Ride Armors, Legioss and Treads! Oh my!

EXO

Thanks jenius ... so I guess the total cost of the Beagle is approx $270 USD shipped ..... ugh, pricey.

:o

I also collect TFs and 25th Joes ... this will KILL my limited toy budget.

:(

Considering Overdrive is selling them shipped for what their suggested retail is, their price is a steal. HLJ wants $250+ for them!

Vostok 7

I'm wondering what Beagle's next move is, aside from the Ride Armors... I'm hoping they stick with the Mospeada francise just like Yamato did with the macross, even though there's not much to it. Or maybe as someone mentioned in the other thread... transformable motorcycles such as the Motoslave.

I'm wondering what Beagle's next move is, aside from the Ride Armors... I'm hoping they stick with the Mospeada francise just like Yamato did with the macross, even though there's not much to it. Or maybe as someone mentioned in the other thread... transformable motorcycles such as the Motoslave.

Well, it sure would be nice if they decided to put the dedication they showed on the Ride Armors to use on a Leigoss and Tread combo, considering the current offers are a case of better of two evils.

Or, and I'm dreaming here, some 1/10 Inbit for the ride armors to fight would be a nice touch ^_^

But we'll see. They obviously have done a good job with the Ride Armor for their first time out, and if they put as much dedication and time into anything else from Mospeada or other transforming cycles (a 1/10 Motoslave would be nice, if they could get it as accurate as they did with the Ride Armor!), anything else they touch could pretty much be pure gold.

And extremely expensive.

But when you look at it, Beagle's Ride Armor is almost like if Yamato had gone straight to making the 1/48 VF-1s with nothing in between. Jenius mentions that Yamato educated Beagle on the box, but it would NOT surprise me at all if Yamato gave some tips and tricks to Beagle, because in a lot of ways the whole thing looks and feels very Yamato-ish in a way.

Augh! I wish Overdrive would get mine shipped! Danged OD Tomahawk, keeping me from MOSPEADA bliss...

Vostok 7

There's also the possibility, since they're partnered up with Toynami, at least on this particular project, that they may stretch out the MOSPEADA franchise by having, to use Robotech names (since that is what Toynami sells under) Scott, Rand, Lancer, Rook, Sue Graham, and then Shadow Chronicles variants, like Vince Grant (since Toynami is doing Shadow Chronicles Alphas), plus other variants I may not be thinking of right now.

I'd love to see more variable bikes, like the Bubblegum Crisis Hurricanes and Typhoons... Megazone 23 Garland, Proto-Garland, Garland E=X, Harguns (I think I'm remembering that one right)...

All to the same scale.

I think the problem with the Toynami/Aoshima Alpha/Legioss is not so much which factory that made them, but rather the actual design itself.

While the Beta/Tread is obviously CAD designed, and thus far superior in fit, the Alpha/Legioss was clearly hand sculpted hence the poorly fitting asymmetrical parts.

Toynami really need to go back and CAD design a whole new Alpha/Legioss.

Oh, and use better, non-crumbly material for the hands! :D

Graham

Hey Graham, I completely agree with that thought. redesign it while keeping the liner art accurate. But maybe re-distribute the weight/metal or just a better joint system to handle the ballast. And by far POM for the hands And shoulder. The tail wings should have a metal rod running through it to properly support it. I hope they back to the drawing board on it, I love the Legioss/Alpha design and Toynami nailed it in accuracy, but blew it on quality.....

How I hope their Cyclone/Ride-Armor entry will earn the respect that the Beta did.

Edited by 505thAirborne

A couple questions:

1) Awhile ago there were pictures of a ride-armor toy with saddle bags, it looked like a Blowsperior/Blow Superior/Yellow's ride :lol: IIRC, and it sorta looked like a MH version, but the saddle bags attached to a cool frame thing that went over the rear cowl area. It was really neat looking, and I thought for sure I saw the picture on Jenius' site, but I can't find it now. Does this strike anyone as something they've seen?

N/M I found it, it's the Megahouse VR-052's.

meg80806_2.jpg

2) Does anyone know if saddle bags and other accessories will be released for the Beagle/Toynami ride armors? I saw it mentioned somewhere that there are what appear to be attachment points for saddle bags on the toy, but of course none are included. Perhaps Toynami will be doing an "appendix"?

Vostok 7

Edited by Vostok 7

While the Beta/Tread is obviously CAD designed, and thus far superior in fit, the Alpha/Legioss was clearly hand sculpted hence the poorly fitting asymmetrical parts.

Just wondering, what are the earmarks one can look for to identify whether a toy has been designed with CAD or sculpted by hand?

Just wondering, what are the earmarks one can look for to identify whether a toy has been designed with CAD or sculpted by hand?

CAD-designed transforming toys tend to have tighter gaps, symmetrical design and better proportions than hand-sculpted models. They tend to just look better and work better. The best way to see the difference is to look at, well, the difference between the Toynami Alpha's and the Toynami Beta. Or, another example is the original 1/72 Yamato Macross + valks versus the newer 1/60s, or the original 1/60 VF-1s vs. the 1/48s and 1/60 V2s. And given MH and CM's terrible ride armors versus the Beagle design, it wouldn't surprise me if the MH and CM's ride armors are hand sculpted vs. Beagle's for sure was CAD designed.

Vostok 7

The best way to see the difference is to look at, well, the difference between the Toynami Alpha's and the Toynami Beta.

Do we know for a fact that one was sculpted by hand and the other was developed using CAD, or are we just assuming this?

See Vostok, when Roger asks a question, it's never really a question... it's more of a way to question why you would attack Toynami, no matter how many crappy toys they've dealt us.

No, I'm actually asking how one can tell whether or not a toy is designed via CAD or not.

I'd like to know how Graham came to that conclusion without any info from Toynami, because I don't think the quality of the final product is a reliable indicator. After all, we were getting great transforming robot toys and models long before CAD became commonly used.

Edited by Roger

See Vostok, when Roger asks a question, it's never really a question... it's more of a way to question why you would attack Toynami, no matter how many crappy toys they've dealt us.

I forgot, it is Roger, the King of Circular Logic.

And I thought I did a pretty good job of not directly attacking Toynami in my answer. :(

Vostok 7

We know the Alpha wasn't done with CAD because of its obvious similarities to a product that existed before CAD (at least, before CAD was used to make toys or models). The design of the Alpha is taken from the design of a very old model. We know it wasn't manufactured via CAM because of the sloppy tolerances.

Does anyone know if the new Aoshima 1/55 Legioss (Alphas) are redesigned with CAD or are they just upgrades from the Robotech MPC Alphas?

Secondly, can those Aoshima Alphas dock with the MPC Betas?

No, I'm actually asking how one can tell whether or not a toy is designed via CAD or not.

I'd like to know how Graham came to that conclusion without any info from Toynami, because I don't think the quality of the final product is a reliable indicator. After all, we were getting great transforming robot toys and models long before CAD became commonly used.

Exactly... why not just say that in your original post? "Hey Graham... how did you come up with that conclusion, yadda yadda yadda" instead you gotta go with the usual look watch this I'm Roger asking innocently set up.

Does anyone know if the new Aoshima 1/55 Legioss (Alphas) are redesigned with CAD or are they just upgrades from the Robotech MPC Alphas?

Secondly, can those Aoshima Alphas dock with the MPC Betas?

The Aoshima's can dock with the MPC Betas, but the color will not match at all.

Toynami%20Beta%2017.jpg

Also, as Exo said, the Aoshima's certainly did not improve the quality or design of the MPCs, they're virtually the same thing with just a different paint job and a couple more features.

http://anymoon.com/blog/2008/02/08/aoshima...oy-148-legioss/

Vostok 7

They weren't upgrades unless you call the accessories upgrades. But they pretty much Toynami reissues thru the Aoshima banner. I think the results were worse than the previous MPCs.

I read about the Robotech Maia MPC shadow fighters problems with parts breaking off. I am concerned that the Aoshima Legioss might be made at the same factory, hence, poor quality as well.

The Toynami designed Legioss have an overall poor quality. Everyone thought that since Aoshima was distributing them in Japan that the quality was going to be significantly improved. But after its release the reviews were so horrid (with pictures even) that it became an embarrassment to Aoshima. It turns out that the quality was even worse than their MPC brethren.

Personally I thought the quality of the first MPC Alpha was good and got worse and worse with the subsequent releases of the green and red. But now that I've had the blue alpha this long it has gotten worse in time and parts hasnt stoppped breaking off on the arms. Again, it seems like all the problems are in the arm section. The missile bay doors have fallen off, the hands crumbled, the tailfins broke off and all whle it's just sitting there displayed in fighter mode.

Slim chance as it may be... as someone mentioned above, if Aoshima does come out with a more suitable Alpha/Legioss they would have to include a new stand that would consider the change in weight towards the Beta. I do believe that they should consider this I think people would consider replacing their Alphas for an actual toy we can handle.

