About the Macross Chronicles

I didn't have the ISBN number, so when I went in sometime in May, I asked about it, and ended up showing them the website. They wrote down the information and ordered it. Then when I picked up issue oone, I ordered issues two and three. Next week, I'll order four and five, and so on.

Hi Gubaba

did you happen to notice if they ordered a few extra issues in addition to yours to stock on their shelves?

thanks in advance

Hi Gubaba

did you happen to notice if they ordered a few extra issues in addition to yours to stock on their shelves?

thanks in advance

No, they didn't, unfortunately. At least not at the L.A. store.

It looks like back issues are being made available, though. If you call them soon, they'll probably be able to get it for you.

Got my first issue + binder in the mail today. Very awesome. (Too bad I can't read Japanese though.)

Has there been any consensus on the best means of acquiring the rest of the series (via subscription or similar means) for those of us in the US?

Well, I seemed to have gotten into the game a little late. I should have checked here first for the latest scoop. (Scoopeda!) I saw the first issue on ebay and judging from the pics they had of what was inside I decided to buy it thinking it was some sort of single issue magazine special about Macross. It was $9.99US, but the SAL shipping was only $6.00US. So, in the end I suppose it wasn't to terrible.

Today I ordering the binder and issues 2 and 3 from HMV with the option to hold shipment until the entire order is complete. Shipping all together is $13.92US, Total cost to me for all 3 items is $41.87US OUCH! :o I am now curious to know if they will charge my credit card right now or wait until time of shipment to accurately charge the shipping cost. I am thinking it would be better to pre-order future issues several at a time and use the hold option to combine the shipping.

I'm still not sure what my cheapest option is:

Buy it for cover price but high shipping from HMV (what's the shipping cost for single issue by itself I wonder?)

or

Buy them all off of ebay for higher cover, but lower/slower shipping.

Any advice would be appreciated.

I talked to the people at my local Japanese store and looks like I won't be getting the Chronicles. Because they don't carry it I have to make a special order for each copy and special orders have an extra $10 cover charge. So all up the thing will come to be over x4 times the price of the original sale price. Four times!

I thought I'll just get the binder if for nothing else I'll have this nice thing I have sit on my shelves. Nope, the damn thing will end up around $50. So it just ain't happening.

So for those who think it's too much however you're getting your copy, you ain't got nothing on me.

I talked to the people at my local Japanese store and looks like I won't be getting the Chronicles. Because they don't carry it I have to make a special order for each copy and special orders have an extra $10 cover charge. So all up the thing will come to be over x4 times the price of the original sale price. Four times!

I thought I'll just get the binder if for nothing else I'll have this nice thing I have sit on my shelves. Nope, the damn thing will end up around $50. So it just ain't happening.

So for those who think it's too much however you're getting your copy, you ain't got nothing on me.

FYI, if you're in the US, you could order from HMV.co.jp or something similar and get the first issue + binder for significantly less than $50.

I'm really kid of amazed at the prices people are dropping for these things. Consider individually the issues don't have much of value, and it'll take a while for you to complete the set (at a significant price), I think most people would be better off putting that money towards proper art books from the series.

I'm really kid of amazed at the prices people are dropping for these things. Consider individually the issues don't have much of value, and it'll take a while for you to complete the set (at a significant price), I think most people would be better off putting that money towards proper art books from the series.

Proper artbooks? That's if we get them (Zero/Frontier)

Is it possible they would ever put out a complete chronicles book that is hard bound or something after all issues have been published.

Nope, not at the moment. And it doesn't look like they plan to either

Have any publishers done this for other anime?

Chronicle is similar to the format of the Gundam Fact Files. Now, the Gundam Fact Files were released weekly for a span of 2 years. But granted they had 14 shows to cover.

Is it possible they would ever put out a complete chronicles book that is hard bound or something after all issues have been published. Have any publishers done this for other anime?

