Macross Frontier Episode 6 Talkback Thread *READ 1st Post*

azrael

Episode 6 Rating  

205 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate Episode 6?

• Positive (Prelude to action?!?!?!?!?!)
    • Neutral/No Opinion
    • Negative ("Bye Bye Sheryl"? More like "Good Riddance")

Admittedly, I don't buy many anime DVDs these days (my last purchase being the Macross Zero R2 disks), but I've never heard of a TV series anime having the animation redrawn for the DVD release. Has this actually happened before? Anybody know any examples of anime TV series where this has happened for the DVD release?

It does happen, but I don't think they will do it for Macross Frontier. AFAIK Gurren Lagann and Nadesico are two examples that comes to my mind.

FV

Edited by Final Vegeta

Admittedly, I don't buy many anime DVDs these days (my last purchase being the Macross Zero R2 disks), but I've never heard of a TV series anime having the animation redrawn for the DVD release. Has this actually happened before? Anybody know any examples of anime TV series where this has happened for the DVD release?

To correct episode 6, is not just a minor touch-up. IMO they would completely reanimate the character parts of episode 6.

Graham

Personally, I'm crossing my fingers and hoping that Kawamori will do a George Lucas on the whole series when its released on Blu-Ray or DVD. Get all the animation fixed up, correcting errors, adding some stuff and looking exactly the way he wanted it had there been no time constraints. :D

Personally, I'm crossing my fingers and hoping that Kawamori will do a George Lucas on the whole series when its released on Blu-Ray or DVD. Get all the animation fixed up, correcting errors, adding some stuff and looking exactly the way he wanted it had there been no time constraints. :D

I think Lucas does all that stuff on his own dime.

And I'd personally just as soon avoid the inevitable fanboy whining about Han shooting first ... :)

Man I'm loving this series here is a pic of ranka going to sheryl concert scene

http://img106.imageshack.us/img106/946/13890220qv1.jpg

Is it just me or did anyone notice that she ran all the way there! I mean, that has got to be like halfway around Macross Frontier! Sure, if you're on a date you can catch a trolley but when you're late for a concert on your own, you have to walk/run to get there? :lol:

Edited by raymond

It does happen, but I don't think they will do it for Macross Frontier. AFAIK Gurren Lagann and Nadesico are two examples that comes to my mind.

FV

Don't forget Evangelion episodes 21-24...almost completely redone for the laser disk.

As for Ozma...I've said it before, but the odds of surviving a Macross series are pretty good, even if you're one of the bad guys. So yeah...Ozma may well live.

And yet...I can't shake the feeling that the world of Macross Froniter is a little more dangerous than, say, that of Macross 7...

To correct episode 6, is not just a minor touch-up. IMO they would completely reanimate the character parts of episode 6.

Graham

I am pretty sure that another Satellite series(Heat Guy J) ,went through the same thing. It ended up looking pretty damn awesome once it got to DVD.

Graham

The first Negima series is one of the most recent examples I can think of - there were a number of complaints about animation quality/character designs/etc. and they made a variety of fixes/etc. for the DVD release of the show. So I don't think it's unheard of. From some of the screenshot comparisons I saw, they literally did reanimate entire character parts/etc. to make things more consistent.

Well, can someone remind me when did everyone's favorite main character bites it in Nadesico? It's been a while. That was effectively used to prove a point in that series.

That said, there's more they could do with Ozuma so I don't think, or at least hope, he's going bite it just yet.

Very early, right after the escape from Earth.

-Elektrix

Edited by Elektrix

The first Negima series is one of the most recent examples I can think of - there were a number of complaints about animation quality/character designs/etc. and they made a variety of fixes/etc. for the DVD release of the show. So I don't think it's unheard of. From some of the screenshot comparisons I saw, they literally did reanimate entire character parts/etc. to make things more consistent.

Very early, right after the escape from Earth.

-Elektrix

Where did the complaints come from? the fanbase or was it more of a unanimous opinion of critics/reviewers? Just curious as to what kind of impact a request from the fanbase can have on the actual release of the DVD's, if this is something the fans are willing to pursue, now would be a good time to let them know our concerns, before the discs go into production, we have to keep in mind, that the first volume comes out late July, which is literally around the corner. If the fanbase had nothing to do with it, then we'll just have to wait, and see what happens.

