About the Macross Chronicles

:blink:

:huh:

VF-1 and VT-1 are related. The Galaxy Patrol Ship and the Variable Stealth Carrier are not.

Why do you say that?

The design aesthetics are definitely similar. Even the drop down bay on the underside and gatling cannon under the bow.

It strikes me as a derivative of the Stealth Carrier design, albeit not necessarily a stealth carrier itself.

I like the design of the stealth carrier, however the way they launched the fighters from it seemed pretty stupid to me... :rolleyes:

Edited by Zinjo

Cause of the part in Chronicle that says "not based on the Valhalla III". ;)

Seriously - it only looks similar to the untrained eye because both are drawn by the same artist. Look at the engines. The location of the bridge. The VF hangar/launch mechanism (or lack of). Not to mention that the shapes are really, really, really, really, reeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaallllllllllllllllllllllllllllllyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy different. Does it also need to be mentioned that one is capable of atmospheric flight and water landing, but the other is described as an "attack submarine carrier" (but isn't necessarily capable of atmospheric flight)?

Edited by sketchley

Cause of the part in Chronicle that says "not based on the Valhalla III". ;)

Well that is probably a good indicator.... B))

Seriously - it only looks similar to the untrained eye because both are drawn by the same artist. Look at the engines. The location of the bridge. The VF hangar/launch mechanism (or lack of). Not to mention that the shapes are really, really, really, really, reeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaallllllllllllllllllllllllllllllyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy different. Does it also need to be mentioned that one is capable of atmospheric flight and water landing, but the other is described as an "attack submarine carrier" (but isn't necessarily capable of atmospheric flight)?

I noticed the engines and bridge right off. I wasn't aware one was capable of atmospheric flight. However, I tend to expect all Macross capital ships are capable of atmospheric landing (typically in water), based on what we've seen in Mac Plus, 7 and Frontier. The only exception seems to be ARMD class carriers and first generation capital ships which appear to be space only.

Edited by Zinjo

So we're spending an all of this issue's Timeline section on Hikaru's day off..... :blink: Really?!?

It seems insane, doesn't it? But that's what it says: 輝の休日

Maybe we'll get a minute-by-minute account of him getting drunk after Kaifun pulls Minmay away...

(...) I wasn't aware one was capable of atmospheric flight. However, I tend to expect all Macross capital ships are capable of atmospheric landing (typically in water), based on what we've seen in Mac Plus, 7 and Frontier. The only exception seems to be ARMD class carriers and first generation capital ships which appear to be space only.

It's actually quite surprising the number of Macross vehicles that don't indicate they are designed for atmospheric use / aerospace use / water use. I'm now of the opinion that if it doesn't specifically mention it, it's not designed for it.

Take the Guantanamo Class vs. the Uraga Class: the former is called a space carrier, the later is called an aerospace carrier, and it is mentioned as having water going capabilities (I'll have to look a bit closer, but I believe it means not only able to land in water, but operate underwater.)

Edited by sketchley

It seems insane, doesn't it? But that's what it says: 輝の休日

Maybe we'll get a minute-by-minute account of him getting drunk after Kaifun pulls Minmay away...

And if you freeze-frame this section, you can see Misa's heart breaking when she see's Hikaru's reaction to Minmay's face as Kaifun pulls her away.

And if you freeze-frame this section, you can see Misa's heart breaking when she see's Hikaru's reaction to Minmay's face as Kaifun pulls her away.

You just gave me an image of Claudia finding Ralph Wiggum slouched in a bar singing "My Boyfriend's a Pilot" to himself... ^_^

Edited by Gubaba

Looking great for issue 18. VF-27 Lucifer and EX-Gear goodies. Can't wait for new trivia on the VF-27, even if it's just a little.

I hope the data on the VF-27 would be more significant! It's really the first look we have at it, and I can't wait for HQ scans to show up on your website :p

You'll be waiting for a long time. It's a publication still being published. Scanning issues (partial or completely) equates to less sales, which means an increased likelihood that the publication will be ended prematurely.

Go out and buy it, and support the cause.

Running through Iss17:

I'm a bit disappointed that the YF-19 C sheet is only on the transformation...

The sub is cool, and if I'm reading things correctly, it fired torpedoes at the wood boat Mao Nome was in in M0!

The big Sheryl Nome cover, as well as the focus on her for the Mihoshi Campus High School worldguide sheet is... well... couldn't they have given us a picture with something else more relevant to the high school? I'm sure having her on the cover will boost sales, but not following through (or following through in an oblique manner)?

The Grande Cannon tech sheet provides another imagination stimulating image; the article reconfirms that there was only 5 (planned, not necessarily completed) cannons.

I'm quite surprised that there isn't a gallery sheet nor history sheet this issue... saving up for Hikaru's big date? (In the grand scheme of things, it's not that big of an event, but (character) storywise, it's a pretty big scene.)

