About the Macross Chronicles

If you're still in SG, run down now to China Square Central, ground floor - 'ToysNToys' has every issue from 1 to 6 plus a stack of binders.

yup! managed to stumble into that place this afternoon. no more #1's though. but they still had piles of 2 to 6, so naturally i swooped them up :D didn't think twice if SGD12 per issue was a good price. i balked at the binders though which were SGD38 each :wacko:

Oh, yeah - ToysNToys wins over Kinokuniya for Macross Chronicle(s) :-)

I actually went to the Liang Court branch of Kino to get original, un-cut-out editions of issue 1 and 2 because TnT was doing a mass-coupon thingy for the limited Yamato toys, so all the 1&2s at TnT were already 'mutilated' in the bag. Turns out MC is ONLY available in small quantities at the Liang Court Kino branch (about 12-14 pcs per issue), and NO binders. Price-wise, 12SGD at TnT vs 14+ at Kino is no contest.

woah, hang on, there's another kino branch in SG?! i think i saw that Liang Court across the hotel. you think they still have MC1? might be able to squeeze a quick look tomorrow just before i leave for the airport. <fingers crossed>

what yamato toys are the coupons in MC1 and 2 for? i'm only interested in 1/60's.

woah, hang on, there's another kino branch in SG?! i think i saw that Liang Court across the hotel. you think they still have MC1? might be able to squeeze a quick look tomorrow just before i leave for the airport. <fingers crossed>

what yamato toys are the coupons in MC1 and 2 for? i'm only interested in 1/60's.

No more No. 1s? Really? I could've sworn there was still a stack left. And the Liang Court branch is actually the head office for Kino, magazine subscriptions have to be processed and picked from there, IIRC. But I'm also pretty sure there are no more No. 1s there... I bought the last few for me and a buddy weeks ago. PM me if you want my spare copy of MC 1.

Anyway, the coupon toys are for custom detailed 1/48s... not my cup of tea either. I'm really more interested in the postcard set that needs cover-cutouts for issues 3-10(?), but too bad TnT isn't rounding those up... probably no profit margin in it. :p

I really hope the VF-25 eventually gets as many pages as the VF-1J is getting.

Graham

I'm sure it will, but I'm also sure that it'll probably be one of the last things they get to...while no one's going to go into a bookstore and buy Perfect Memory these days, they will be trying to flog the Frontier books...and who will want them if the info is already avaiable in Chronicle?

Just for an update, Kinokuniya downtown Los Angeles was able to get me a subscription. Cost for one year... a whopping $265, however, this is including shipping sent by air. Basically, I'm paying $11.04 each issue. Oh, and they did have the latest issue of Macross Chronicle there at the store. I will be picking it up at the store too, since I work right across the street from there.

dropped by kinokuniya in singapore. very disappointed not to find macross chronicles. and the staff didn't register any recognition of it when i asked about the chronicles. ended up buying great mechanics dx5 and 6 as they had sections on SDFM, DYRL and MF. dx6 has an article on vf25 vs 27 but unfortunately i can't read japanese. dang, i regret not buying the chronicles in HK when i had the chance :(

You should've tried Just Toys n Toys over at China Square Center. They stock up on Macross Chronicle and lotsa macross toys. 10SGD for the chronicles. ;)

EDIT: Ooops....already suggested. XD

Edited by wolfx

Less than doubling of the price for an import into North America? Sounds like a good deal. In the end, you're only going to be paying about a hundred more than us locals. Which is a good chunk less than a price doubling.

Just for an update, Kinokuniya downtown Los Angeles was able to get me a subscription. Cost for one year... a whopping $265, however, this is including shipping sent by air. Basically, I'm paying $11.04 each issue. Oh, and they did have the latest issue of Macross Chronicle there at the store. I will be picking it up at the store too, since I work right across the street from there.

Less than doubling of the price for an import into North America? Sounds like a good deal. In the end, you're only going to be paying about a hundred more than us locals. Which is a good chunk less than a price doubling.

Yeah, the price we pay for importing just about anything Macross seems crazy, but it's better than paying about $16-$17 each one from ebay. So far, the first 5 issues that I have are proving themselves to be quite awesome. The artwork, and character stuff is my favorite, but I do think the idea of it all, is cool. Just more proof that the whole Macross franchise is willing to put product out there for the fans. I don't know if I'll be taking apart the books or not, but I will be getting the binders. The issues seem too cool to take apart, even though that is what's supposed to be done.

Yeah, the price we pay for importing just about anything Macross seems crazy, but it's better than paying about $16-$17 each one from ebay. So far, the first 5 issues that I have are proving themselves to be quite awesome. The artwork, and character stuff is my favorite, but I do think the idea of it all, is cool. Just more proof that the whole Macross franchise is willing to put product out there for the fans. I don't know if I'll be taking apart the books or not, but I will be getting the binders. The issues seem too cool to take apart, even though that is what's supposed to be done.

While there's no way to get around the expensive cost of importing from Japan, you should consider purchasing from either HMV Japan or Amazon.co.jp. They are selling the Macross Chronicle for $7-8 per issue, much cheaper than turnaround on eBay (and your merchandise is guaranteed, unlike auctions). You can also save considerably on shipping by ordering for 3-4 issues at a time. Both HMV and Amazon will keep your merchandise on hand for about a month until all issues are published, so you won't miss anything. You'll also find that by purchasing every one-to-two months, the cost is much easier on the wallet.

Yeah, the price we pay for importing just about anything from Japan seems crazy, but it's better than paying about $16-$17 each one from ebay. (...)

