Millia, Milia, Milla, or Miria???

mister_e

Well, the pronunciation is almost all the same. I don't know if double ls are pronounced like they are in Spanish for words like "ella" (eya). So it it could be spelled Millia and it'd be pronounced "Miya" or something like that, I pronounce it like that. Really a hard topic to touch upon. :unsure:

What about region to region? Even though Kanji is the dominant dialect, there are other dialects that might be used in the packaging of products. :unsure:

Urr, you mean Kantou dialect, and no, it has no bearing on the pronounciation.

I think the original romanization of her name is 'miria' which is just pronounced as me-ree-ahh. After that, you can Englishify it anyway you want.

Kanji isn't a dialect, it's a script for writing in. Okinawa traditionally had a whole set of vocabulary all its own, not sure about grammatical structure. And no doubt the Ainu population originally spoke differently to everyone else. But nowadays all Japanese speak Japanese, and all products are labelled in it.

Modern dialects are basically regional terminology and alternatives to normal Japanese grammar which everyone understands regardless and are not the norm in print or packaging unless they want to evoke some local flavor. So different words can be used to say the same things, but these are different words. Names don't change by dialect.

Millia is only written as Miria in Katakana -- a phonetic script -- so the pronunciation is only confusing with respect to whether the "r" represents an "l" or not, and the spelling is slightly ambiguous. The official spelling is Millia.

Even certain normal Japanese names can be spelled in a number of ways. Kaworu = Kaoru. Ichijo = Ichijou = Ichijoh = Ichijoe. When in doubt, just go with the official spelling.

Macross Compendium lists it as "Milia", and that's good enough for me.

Thats what I go by.

What I found strange though was Yamato making it Miria on the 1/60 toy.

Of course they mangled Max's last name too lol.

Graham you really need to teach them how to spell.

Kanji isn't a dialect, it's a script for writing in. Okinawa traditionally had a whole set of vocabulary all its own, not sure about grammatical structure. And no doubt the Ainu population originally spoke differently to everyone else. But nowadays all Japanese speak Japanese, and all products are labelled in it.

Modern dialects are basically regional terminology and alternatives to normal Japanese grammar which everyone understands regardless and are not the norm in print or packaging unless they want to evoke some local flavor. So different words can be used to say the same things, but these are different words. Names don't change by dialect.

Millia is only written as Miria in Katakana -- a phonetic script -- so the pronunciation is only confusing with respect to whether the "r" represents an "l" or not, and the spelling is slightly ambiguous. The official spelling is Millia.

Even certain normal Japanese names can be spelled in a number of ways. Kaworu = Kaoru. Ichijo = Ichijou = Ichijoh = Ichijoe. When in doubt, just go with the official spelling.

While it's true that in Japanese (as in English, with differences in American, Australian, and British dialects) the difference in dialects is usually just some local words that mean the same thing, and can in most cases be understood by people that don't speak that dialect but still speak the same language, that's not always the case. Check out Chinese. Today, all of the different Chinese dialects use the same grammar and is written with the same characters (well, mainland China uses slightly simplified versions). A person from Shanghai can write something down, and a person from Beijing will understand it. But if they read what they wrote in their local dialect, it's basically a foreign language to them. Lots of us know that Cantonese Chinese and Mandarin Chinese is different, but there are actually many many more different Chinese dialects. They're just not as well-known because mainland China and Taiwan use Mandarin Chinese for their "official language," while Cantonese is commonly spoken in Hong Kong (and even at that, I think people in Hong Kong usually can speak Mandarin, too).

There's obviously an "R" sound in there and not an "L" (when Max calls out to her when she appears in her VF-22 in that last ep of M7 comes to mind). so I'd prefer "Miria." The Robotech "Miriya" is guess isn't inappropriate but I prefer the simpler spelling which gets the same point across. ;)

all the while during SDF-tv I only heard "Milia" (whether that's 'l' or 'll' is beside the point)

and if in Japanese certain characters are interchangable like 'l' and 'r'

the only way to be sure is to hear how something is pronounced

(I have 1 'r' in my last name, no matter how you write it in japanese, when speaking it's pronounced 'r' not 'l')

I understand, mikeszekely, which is why I mentioned Okinawan and Ainu, but modern Japanese is about as diverse as your American, English, and Australian example. When someone speaks in Osaka-ben a person from the Kantou region doesn't scratch their head, they just say "oh, you're from Kansai." There may be some terms that need explaining, but it just doesn't compare to Chinese dialects.

There's obviously an "R" sound in there and not an "L" (when Max calls out to her when she appears in her VF-22 in that last ep of M7 comes to mind). so I'd prefer "Miria." The Robotech "Miriya" is guess isn't inappropriate but I prefer the simpler spelling which gets the same point across. ;)

That's because there's no L in Japanese. The closest sound they can make is R. Even if they mean L, it will still sound like R.

:ph34r: Ninja member say: "As long as it have green hair, whatever you call it okay by me!"

Pretty much any spelling is okay I think. Officially, I've seen Millia and Milia. I tend to trust Millia the most. There's also Miria, Miriya, etc.

Vostok 7

• 2 weeks later...

It's "Milia."

I'm not touching "Minmei/Minmay" even though I lean towards Minmei for obvious reasons (She's Chinese)...

The obvious stuff people already pointed out. Japanese have no "L" sound (its a funny "rolled" L/R thing), Kanji is the Chinese chatacter system, not a dialect or speech, yes Japanese have different dialects andshit (Kansai-ben and Oki-talk come to mind :)), and so on and so on.

Egan Loo says its "Milia" and I can live with that. :D

Also you can never go by the Japanese nd what they put on their products because even they are inconsistent as hell... for example especially with MS Gundam products, you see Zion, Jeon, Jion, and now we have Zeon since it has been determined that it is the official pronounciation of the seperatist movement.

Shrugh.

It's "Milia."

It's "Milia."

I'm not touching "Minmei/Minmay" even though I lean towards Minmei for obvious reasons (She's Chinese)...

The obvious stuff people already pointed out. Japanese have no "L" sound (its a funny "rolled" L/R thing), Kanji is the Chinese chatacter system, not a dialect or speech, yes Japanese have different dialects andshit (Kansai-ben and Oki-talk come to mind :)), and so on and so on.

Egan Loo says its "Milia" and I can live with that. :D

Also you can never go by the Japanese nd what they put on their products because even they are inconsistent as hell... for example especially with MS Gundam products, you see Zion, Jeon, Jion, and now we have Zeon since it has been determined that it is the official pronounciation of the seperatist movement.

Shrugh.

It's "Milia."

Good enough for me....and I love your avatar :blink: