line, they would not be interested in GNU fights. However, I'd just like to pooint out that the VF100s line is really pretty much an unknown quantity at this point. They may be great, or they may turn out to be horrible floppy messes, we don't know yet.

I've really fallen in love with the GNU battroids and would like in scale fighters to match. Like most people here, I'm not too interested in a GNU VF-1 fighter, but I'd definitely but Macross Zero, Macross Plus, VFX-2 fighters.

So to revise my original proposal, if these GNU fighters: -

1) Sell at a cheaper price point than the GNU battroids.

2) Have moveable swing wings.

3) Come with detachable wing missiles and FAST Packs.

4) Includes a display stand.

5) Have some removeable panels, e.g . engine nacelle covers.

Would you buy them?

PLease just a yes or no reply, aloong with any comments about what you would like to see in a FIGHTER.

No comments about enemy mecha, destroids etc. This thread is not about those.

Graham

I vote yes

again you list exactly WHY I want them Graham. Because as much as I drool over the Hasegawa YF-19 I will never in a million years be able to make it look that good. And thats the whole reason I want it is for the wonderful look in fighter mode so that I can display them. I love all the modes but definitely want a few to throw out in fighter mode and fighter mode only. To me the models being just 20 bucks or so doesn't matter since it would never look as great as the pictures of a finished product when I'm done.

Definitely would love for it to have all of the nice attachments for FAST packs, a good stand to show it in flight mode ect.

Like you if they had these I'd go for more of the newer model planes from series like Plus etc.

In the end this is a hobby like any other so you pretty much have to go in knowing your going to "Waste" some money sometimes haha. But if you love it then who cares!

Edited by Cybergig1

My thinking for this was as follows:-

Firstly, although the Hasegawa fighter mode kits are fantastic, most of us don't have the skill, time or patience to do justice to them. Yet, many people here love fighter mode. I'm an absolute crap model builder and the only way for me to have some nicely painted Hasegawa fighters, is to get somebody to paint them for me, which is very expensive.

Secondly, While the Yamato 1/60 PT toys are great, they are expensive and as mentioned, many us us just transform them a few times and then leave them in one mode. Also, some of them can be a little big to leave lying around on the desk and just casually pick up and fly around. Also, of course depending on the toy, there may be looking issues, which means you can't fly it around as much as you would like (1/48 with FPs, I'm talking about you)!

A few people have commented about how beacuse of the Bandai VF100s line, they would not be interested in GNU fights. However, I'd just like to pooint out that the VF100s line is really pretty much an unknown quantity at this point. They may be great, or they may turn out to be horrible floppy messes, we don't know yet.

I've really fallen in love with the GNU battroids and would like in scale fighters to match. Like most people here, I'm not too interested in a GNU VF-1 fighter, but I'd definitely but Macross Zero, Macross Plus, VFX-2 fighters.

Would you buy them?

PLease just a yes or no reply, aloong with any comments about what you would like to see in a FIGHTER.

Graham

HELL YES!!

And those reasons you named off are the same reasons why I'd LOVE to buy them!! I don't have the time, skills, or even money to hire said skills to build models. For those of you that can do that, good for you.

For those of us who can't, this would be a PERFECT opportunity.

-Kyp

Yes again, for the reasons that graham has stated in both of his proposals. Definately, VF-11 and other Mac+ valks, the VF-0 Line and SV-51. Alternate payloads missiles gunpods excetra.....fuel air bomb anyone?

Oh, and I do have the ability to build nice models but I don't always have the time to do it. It would be nice to have nice looking fighters without having to invest all the time and money into a model. Believe it or not you guys, but building a model, well, is alot more expensive than just buying a kit.

Chris

Yes again, for the reasons that graham has stated in both of his proposals. Definately, VF-11 and other Mac+ valks, the VF-0 Line and SV-51. Alternate payloads missiles gunpods excetra.....fuel air bomb anyone?

Oh, and I do have the ability to build nice models but I don't always have the time to do it. It would be nice to have nice looking fighters without having to invest all the time and money into a model. Believe it or not you guys, but building a model, well, is alot more expensive than just buying a kit.

