About the Macross Chronicles

So, does anyone know how many issues there are?

I get mine directly from a person in Japan and he told me that there 50 issues planned, which I really doubt. I assume his English is not that great and might have used some on-line translator, which did not do the job too well!

Hmm......could it be the reinforcement rings??? I'm having difficulties flipping the pages with 8 issues on the binder. Seriously, I hve no intention removing the pages off from the binder every now and then just for a few glances :( Will take the challenge squeezing the remaining 2 issues, wish me luck!

Mmm, unless you're telling me that you stick the rings on BOTH sides of the pages? No, right? :-)

I've already split my collection into 3 binders... Only dilemma is whether to arrange by chronological order (M0 just before Frontier), or timeline (M0 first... yuck).

I get mine directly from a person in Japan and he told me that there 50 issues planned, which I really doubt. I assume his English is not that great and might have used some on-line translator, which did not do the job too well!

50 is not out of the question. Do check out some of the earlier replies on this thread. If they are REALLY thorough with the documentation of toys, especially from the TT/80s era, we may well need 2 binders just for the 'special sheets'. And then there's the Frontier Movie in 09... who knows what new stuff they could squeeze in there?

I've seen up to 50 mentioned somewhere - perhaps on the website for it? Nevertheless, if the publication remains popular, new Macross stuff is released, and things are spread out (a la the VF-1), then it could easily continue beyond 50.

IMHO, 50 was tossed out when they first started publication. Things may have been changed given the popularity of the publication. (All I can see is that the publication is selling out. I do not know if that means if shops are ordering just enough to cover demand, or not enough to meet it.

I've seen up to 50 mentioned somewhere - perhaps on the website for it? Nevertheless, if the publication remains popular, new Macross stuff is released, and things are spread out (a la the VF-1), then it could easily continue beyond 50.

IMHO, 50 was tossed out when they first started publication. Things may have been changed given the popularity of the publication. (All I can see is that the publication is selling out. I do not know if that means if shops are ordering just enough to cover demand, or not enough to meet it.

I think the "confirmation" that there are 50 issues comes from this:

http://books.shopro.co.jp/macross/backnumber/index.html

It's the "back issue" section in the Macross Chronicles website :)

edit: sp

Edited by GGemini

As GGemini said, there's space for at least fifty issues on the website, but that can always change. Lookat it this way: Macross is much longer than Evangelion, and the Eva magazine ran for thirty issues. On the other hand, Macross is much shorter than Gundam, and the Gundam magazine ran for 150 issues.

So somewhere between 30 and 150 is your current answer. Fifty seems a little short to me...there's A LOT of material to cover.

I guess it depends upon the mandate of the Macross Chronicle. What kind of material is it going to cover? So far, there doesn't seem to be much in the way of non-anime production trivia. And how thorough are they going to be in cataloging the Macross universe? So far they don't appear to be covering that much. The Macross Compendium seems more comprehensive in some ways, with the exception of the new information that the Chronicle has "invented" to fill out the Macross universe.

I think at the snails pace they are currently going, they could easily fill out 50 issues if they go through just the main valkyries and mecha. If they go further, into vehicles and ships, then it could easily expand much further.

Mmm, unless you're telling me that you stick the rings on BOTH sides of the pages? No, right? :-)

I've already split my collection into 3 binders... Only dilemma is whether to arrange by chronological order (M0 just before Frontier), or timeline (M0 first... yuck).

Nope, only one side........still there is no way I could contain 10 issues :(

For now, any series after Macross Plus will go to the 2nd binder. Most likely I will end up with ONE additional folder when the series end.

Hmm... that's not right. The stickers shouldn't be 'bound' to the binders. >(

I haven't received the #10, but from their web site it appears that the binder stickers will just come with issue #11. There doesn't seem to be any "new" binder release. i just got a 2nd binder myself too so hope this is correct!

http://books.shopro.co.jp/macross/binder/index.html#second

btw is anyone mailing in the first ten corners for the first batch of postcard present? The deadline is end of December.

I haven't received the #10, but from their web site it appears that the binder stickers will just come with issue #11. There doesn't seem to be any "new" binder release. i just got a 2nd binder myself too so hope this is correct!

http://books.shopro.co.jp/macross/binder/index.html#second

That's a relief...although I know I'll have to buy a third binder anyway, so why not now?

btw is anyone mailing in the first ten corners for the first batch of postcard present? The deadline is end of December.

