Macross Frontier Episode 6 Talkback Thread *READ 1st Post*

azrael

Episode 6 Rating  

205 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate Episode 6?

• Positive (Prelude to action?!?!?!?!?!)
    • Neutral/No Opinion
    • Negative ("Bye Bye Sheryl"? More like "Good Riddance")

AiA is up! ... sorry if this is old already

Not old news to me so thanks for that. Looks like they might be back to their "normal" release rate after the break they had last week. Cool.

Taksraven

Seriously, what gives with all the comments on the Quarter? It's the New Macross 25 and they nicknamed it the Quarter. Does it really need to be spelled out any more than that? Or, alternatively, maybe it's not the NM 25, but SMS considers it the fleet's main battleship so they call it the Quarter to thumb their nose at the NUNS fleet? Either way, makes perfect sense to me.

The Macross quarter is definitely not the New Macross 25. You can see it undocking from the side of Island One, not the very front. Plus, until its launch, the Quarter was covered while it was docked.

Seriously, what gives with all the comments on the Quarter? It's the New Macross 25 and they nicknamed it the Quarter. Does it really need to be spelled out any more than that? Or, alternatively, maybe it's not the NM 25, but SMS considers it the fleet's main battleship so they call it the Quarter to thumb their nose at the NUNS fleet? Either way, makes perfect sense to me.

Umm, no, the Macross 25 is attached to the front of Island 1, the Macross Quarter is berthed to the side of Island 1. Apparently it is no larger than a CVN carrier, but carriers uber firepower and the VF-25s.

I tend to think it is an experiment in Civilian defense should the Macross 25 be either separated from the City ship or destroyed. Mac 7 proved that the City was very vulnerable without its main battleship.

Macross Quarter - Macross Compendium

The Macross Quarter is the operational base of the S.M.S. in the Macross Frontier fleet. It is one-quarter the size of the current Macross class warship and approximately the size of regular carriers. Colonel Jeffrey Wilder is the ship's captain.

I can't wait to see it in action and transformation. Given the smaller size, something tells me the Quarter is highly maneuverable!

The Macross quarter is definitely not the New Macross 25. You can see it undocking from the side of Island One, not the very front. Plus, until its launch, the Quarter was covered while it was docked.

Yeah, I don't think it'll even be as large as the Fleet's main battleship. Going by relative size, the Quarter seems a lot smaller than something that would be the lead cruiser for a colonization fleet.

Yeah, I don't think it'll even be as large as the Fleet's main battleship. Going by relative size, the Quarter seems a lot smaller than something that would be the lead cruiser for a colonization fleet.

Considering the NMC Macross 25 is about 1200m long the Quarter would be 300m long. Similar in length the the US Nimitz class CVN...

Edited by Zinjo

Considering the NMC Macross 25 is about 1200m long the Quarter would be 300m long. Similar in length the the US Nimitz class CVN...

That is even smaller than the main carriers at that era (Guantanamo ^400 m, Uraga ~550 m). I think the Quarter is 1/4th size of a New Macross class (1,500 m), so the Quarter should be around 400 m).

Kinda small I think, I wish it was bigger, maybe around 500m-800m would do. Judging from the deck shot from ep.6 I think the front "carrier" arm itself is around 300 m.

Just saw it. I think this might be the best episode so far-- storytelling-wise anyway, as it went light on the homages so they didn't feel like rip-offs and brought compelling story elements of its own. The buildup worked well with the song, and I enjoyed the pacing towards the end even though nothing really happens. Maybe I was just feeling emo. The Quarter's design looks interesting, though we haven't got that many clear shots of it yet, but I like the feel of what I've seen so far and the way the design elements harken back to the SDF-1 and Prometheus. Fan service was also much more restrained and I can almost take Sheryl seriously. But a character who looks uncannily like Misa Hiyase, who wears the same style of uniform, who just happens to find herself the flight controller? Who would have thunk that? I will enjoy her character in that role of course, but I have to say that's pretty much a Misa Hiyase ripoff. Still good, overall, even despite the drop in animation quality.

Umm, no, the Macross 25 is attached to the front of Island 1, the Macross Quarter is berthed to the side of Island 1. Apparently it is no larger than a CVN carrier, but carriers uber firepower and the VF-25s.

I tend to think it is an experiment in Civilian defense should the Macross 25 be either separated from the City ship or destroyed. Mac 7 proved that the City was very vulnerable without its main battleship.

You learn something new every day. Still, my point stands. Seems the second part of my statement, the conjecture that it wasn't the 25 but gets the name Quarter as a play on words/numbers, is even more on the money than I expected. So the ship is a quarter the size of the New Macross Class ships? Neat, explains the proportions on the bridge and the VFs sitting on the flight deck.

I do hope we also get to see the Macross 25, even moreso now. Would love to see the size differences illustrated in a dramatic fleet battle sequence.

I liked episode 6 as it helps build up to the Itano Circus fest that will be episode 7 :D The animation was off on this episode, hope it doesn't get any worse becomes less frequent. I loved the end sequence with Sheryl singing and the launching of the Macross 1/4, can't wait to see that baby in action. As for who's going to die, my money is on Klan Klan. No particular reason.

Think of it this way...I shudder to say this but...

Macross Quarter = this show's White Base/Argama/Pegasus

It's just the typical small ship that flies around holding the main characters and their dozen mecha. It is by no means the Macross 25 which would make no sense to be under S.M.S.

Edited by ComicKaze

WOOOOHOOOOOO

ABSOLUTELY AWESOME EPISODE!!! :D

Sure we didn't see any combat this episode, but I think helped set the mood nicely for the upcoming episodes! Absolutely brilliant in that regard. The interaction between Alto and Ranka were humorously awkward... Alto infatuated with Sherly - LOL - although I would be too if a beautiful celebrity like her was interested in me.

Was it just me or did the episode seem a bit short? It felt amazingly quick - and not in a bad way. It makes me want for the next one immediately.

Sheryl's opening song during her concert set the mood nicely as well. An excellent fit with the preparations and launch of the SMS Macross Quarter (is that the name?)

Also, is it just me or were the score composers channeling Pirates of the Caribbean when they wrote the music played when the Recon fighters were being launched? Good music anyway...

Lastly, am I the only one who absolutely hated the emphasis on an Alto/Ranka relationship in the future? I mean, its frickin' obvious. What anime character ever ends up with their first girlfriend/boyfriend or the person they were romantically attached to at the start? (In most cases anyway) Although given the remarkable likeness between Catharine Glass and Lisa Hayes (robotech)...the writers could put a twist somewhere there. hahaha

Maybe after they kill off Ozma? (You gotta admit, theres a 50% chance of that happening given the number of killed mentors out there.) He wants to protect everyone under his command, but can he save himself while doing it? ;)

So far even though there are homages, they never exactly play out the way that we expect. I can say that Alto has a good a chance of getting on with Sheryl at the end rather than Ranka.

I am betting instead of a love triangle i.e. Ranka, Alto, Sheryl , there would be a four sided love relations, called it a rectangular love if you will, i.e between Mikhail, Ranka, Alto & Sheryl.

It appears that Mikhail has interests in Ranka. In the beginning of episode 6, Mikhail is more interested in Alto's feelings of Ranka rather than the relationship between Alto and Sheryl. At GalaxyBucks, Mikhail was also observing the interaction between Alto & Ranka. Maybe we have a happy ending for all, Ranka ending up with Mikhail and Alto ending with w/ Sheryl. Oh wait, where does that leave Klan Klan ? <_<

Maybe after they kill off Ozma? (You gotta admit, theres a 50% chance of that happening given the number of killed mentors out there.) He wants to protect everyone under his command, but can he save himself while doing it? ;)

Well he almost bit the dust already. Think it was ep.4 Not 100% sure. But i am with you on that one. Good chance he might get killed off.

As far as the animation quality i look at it this way. More money into Ep 7 :lol: so we can see this nice Pocket sized Macross class earn its stripes.

Anyone know where did the M and a quarter launched from?

Okay, but was it chocolate or strawberry?

Good god....this is MACROSSWORLDDDD!!! :lol:

Yes its a chocolate pocky for chrissakes!

You're kidding, right?

Considering the drop in animation quality for this episode, I'd say it's safe to assume any discrepancies such as this can be taken with a grain of salt.

Now, as for my thoughts on the episode, I'd have to say that despite the flawed animation this is my favourite episode so far. I was expecting them to rush into battle, but they really took their time, a whole episode, to build up to the battle. This episode is going to be a big part of what makes the next episode feel so epic. After all, all action with no buildup is hollow and forgettable.

Of course, it would have helped if the animation was better. I think both camps are right, at times it was the motion that was questionable, and at other times it was the drawing that was lacking. Plenty of examples of both in the episode, and you can see some of the latter in the a couple of the posted screen shots.

On the other hand, this episode's animation didn't really detract enough to ruin the build up for me, in large part thanks to some excellent directing. The whole prep and liftoff sequence for the Quarter, interwoven with the concert, was great. If they clean up the animation for the DVD/BluRay release, should be fantastic. Of course, the thing you have to remember is that next episode looks to be action packed. If the animation in this episode was lacking in order for the animators to concentrate on making next episode absolutely amazing, I think I'll be able to find it in my heart to forgive them. If not, I think that will compound the disappointment and make most people worry for future episodes.

