Macross Zero Destroid

Graham

Guys, the new October 2003 issue of Dengeki Hobby magazine, just out today has exclusive first look pictures of the new Destroid design from Macross Zero, that briefly appeared in ep# 2 and should make a bigger appearance in ep# 3.

Looks like those who theorised about the Destroid having hands on the elbows ala the VB-6 guessed correctly.

Graham

I'd call it the Phalanx, except there already is one, but looking at it I can't help but think that from looking at its configuration, so instead I will call it the CIWS destroid. I say that because well, look at it, it's got a CIWS search/track radar on its right shoulder and what appears to be a vulcan on each arm, ok a much larger caliber, so maybe more like a GAU-8A on each arm or even bigger, that would be insane though. That beast is a rolling air defense destroid, I like it, now it just needs an ESSM or RAM launcher on its back as well and it would be perfect, hehe.

I guess it can't be helped that this series will also end up looking more advanced than the originals...

That's kinda my point about Macross zero, how realistic is it that all the mechs appear more advanced than those from the original series that came after them?

I guess it can't be helped that this series will also end up looking more advanced than the originals...

That's kinda my point about Macross zero, how realistic is it that all the mechs appear more advanced than those from the original series that came after them?

The same problem can be found in all prequels/retcons stuff...

But I do feel like you on this point. Of course, I don't want Macross Zero to be a doppleganger of First Macross, but I would have like a bit more of "visual continuity".

Also, what bugs me in the Macross universe is the uniforms and pilot suits change with every friggin' series ? God knows Gundam has his continuity problems, but the fact the Feddies keep the same uniform for decades and decades is a very nice touch. For example, it would have been a nice touch to see Isamu or Gamlin wear a slightly updated version of Hikaru's uniform.

PS: This Destroid is hot, but I still prefer the classic ones.

Another example of this is Gundam 0080: War In The Pocket vs. Gundam 0079. The MS in 0080 look waaaay more advanced than 0079, but it's still supposed to be taking place in (roughly) the same timeframe.

The newer animation will always look more advanced than the older. Just use your imagination, for Pete's (wicked ale) sake.

Another example of this is Gundam 0080: War In The Pocket vs. Gundam 0079. The MS in 0080 look waaaay more advanced than 0079, but it's still supposed to be taking place in (roughly) the same timeframe.

True. One day I showed CCA and then 0083 to a buddy of mine, and he was like: "Hey, why do the good guys pilot boxy Jegans ?" (ie GM Custom).

:p

...the new Destroid design from Macross Zero, that briefly appeared in ep# 2 and should make a bigger appearance in ep# 3.

It showed up in Mac 0?!? Which scene?:huh:

double edit: I kinda wish Yamato would produce some ground based mecha, I'm kinda getting tired of just buying valks (not that it's a bad thing - just need some variety) ;)

Edited by vf1_soulja

I like! but I still prefer the chunyness of the old destroids. they were just more intimidating IMHO

Hey that looks like a monster proto in the mid fare right of the picture!!!!

Edited by GobotFool

Here only for a second on the beach

Thanks Yohsho, I'll have to pop in the DVD to check it out. :)

I'm surprised that nobody's mentioned just how small it seems. Judging by the human profile next to it, this thing is substantially shorter than the classic destroids. And it does seem a little too "Armored Core" in appearance, but I think it's cool nonetheless.

Whats up with the wheels? Does it rooler skate like Heavygear or Votoms :p

They... most likely the legs weren't strong enough to carry the weight of the destroid, so the wheels would help to move it around, while leg movements would be used for smaller movements, such as correcting aim or something.

I don't know why people are automatically assuming that this thing is more advanced than the classic destroids. Didn't we go through this with the VF-0 until we learned that it didn't even have fusion engines? For all we know, this thing has 1/3 the armor of a Tomahawk, and 1/2 the ammo capacity of the Defender.

I don't know why people are automatically assuming that this thing is more advanced than the classic destroids. Didn't we go through this with the VF-0 until we learned that it didn't even have fusion engines? For all we know, this thing has 1/3 the armor of a Tomahawk, and 1/2 the ammo capacity of the Defender.

Thats why I said the legs couldn't probably stand the weight of the mech just yet.... hence the use of wheels. <_<

For all we know.... it could've been slapt together with spare parts of other destroids. :ph34r:

Very cool! I like that design. The destroids are so underrated in Macross.

I think so too.....I'd love to see MORE destroids aiding the Skull Squadron in the rest of the Macross Zero OVA's. The only time we see Destroids in DYRL they were getting pasted by various Zentradi mechs.

Very cool!  I like that design.  The destroids are so underrated in Macross.

I think so too.....I'd love to see MORE destroids aiding the Skull Squadron in the rest of the Macross Zero OVA's. The only time we see Destroids in DYRL they were getting pasted by various Zentradi mechs.

A Monster did cut a Zentradi heavy fighter in half in the beginning of the movie. Plus we see a bunch of them unloading missile salvos inside Bodolzas fortress.... they did get enough of glorious screen time. :)

I like! but I still prefer the chunyness of the old destroids. they were just more intimidating IMHO

Hey that looks like a monster proto in the mid fare right of the picture!!!!

As someone said it before on another post, prequals seem very popular (Star Wars, Star Treck, etc) <_< . Depending on how a product is approached, an artist or mech designer will put their own spin on a storyline even with the history they are given. Personally, I have to agree with a lot of people that it seems a little more advanced in terms of its design then the destroids of the orginal series.

The one thing I'd change about it are the legs. If the upper body is designed like that, I think the legs should be humanoid, not inverted.

True.....it's guess it's pretty hard to make the transition from pen to paper. Looking at Kawamori's sketches compared to the CG work, it looks like they weren't able to fit in ALL the details. But still.....gotta love dem Destroids. B)

Technology perhaps? This looks to me like a "jumping" destroid... thats why the legs are like that. Perhaps the impact is lesser with the legs bent like that under atmosphere. You never see the SDF Macross destroids jumping around. They are mostly stationary.

Also... look at the big vernier thruster on its back. It seems to me like this is a long range interceptor Destroid. :ph34r:

I agree.. they look very much like the mecha from Armored Core. But that's cool. I like that series. I'm not sure if these bad boys will get very much screen time though.. I'm hoping. :D

I am curious as to how the hands are used? It looks like the arms turn around, but if you look, it looks like the fists are upside down......so, unless I looked at it wrong, how does the arm turn to let the hands be used?

Larry

I am curious as to how the hands are used? It looks like the arms turn around, but if you look, it looks like the fists are upside down......so, unless I looked at it wrong, how does the arm turn to let the hands be used?

Larry

Robot hands.... not need to worry about twisted wrists. B)

I doubt Yamato would dare try to make this into a toy. After all, it has hands. Hands!

And we all know that if the hands don't look perfect. . . the entire toy then sucks. :p