As for the episode itself, I thought it was pretty good, overall, I might have liked episode 5 a little better, but the closing sequence was really powerful, they did an amazing job with the editing there, can't wait for episode 7 though, it's going to be pretty epic.

Where did the complaints come from? the fanbase or was it more of a unanimous opinion of critics/reviewers?

Well, I'm sure sometimes the animators themselves know the final product is a bit subpar but they're working on a deadline for a weekly show.

Graham

Where did the complaints come from? the fanbase or was it more of a unanimous opinion of critics/reviewers? Just curious as to what kind of impact a request from the fanbase can have on the actual release of the DVD's, if this is something the fans are willing to pursue, now would be a good time to let them know our concerns, before the discs go into production, we have to keep in mind, that the first volume comes out late July, which is literally around the corner. If the fanbase had nothing to do with it, then we'll just have to wait, and see what happens.

Judging from the replies here, it seems fairly common and fanbase complaints likely don't have much to do with it. A couple of other series that were retouched for DVD were Yomigaeru Sora - RESCUE WINGS - and The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya.

I just watched this episode again after reading the plot summary, and actually got chills during the last few scenes featuring the Diamond Crevasse song... very well put together episode!

While I envy and respect the discerning eye of many of the fans here, I have to say that I had no problems whatsoever with the animation quality. While I'm sure that they are there, I'm having trouble finding all of the flaws that have been mentioned.

Just one of the few advantages of being an old fart who grew up during a time when the animation quality of shows like Super Dimensional Fortress Macross and Gatchaman was considered outstanding , I guess. ;)

By the way; if anyone else out there had trouble following exactly what was going on in the RAW of this episode, here's the summary-

(source: Raymond Santos Estrella blog)

After having heard Ranka singing at the mall, an agent from Vector Promotion named Elmo Kridanik sets up a meeting with Ozma to ask him to allow Ranka to be taken in by the agency. Sometime later, Alto is in class looking at the earring that he had finally found, and Mikhail teases him about it being a present for his girlfriend. Mikhail thinks that Alto had been on a date with Sheryl, and when Alto denies that it was a date, Mikhail brings up the kiss. What Mikhail is more concerned about is the kind of relationship Alto has with Ranka, and while they’re talking, Nanase comes running with news about Ranka being scouted. The group joins Ranka for drinks to congratulate her, and Nanase is so thrilled that she announces the formation of the Ranka Lee Fan Club. While the others are talking, Ranka apologizes to Alto because she wanted to tell him first but also didn’t want to bother him. Alto uses the chance to reveal that he had been at the mall, but he claims that he was alone at the time. He also gives Ranka the ticket to Sheryl’s farewell concert.

Shortly thereafter, the group’s attention is turned to a message being broadcast throughout the colony ship by the Frontier President Howard Glass. To everyone’s surprise, he makes public the existence the Vajra and how the Vajra have attacked the Macross Galaxy fleet. While the President is speaking, Mikhail gets a call from Ozma ordering them back to base. Ozma also calls up Ranka to reassure her that neither he nor any of the other pilots are going to die. After returning to his bunk at the SMS, Alto watches a press conference held by Sheryl where she asserts her belief that the Macross Galaxy fleet—her home—is safe. She also insists that her concert tonight will go forward as planned and that she’ll return to the Galaxy fleet. Hearing all this motivates Alto to go see her at the concert hall. The staff there try to stop him backstage, but Sheryl hears the commotion and declares that Alto is her friend.

Once the two are alone, Sheryl reveals that the earrings are a memento from her mother. She then asks Alto if he likes this ship, and he answers that he hates it because there is no sky there. Though he asks her back the same question with regard to the Macross Galaxy, she doesn’t get to respond because he suddenly gets a phone call. Mikhail is the one who called and wants Alto to return immediately because they’re being sent to one of the surviving Galaxy ships that was discovered along with a large swarm of Vajra. After Mikhail hangs up, Sheryl asks if Alto is going, and so he reminds her that he’s a pilot. He then tries to return the earring, but Sheryl decides that he should hold on to it since it’s a good-luck charm. She goes on to admit that she actually hated Macross Galaxy since she didn’t have any relatives there, and seeing her talk like this causes Alto to tell her to give him a break because he has a hard time reacting to it. Regardless, he takes the earring as good luck, and Sheryl makes it clear that she’s only lending it to him.