Fixed.

It's basically a combination of market price + shipping (most stuff takes a boat) + brokerage fees + customs fees (taxes, tariffs, etc.) + a whole additional layer of middle men (wholesaler/distributer/retailer & all the shipping between them).

Macross F 2059: MEMORIES - http://www.hlj.com/product/KDK54250 Dedicated art mag/book hey!

Anyone have any other info, pics of it? I'm gonna order one, never saw it on early bird though...

:editled:

Some info about that book, babelfished from Kadokawa comic website

Recording everything “of [makurosu] F”! Episode to last story at a stroke playback! The fan which gathered the name scene of [shieriru] & [ranka] and alto necessary plan and detailed mechanic explanation etc of seeing ......Complete standing matter!

Oh yeah :lol:

I want Chronicles to begin their complete coverage on Frontier (lineart, specs, and other blah-blah) :unsure:

If we're lucky, they are taking their time before releasing the Macross Frontier material so they can include a bunch of line art, full color beauty shots we've not yet seen and maybe even some Macross Frontier schematics :)

Contents for Chronicle #8:

Mechanic Sheet

* MWR-oo Mk. II Monster [Yeah!]

* VF-1J [Oh Mama, can this really be the end...?]

* U.N. Spacy ship [ummm...I can't quite read this one. Or rather, there's a kanji that I don't know, but I'm too lazy to go look it up.]

Character Sheet

* Millia Farina

* Lap Lamiz

* The Soldiers of Macross 7 [so...what? All the VF-11 cannon fodder? Dick? Morry? Who?]

Gallery Sheet

* Macross 7

Timeline Sheet

* The Macross Returns [Only one timeline sheet this time? Strange...]

History Sheet

* The Coming of the Protodeviln

World Guide Sheet

* The Zentradi

Song Sheet

* The Borderline / SANTI-U

Goods Sheet

* Character Goods: KyaraKon [Huh?]

* DVD

I'm guessing the Millia and Laplamiz pages are the TV versions...does this mean we'll also get pages for Millia 639 and Molk Laplamiz sometime down the road? (And would Molk Laplamiz be filed under characters or mecha...?)

Mechanic Sheet

* MWR-oo Mk. II Monster [Yeah!]

* VF-1J [Oh Mama, can this really be the end...?]

* U.N. Spacy ship [ummm...I can't quite read this one. Or rather, there's a kanji that I don't know, but I'm too lazy to go look it up.]

Perhaps we'll finally be done with the VF-1J. Only 7 or 8 more VF-1 variations to go. The UN Spacy ship probably means "Ships of UN Spacy".

Just picked up my issue #7 from Kinokuniya...I like the yf-21 delimiter mode pics, and the art of Zentraedi on the ice planet where they imprisoned the protodeviln. Hikaru's featured in one of the character sheets. Good stuff. 2 weeks till I get #8. My bookcase will be full of these in no time flat.

One thing bugging me about the Chronicle is that the cover art always features either mecha (by Tenjin, which is fine, no complaints) or characters from Frontier. I mean, Basara and Hikaru, even Misa deserve top billing, but this week Hikaru got bumped by a frickin' Super Valk? That's not on! I was expecting an awesome cover with Basara on it a few weeks ago, but instead it was that stock image of Ranka, and same with Misa and Sheryl. No more dumping on the classic characters!! (Could be worse, Mash could've been on the cover of issue 1... <shudder>...)

Or warships of the UN Spacy.

(...) The UN Spacy ship probably means "Ships of UN Spacy".

I think the Super VF will sell a bunch more issues than Hikaru. Not many people recognize any of the cast of Macross, but a heck of a lot recognize the VF-1, and a surprising number of people that I wouldn't normally expect to know Macross, recognize SDF:M and/or DYRL songs!

One thing bugging me about the Chronicle is that the cover art always features either mecha (by Tenjin, which is fine, no complaints) or characters from Frontier. I mean, Basara and Hikaru, even Misa deserve top billing, but this week Hikaru got bumped by a frickin' Super Valk? That's not on! I was expecting an awesome cover with Basara on it a few weeks ago, but instead it was that stock image of Ranka, and same with Misa and Sheryl. No more dumping on the classic characters!! (Could be worse, Mash could've been on the cover of issue 1... <shudder>...)

It'd be nice, sure, but let's face it...the cover is most disposable part of the magazine. Yes, it should attract the eye, but ultimately, most of the covers will end up getting thrown away, and the pages will be kept in the binder.

OK, so, maybe I'm a bit of a freeloader and a mooch... But has anyone made or know of scans of these awesome sounding pics? I can't get these at this point o' my life, but would love to see some of the pages. Issue 1, which I have seen was great!

I hear you. But magazine covers are meant to sell the magazines, and from I understand Frontier is very popular in Japan right now, so I expect Chronicles to reflect that. As for the mecha covers, I think sketchley's post summed it up pretty well. Maybe when (or if) Frontier fades from the spotlight we'll begin to see classic characters on the covers.

I'm scanning some select pages for translation work, but not much more than that. Was there a particular page form a particular issue that you wanted to see?

Honestly, I can't read a lick of Japanese, so most of the stuff in the Chronicle is of no value to me. I've also got a few of the TIAS books, and I've found stuff through the M3 and UNS Quartermasters, etc; so I'm not after old lineart either. It's mainly the new pictures, like the VF-5000, Q-rau & YF21; or the history sheets that interest me. I love Tenjin Hidetaka's artwork, so his new illustrations are what I'm really craving, as well as the "different perspective" stuff from the histories/tech.