Macross Frontier Episode 6 Talkback Thread *READ 1st Post*

azrael

Episode 6 Rating  

205 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate Episode 6?

• Positive (Prelude to action?!?!?!?!?!)
    • Neutral/No Opinion
    • Negative ("Bye Bye Sheryl"? More like "Good Riddance")

Who knows... OTOH, Macross 7 was routinely drawn out of scale with other ships. Not so easy when it's all done in CGI with this series. Even Miyatake's City 7 designs showed buildings within that didn't match anything we saw on the ground floor, and at wierd sizes too. Some of those buidlings would ahve had floors the size of football fields!

Anyway, Even with the larger Island 1, Battle 25 still looks smaller proportionately than Battle 7 did. I'd not hesitate to say that Battle 25 is supposed to be a "standard" New Macross ship that was simply tagged to a larger city ship than City 7. Macross Frontier has wisely stayed away from really showing Battle 25 so we wouldn't worry about it; but I'm hoping with everyone else that she'll kick some ass with her Macross Cannon later in the show.

Mark

Weird, to me (looking at the Battle 7/City 7 front schematic) the proportions between the Macross 7 and Macross 25 look roughly in line with each other. Maybe it's just perspective playing on me. The Macross Compendium entry does say the Macross Quarter is supposed to be the same size as regular carriers. This would place the Macross Quarter in the 400-550 meter long range if we assume "regular carriers" refers to the Guantanamo and Uraga Class ships.

Edited by Mr March

I hereby react my previous comments about pacing I made in reference to episode 5. Sure, little actually happened this episode, but all the threads came together. The love triangle advances a fraction, Ranka and Sherl gets some development, the secret is out about the Vajra, the new UNS seems to something useful finally, a new Macross class ship is introduced, and the promise of some Konig monster action next episode.

Kickass.

Gotta agree. Anyone complaining about animation quality is really splitting hairs IMO. It was just fine IMO, while it WAS clearly done by a different studio than the first batch. It's not an Animefriend debacle in my view. If this is the B-game animation, we really don't have much to worry about.

Mark

The animation quality will go up again, I'm certain of it.

Episode 6 seems to have been animated by the guys who did episode 4. If you look at the faces of the SMS crew and their relative lack of detail and how sloppy their expressions are drawn (sexual harrassment - she enjoys it scene), you'll see it's the same artist at work.

Episode 5 had vastly upgraded and better looking characters and detail (Klan Klein looks completely different for example, much less 2D). Episode 5 is back to the quality animation and I think episode 7 will be too. I guess it will see saw through the series depending on where they want to spend the budget.

Edited by ComicKaze

Hey I haven't seen the episode yet. Macross Quarter and Battle 25 are the same ship??? If yes: is in control of SMS or NUNS?

Nein.

Also, go back through this page and the page before and you'll be filled in on the details.

Hey I haven't seen the episode yet. Macross Quarter and Battle 25 are the same ship??? If yes: is in control of SMS or NUNS?

Macross Quarter seems to be solely operated by SMS, maybe it was created by this Mr.Birla, Episode 6 told us that the ship itself has been a subject of negotiations between NUNS and Mr.Birla.

Maybe Mr.Birla is Aeolia Schoenberg (Gundam 00) in Macross Universe :rolleyes:

That is even smaller than the main carriers at that era (Guantanamo ^400 m, Uraga ~550 m). I think the Quarter is 1/4th size of a New Macross class (1,500 m), so the Quarter should be around 400 m).

Kinda small I think, I wish it was bigger, maybe around 500m-800m would do. Judging from the deck shot from ep.6 I think the front "carrier" arm itself is around 300 m.

Yeah, looking at those fighers parked on the deck, it doesn't look any larger than a present-day aircraft carrier. I'd say it's about the same size as old Prometheus, or maybe one of the ARMD's. Did they ever release official specs? We'll be squabbling on this one for months if not ...