Alto quickly heads back to the SMS ship where launch preparations are already well underway, and he ends up hanging the earring in his VF-25’s cockpit. As the SMS ship is launching, Ozma tells Kanaria of his promise to Ranka not to die, and he informs all of his pilots that none of them are allowed to die either. While this is going on, Ranka is racing towards the concert hall where Sheryl has already begun performing Diamond Crevasse, and she happens to see the ships make the space fold jump to their destination.

I have to agree with Wraith on the animation comments. I will say this though, on these boards, the "cool" thing to do, is to find flaws in everything, at least for many it is. I guess it's a way to stand out, I guess, but in any case, the animation compared to many other things is much better, and on the grand scale of anime out there, it's up there. I'll be waiting to see the action unfold next week, which should look to be one heck of an event. I do like the slower pace of this one, which has drilled a bit more into the depth of the characters. That makes it more of a story. Of course, that's just my opinion.

I will say this though, on these boards, the "cool" thing to do, is to find flaws in everything, at least for many it is. I guess it's a way to stand out, I guess...

Hey, how about we stick to talking about episode 6, and not your views on the membership? :)

Concert hall looks like it's at Coit Tower (or at least vicinity of). I've watched the Blue Angels from there, awesome.

Loving the fact the city is modeled after SF Bay Area. :)

Well...technically, it's not just the Bay Area...some of it is the Shibuya area of Tokyo, and the Griffith Observatory is here in L.A.

But whatever city is cloest to the New Edwards Air Force Base was also San Francisco-ish (at least, the Golden Gate was there), and we also know that Basara visited SF as well, judging from the ending credits of Dynamite 7...

Good question; I don't really know what the history was behind it - I just remember when the show was being released on DVD that a variety of sites covered the "fixed" animation with lots of comparison shots/etc.

Here's a typical example:

http://anime.thenexxus.org/blog/archives/2...a_dvd_impr.html

It seems like the general issues had to do more with sort of incomplete animation; so the DVD releases seemed to fill in more details/etc. (or more fanservice).

As a note, it seems like most of these were more about filling in details/etc. rather than wholesale modifications of poor character animation/etc.

-Elektrix

Edited by Elektrix

Well...technically, it's not just the Bay Area...some of it is the Shibuya area of Tokyo, and the Griffith Observatory is here in L.A.

But whatever city is cloest to the New Edwards Air Force Base was also San Francisco-ish (at least, the Golden Gate was there), and we also know that Basara visited SF as well, judging from the ending credits of Dynamite 7...

Also the place where they were having coffee with the wierd looking UFO shape overhead is actually the Fashion Show Mall here in Las Vegas.

Damn, I go to work and miss nearly two pages of whether or not Ozma will die? Let alone an avatar request for same? :lol:

Perhaps a better question might be who apart from Alto (and probably Nanase) is guaranteed to survive the show...

post-7714-1210476849_thumb.png

post-7714-1210476861_thumb.png

Damn, I go to work and miss nearly two pages of whether or not Ozma will die? Let alone an avatar request for same? :lol:

Perhaps a better question might be who apart from Alto (and probably Nanase) is guaranteed to survive the show...

Now thats a sweet avatar there, nice work!

Also the place where they were having coffee with the wierd looking UFO shape overhead is actually the Fashion Show Mall here in Las Vegas.

Really? I'm beginning to wonder if Island 1 isn't merely a mishmash of everywhere Kawamori's visited. I expect that part of it looks like New Delhi, as well...

I'm betting Alto will eventually die. It would be a very big twist and be very different from the past series.

He'll die and we'll all be saying "okay so when is he going to show back up like Gamlin?... Anytime now... Maybe in the last episode... Holy crap they really killed him!"

What's with all the blood bath and body count talk? :wacko: It is Macross and not a Shakespear play. :lol:

They already killed off Gilliam so Alto can step into his shoes. At this point, getting rid of another main character is not going to help the three main characters (Alto, Ranka and Sheryl) develope.

So the next episode will be more of Alto improving his flight skills and SMS team work. We might learn more about Ozma and Katherine's past relationship. We might also learn more about the Galaxy fleet and their mecha. Ranka gets to sing more. New characters might be introduced to stir the love triangle a bit, Sheryl's ex-boyfriend or someone like that.

I don't know why, but suddenly I've got the feeling that we may see many many things from previous Macross OVAS/series/movies in the upcoming episodes, hehehehe...

Why could it be? ^_^

(Macross 7/Zero haters... BEWARE!!!) :ph34r:

Edited by Kronnang Dunn