I am! I am! But I've got to get them sent to one of my friends in Japan, and then she'll send them along to me. Getting them might be more trouble than it's worth.

That's a relief...although I know I'll have to buy a third binder anyway, so why not now?

Yup, it is quite likely there isn't ever going to be new binders, so if anything it's probably easier to get extras now than later.

Many of us are not in Japan so I don't think we apply.

Same here, I'm only asking the local bookstore where I get my Chronicle subscription from, to do it for me. They told me it should be fine although I might be charged for the postage. Not sure if I'll make the deadline though because this bookstore is slow and I'm only supposed to be getting #10 later next week, even if shipping is on time.

Yea I have to agree with Gubaba it's quite a lot of troubles...

Contents for Chronicle 12:

Mechanic Sheet

* VF-11 MAXL Kai (Hmmm....was anyone really clamoring for this one...?)

* Fulps Balence (Bodolzaa's fortress, right...?)

* SDF-1

Character Sheet

* Mylene Flare Jenius (Are they done with her yet?)

* Bodolzaa

Gallery Sheet

* Macross 7

Timeline Sheet

* The End of Space War I

History Sheet

* Miss Macross Contest

World Guide Sheet

* Inside the Macross

Song Sheet

* The Sound of You / Blue Aether

Goods Sheets

* Transformable Toy - Yamato SV-51

Extra Sheet

* Production Data: SDF Macross

Edited by Gubaba

Contents for Chronicle 12:

Mechanic Sheet

* VF-11 MAXL Kai (Hmmm....was anyone really clamoring for this one...?)

* Fulps Balence (Bodolzaa's fortress, right...?)

* SDF-1

Fulbtzs-Berrentzs. Yes, that's Bodolzaa's ship.

So are we done with the VF-1 yet or is there more entries to come? And it's about time they move on the VF-11.

Fulbtzs-Berrentzs. Yes, that's Bodolzaa's ship.

So are we done with the VF-1 yet or is there more entries to come? And it's about time they move on the VF-11.

Still nothing yet on the VF-1A, which will probably be many pages long, since there are so many variants...and the Armored Valkyrie...and then they have to do the DYRL VFs.

So yes, I definitely think there's more to come. :blink:

The Binder: went to two different bookshops. Both had 1 binder each on sale. Both are exactly the same as the first binder. I'm not entirely certain if they are "new" binders or overstoke from the first binder being sold.

Issue #11: stickers came with it.

Along with Mechanic sheet SDFM UNS Pg 09 統合軍車両. At first I thought it was an error. On the back of the cover, in the bottom left, it basically says that the sheet released in issue 9 is in error. The number was wrong. It's really SDFM UNS Pg 19 統合軍車両. It then goes on to say how apologetic they are, and that the correct sheet should be exchanged for the incorrect one, and to please keep lovingly reading Macross Chronicle.

Was this our first confirmed error?

Re: two binder filing instructions (follow or use your own):

There are two types of stickers, normal type and Zentraedi character [letter]. Use the sticker you prefer.

Binder 1: Mechanic sheet & Character Sheet.

Binder 2: Timeline sheet, history sheet, technology sheet, worldguide sheet, special sheet (gallery, song, goods, making, & extra)

Along with Mechanic sheet SDFM UNS Pg 09 統合軍車両. At first I thought it was an error. On the back of the cover, in the bottom left, it basically says that the sheet released in issue 9 is in error. The number was wrong. It's really SDFM UNS Pg 19 統合軍車両. It then goes on to say how apologetic they are, and that the correct sheet should be exchanged for the incorrect one, and to please keep lovingly reading Macross Chronicle.

Was this our first confirmed error?

Re: two binder filing instructions (follow or use your own):

There are two types of stickers, normal type and Zentraedi character [letter]. Use the sticker you prefer.

Binder 2: Timeline sheet, history sheet, technology sheet, worldguide sheet, special sheet (gallery, song, goods, making, & extra)

I still say the talk on the Minmay Character Sheet about Roy's VF-1J was the first real error, but this is the first error they've acknowleged (which is funny, because I remember looking at the sheet and thinking, "09? Shouldn't that be reserved for a Destroid?")