For the Evangelion Chronicle, Sony put out three books related to the series. This series was also produced by Weve. Side A and Side B (both out of print unfortunately, although you can probably find it on eBay and such) collected some pages (like character and goods info) from the issues into two 127 paged books. The Eva Chronicle series was about 32 pages each, so the complete 30 volume series was about 960 pages. The third (illustration) book collected the original illustrations (plus more) from the Chronicle issues.

Possibly Macross may see a book, but it would be a while before the announcement and I'm guessing it depends on the publication's popularity. Only issue one is out and if they announced something now I think a lot of people would pass on the bi-weekly publication.

Edited by lynn2009

I originally wanted to get it from my local store since it'd be easier that way if they were carrying the issues but the added hassle of having to do individual orders and the over the top costs involved put the brakes on that. Especially now since I've factored in the other stuff I'd be getting for the rest of the year.

The Frontier DVDs by themselves is going to cost a bundle, not to mention the other future Frontier merchandise. On top of that I'm also getting Rakkyo movies as well so in the end it's just as well I don't get the Chronicles. As much as I really want them.

There's no way they won't be releasing Frontier books, given the series' popularity. The Macross Zero point is valid, but that's going to be a small amount of the material in the magazines, does it really justify the cost?

Probably not, i guess most people want to get into these mags for the thrill of collecting and piling them all up for fun... but your right the cost is not justified.

I should thankyou than you giving me more reason to stay away from it, and hope for a proper art book for Zero and Frontier. ;) Thanks man.

I guess i could always get the issues that are Zero and Frontier saturated anyways. :p

Probably not, i guess most people want to get into these mags for the thrill of collecting and piling them all up for fun... but your right the cost is not justified.

I should thankyou than you giving me more reason to stay away from it, and hope for a proper art book for Zero and Frontier. ;) Thanks man.

I guess i could always get the issues that are Zero and Frontier saturated anyways. :p

YOU WILL BUY ALL MACROSS MERCHANDISE....

hypnotoad.gif

:lol:

Chronicles does appeal me since they covered Macross II (character and mecha), I wonder if Zero will get an proper artbook since I kinda feel the show is underrated.

As per Hypno-Toad's instructions, I finally got my binder today...the magazine itself was a little disappointing, really, but after putting the pages in a realizing how much room there is for more, I decided that this is going to be fun...

Is there any confirmed info on how many issues will be released to complete the set? I think I'm simply going to pre-order all available issues from HMV and "ship when complete" to save shipping costs. I determined they charge your credit card when the orders ships. I sent an inquiry to HMV to ask them if they will actually hold until issue 8 is released. I will let you know their reply. I ask because HobbyLink Japan, for example, has a policy that they will ship in 2 months whatever is in stock even if you ask to hold the entire order. It will be a long, long wait, unfortunately, to get my Chronicles. :( I already go nuts just waiting for the next episode to be released and subbed. I need to just order it and forget about it so that I can be surprised when the shipment gets to me.

Is there any confirmed info on how many issues will be released to complete the set? ...

They haven't said how many issues it will be unfortunately. It could very well go on for 2 years. What you can do is divide your shipments at HMV. That's what I did.

As far as I could tell from HLJ's website, they're not carrying Macross Chronicles. Is it some sort of special order or something?

Sorry for creating a confusion. No, HLJ does not have them for sale. I was just trying to use HLJ as an example of a website that has a policy to hold shipments for 2 months and ships regardless if it is complete or not. I will probably get them in batches of 4 to 8 at a time to save shipping I suppose. Also, I don't think I could wait any longer then that to get my hands on them. :D

YOU WILL BUY ALL MACROSS MERCHANDISE....

:lol:

Chronicles does appeal me since they covered Macross II (character and mecha), I wonder if Zero will get an proper artbook since I kinda feel the show is underrated.

Yeah, the fact that they're covering Macross II interests me a lot. As someone brought up in another thread, I'd really REALLY love to see them covering stuff from the old PC-98 and PC-Engine games, but that's probably asking for a bit much.

