About the Macross Chronicles

Cover for issue 3.

1217264664-0027.jpg

They're taking their own sweet time with the timeline, aren't they? Only up to the APHOS Incident...? It'll be quite a while before they get up to Frontier...more if they decide to fill in the missing 28 years between SDFM and M+.

And Ranka and Basara for the major characters (they seem to be getting all the singers out of the way first, don't they?), and, for the ones no one cares about...Kate and Morgan? :blink:

I defintely want to see the Hasegawa article, too...

Guys please, whats the best english site to order for a subscription? Overdrive is twice the price in subscription?

And normal price for Single issues are much cheaper than getting a sunscription? Or is that coz shipping is included? lol Confused...

I don't really care for the binder at all. I can make a better one. Why hasn't hlj.com gotten into this? Atleast then we could use SAL.

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

Guys please, whats the best english site to order for a subscription? Overdrive is twice the price in subscription? And normal price for Single issues much cheaper? Confused...

I don't really care for the binder at all. I can make a better one.

I ordered mine through Kinokuniya and picked it up at the store. $8.70 plus tax.

I ordered mine through Kinokuniya and picked it up at the store. $8.70 plus tax.

Subscribed from the same chain for a year, but will subscribe locally for further issues when the subscription runs out...

Thats always the problem with these kinds of magazines. But believe me, 50 or 100 issues on you"ll be glad you have those binders!

I heard it is supposed to be in the 50 issue range, but they completely weren't sure at the time of the discussion with the bookshop.

Sorry, I didn't see this message. The only thing I can recommend doing is printing up the Macross Chronicle homepage and giving them the website http://books.shopro.co.jp/macross/, with the pricing and publisher visible (which is Weve and Shogakukan-Shueisha Productions 株式会社ウィーヴ|小学館集英社プロダクション). Even when I placed my order successfully at San Jose's Kinokuniya with the e-mail I got from them, they still needed to look up information about the magazine. Took about five minutes (I was picking up my Newtypes anyway), but all was successful.

Good luck! Hopefully it won't be too hard, except on the wallet.

I've e-mailed my australian Kinokuniya shop, with some links to help them find what i'm after.

Any other aussie buying from them? please let us know. Amazon is always down for me, so i can't visit any links from there...

I've contacted my local Japanese bookstore and looks like I have to make a special order for it. On top of that I'll be paying an extra $10 on top for it. *sigh*

Basically that means that each copy will be well over twice what it originally costs in Japan when the currency conversion and shipping costs is all factored in. I'm tossing and turning if I can afford it now.

Got my shipment today and I've had a chance to look it over.

As we all know, the Macross Chronicle is not one book but a series of loose-leaf style sheets inside a thin folder (with three-hole punch in each sheet). The first issue contains 20 pages and each issue is divided into specialty sheets titled Mechanic Sheet, Character Sheet, Timeline Sheet, World Guide Sheet, History Sheet, Technology Sheet, Gallery Sheet, Song Sheet, Goods Sheet, and four other miscellaneous sheets named Glossary, Tribute, Making and Extra Sheets. Each Macross Chronicle issue is made to fit inside a Macross Chronicle binder (sold seperately) which features dividers for 7 categories; Mechanic, Character, Timeline, History, Technology, World Guide and Special.

Macross Chroncile Issue One details the VF-1J Valkyrie, including a 2-page fold out painting of the fighter mode in high detail colors, drawn by Tenjin Hidetaka (known for his beautiful Macross art work on the Hasegawa model boxes and his own Tenjin Hidetaka Valkyrie Artworks of Macross book). There is not an abundance of line art to be found here but the VF-1J section does include line art of VF-1J white/red in full color Fighter and Fighter ventral view, full color Battroid and Battroid rear view and full color GERWALK and GERWALK rear view. Also included are full color pictures for all modes of the Max and Milia variants of the VF-1J Valkyrie. Also included is the VF-19 Excalibur Custom Sound Booster (color Battroid mode only) sheet, Lynn Minmay Character Sheet, Haruhiko Mikimoto Gallery Sheet (with another 2-page fold out painting), Mash Macross II Character sheet, 1999-2004 Timeline Sheet, Sharon Apple History Sheet, Technology Sheet, Sheryl Nome Song Sheet, the old Bandai 1/55 scale VF-1J transformable toy Goods Sheet, a subscription sheet and a Yamato advertisement sheet for the VF-1A Valkyrie 1/48 scale Max and the VF-1S Super Valkyrie 1/48 scale Hikaru weathered.