And glad the stickers came with the issue...I don't think there's any new type of binder.

two binder filing instructions (follow or use your own):

Binder flling istrutions

suuji.jpg

Filing_Step02.jpg

Lobi ;)

That's what I'm doing, putting Mecha and characters in folder 1 and all the other stuff in folder 2.

Graham

Will this change when Binder 3 came out? In the end probably it will became like this:

Binder 1: SDF:M

Binder 2: M2

Binder 3: MPlus

Binder 4: M7

Binder 5: M:Zero

Binder 6: M:Frontier

Will this change when Binder 3 came out? In the end probably it will became like this:

Given the quantity of material for SDFM and M7 (possibly MF, too), it's likely that they will take up more than a binder, each. The lack of material for the others implies less than a binder for each.

Nevertheless, as the magazine is only planned out to issue 5, it's currently only going to be 5 binders.

But what would you do with the Goods Sheets and the Timeline Sheets, both of which 'cross over" from one series into the next?

No, I think when Binder Three begins, they're tell us to put World Guide Sheets and Special Sheets in it.

Which issue is good? I can't read Japanese, so I kinda of want one with cool pictures. =P

Which one gives you the most for your buck?

It depends on what you like. If you want a big nice picture of the VF-1J, pick up issue 1. If you want a whole lotta Mylene, get issue 2.

Another thing that makes you question difficult to answer is that Macross Chronicle isn't really a normal magazine. It's a Macross Encyclopedia, released a few pages at a time, in seemingly random order. So if you like Basara's VF-19, you'll have to get issues 1 and 6, with more pages probably forthcoming in future issues. Think of it like trading cards, rather than a magazine.

Still, EVERY issue features a new bit of mecha art by Tenjin (he of the Hasegawa model covers) and a poster, and two-to-three other pieces of original art.

So again, "cool pictures" doesn't give me enough to go on. Specifically, what you like?

Think of it like trading cards, rather than a magazine.

Very apt analogy, for better and for worse :)

The Chronicle is probably published this way to entice fans to buy every issue, since no one issue will ever have everything the fan wants.

Very apt analogy, for better and for worse :)

The Chronicle is probably published this way to entice fans to buy every issue, since no one issue will ever have everything the fan wants.

Exactly

Issue 13 looks to be a feast for the mecha fans...

Mechanic Sheet

* MBR-04-MkVI Tomahawk

* SLV-111 Daedalus

* City Space Ship Altira [i didn't know what this was, so I looked it up on Japanese Wikipedia...who knew the submerged Protoculture city from DYRL had a name? Not me, apparently.]

* VF-22S Sturmvogel II

Character Sheet

* People of the Earth U.N. Forces [Like who? Admiral Hayase?]

* Misa Hayase [i thoght they were done with her...maybe it's the DYRL version...?]

Gallery Sheet

* Macross Zero

Timeline Sheet

* The Reconstruction of Earth [For my money, here's where we get to see how complete (or not) the Timeline Sheets are...how much space will they devote to the "lost" two years? Next test: how many pages 2012~2040 will take up.]

History Sheet

* The Crash of the ASS-1

Technology Sheet

* EX-Gear

Song Sheet

* My Beautiful Place / SUNSET BEACH

Extra Sheet

* Macross F Galaxy Tour FINAL

Edited by Gubaba

* City Space Ship Altira [i didn't know what this was, so I looked it up on Japanese Wikipedia...who knew the submerged Protoculture city from DYRL had a name? Not me, apparently.]

Me, me, me! I did! :)

Thanks for the heads up, Gub. I'm really looking forward to my next order, issues #7-11 (currently in transit). Can't wait! :)

Me, me, me! I did! :)

Thanks for the heads up, Gub. I'm really looking forward to my next order, issues #7-11 (currently in transit). Can't wait! :)

Ah...Atlita. THAT'S why nothing came up when I Googled "Altira" (except "Birdy the Mighty" stuff).

*sigh* That's what I get for not getting the Gold Book when I had the chance lo, these many years ago...I'm doomed to ignorance in the finer points of DYRL. :(