So are all those turrets you see on Quarter controlled by computer, or is sms squirreling away a crew big enough to man that ship? 1/4 the size nothing, that thing is still huge and would take a large number of hands to make battle ready. They have to have some red shirts to blow to atoms, after all. So many questions ... Does it have any destroids pop out of hatches and shoot stuff? Can it dock with Battle 25 a la Daedelus and smack some uppity hoes around?

When does the new one come out? (sigh)

Edited by Batou

Gotta agree. Anyone complaining about animation quality is really splitting hairs IMO. It was just fine IMO, while it WAS clearly done by a different studio than the first batch. It's not an Animefriend debacle in my view. If this is the B-game animation, we really don't have much to worry about.

Mark

I agree for the most part. I do wish they hadn't made the decision to change to a different studio for episode 6 and hope they go back to their primary artists sooner rather than later. But there can never be another situation like Anime Friend/STAR PRO, mainly because of the CG work (take that CG detractors). And as bad as the character art was in episode 6 of Macross Frontier, it's no where near as bad as the drop between the Studio Nue work and the Anime Friend/STAR PRO animation in SDF Macross. I'd prefer the primary animators do the work, but if episode 6 is the worst it ever gets on Macross Frontier, I can stomach it a lot easier.

I agree for the most part. I do wish they hadn't made the decision to change to a different studio for episode 6 and hope they go back to their primary artists sooner rather than later. But there can never be another situation like Anime Friend/STAR PRO, mainly because of the CG work (take that CG detractors). And as bad as the character art was in episode 6 of Macross Frontier, it's no where near as bad as the drop between the Studio Nue work and the Anime Friend/STAR PRO animation in SDF Macross. I'd prefer the primary animators do the work, but if episode 6 is the worst it ever gets on Macross Frontier, I can stomach it a lot easier.

AnimeFriend/StarPro thing was during ye olde days of animation so it could hardly be used as a yardstick today for bad animation since most anime during those days were just....well...bad. Frontier's art/animation is bordering on today's anime standards of bad. Which is jarring really as the backgrounds and the scenes are beautiful. But from next episode preview, it would seem the quality is back up.

That said I almost cried when Ranka looks up into space where the ships folded out with Diamond Crevasse playing in the background.

Mark

Would you be content if the entire series had 2D art and animation from the same studio that did episode 6?

This episode was uh... "cute" but boring. Hot on the heels of Star Date I think I had had my feel of dialogue and romantic bumbling only to get slammed with another full 22 minutes of it. Really, I might not have minded it so much but Star Date leaves you so primed for a good scramble order that Bye Bye Sheryl never delivers on. I get the feeling this will be an oft skipped episode when DVDs of this series are available. There are worse things than boring though and I'm sure the reward for this episode will be delivered in a later episode when this character development starts paying off.

Watched both the Gattai and AiA I-Z subbed versions. I enjoyed the episode more with being able to understand the dialogue, than I did watching the raw version.

On second and third viewing, the character animation didn't seem as bad as it did the first time I watched the episode. Still hope the regular studio is back on art duties from now on. Anybody knows which studio(s) did the animation for eps 1-5?

Gattai does seem to be improving in the quality and accuracy of their subbing and I actually prefer their sub this week to AiA's.

Graham

AnimeFriend/StarPro thing was during ye olde days of animation so it could hardly be used as a yardstick today for bad animation since most anime during those days were just....well...bad. Frontier's art/animation is bordering on today's anime standards of bad. Which is jarring really as the backgrounds and the scenes are beautiful. But from next episode preview, it would seem the quality is back up.

That said I almost cried when Ranka looks up into space where the ships folded out with Diamond Crevasse playing in the background.

I gotta disagree with you. Frontier ep 6 wasn't any worse than the entire run of a show like Spice and Wolf or some of the less then great episodes of Haruhi and it was much better than then some episodes of shows like Naruto and Bleach. Naruto and Bleach are particularly bad because when the episode is drawn by the "b" team, even the backgrounds take a hit.

Just a guess, but I think the Ex-Gears are already in the cockpit and only attach at a command from the pilot, i.e. if he chooses to eject.

BTW, I love the fast start up time of the VF-25. Obviously, it's not using a Microsoft OS. LOL!