In any case, I'm utterly stoked for the next episode. I also feel as though this episode really plowed the show away from homages to the past, and felt very much like it's own thing. Next week can't come soon enough.

As most people said, the Quarter isn't the main flagship. It is definately smaller than the original Macross and it definately feels like a special forces ship. I like how they are finally making a surgical strike team in Macross. Someone mentioned it was the Macross version of Whitebase.....i hate you.....for being right. :lol:

And thank God to Radd and whoever that noticed the drop in art/animation. Yay i'm no longer alone. :lol: Like i mentioned 3 eps back, the trend is worrying and it still is. Anyway....i loved the direction of this episode. Props to mr. kawamori or whoever is doing the episode directions.

I hate it that Klan Klan is just a background....i mean literally...background character. She just lounges around in the background teasing the viewers.....damnit! She better be getting some nice buildup in later episodes!

Willing to be my second last Yoshinol that Klan Klan and Mikhail get together, but that he'll get giant to accomodate their needs. He seems part Zentran anyway.

And about love triangles? How about this - at the end of the series, Sheryl ends up with RANKA.

We live in a modern world, don't we? ;)

Mark

Woo my first post! I've kinda been stalking for awhile seeing whats going on.

Well this isn't episode specific but... I guess Ranka specific... Has anyone thought of her family? Like who they are? I was thinking that they could make a Jenius family connection and have her be the daughter of one of the older Jenius children. The idea makes sense to me.

That is even smaller than the main carriers at that era (Guantanamo ^400 m, Uraga ~550 m). I think the Quarter is 1/4th size of a New Macross class (1,500 m), so the Quarter should be around 400 m).

Kinda small I think, I wish it was bigger, maybe around 500m-800m would do. Judging from the deck shot from ep.6 I think the front "carrier" arm itself is around 300 m.

Ah, yes. My bad.

You are right the NMC is about 1550m, which would make the Quarter about 387m which is larger than the Nimitz and Enterprise classes..

Keep in mind, that despite it's size it's the only battle carrier capable of transformation for its size.

Ah, yes. My bad.

You are right the NMC is about 1550m, which would make the Quarter about 387m which is larger than the Nimitz and Enterprise classes..

Keep in mind, that despite it's size it's the only battle carrier capable of transformation for its size.

I was particularly impressed with the haunting tune Diamond Crevasse as the closing theme to the episode. Definitely conveyed the peril the cast members were putting themselves in, not to mention the meloncholy feelings Sheryl must have been feeling over the attack on her home...

Ah, yes. My bad.

And it has big guns! Who doesn't love big guns!?

I'm assuming now that the transformed ship in the opening is the Macross Quarter? It sure looks like it but there was no way of knowing until we saw the ship. :)

And don't say "OMG you didn't know that???!!" because there's no way anyone could have known until Episode 6! :p

Edited by MisaForever

I'm assuming now that the transformed ship in the opening is the Macross Quarter? It sure looks like it but there was no way of knowing until we saw the ship. :)

Yeah I assumed it was the Frontier in the OP, but now I wonder if that isn't supposed to be the Quarter.

-Sergorn

And don't say "OMG you didn't know that???!!" because there's no way anyone could have known until Episode 6! :p

"OMG you didn't know that???!!", I just had to say it because you said "don't"... :p

However, you are right, I tried to figure out how the NMC could transform into that ship.

I like the idea of SMS clause that in an state of emergency they must act under the command of the military...at least gives NUNS a bit of control now...I think

Yeah, but something sure does stink about it all. You really get the feeling of back room deals and one side trying to get the upper hand on the other after watching episode 6. Agendas ahoy!

It could be possible that the "current" Macross class ships are even larger than the existing New Macross Class, which would make the Macross Quarter much larger. There may be something to this. For example, the Island 1 is much larger than City 7, but the Macross 25 Carrier attached to the front of Island 1 seems to be in the scaled up proportion, suggesting the Macross 25 may be larger than the Battle 7. Hopefully some statistics come out next episode (via the Macross Frontier site).

Yeah, but something sure does stink about it all. You really get the feeling of back room deals and one side trying to get the upper hand on the other after watching episode 6. Agendas ahoy!

Yeah, the Quarter commander mentions that a special deal was struck between NUNS and the SMS just to launch the ship from it's berth.

Clearly all SMS gear is not yet the property of NUNS, therefore not expendable...

The Compendium lists Island-One at 15km's.

Does that include the attached Battle 25 and City Connector?

I'd be surprised if the Macross 25 was any larger than before. The Battle 7 took up a large proportion of City 7, whereas the Battle 25 is almost unoticable at the front of Island 1.

Edited by Zinjo