I don't think it'd be wise to attach the sleeves on the arm to the chest armor, I think that'd create a lot of potential for tearing the fabric. I would rather they use a tighter and more rubbery fabric so it wouldn't move around as much. The targeting scope is definitely loose and could be much better. There were several poses I got the armor in that would have really been impaired if the hip covers attached in front like they do in the back.

Thanx jenius ,you.re right I didn,t think of the fabric possibly tearing ,in that case it,s a good preventitive eyesore.Yeah a different fabric would be better.

As for future releases ,here,s hoping for a tighter bike and no loose heads! :rolleyes:

I'm gonna have to disagree with Graham and say that the Toynami Legioss is a good design with a crappy execution. With better QC and a better choice of materials, I think it would be damn near perfect. Maybe with tighter tolerances at the factory the nose wouldn't bow up. As bad as the QC is, I still think it's a great looking toy before it falls apart.

I'm gonna have to disagree with Graham and say that the Toynami Legioss is a good design with a crappy execution. With better QC and a better choice of materials, I think it would be damn near perfect. Maybe with tighter tolerances at the factory the nose wouldn't bow up. As bad as the QC is, I still think it's a great looking toy before it falls apart.

i'd have to agree with danth.. IMHO, Toynami's only problem with the Alphas would be the QC and crumby materials. as for the design, it's actually the best looking Alpha out there. CM's alright and all, but it kinda looks "off" somehow.. as a toy on its own, it's great, but as a toy based on the designs in the anime, ya, something doesnt look right..

not bashing CM or praising Toynami here, but if we could take Toynami's design and CM's durability and materials, i'd say we'd have a winning Alpha :)

Edited by Gastric

There's also the possibility, since they're partnered up with Toynami, at least on this particular project, that they may stretch out the MOSPEADA franchise by having, to use Robotech names (since that is what Toynami sells under) Scott, Rand, Lancer, Rook, Sue Graham, and then Shadow Chronicles variants, like Vince Grant (since Toynami is doing Shadow Chronicles Alphas), plus other variants I may not be thinking of right now.

I'd love to see more variable bikes, like the Bubblegum Crisis Hurricanes and Typhoons... Megazone 23 Garland, Proto-Garland, Garland E=X, Harguns (I think I'm remembering that one right)...

All to the same scale.

And, to add to my own previous post, if they want to do like Toynami did with the Jack Archer Masterpiece from Battlecry, they could hit Invasion for Locke, Guppy, Arturo, and others.

Looking back on those links isa_o posted i'd dare say it's worth every cent.

From what I,ve seen I,m pretty happy with the Ley/Rand head sculpt ,hoping it,s not too late to improve on the Stick .

I ,d hate to get another floppy head Ley ,with no shoulder cloth attached to the chest armor,a loose targeting scope,and hoping for atleast an attempt at a hip and crotch armor connection!

Also a tighter bike.

Please explain, there is pics of Rey's head sculpt already? I think you've mixed up the two. lol

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

Looking back on those links isa_o posted i'd dare say it's worh every cent.

Please explain, there is pics of Rey's head sculpt already? I think you've mixed up the two. lol

He migh be referring to the images back on page 69 505thAirborne posted, here.

BTW Ruskii, sorry I haven't replied to your Con thread or PM, I'm still trying to work it all out, but it seems unlikley atm :(

He migh be referring to the images back on page 69 505thAirborne posted, here.

BTW Ruskii, sorry I haven't replied to your Con thread or PM, I'm still trying to work it all out, but it seems unlikley atm :(

Heyy, i missed those pics! Nice! Thanks heaps for that Tober. :D

I don't like the head sculpt sad to say, hope Toynami has something nicer.

I am preferring Scott's/Stick's Beagle than Toynami's now, it's the colour that puts me off with Toynami.

No worries about the con mate.

Looking over my Mospeada more closely I noticed some minor complaints-

1) the back end of the bike is a little warped so it doesn't line up with the front.

2) the rear wheel is not glued correctly around the inner edge of the tyre. That is, there is no glue on half of the inner edge.

Nothing major though. Very happy with how it turned out.

"You're a funny guy sully...I like you"

but in case you're really Stevie Wonder posting under the name RavenHawk, I was referring to the word CAD :lol:

More of a Ray Charles than a Stevie Wonder... but I'm actually asking what this means. What is Nadesico, and how is this possibly copyrighted 1998?

Edited by RavenHawk