Chris

The Fuel-Air Bomb would be a great touch, can't say you have all the weapons accessories without that piece of destruction!! B))

The Fuel-Air Bomb would be a great touch, can't say you have all the weapons accessories without that piece of destruction!! B))

Where is my 1/60 Fuel Bomb yamato???? Include that and the flying totem Shin ad Nora used plus 1/60 figures to ride on.

Oh and of course Nora with snipah!

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

It seems like every time I check this thread it's off topic. Why are people talking about a 1/60 VF-4? Graham specifically said GNU Fighter toys and nothing else.

Would you buy them?

Graham

I would buy them for review purposes only. I wouldn't buy them as a collector and I'd probably sell off these toys after reviewing them. Transformation is what makes Macross stuff cool and I'll forgive a lack of transformation in gashapon-sized products but that's about it. The Gnu battroids aren't really that impressive to me either but at least you can have a bit of fun posing them.

If they were cheap enough, I'd buy a bunch. Moving swing-wings please. No need for working canopies IMHO---what could you see?

It's not so much about "what you could see", (which still should be something at that scale), it's about posing. I want the option of being able to pose my fighter in a closed canopy flight position on a stand, or pose it in a pre-flight runway style position with the canopy open.

If these things aren't going to transform, and they aren't going to have moving arms and legs, then they better have a lot of other moving and/ore attachable parts, or it's just a statue.

Must haves for me: (otherwise put me down as NO)

- Moving wings (for fighters like the YF-19, VF-11, and VF-0 which have variable geometry wings.)

- Working landing gear

- Working canopies

Wishlist:

- Moving thrust vectoring surfaces

- Moving control surfaces (air brakes, maybe flaps, canards, ailerons if not too flimsy, etc...

- Moving gun turrets (like the rear-facing defensive head cannon of the YF-19, which probably should move on two axis.)

- Opening missile bays (if not too small)

- Intake covers for space flight

- Maybe some maintenance hatches that can be removed to show internal mechanisms

- FPs, Ghost Boosters, Fold Boosters, and whatever else should come with the fighter

- A sh!t load of external ordinance, (even for fighters like the 19 and 21 that were designed to store missiles internally).

- Removable pilot figure

If GN-U fighters had some or all of the above features, they might actually be pretty dang cool, because you could pose them in a wide variety of positions. Take off, landing, pre-flight, dynamic flight poses like barrel rolls and cobras, fully loaded to the hilt with weapons or lightly armed with just a gun pod, high speed mode, FPs on/off...etc...etc...

Edited by Vic Mancini

This is a fantastic idea . I vote yes, but only if....

1. they stop making us wish they make this and that fighter line. They SHOULD make them "all" and get it done right.

I am so Pi$$ed @ff of a company making toys or models and becoming rebundant on the obvious VF-1. Someone please stick to a scale and make some of the "öbscure" fighters already so i can decided once and for all... I want my VF-4, VF-17, VF-9, VF-19 in the same scale regardless of the overall size. But commit a bit beyond the VF-1, VF-19 & 21 Macross is more than those. Between Yellow submarine, Bandai and Kaiyodo they came so freaking close with their 1/144 line but never finished the series. Too many potentials were left out and now the series is dead. But by far more affordable than many other models. The problem with them? too small and well, they are models and not toys so not for everyone...

I am still waiting to be surprised by Hasegawa beyond the vf-1 & 19 But the future look grim now.

2. Price is affordable for the masses and not just the rich...

After the 5th valk I am going to look back and say "wow, did I just spent that much money on this..?" It has to be worth spending my hard earned money for something you desire. But don't want to regret buying them once i found out Kaiyodo comes out with a newer line in "perfect" scale of VF-1 in platinum edition or whatever. I want Yamato make me wish i am looking forward to fulfill ( and hopefully complete) this collection.

3. Quality.

I am truly surprised with Chara works more even than the Doyusha because of the detail put into them and far cheaper as well. But I am starting to see the pattern. They will milk the VF-1 line to dead and probably will never get to see a VF-11 of our so loved VF-4. Reason.. ? I think I might thrown up If I see another vf-1S hikaru...

If the quality is visually appealing people tend to buy it just because... I would like some companies not just get a Valk out in the market because they can milk it.

I think the ability to have interchangeable gun pods, fast packs, etc. among some of the fighters ( just on some of them, I know) would be a nice addition...