Edited by yellowlightman

Got a reply from HMV regarding holding an order.

"As for your inquiry, it depends on the delivery option you choose when placing an order.

We can either send the order when we receive all the items in your order

or we can ship the items already in stock by splitting your delivery to two times.

Although your shipping fees will be revised, this option will cost you the delivery charge twice."

So, as I suspected there doesn't seem to be a time limit on how long they will hold items. If you want to wait and send the entire order complete they will do so.

That's it for me then. I will simply pre-order a batch of issues do the "ship when complete" shipping option, and try to be patient and wait a couple of months to get my batch of issues. This seems to be the most economical way for me to get them.

I suppose I won't be buying any more art/sketch books for a while, or at least until the Chronicles is complete.

They haven't said how many issues it will be unfortunately. It could very well go on for 2 years. What you can do is divide your shipments at HMV. That's what I did.

Although it's not an exact number, it looks like Macross Chronicle will be at least 50 issues, per the official website.

http://books.shopro.co.jp/macross/backnumber/index.html

Could always change, depending on popularity (like getting cancelled early).

Got a reply from HMV regarding holding an order.

"As for your inquiry, it depends on the delivery option you choose when placing an order.

We can either send the order when we receive all the items in your order

or we can ship the items already in stock by splitting your delivery to two times.

Although your shipping fees will be revised, this option will cost you the delivery charge twice."

So, as I suspected there doesn't seem to be a time limit on how long they will hold items. If you want to wait and send the entire order complete they will do so.

That's it for me then. I will simply pre-order a batch of issues do the "ship when complete" shipping option, and try to be patient and wait a couple of months to get my batch of issues. This seems to be the most economical way for me to get them.

I suppose I won't be buying any more art/sketch books for a while, or at least until the Chronicles is complete.

Sharky can you provide a link to HMV website for me please?

Quickie review (or how to justify buying Chronicles #2 when you have a bunch of Macross Books on the shelf):

Note: this is all ignoring the Japanese text, which may or may not be the same as in the books mentioned.)

VF-1J Tawnie (front), VF-1J Rocket Booster & Full Armour (back) = Macross Perfect Memory

DYRL SDF-1 centerfold (front), alternative views, Ghost, Super VF and some destroids (back) = TIA-TS:DYRL and/or The Gold Book

SNN Valkyrie (front), cockpit, booster & Gerwalk mode (back) = TIA: MII

Soldier(s) of the Anti-UN (front & back) = aside from one piece that has been enlarged and colourized for this release, it is all new stuff. Macross Zero line art: woot! woot!

Mireena Farena Jiinasu (2 pages, front and back) = aside from 2 or 3 pieces of fashion/character art, all in TIA:M7 animation Materials and TIA:M7

Macross Zero timeline (2 pages, front and back) = aside from a front view of a Tawny VF-0A and blue VF-0D, it's all captures from the anime and lineart from the 4th DVD's booklet.

"Little White Dragon" history sheet (front and back) = Macross Perfect Memory

Macross F Gallery sheet (front and back) = OT and ET CD singles & Newtype splash page

Kawamori Shouji interview = (accompaning line art from rough art at the end of) Macross Perfect Memory

Dakedo baby (front), Sweet Fantasy (back) song lyrics = surprisingly, they're not in the lyrics section in the Fire Bomber in M7 Roman album. Not sure if they're found elsewhere (aside from M7/Firebomber CDs)

Yamato 1/60 VF-1S Super (front & back) = see toy box (released 2008.06)

Yamato (front), YF-19, YF-21 & VF-11B (back) see toy boxes (all released 2008.06)

Edited by sketchley

Not surprising. There was very little text in the TIA:MII book, either. It's also amusing that they have the predecessor vehicle listed as a question mark.

They probably couldn't get a hold of Shinichi Iguchi to get any more information on the details.

My guess is it's a derivative of the VF-2JA, the design elements are very similar.