You'll be waiting for a long time. It's a publication still being published. Scanning issues (partial or completely) equates to less sales, which means an increased likelihood that the publication will be ended prematurely.

Go out and buy it, and support the cause.

I guess I wasn't clear enough. I already said that I would be buying the issue, and I was waiting to see Mr March put up HQ scans of the Pictures (retouched in his own unique way).

I guess I wasn't clear enough. I already said that I would be buying the issue, and I was waiting to see Mr March put up HQ scans of the Pictures (retouched in his own unique way).

Just remember that there will probably be three or four more sheets for the VF-27 that will be included with upcoming issues...you're not getting the complete article.

Just remember that there will probably be three or four more sheets for the VF-27 that will be included with upcoming issues...you're not getting the complete article.

Yep I know... I'm going to get the whole set of Chronicles eventually, but for now there's too much going on in toys and models and I have to ration my funds!

You were clear. What you're not realizing is:

a) there are other people who aren't as inclined to buy the publication and would rather get it for free

b) that the majority of the art in the publication comes already coloured and don't require any further retouching/processing/whatever

Please start thinking about the big picture, and not only about yourself, thank you.

Edited by sketchley

You were clear. What you're not realizing is:

a) there are other people who aren't as inclined to buy the publication and would rather get it for free

b) that the majority of the art in the publication comes already coloured and don't require any further retouching/processing/whatever

Please start thinking about the big picture, and not only about yourself, thank you.

No one's suggesting that people post up full page scans of the Chronicle.

Did Mr.March colored them? Damn you Mr.march, how much did they pay you for that? :p

No one's suggesting that people post up full page scans of the Chronicle.

Uhm, you did:

(...) and I can't wait for HQ scans to show up on your website :p
Edited by sketchley

Yes, I'll likely post some new scans of the VF-27 to replace the poor, Japanese magazine scans I'm currently using on the M3. But like I've said before, I won't be scanning/posting the majority of the Macross Chronicle. In fact, I'll likely be using very little of it. One, it's just not a good idea to scan and distribute a brand new product that is still being sold. Decades old line art that has rarely (or never) been republished for Macross shows that are now largely no longer watched by the 8-16 year old crowd is one thing; distributing Chronicle scans is another. Two, that is way more work than I will ever take on. Having said that, I don't see any harm in posting proper scans of the Battroid/GERWALK/Fighter pictures, since Big West has released such pictures into the public domain via the official Macross website anyway. The VF-25S Messiah pictures are going to be upgraded to new Chronicle scans I've made in the next update, but that kind of improvement is pretty much the furthest extent of what fans can expect to see of the Chronicle featured on the M3.

Edited by Mr March

Uhm, you did:

And I clarified with--

and I was waiting to see Mr March put up HQ scans of the Pictures (retouched in his own unique way).

Like Mr March says, "Don't jump to conclusions!" :p

The reason why I was thinking of scans of the VF-27 in the first place was that the current pics he has sucks, through no fault of his own.

Edited by edwin3060

I only now began buying this collection and only because HLJ finaly got the entire batch on their site.

I only have issues 1,2 and 5 with me, with the rest already on their way and i must say... THIS IS QUALITY STUFF.

You get 2 foldout pages (1 for the mecha section and 1 for the galery), lots of lineart and colored pics. And at 32 pages per issue, when 18 comes out you'll have 576 pages of Macross goodness. The only con is being in japanese only. Knowing that fans all over the world would probably get this they could have some english text, at least for the most important stuff.

But thats the problem with all japanese magasines and artbooks, not just Chronicles.

I for one, will keep buying it. B))

Edited by westfall

(...)

But thats the problem with all japanese magasines and artbooks, not just Chronicles.

I for one, will keep buying it. B))

My, this is a biased statement. It's a big world out there, sunny, and most of it does NOT speak English.

Speaking of English... it does have some, and yours... well, japan vs Japan. Big difference!

Edited by sketchley

My, this is a biased statement. It's a big world out there, sunny, and most of it does NOT speak English.

Speaking of English... it does have some, and yours... well, japan vs Japan. Big difference!

REALLY? Thank you for showing me the error of my biased ways. Better start sending emails to most of the fansubs out there and tell them to stop using english in their subs, they're being biased too, i guess. And the guys in these forums that are translating Macross Chronicles? I thought they were doing a great job but they better STOP because they're being biased, as well... and we wouldn't want that. Oh! HECK, contact the Forum Administrators, this whole site is mostly writen in English!!! It's like a conspiracy to erase every other language in the world :o

Sarcasm apart, "sonny", don't be so quick to point your finger at others. I may have not phrased the best way but take it easy there. Its a "problem" for those who don't read Japanese, i'm not saying they should stop using their language in the books they make. As i said, i buy these books for a long time and i don't really care what language they're writen in (don't take this to mean i don't like Japanese, i love the language and if i don't know as much as i would like, it's because i just don't have the time to study harder). I buy these books for the art within them and, as it has already been pointed out, to support the cause. I had no ill intention of starting a debate about about the fact that, when it comes down to it, most of the times, if a translation is made, it is in English. FACT, not bias. Me? I would prefer it if this got translated into Portuguese. To each his own.