Graham

Watched both the Gattai and AiA I-Z subbed versions. I enjoyed the episode more with being able to understand the dialogue, than I did watching the raw version.

On second and third viewing, the character animation didn't seem as bad as it did the first time I watched the episode. Still hope the regular studio is back on art duties from now on. Anybody knows which studio(s) did the animation for eps 1-5?

Gattai does seem to be improving in the quality and accuracy of their subbing and I actually prefer their sub this week to AiA's.

Graham

I believe someone posted about the studio being in Manila.

Unfortunately taking a close look at the previews at the end of episode 6 for episode 7, looks like the 2d animation is of the same quality as the 6th.

At least they got some hot 3d space battle action to make up for it.

Not too sure who did what but I'm pretty sure Nara Studios are the ones who did the better looking ones like episode 1 and 5.

Unfortunately taking a close look at the previews at the end of episode 6 for episode 7, looks like the 2d animation is of the same quality as the 6th.

At least they got some hot 3d space battle action to make up for it.

Not too sure who did what but I'm pretty sure Nara Studios are the ones who did the better looking ones like episode 1 and 5.

I'd have to agree. Episode 7 appears to be using the same "second unit studio" (is that the correct term? It reminds me of second unit in film terms, but I don't know if that applies in animation).

BTW, I love the fast start up time of the VF-25. Obviously, it's not using a Microsoft OS. LOL!

What are normal run-up times on fixed wing fighter aircraft with glass cockpits? I know military helicopters take around 15-30 minutes depending on mission equipment.

That of course would make for a boring episode...great mecha pr0n though.

The pacing in Frontier shows a welcome maturity, which has been missing from its mecha contemporaries for some time (I'm looking at you, Gundam). The show could have easily jumped into some huge fracas after the last episode, but instead we're treated to a well done buildup to the launch sequence. Sub-par animation be damned, this is one damn fine show, and I'd rather watch the remainder of Frontier in pencil tests that suffer through another episode of Gundam 00. Seriously, the show has gone 5 for 8 in terms of good animation, so its hardly time to panic just yet. Hell, even the otherwise gorgeous Stand Alone Complex had a clunker or two.

Kinda small I think, I wish it was bigger, maybe around 500m-800m would do.

And this makes the show better...how? Jesus, stats and the like are fine and dandy, if you're still at the ager where role-playing is a fun way to spend friday night, but otherwise focusing on minutia like this is unhealthy. 20 more episodes of this kind of discussion and we're going to make Trekkies look good in comparison.

I gotta disagree with you. Frontier ep 6 wasn't any worse than the entire run of a show like Spice and Wolf or some of the less then great episodes of Haruhi and it was much better than then some episodes of shows like Naruto and Bleach. Naruto and Bleach are particularly bad because when the episode is drawn by the "b" team, even the backgrounds take a hit.

No one and i mean NO ONE can fault Kyoto Animation for bad art/animation. Seriously. ZOMG check out that lens flare. :lol:

Sub-par animation be damned, this is one damn fine show, and I'd rather watch the remainder of Frontier in pencil tests that suffer through another episode of Gundam 00. Seriously, the show has gone 5 for 8 in terms of good animation, so its hardly time to panic just yet. Hell, even the otherwise gorgeous Stand Alone Complex had a clunker or two.

Be very careful for what you wish for. At the rate we are going it does seem that Frontier will go down that route. I'm slightly annoyed that Aquarion's 2D art looks better than Frontier in general...though Aquarion also suffered in drops of quality halfway through.

And guys, almost all animations studios save the bigger/successful ones subcontract to overseas firms. Usually Korea. This Manilla one is a first that i've heard though.

But we see him sitting in the cockpit in figher mode in that exact same scene.

I don't think the RVF-25 next to the Q-Rea in that shot was Luca's as mentioned. Probably a spare.

And guys, almost all animations studios save the bigger/successful ones subcontract to overseas firms. Usually Korea.

Korea or China...IIRC, Gundam 00 subcontracted out to China, which was how we got some spoilers.