Edited by 007-vf1

Have to agree there, and add that to what I'd love to see...

Yes, the VF-1 has been done to death, and no, there obviously aren't as many variants of all the other planes. But if you're going to do it, just stick to the majorly important versions of the VF-1, and try to give the other planes a comparable amount of attention.

For instance, if they do the VF-1, maybe limit it to 5-6 versions, just to cover the famous ones: Roy -1S, Hikaru -1J, M&M -1Js, possibly a DYRL -1A of some type, and maybe one wild card like a VF-1D, or something like an Elint or Super-O. There are lots of others, but beyond that you'd just be killing off chances for other planes.

One other thing about the VF-1s though... if they can make FPs work for them, it'd be better if they were included. I really would rather not see two versions of every VF-1 so you can have FP/non-FP versions of each. I know mounting FPs on the VF-1 means making it practically variable (if you can move the legs and tail section enough, you can pretty much do an armless gerwalk), but I don't want to see umpteen versions of the planes just to get all the FP options covered.

Also, if they can manage to limit themselves to 5 VF-1 versions.. I want at least nearly similar variety in the rest of the line. Sure, we've only ever seen one or two versions of most other planes... so, make up something new. Yamato came up a load of custom VF-1 designs, let em give the rest of the valks the same treatment. For instance, here's a few variants I'd love to see done

YF-19: sure we have the tan prototype from Mac+. That was the second prototype. Where's the first one? Just make something up.. use modern camo colors, and get creative, or use one of the Supernova schemes (please!) Then you can always do the VF-X version like they did with the figure line, and have at least 3 versions.

YF-21: same situation as the YF-19. There was one more prototype we didn't see (the conventional control version), which should've been pretty much a YF-21 with a VF-22 cockpit. Plus, you can always make M&M VF-22s, which would be awesome. You could even do a Gamlin version. There's 5 more planes.

VF-19: I'm listing this separately because it's so different from the YF-19. Aside from Basara's which was unique, there's still multiple ways you could do the Blazer version. There's probably at least 3 of these that could be done.

VF-11: Two main versions we see, the Mac+ version and the Mac7 cannon fodder. So, again, make something up for fun. Maybe a demonstrator model like an Angel Birds version, or even a Pink Pecker. There's also the custom Mylene design, and the Jamming Birds. So, there's at least 5 more possibilities here.

VF-17: Not nearly as much variety here, since they tended to be black, except for the Sound Force one, which was a green 2 seater.

VF-4: I'm not too familiar with how many times this one appears outside of FB2012. My guess would be you could get at least 2 versions from games and concept art.

VF-0: Several options here, and I seriously want a VF-0D. Take a few cues from the Hasegawa kits, and they could probably come up with 4 of these. Same for the SV-51, but I'm not going to be really happy unless they do a Dobber schemed one. :D

Then there's all the variety of MacF stuff now, and even without armored/packed versions, you've got 4 VF-25s to do, 2 VF-171 schemes, and 2 VF-27 schemes.

I'm leaving out most of the stuff I'm not familiar with, like MacII and the games, as well as many of the concept designs. But it's easy to see that the VF-1 has had an overwhelming amount of exposure compared with the other planes. Now, how much that has to do with the comparitive audiences of the different series, I don't know. The VF-1 has certainly had the most exposure overall.

Sorry if this is a bit long, and we can move this to a new topic if needed. But my overall point is that if they're going to be making a bunch of little planes to sit out on my shelves, I want some variety. I don't mind the VF-1, and I know I'll buy a few of those, but I want there to be more than one version of the rest of the planes I like too, Mac+ especially.

Edited by Chronocidal

I'll say a reluctant yes, but only if they make some non-variables fighters (hikarus jet for example) as well. We all know that there will be 12 VF-1 variants made (at least) and thats fine by me, yamato's gotta make money somehow but I'd really like to see them make a few oddball valks that arent famous enough to warrant 1/60 versions and variants like the stampede valk. Lastly they better have the works, if Yamato can make a perfect transformation SV-51 then they sure as hell can put retractable landing gear, opening canopies and removable armor with fancy interior mechanics on a small model. My rant is over, ignore me and go on.

I'll say a reluctant yes, but only if they make some non-variables fighters (hikarus jet for example) as well.