Thanks however for pointing out the diference between "japan" and "Japan". That was my bad and i learned from it.

2 points, though:

1 - I know there's some English in Macross Chronicles but i was talking about actual text translation. Loanwords here and there don't count as such.

2 - I wasn't aware i needed to know perfect grammar to write in these forums, but judging from many other post i've read in this same site, it seems i don't, so... i'm guessing you're the only one who's taking names.

And English tips from a guy that called me sunshine? Thanks but no thanks. :)

Edited by westfall

Got my bulk finally and got the taste of the Chronicle. Its very nice indeed. There's actual quite a bit to read, and literally took me a couple hours to read an entire issue, not just glancing through pretty pictures quickly like most artbook or fanbook. And for whatever they covered, its in pretty good detail, detail enough to satisfy most Macross fans. And I like how they cross reference a lot of stuff, even with images or screenshots to make the referencing even more clear. I just wish the pages hold together better than they are now, as I was hoping to keep the books as is (even though I did get a binder) without taking the pages out. But this turn out to be impossible after reading the first issue with very light page flipping and handled with care. The pages still come off. Just suck if we end up need to get like 5 binders just to hold the whole thing. Having problem just figuring how to sort out the entire collection, and among a few binders.

One side note upon reading Chronicle is that, my respect to Tenjin's artwork declined. While its cool to have him do artwork for each issue (most of the covers too), it clearly showed that his artistry is not as high as I expected, when I mainly saw all his very detailed renders in his artbook and online pics. When given 2 week deadlines, his quality took a nose dive and some of them are so rough that I wouldn't call it done myself (I am a illustrator too). Not just because of the rough rendering (as some great art does come in rough), but there are misproportion and funny mistakes too. It showed that it took the guy a lot longer time to render out the nice stuff that he has been showing (and looks like he need the help of digital/photo manipulating to get the realism too). His straight painting pieces don't look so hot. Not to say his art is bad, as he still does cool stuff with given enough time, but he is not as good as I thought. On the other hand, I am glad that some of the other illustrators doing paintings for the technology/history sheets have pretty solid skills, which is a nice surprise. Making the extremely high price on collecting the Chronicle a bit more worthwhile.

Edited by mpchi

One side note upon reading Chronicle is that, my respect to Tenjin's artwork declined. While its cool to have him do artwork for each issue (most of the covers too), it clearly showed that his artistry is not as high as I expected, when I mainly saw all his very detailed renders in his artbook and online pics. When given 2 week deadlines, his quality took a nose dive and some of them are so rough that I wouldn't call it done myself (I am a illustrator too).

Why assume his talent is to blame? He does work on other projects concurrently, yes? I share the criticism (somewhat), but not the reason.

Why assume his talent is to blame? He does work on other projects concurrently, yes? I share the criticism (somewhat), but not the reason.

Mainly because I see that if you are a great artist, you nail your proportions and perspective even at a very rough state, and doesn't take much time to finesse and correct your mistakes as you draw and paint. The less you need corrections, the better you are. But in Tenjin's rough stuff, particularly issue 14, 15 it shows a good number of flaws on the structure and palette that I wouldn't even know its done by him without the name printed at the corner. And I wouldn't put up that kind of quality if I got the job doing a Chronicle cover.

So just saying I like his stuff less, now seeing his limits as an artist. But not saying he sucks (far from it), nor telling anyone not to like him.

Edited by mpchi

The general consensus on these boards is not to scan and post pics from active publications.

1.) Out of respect to the publishers and authors and their respective profit margins.

2.) To keep the publication alive as long as possible

3.) To promote more Macross productions through merchandizing.

Once the publication has made it's run, then the only ones who'll profit from it are re-sellers and auction sites. Neither of those contribute to new productions, so there's no harm at that point.

This is mostly for the new people, everyone fights no one quits....'er sorry got carried away there... :p

Edited by Zinjo

Chronicle 19:

Mechanic Sheet:

* VF-11B Thunderbolt

* VF-17 Nightmare

* CVS-101 Prometheus

Character Sheet:

* Myung Fan Long

* The People of Planet Zola

* Ozma Lee

Timeline Sheet:

* Empty Christmas [Why is it down to one episode per timeline sheet...? Oh well, next one's last one for SDFM, right?]

History Sheet

* The Zentradi Attack [Will this be the first History "B" Sheet...?]

Technology Sheet

* Natural Resurrection Plan [???]

Song Sheet

* VOICES / After, in the dark~Torch Song

Goods Sheet

* Takatoku Toys 1/3000 SDF-1 Macross

* Bender Toys