Without a doubt the Macross Chronicle is designed to be a fan book. It's filled with plenty of flavor text, official trivia and is very colorful. It's designed to cover ALL aspects of the Macross universe, NOT focus upon only one facet of the fiction. So it cannot be emphasized enough that - based on the mechanic sections of issue 1 - the Macross Chronicle is NOT a replacement for the art books of the Macross Mecha, like the Shoji Kawamori Macross Design Works book for example. Other than the full color pictures, there is not a lot of extra line art to admire and most of the non-color pictures are small. However, since this is the first time we've ever seen the Macross mecha colored in a collected work, this book is a real treasure.

Speaking as owner of the Macross Mecha Manual, the coloring is definitely a step up from my own coloring work :)

Here's some pictures:

post-114-1217382729_thumb.jpg

post-114-1217384417_thumb.jpg

post-114-1217384432_thumb.jpg

got a reply, i'm happy! :) gotta get the first 2 though. No sweat.

Thank you for your inquiry for Japanese magazine subscription. Macross Chronicles is available for subscription, but the subscription will start from the issue published in September. That means the first issue you will receive would be 3rd one. If you want to do the subscription, please fill out the application form attached and send back to us. The invoice will be issued and sent to you.

To get the first and second issue, please contact our Japanese Dept. (02 9262 7996) to see if the back issue is available in Japan. As we don’t carry this magazine in stock in Sydney, a shipment needs to be organized from Japan as per customer’s request.

Kind Regards,

Tsune Fukamachi (Mr.)

深町 恒之

Department Manager

Business Sales Department

Kinokuniya Bookstores of Australia Pty. Ltd.

Level 2, 500 George Street, Sydney, NSW 2000 Australia

(PO Box A2640 Sydney South, NSW 1235 Australia)

Tel: 61-2-8251-4549 Fax: 61-2-8251-4536

Email: fukamachi@kinokuniya.co.jp

Homepage: www.kinokuniya.com

Gonna report back to yas about the shipping costs, for fellow aussies.

I totally missed this thread (due to avoiding spoilers for Frontier), and it seems like only yesterday i was saying how cool would it be to have a monthly Macross Mag subscription! :D great stuff!

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

I think the main reason i want to get all these (along with all the other reasons!) is that we could get some really good un-released sketches from Zero.

Totally feel sad Zero never got a real art book for itself.

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

I'm gonna call up my local Kinokuniya to order my issues. Hopefully they'll have them in stock.

BTW. On a related note Kinokuniya had a booth at SDCC, they were charging no tax on ALL of their merchandise.

The only Frontier stuff they had was the August 2008 issue of Animedia magazine.

Here's the kicker. They had the Frontier soundtrack on continuous playback on Saturday at the exhibition hall.

Macross Chronicle

Price  $15.32          

Times 6 (month) (but i thought it was every 2nd week??)         

Disc% 10%          

Total Price $82.73          

Order Total 1   $82.73

Postage: $72.00

Amount Payable $154.73

(Inclusive of GST ) $14.07

sh^t. Hows this compare to what you guys are getting yours for?

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

Without a doubt the Macross Chronicle is designed to be a fan book. It's filled with plenty of flavor text, official trivia and is very colorful. It's designed to cover ALL aspects of the Macross universe, NOT focus upon only one facet of the fiction. So it cannot be emphasized enough that - based on the mechanic sections of issue 1 - the Macross Chronicle is NOT a replacement for the art books of the Macross Mecha, like the Shoji Kawamori Macross Design Works book for example. Other than the full color pictures, there is not a lot of extra line art to admire and most of the non-color pictures are small. However, since this is the first time we've ever seen the Macross mecha colored in a collected work, this book is a real treasure.

Thanks for the review. It simply is amazing, and sigh too bad it won't have english text cuz it does look like lotsa juicy information from vol 1 alone. Hopefully scanlations will appear sometime in the near future.

Getting worse and worse.

As I checked the website, Macross Chronicle is issued every two weeks, and the price per issue is actually $17.74, not $15.32, as only the first issue (published on 24th July) is 590yen but the following issues will cost 690yen.

I created the new invoice, so please have a look at it.

However, since this is the first time we've ever seen the Macross mecha colored in a collected work, this book is a real treasure.

That's not entirely true: both Entertainment Bibles and the original Macross TIA books all have color section for VFs, destroids and main spaceships. ^_^

That's a great price. All you provided was an ISBN number?

ISBN is the be all for book shops. You got that and they can track anything down for you. The only reason you won't get it even if you provide it is either they can't or won't. Since they want your cash they will give it a good try.

Yeah, that's exactly the same problem I'm having. It's awfully expensive and frequency it comes in will bleed my wallet so much it hurts.

So... Still going for it?

Nope, i e-mailed Overdrive, and they are tossing the idea around on doing a 10 issue at a time (send two issues per month) deal.

here is their reply, i hope they don't mind me letting yas know, but remember it's only an idea, nothing official.

Sir

This is what we were offering. Not sure if we will really do it at this

point.

Macross Chronicle Subscription Information

Please note the publishers are at the present

taking only 10 issue subscriptions and the total number of issues are

still to be determined.

10 issue Subscription

10issue x $11 =$110

Shipping Fees: Will be sent by letter mail two issues at a time. Fees

will depend on where you live but will be close to $10 each time.

As a example(If shipping is $10 each time)

5 x $10=$50

Total Amount: Around $160

Best Regards

--

OverDrive Info <info@over-drive-inc.com>

So, a bit better ani't it?

My maths is sucky, but i can see a difference. :lol:

So thats 12 issues in 6 months which equals to - $263.59

Comments?

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

So, a bit better ani't it?

My maths is sucky, but i can see a difference. :lol:

Comments?

Don't need to be a math genius to tell ya that "around 160" for 10 is way better than 263 for 12, though you seem to have figured that out yourself.

Still *feels* expensive to me, but that's probably because I have no idea how much an australian dollar is, so I subconsciously think US dollar :p

lol i was being sarcastic whilst taking a humble shot at myself. That's why i'm married! (she's the smart arsed teacher/wannabe lawyer)

have you ordered anywhere yet?

Yeah Overdrive's deal is the best by far and they are only asking you to commit to less issues in each subscription. That way if for whatever reason you have to quit it's going to cost you less as well.

Me? I still don't know. I'm 50/50 either way at the moment. I'm heading off to the store tomorrow to pick a mag up so I guess I make my final decision then.

Edited by Strumvogel

I didn't have the ISBN number, so when I went in sometime in May, I asked about it, and ended up showing them the website. They wrote down the information and ordered it. Then when I picked up issue oone, I ordered issues two and three. Next week, I'll order four and five, and so on.

wolfx

You're welcome. I thought it important most people know specifically what the Chronicle is and what it isn't. Still, it might be important to keep track of this series. While there's not a lot of line art for stuff like the VF-1J and VF-19 Custom in this first issue, the later issues that focus on Macross Zero and Macross Frontier will be worth buying due to the lack of published materials.

Nexx Stalker

Okay, the first book in some 20 years (or some very long time), ya nitpicker :)

Edited by Mr March