YES!!!! Yamato, make Hikaru's Fan Jet!!! Make it in 1/48 or 1/60 scale with a hikaru civilian flightsuit pilot, opening cockpit and a minmei that sits on his lap along with a giant Maguro!!!!

That would be sweet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please yamato?

Who else wants one of those?

You guys are forgetting something. This is if Yamato made them. Bandai still has control over the Macross 7 license and Macross Frontier license.

Therefore, no VF-19F/S/Kai/P, no VF-11C/D,MAXLkai, no VF-17 (unless it's the VFX2 version), no VF-25, no VF-27, no VF-171.

Well crud then. ^_^ Eh, maybe Bandai will be nice and pick up the others at some point with a few kits (maybe 1/72 variables like the VF-25).

To be honest, I don't mind a bunch of VF-1s so much as I want more of the other stuff. We'll probably see lots of VF-1s one way or another, but I'd love to see more custom versions of the other planes. Yamato made a good amount of custom designs for the 1/48 VF-1s, and I'd love to see the others treated the same way. A low-vis VF-19A or VF-11 is something I've been waiting a long time for.

On the other hand if they don't make more versions, the lower price of these would probably make me not so nervous to try customizing them. Good thing too, because I really want a set of M&M VF-22s.

Btw yes, Hikaru's fanjet would be great, maybe even the fancier one Minmay got later in the series. Heck, as long as we're going for civilian stuff, they should make Roy and Hikaru's bi-planes from the flying circus. :D

Edited by Chronocidal

- Working landing gear

Wishlist:

- Moving thrust vectoring surfaces

- Moving control surfaces (air brakes, maybe flaps, canards, ailerons if not too flimsy, etc...

- Moving gun turrets (like the rear-facing defensive head cannon of the YF-19, which probably should move on two axis.)

- Opening missile bays (if not too small)

- Intake covers for space flight

- Maybe some maintenance hatches that can be removed to show internal mechanisms

Just FYI, but far larger, $75-$125 diecast models usually don't have that. (moving stabs are an exception---they also happen unintentionally due to design) I doubt they'd show up in little plastic ones.

Just FYI, but far larger, $75-$125 diecast models usually don't have that. (moving stabs are an exception---they also happen unintentionally due to design) I doubt they'd show up in little plastic ones.

Well whatever. I'm just casting my vote. If working gear and canopies are going to drive the price up to those levels, then count me out. But I wouldn't be interested unless the gear and canopies worked.

I also want to stress that I'd only be interested in the wishlist features if the durability was there. If it's between wings with flimsy ailerons that fall off, and regular wings without control surfaces, I'll go the durability route every time. But I definitely want my working gear, canopies, air brakes, thrust vectoring, and some FP and ordinance options.

Give me a bunch of different ways to pose this fighter, and I'd be interested.

I want to be able to do everything from a runway pose with the canopy open and all the ordinance laid out on the runway for display, to a mid-flight cobra maneuver fully loaded with heavy ordinance and the thrust vector planes tilted back in the proper position, and every type of airplane pose in between.

I wouldn't buy GNU fighters. I wasn't a fan of the Doyushas either. See, with me, I don't mind buying a non transforming robot figure of a transforming mecha. A figure is articulated and can be put into poses, and with the respective lines such as Revoltech and the current GNU-Do, those figures have consistency with all the other figures. The VF100 line from Bandai looks like it might have better articulation than Revoltech/GNU, and at that, are variable albeit parts swapping. So for me, though I dislike parts swapping, I would rather have a VF100 over a GNU fighter. Chances are both would be just as accurate over the other, but the former would still be able to transform. Thats just me though.

I would be all over some fighter mode GNU's as long as they were all in scale with one another and were relatively inexpensive. So stop teasing us graham and fess up, Yamato already has some designs drawn up don't they?

YES!!!! Yamato, make Hikaru's Fan Jet!!! Make it in 1/48 or 1/60 scale with a hikaru civilian flightsuit pilot, opening cockpit and a minmei that sits on his lap along with a giant Maguro!!!!

That would be sweet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please yamato?

Who else wants one of those?

[/quote

Lets do it !!!!!!!! Come on Yamato or Bandai, you can do it !!! :rolleyes: